• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The more I think about it, the more I suspect the PS5 reveal will happen in one of two ways:

1. State of Play or similar video unveiling (occurring 2/20 or end of february(ish, maybe March), which is why Sony hasn't announced yet since it doesn't need to be in advance):

- Specs discussion (minimum, but not final numbers). Maybe vague references to power multipliers.
- Mark Cerny discussion with developer panel interviews
- Reveal of launch games and launch window games, but with no reveal of games beyond Spring of 2021 (Demon Souls remake, Ratchet, etc...no God of War or Horizon 2).

- Sony will then follow up with physical hardware design, pricing, maybe launch date around E3 in May. They may also show longer-term PS5 projects (God of War, Horizon 2, etc).

2. Blue-Ball Approach. No teasing until it's all revealed with a mega-blowout around E3.

No state of play, just everything all at once.

I'm sort of leaning towards Option 1, because I feel Sony would have maybe announced #2 already just to not keep people hanging. Plus, I think third parties are waiting to talk and promote their fall 2020 games. I'm also somewhat thinking Shu's tweet was a serious reverse-troll.

Audiophile

That new playstation ad is giving me nostalgic, creepy-Sony vibes. Even the font of the "feel the power of PlayStation" at the end is pure PS1/PS2 era stuff.

Nostalgia's a powerful drug, Sony should hook into it!

video054_3.JPG

orig_7f2106cee1e56e7f23fa649e6a739348.jpg

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
That new playstation ad is giving me nostalgic, creepy-Sony vibes. Even the font saying of the "feel the power of PlayStation" at the end is pure PS1/PS2 era stuff.

Nostalgia's a powerful drug, Sony should hook into it!

video054_3.JPG

orig_7f2106cee1e56e7f23fa649e6a739348.jpg
Where's the new ad?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Where's the new ad?

Here's the ad.

But what will really freak people out is discovering that this is actually "in engine" from PS5 footage of a new game going by 'Dark Tunnels.' Possibly not the final name- a sci-fi horror game that will be a launch title or at least no later than Q1 2021!

lol. :messenger_beaming:

Mass Shift

Where's the new ad?

It's not a new ad, but many people haven't seen it before because Sony doesn't market the same way in all markets.

For example, Nintendo's ads in Japan are the weirdest things I've ever seen. Cross dressing and vomiting. Stuff that would never make it most western markets.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Hmmm...What to make of this.

Why would Sony devote such a big budget into an ad like that which won't even play?

Is that teasing a reveal this friday?

Just bizarre...when has Sony done that?

That IS bizarre, isn't it? I mean, this doesn't look like an ad targeted for Asia....doesn't really look Euro-centric either to me. I have NO CLUE who this is for...but it is...disturbing in a lot of ways. Nothing beats those baby-doll PS3 ads yet though for creepy. I'm convinced that Kojima was spoofing those old ads with his baby dolls in Death Stranding!

Audiophile

I loved all the subversive, edgy Sony print and tv commercials (half of which unfortunately you won't get away with now); they really got under your skin and were memorable. They often had a strong British/Japanese-underground atmosphere to them.

PS1, PS2 and even early PS3 had it all, the PS4 advertising all felt a bit milquetoast.

Also, if I can't inhale my PS9 in 2040, I'll be mighty disappointed.

Last edited:

Koopatrol

Personally, I think Sony will have one more Wired article that teases some of the "unique elements" of the PS5. I feel like it makes sense; Sony decided to set up a deal with Wired talking about the PS5, and the third and final article will be the biggest yet and go a bit into detail discussing some of the "bigger differences" between next gen and this gen. Obviously Sony had a PR plan in place for the PS5 for some time, and we saw the effect with the first Wired article in April 2019. I'm also predicting that as part of the plan, the final Wired article will release the date for a potential reveal.

Given how the Wired articles have been spaced so far (April 2019, October 2019), we'll probably get another one by the beginning of March. The only thing is that GDC will be shortly after, so I'm not sure about the logistics of Sony doing a show around the time GDC is taking place.

Jtibh

Banned
Guys, I wanna ask you a question.

Do these graphics here look "Next-gen" to you guys? Because to me, there are.

j87iPHP.png

zzneNyH.png

flbppdJ.png

OgBsFje.png
Is it the art direction or the darkness or the fact i played way too many sony first parties where we had too many look at me cut scenes that look just as good as this ,dont know but to me this has no wow effect.

This does not make me jump at all. And i know you try to push for this for xbox and there is nothing wrong with that but as a gamer who plays for the last 3 decades and more , again and again i say the heretic demo is the bar for next gen.

LED Guy?

Banned
To me they look like a below 4k and 24 FPS prerendered cutscene using in engine assets 👀
I see what you did there 🤣🤣🤣

But I do expect games to look like that in next-gen when we are 3 to 4 years into the generation (with some LOD pop-in pop-out transitions enabled of course), I mean look at games like The Order 1886 or Detroit Become Human, those games were on 1.8 GCN TF with 8 cores weak Jaguar CPU and HDD, just imagine how a game like The Order 1886 will look like on a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

What you see is from a PS4.

b5tctkA.gif

17urmgq.gif

CLKMYBQ.gif

rtVFpMj.gif

jwRN8c3.jpg

qlpEPF1.gif

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I see what you did there 🤣🤣🤣

But I do expect games to look like that in next-gen when we are 3 to 4 years into the generation (with some LOD transitions enabled of course), I mean look at games like The Order 1886 or Detroit Become Human, those games were on 1.8 GCN TF with 8 cores weak Jaguar CPU and HDD, just imagine how a game like The Order 1886 will look like on a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

What you see is from a PS4.

b5tctkA.gif

17urmgq.gif

CLKMYBQ.gif

rtVFpMj.gif

jwRN8c3.jpg

qlpEPF1.gif
Well i hope the order will look like nothing on ps5 cuz what an utter shit it was.

But you just gave the perfect collage of why i am not impressed with hb2.
We had way too many cinematic experi3nces and i feel like next gen we will have even more all in the name of shiny controlled visuals and little to no gameplay.

I want games, not movies.

Not to say i didnt love detroit cuz i fuckin did.

The order......get that shit outta here.

LED Guy?

Banned
Well i hope the order will look like nothing on ps5 cuz what an utter shit it was.

But you just gave the perfect collage of why i am not impressed with hb2.
We had way too many cinematic experi3nces and i feel like next gen we will have even more all in the name of shiny controlled visuals and little to no gameplay.

I want games, not movies.

Not to say i didnt love detroit cuz i fuckin did.

The order......get that shit outta here.
OK, I understand what you say, but I’m talking about graphical fidelity, not art style nor what you or I or anyone else think of when a game has good art style or not, just talking technological wise, not aesthetics.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
OK, I understand what you say, but I’m talking about graphical fidelity, not art style nor what you or I or anyone else think of when a game has good art style or not, just talking technological wise, not aesthetics.
Who talks about art style?
What art style?
You think when i saw ridge racer on psone coming from sega cd i was thinking art style?
It was always about technology

LED Guy?

Banned
Who talks about art style?
What art style?
You think when i saw ridge racer on psone coming from sega cd i was thinking art style?
It was always about technology
Yeah that’s why I mentioned the benchmarks of graphics in linear games in this generation, not sure what’s your problem...

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah that’s why I mentioned the benchmarks of graphics in linear games in this generation, not sure what’s your problem...
Aahh duh.
And i said hb2 is just that a linear game , you would know if you played the first one.
And i said to me this is not what defines graphics or technology , to me it is the graphics in actual real games open world etc.

So again this video cut scene is very underwhelming and i cant with good conscience say that this is worlds apart, a true generational leap.

LED Guy?

Banned
Aahh duh.
And i said hb2 is just that a linear game , you would know if you played the first one.
And i said to me this is not what defines graphics or technology , to me it is the graphics in actual real games open world etc.

So again this video cut scene is very underwhelming and i cant with good conscience say that this is worlds apart, a true generational leap.
Oh OK I understand.

Sussoloc

Funny how Geoff was cool for doing TGA and having pr phil show off the xsx.

Now that he’s not showing up at E3 and might possibly be at Sony’s show, he’s all of a sudden not cool. Hilarious.
This guy was never cool. On social media he is always talking about Sony, leaking Microsoft stuff and even makes fun of it, but of course no leakes on Sony stuff and he is part of a Sony game. Someone that is involved in a show like the Game Awards should be more neutral in my opinion. It's like a NFL referee wearing a Patriots shirt and saying he is impartial.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The more I think about it, the more I suspect the PS5 reveal will happen in one of two ways:

1. State of Play or similar video unveiling (occurring 2/20 or end of february(ish, maybe March), which is why Sony hasn't announced yet since it doesn't need to be in advance):

- Specs discussion (minimum, but not final numbers). Maybe vague references to power multipliers.
- Mark Cerny discussion with developer panel interviews
- Reveal of launch games and launch window games, but with no reveal of games beyond Spring of 2021 (Demon Souls remake, Ratchet, etc...no God of War or Horizon 2).

- Sony will then follow up with physical hardware design, pricing, maybe launch date around E3 in May. They may also show longer-term PS5 projects (God of War, Horizon 2, etc).

2. Blue-Ball Approach. No teasing until it's all revealed with a mega-blowout around E3.

No state of play, just everything all at once.

I'm sort of leaning towards Option 1, because I feel Sony would have maybe announced #2 already just to not keep people hanging. Plus, I think third parties are waiting to talk and promote their fall 2020 games. I'm also somewhat thinking Shu's tweet was a serious reverse-troll.

I’m going with (1) especially with the c-virus situation.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Aahh duh.

so, real games are open world only, and not anything else...? Hellblade isn’t a “real game”?

Ok...? Erm...

As somebody who works with graphics technology every day and understands how things are created... this comment is silly, and you know it. The jury is still out if it’s ingame, or ingame cinematic quality (using in engine assets like most games do now, most likely) or a cgi trailer. But to say its not a generation leap is insane. Disregard the characters that look far better than anything shown this generation(from extreme nuance to ik sim to hair detail) and look at everything ELSE. The background detail, the shader quality. If this isn’t good to you, you’re going to be really let down next gen.

Last edited:
Just the patents IIRC. Some mentions here and there from supposed devs but nothing concrete.

Are we still getting 1st party ps4/cross gen exclusives after ps5 launches?

To start off, bc with anything other than ps4 is likely out of the question.
What you're expecting is comparable to what remasters like TLOU and shadow of colossus did. In reality, all it would be is higher res output with frame rate improvements, basically playing the game as it was on the original platform(which I doubt is what most excited about BC want) What people think of when they think BC is probably what MS have done with some of their games. In order to put in higher res textures, rework lighting, etc, devs would need to manually do all that. Problem is that unless they still hold the license/rights to those titles and everything in them, there's no way for them to monetize those games to warrant "updating" them.

The flu is a scary thing, especially in older adults. We lost 2 clients last year to the flu and almost lost my mother to it last year as well.

What if we are getting one next year. The announcement could be on it's way!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom