• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has had no impact so far on preparations for PlayStation 5 production, they said. The company has yet to decided how many PlayStation 5 units it will make in the first year, they added.”

Finally somewhat good C-Vírus related news. 😎
That was a really good read. A lot of concerns that us next generation console folks have been discussing are in that article.
It appears that there will be some big decisions to have to be made on pricing and manufacturing unit quantities, especially with the coronavirus in the middle of the next generation console release.

Yep sounds like 2.0 / 9.2 based on github . Xbox doesnt have kinect this time. I also put that up because my info that i poSted was just confirmed by zhuge. Xbox has more expensive box to build. Sony is def waiting to see what xbox does
No doesn’t have Kinect but might have f64 dedicated part for server blades ? Who know . We ll know soon enough in less than 2 months

Moneal

Yep sounds like 2.0 / 9.2 based on github . Xbox doesnt have kinect this time. I also put that up because my info that i poSted was just confirmed by zhuge. Xbox has more expensive box to build. Sony is def waiting to see what xbox does
Pretty sure Xbox One was more expensive to make without including kinect. Mostly due to the SoC being bigger due to the ESRAM.

$471 including Kinect, so $396 for Xbox One vs $381 for PS4.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh so it looks like the PlayStation 5’s BOM is like the Xbox Series X, so it means it’ll be as powerful as Xbox Series X which puts both at $500 AT MINIMUM, and remember, Xbox One had higher BOM and it was way weaker than PS4, it didn’t even have GDDR5 RAM even and let’s not forget about the GPU difference between them, this explains that PS5 will have faster SSD and the same specs in the other components.

Final predictions:

PS5 and Xbox Series X = 12 TF Navi RDNA GPUs, 8 cores and 16 threads Zen 2 CPUs, very fast NVMe SSDs and 16GB GDDR6 with very high bandwidth.

Very powerful consoles GODDAMN!!

Mid range console from Microsoft will be perfect for my younger kids that want the new xbox, should be a great value for my wallet.
I will definitely buy, purchase both high end consoles for my gaming pleasure. This is going to be a very interesting year for gamers, and I am pretty hyped about it.

demigod

The bloomberg article also talked about ps4 games that will also be on ps5. Cross gen confirmed for both.

Wrong, you really don’t know anything about Sony. All their next gen games are next gen. PS5 owners will enjoy next gen first party games. XSX fans will enjoy cross gen games.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Not sure if serious. Cross gen games are obvious and have always been a thing. The difference is that PS5 will supposedly have only PS5 exclusives at launch, unlike the Xbox.

I don't think that means anything real about 'crossgen games.' The key is it says PS4 games that will be on PS5....NOT PS5 games that will be on PS4 as well. So that sounds like BC to me. Nothing more you can really take from that statement. Whether or not the new Xbox will have titles for it specifically that still play on earlier Xbox's...we'll have to see.

Pretty sure Xbox One was more expensive to make without including kinect. Mostly due to the SoC being bigger due to the ESRAM.

$471 including Kinect, so $396 for Xbox One vs $381 for PS4.
Yeah esram too but none of that now. So xbox higher BOM estimated 10~70 by zhuge. Less money spent on cooling vs sony , like i said thats why form factors dont wanna be shown. Its all adding up. Github 9.2 we shall see . Wow love it

Last edited:

Felessan

More expensive doesn't mean better. Based on rumours Xbox will have more expensive and slower SSD controller, just because they went with off-the shelf part, that has many redundacies not needed in console. And Sony design their own, scapping parts that are not needed, making and faster and cheaper (more R&D costs though)
The bloomberg article also talked about ps4 games that will also be on ps5. Cross gen confirmed for both.
Cross-game was always a thing, especially 3rd party games. It's just ps5 will have proper next-gen games.

Koopatrol

I don't think that means anything real about 'crossgen games.' The key is it says PS4 games that will be on PS5....NOT PS5 games that will be on PS4 as well. So that sounds like BC to me. Nothing more you can really take from that statement. Whether or not the new Xbox will have titles for it specifically that still play on earlier Xbox's...we'll have to see.

Good point. I was thinking mostly third party, since they will support both generations for quite some time. As far as PS4 exclusives go, it's likely that most of those will be BC. Sony can possibly port some stuff like TLoU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, etc., but hopefully those would just get performance patches.

Smoke6

I call bs on this. This console will be around 550 to 600 and Sony will eat the loss and sell at 500.

2 things I’m taking from this article...

1, I call bullshit and is a tactic to force MS‘s hand at a full on reveal

2. I read the article and they mentioned multiple chips to be cooled with their expensive cooling system!

So that means a dual chip configuration and a price point of $499

day fucking 1!!!!

Last edited:
PS5 for $549 - XSX for $599
That is close to what I expected but below $600USD.,

Perhaps both microsofts, and Sonys consoles both sell at the same price as well.

In my opinion, I think this console generation will be between 6 to 7 years long. Microsoft and Sony will be providing high end consoles from my perspective with their main focus on revenue based services.

This is what I am interpreting from the Bloomberg article.

2 things I’m taking from this article...

1, I call bullshit and is a tactic to force MS‘s and at a full on reveal

2. I read the article and they mentioned multiple chips to be cooled with their expensive cooling system!

So that means a dual chip configuration and a price point of $499

day fucking 1!!!!
No thats real 1

Reindeer

And I remember someone arguing here that next gen consoles gonna be way more expensive to build because Xbox One launched at 499 two years ago, lol. Anything beyond 500 loses mass market appeal. Sony should just go for 449 if their console only costs 450 to build, the loss will be minimal and the cheaper price (assuming Series X is 500) will be appealing to many and might sway some undecided casuals.

Last edited:

lynux3

There's been cross generation games from third parties since I can remember... happened with PS3 and PS4. This does not indicate PlayStation World Wide Studios is doing what Xbox Games Studios is doing by doing cross generation first party games. Based on the past I think we know how that is going to go.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Wrong?
Weren’t you one of the guys convinced on the $399 / 9.2 TF?

ditto. You think if there's $50 cost difference between boxes that that's a difference of 8-9TF to 12+? lol. Well, we will see...but that doesn't seem very likely. Ignoring that Sony also has usually had less cost for the hardware is unwise as well, until we see how everything shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom