• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Meh
I need real fun racing games such as Motorstorm and blur .. with next gen it will look fuckin gorgeous

yep. the crew, nfs, forza horizon and other open world racing games do nothing for me. give me a tightly crafted track like motorstorm or driveclub and i will take it over a giant open world any day of the week and twice on church day.

SlimySnake

Hey, don't insult my Radeon VII :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_crying:

372826498.jpg
its a pretty good card. definitely much better than the two vega cards before it, but its basically on par with the 5700xt at lower resolutions and only pulls away at native 4k due to its insane bandwidth. its still 10-15% slower than the rtx 2080, and would easily get destroyed by a 12 rdna tflops gpu.

I found all the posts where he talked about 13.8. he seems to be hinting that its the gcn number. looks like hes hinting at 11 tflops.

Exactly what I've been mentioning, too. 10.4 - 11 TF Navi is most probable TF range for PS5.

So, this guy is looking for news, and just happened to drop lucky on the site right at the right moment, and spot this...?

I’m calling fake. It’s just too easy to do, that’s a picture I could make in minutes given their past media.

They will likely be saving their images in layers, and as such sure there would be basic text as a placeholder at the bottom, but this suggests that they saved the image to a jpeg and uploaded.... for... what reason? To do what, exactly? This sort of testing is done offline, you don’t do it on a public server.

BS. Clear as day, IMO. The plural “series” slogan is used to make people talk. They would more than likely just have “Xbox” on an image like this anyway.

Edit: I also had a quick look at the history of the site on snapshot form, and the site has been updated twice today (1:31am and 5:29am), which is quite common for multiple daily updates it looks like. But both times, this wasn’t added at all.

Why do people do this shit? 🤣

It's not complete BS; the fine print at the bottom could be placeholder, and why is April an unrealistic date for more Xbox-related news? It's already been two months since the TGS awards, by April it will have been roughly four months. And they will be at E3 in June, so an April briefing serving as an appetizer is not out of the realm of possibility.

I just say, stay neutral on the possibility it could be false or true, until we get closer to the date. As for the "Series" part, well if Lockhart is indeed still happening, having a briefing in April that includes it would be timely since E3 could be reserved for the XSX.

By the way, does anyone know what is the equivalence in RDNA of a useful effective power of 13.8 Tf GCN? 11.1 say someone? Sure? Or 11.5? (it's only a question)

(Please, that my "13.8" not become news)

Yes. 13.8 GCN translates to roughly 10.4 - 11 RDNA. The range depends on if Navi efficiency is closer to 20% or 25% over GCN in practice. 20% would be closer to 10.4 TF, 25% would be closer to 11 TF.

It also fits with the idea that Oberon might have 48CUs on the die, 48 CUs @ a range of 1.7GHz - 1.8GHz gives around 10.4 TF - 11 TF, and also fits with Navi's sweetspot.

Last edited:

Darius87

Omg dude.

Cyberpunk is a real game people already played the demo. The ones lucky enough.

Did you see any gameplay from hellblade??
Did ypu watch df analisys where they say its not even a realtime cutscene as its running at 24fps as a video?

Not saying hb2 is a freekin anime of course it will be a game.

But what was shown was more of a concept than anything else.
i'm comparing trailer to trailer doesn't matter if it's open world or not and i don't have to watch hb gameplay to know which one looks better if hb2 trailer in engine? then it's not cg which means it's gonna look close to that trailer which clearly it looks better.

Smoke6

Well i hope the order will look like nothing on ps5 cuz what an utter shit it was.

But you just gave the perfect collage of why i am not impressed with hb2.
We had way too many cinematic experi3nces and i feel like next gen we will have even more all in the name of shiny controlled visuals and little to no gameplay.

I want games, not movies.

Not to say i didnt love detroit cuz i fuckin did.

The order......get that shit outta here.

You shit your pie hole!!!

bring on 1887 damnit

HawarMiran

Banned
For who don't knows. I'm jocking with Agnostic2020 Agnostic2020 . Of course.

I have always said that when I have something I can say I will say it clearly and directly. Any other hint is pure messing (cachondeo).

I hope I don't have to wait long to talk normally about what we all want to talk about.
Just post something on pastebin. Come on. We are on withdrawal

Jtibh

Banned
i'm comparing trailer to trailer doesn't matter if it's open world or not and i don't have to watch hb gameplay to know which one looks better if hb2 trailer in engine? then it's not cg which means it's gonna look close to that trailer which clearly it looks better.
Check the trailer of cyberpunk whit the car chase.
Now look at the gameplay.

Same will apply to hb2

Check the trailer of cyberpunk whit the car chase.
Now look at the gameplay.

Same will apply to hb2

What about Uncharted 4 then? Didn't its in-game stuff come pretty damn close to the cinematic reveal trailer?

Cyberpunk has a completely different scope and development process than a game like Hellblade 2. HB2's in-game graphics should come pretty close to the reveal trailer, potentially even better.

And for people who want the best visually for next-gen, you'd want it to come as close to that trailer as possible. Bodes well for other 1st-party next-gen efforts, especially towards the end of the generation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
its a pretty good card. definitely much better than the two vega cards before it, but its basically on par with the 5700xt at lower resolutions and only pulls away at native 4k due to its insane bandwidth. its still 10-15% slower than the rtx 2080, and would easily get destroyed by a 12 rdna tflops gpu.

It's a great semi-workstation, semi-gaming card. If I was focusing on gaming would've just jumped to 2080ti. Might get that one if Xbox bring games that tempt me enough or newer Big Navi. But for 1TB/s bandwith, high quality HBM2, 16GB it's an insane 4k video editing card. Since I built it about a year ago, didn't start a game on it yet anyway. Peasant FTW:messenger_bicep::messenger_winking_tongue:

I think we should wait until we see real gameplay from Hellblade 2,of course the game will looks much better than anything this gen,because it is next gen game,will not look like the TGA Trailer,how close of that trailer we will only know when we see a gameplay trailer.

I have always said that when I have something I can say I will say it clearly and directly. Any other hint is pure messing (cachondeo).

I hope I don't have to wait long to talk normally about what we all want to talk about.
Hi BGs,

I understand you will only speak when its safe to do so. Can you perhaps answer possibly when we might be hearing anything regarding PS5. You don't have to give specific date but even maybe a date range of weeks can do.

Also are you able to describe anything (without giving too much specific information) regarding next gen.

Thanks mate. Appreciate your comments and contribution to the thread.

Jtibh

Banned
What about Uncharted 4 then? Didn't its in-game stuff come pretty damn close to the cinematic reveal trailer?

Cyberpunk has a completely different scope and development process than a game like Hellblade 2. HB2's in-game graphics should come pretty close to the reveal trailer, potentially even better.

And for people who want the best visually for next-gen, you'd want it to come as close to that trailer as possible. Bodes well for other 1st-party next-gen efforts, especially towards the end of the generation.
Is hb2 better than heretic?

If its better can we get heretic in real time next gen?

Thoughts?

Is hb2 better than heretic?

If its better can we get heretic in real time next gen?

Thoughts?

Isn't that a subjective argument?

I don't think The Heretic is too far off from being possible on next-gen by a big team with big funding to it, and if it's done with smart design choices.

It's not impossible or real-time next-gen at all, neither is the Hellblade 2 demo. It's just gonna come a bit later into the gen and only from the AAA big-budget titles most likely, like always.

Vamos tio, enrollate aqui un poquito con la peña y dejate caer algo. Al menos di si una de las dos consola es un 10% mas "potente" que la otra. Esta eso confirmado? (?)

Un saludo, maquina.

Traslation:

Come on man, let us know just a bit more. At least... Do you know if one of them is a 10% "better" than the other one. Is that really confirmed?

You are the man

SlimySnake

i know you cant say anything but i think this might have been posted by you. ;p if not, on a scale of 1-14 with 14 tflops being certifiably insane, how crazy does this sound?

1. I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5.
  2. Some infos that i'd like to share that are 99% correct(i say 99% because small incremental hardware change can occur till 2020,although specs are set in stone).
  3. -PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
  4. -PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
  5. -backward compatible
  6. -physical games & ps store
  7. -ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
  8. -specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
  9. GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
  10. 24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
  11. -2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
  12. -8k upscaling
  13. -PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
  14. -dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
  15. -price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning
  16. Ps4 exclusive launch games that i know of
  17. Gran Turismo 7 (vr)
  18. Pubg remaster 4k f2p with ps+ only on ps5
  19. Last of us 2 remaster
  20. Ghost of Tsushima remaster
  21. 2-3 aaa games more + psvr2 games
  22. Non exclusive ps5 games 2020
  23. Battlefield bad company 3
  24. Harry potter
  25. Gta 6 Holiday 2020 most probably,not hearing anything ps4 related (hearing that Sony is paying huge money to secure 1 month time exclusive for ps5). Been hearing rumors about Miami and New York,so 2 big cities,but im not sure if thats 100% true
  26. Assassins creed
  27. Horizon 2 so far in 2021

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Assuming that no reveal on Feb = insiders are fake seems to be too extreme. Sony could easily change plans according to things happening around or after some discussions inside the company. I think all the insiders here if they didn't share something convincing with the mods they would've been banned. On the other hand, why not stop pushing them too much for deeper details and risk them spoiling something that might ruin their lives and families? Let's just let them be and appreciate their time here.

Eventually, we'll get the specs and the consoles by the end of the year. There are so much amazing games to appreciate and enjoy while we're at the dusk of this generation: Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077, Final Fantasy VII, and tomorrow's Dreams game to name some. It's fun to discuss all the leaks, but one should not take things too seriously.

i know you cant say anything but i think this might have been posted by you. ;p if not, on a scale of 1-14 with 14 tflops being certifiably insane, how crazy does this sound?

1. I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5.

2. Some infos that i'd like to share that are 99% correct(i say 99% because small incremental hardware change can occur till 2020,although specs are set in stone).

3. -PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
  4. -PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
  5. -backward compatible
  6. -physical games & ps store
  7. -ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
  8. -specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
  9. GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
  10. 24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
  11. -2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
  12. -8k upscaling
  13. -PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
  14. -dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
  15. -price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning

16. Ps4 exclusive launch games that i know of

17. Gran Turismo 7 (vr)
  18. Pubg remaster 4k f2p with ps+ only on ps5
  19. Last of us 2 remaster
  20. Ghost of Tsushima remaster
  21. 2-3 aaa games more + psvr2 games

22. Non exclusive ps5 games 2020

23. Battlefield bad company 3
  24. Harry potter
  25. Gta 6 Holiday 2020 most probably,not hearing anything ps4 related (hearing that Sony is paying huge money to secure 1 month time exclusive for ps5). Been hearing rumors about Miami and New York,so 2 big cities,but im not sure if thats 100% true
  26. Assassins creed
  27. Horizon 2 so far in 2021
Massive list of stuff that all sounds right. 14 TF would be awesome!

A timed GTA exclusive and PUBG remaster exclusive are both intriguing ideas. Everything else feels like it hits right on the money of what I'd expect.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Assuming that no reveal on Feb = insiders are fake seems to be too extreme. Sony could easily change plans according to things happening around or after some discussions inside the company. I think all the insiders here if they didn't share something convincing with the mods they would've been banned. On the other hand, why not stop pushing them too much for deeper details and risk them spoiling something that might ruin their lives and families? Let's just let them be and appreciate their time here.

Eventually, we'll get the specs and the consoles by the end of the year. There are so much amazing games to appreciate and enjoy while we're at the dusk of this generation: Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077, Final Fantasy VII, and tomorrow's Dreams game to name some. It's fun to discuss all the leaks, but one should not take things too seriously.
bro besides Reiner, shreir, Matt and some info from osiris these other supposed new and vetted insiders have said shit and never give any info just regurgitate what the before mentioned ppl have said. Ppl keep asking and no new Info comes out and if thy do say something it's old info or shit we been guessing for months. We've gotten no new info since those four said stuff months ago.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Yeah, gosh forbid there are good first party games. Go clown in an MHK thread, you must have been born after the 360 era.
Odd response. Why are you upset with the truth? X1 came out had Killer Instinct, Ryse, Sunset OD and all the talk was 1080p vs lower. Lower powered console. I can agree that people flip flop. Can you?

And my first console was the 2600.

It's ok. I can agree that people flip flop all the time about console war stuff. Maybe you were born after the 360/PS3 era.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
bro besides Reiner, shreir, Matt and some info from osiris these other supposed new and vetted insiders have said shit and never give any info just regurgitate what the before mentioned ppl have said. Ppl keep asking and no new Info comes out and if thy do say something it's old info or shit we been guessing for months. We've gotten no new info since those four said stuff months ago.

Mate, they might've said too much already for them to be noticed by Sony and other colleagues and probably got noted/warned not to drift too much out of their NDA. If someone should get aggressive then there is PlayStation tweeter and youtube accounts to flood.

I know this silence is driving everybody mad, I would lie if I said I'm not "INSANELY" excited. Heck, I only joined here to ride that hype train previously posted, but seems like I'm too late.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Odd response. Why are you upset with the truth? X1 came out had Killer Instinct, Ryse, Sunset OD and all the talk was 1080p vs lower. Lower powered console. I can agree that people flip flop. Can you?

And my first console was the 2600.

It's ok. I can agree that people flip flop all the time about console war stuff. Maybe you were born after the 360/PS3 era.

Get your own material.

Last edited:

Yeah, been saying a long time now that at least most of the insiders (the credible ones not named, say, Tommy), they aren't off the mark on *everything*. There are some things some of them have been right about, either directly or indirectly. I'm talking overall, especially those with some history going back at least last generation, too.

But you can't expect any to be 100% correct all the time. Also, you can never know if their sources are pulling strings on them or not. And even with things like console specs, there has been a lot of context missing, a large part because sources are probably not telling them much either because they can't (NDA) or they simply don't know. Additionally a source can be on the right track early on but their information becomes outdated at another point later on.

Can't hold anyone's feet to the fire as long as they aren't outright saying completely ridiculous stuff. But it is a reason I don't put 100% stock into just one channel. Insiders, database dataminers (GPU benchmarks), substantial leaks, analysis from tech-heads who know how things like fab processes/wafer budgets/solid understanding of CPU/GPU architectures (Navi, Zen, etc.) work etc...they all are useful sources. I just like to try pulling in what they're all saying see what things they are kind of saying in common, and how, and piece together my own thoughts based off of that.

Like with that ITMedia article, if you read it carefully you can easily draw correlations between that, insider claims, benchmark leaks, spec leaks etc. and start seeing what numbers and features would have to be true, to get something that agrees as much with all of them simultaneously. That's where I feel the truth might lay.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let's talk Ray Tracing:

Mark Cerny has been talking about ray tracing way back in 2013 before the release of current gen, and ~5 years before Nvidia's and world's first gaming RT-dedicated graphics cards:

(Reported on 1-July-2013)

“They wanted a system with a unified memory,” he stated. This meant that devs wanted the PS4 to have just one pool of memory, not two. PCs and earlier game consoles used two different kinds of memory to feed data to the CPU and graphics. But unified memory would be easier to program. The proper number of CPU cores would be four or eight. Sony eventually chose eight.

Drawing a lesson from the PS3, “they didn’t want exotic,” Cerny said. “If there was a GPU that could do real-time ray-tracing [a sophisticated technique used in ultra-realistic graphics], they didn’t want it for the PS4.” Ray-tracing would have been fascintating, Cerny said, but it would have forced game developers to throw out all they had learned from the last generation of graphics.

I was very happy to see Nvidia's RTX cards, and their bold attempt into ray-tracing. Most people were just jumping on the hate wagon, or hate mega-train with all the memes floating around. I could've bought an RTX card, but I'm not into PC gaming so went with Radeon VII for its workstation traits.

My question would be: Would you prefer a better performance with RT console or a MUCH better performance without RT console? Assuming is when being better at handling RT. I would go with RT even at 30fps or with checkerboarding/DLSS.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
As it seems that every time I speak the bread goes up, I need to say this because otherwise they will cut my balls. We will clarify my old comment on "13.8" for those who need clarification.

If I knew that number could be defining the power of PS5 I would not have said it publicly.

giphy.gif

By the way, does anyone know what is the equivalence in RDNA of a useful effective power of 13.8 Tf GCN? 11.1 say someone? Sure? Or 11.5? (it's only a question)

(Please, that my "13.8" not become news)

I leave it in Spanish in Spoiler in case any translation is inaccurate.

Como parece que cada vez que hablo sube el pan, necesito decir esto porque sino me van a cortar las cojones. Vamos a aclarar mi antiguo comentario sobre los "13.8" para quién necesite aclaración.

Si supiera que ese número pudiese ser definitorio de la potencia de PS5 no lo habría dicho públicamente.

Por cierto, ¿alguien sabe cual es la equivalencia en RDNA de una potencia efectiva útil de 13.8 Tf GCN?

(Por favor, que mis "13.8" no se conviertan en noticia)

The GCN equivalent depends on if it's compared with Polaris or Vega, so consoles or Stadia. 13.8 TF Polaris would be exactly 9.2 TF RDNA (now where have I heard that number before?) because it's 1.5x as efficient. Compared to Vega it's 11.04 TF (1.25x as efficient).

The GCN equivalent depends on if it's compared with Polaris or Vega, so consoles or Stadia. 13.8 TF Polaris would be exactly 9.2 TF RDNA (now where have I heard that number before?) because it's 1.5x as efficient. Compared to Vega it's 11.04 TF (1.25x as efficient).

Didn't consider Polaris....

That said, and this is just the ITMedia article, but it mentioned the 13.8 in comparison to Radeon VII, which is Vega. And that would line up to around 10.35 TF on the low end, 11.04 on the high end (if Navi efficiency over Vega is 25% in practice instead of just 20%).

But when you mention Polaris, and if 9.2TF does line up with 13.8TF Polaris, then...yeah. But isn't Radeon VII Vega architecture? I mean, the ITMedia article could've been using the Radeon VII comparison in terms of the direct number, but if it's actually in case Polaris then I don't know why they'd mention the Radeon VII in that article.

Has there been any mentions of comparisons to 13.8 Polaris that I might've missed? There were some people floating around 13+ TF "leaks" before that article but they were pretty nonsensical and I'm pretty sure they were implying Navi (which just made it even more nonsensical). But yeah, 9.2TF Navi does line up with 13.8TF Polaris. I just don't think I've seen any other semi-solid reference mention PS5 performance to Polaris at all, and the only one I've seen do so in anything around 13TF has been the ITMedia article which mentioned a Vega-architecture card.

Falc67

Can you provide evidence that this is from the actual game and not just some prerendered scene?
Cuz digital foundry was clear about that this os not realtime at all but go back and watch their analisys.

So if this is pre-rendered, and at 24fps sub 4K targeting a 12tf machine,You think there are real-time cutscenes on current generation that rival this? 🤣

Akuji

?if the video is prerendered a chromebook can play it... we dont have much Info so Sadly we gotta wait and see what gameplay looks like on these next gen consoles

HawarMiran

Banned
well Death Stranding is literally a walking simulator... it literally simulates different ground conditions which you need to consider while walking to your destination.

and HZD is not a walking sim just a really mediocre open world game
don't make a fool out of yourself. HZD mediocre :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jtibh

Banned
So if this is pre-rendered, and at 24fps sub 4K targeting a 12tf machine,You think there are real-time cutscenes on current generation that rival this? 🤣
Pfuuu man i am pretty sure if there would be a prerendered pre recorded cutscene like this we could find something on ps3 that rivals this.

Banned
don't make a fool out of yourself. HZD mediocre :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

it's not bad... it's nothing special and it could have better controls.
also the open world is not used in any meaningful way. you can't really interact with anything in the world, the world itself is very static... hell if you climb up some hills too high where the developers didn't want you to go the game literally stops you and loads your last checkpoint... the fuck?

it's a solid 6/10, an actual 6/10 (meaning above average) not a modern game journalists 6/10 (meaning terrible)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom