• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

Xbox One had Kinect. That's the only reason it sold for a $100 more. Both now don't have such accessories forced on us with the console purchase. So having a 3tf difference will definitely affect pricing, since everything else seems to be similar.

Also look at Pro and X. For a 1.8tf difference the Pro was 399 and X 499. Justified. Same thing would happen here.

Kinect wasn't the only issue, MS misread the tea leaves and thought the only way to get to 8GB was with DDR3 and ESRAM. That seemed true for a long time but then proved false. There might not be much difference in price between 9 and 12tf GPUs if the smaller one is pushing way past the sweet spot (eliminating the cost advantage of a smaller die by reducing yields). Again, all hypotheticals, but crazier things have happened in this industry.

Jtibh

Banned
I'd take PS5 9-10tf at $399.
I would like to see the average income of the average gaffer so i understand how 399 is the limit and 499 is already too much.
If i put 50 bucks aside from today on till december i already have enough for a 500 dollar console.
No one can tell me that 500 bucks is hurting them. Any person who has a job can afford it.
I spent more money on fuckin hatchimals the last year for my daughter.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Lordt

I genuinely wonder if people will be upset by how similar the machines are this time around.

I will laugh at a number of scenarios as I think most of the speculation around specific numbers is bunk. If they are very similar, whether both surprisingly powerful or less powerful than some are expecting, I will enjoy and laugh at the resulting chaos. People are getting too invested in their toys! I know what I'm getting and I'm getting it regardless.

Jtibh

Banned
Because the world is a big place and not everyone gets the same income. It's really not hard to understand why some people want a cheaper console.
Elaborate cuz i have friends from north america all the way to eastern europe and all can afford it.
The majority of the market is in north america and western europe england asia etc.
I know africa india south america etc have a much lower income but come on , most people who bitch about the price are all coming from wealthy countries.

And wanting a cheaper console vs reality....
Oh i want a cheap 100 dollar console sure but if i want a top of the line console and still for 100 bucks i should check myself into the loony bin or just grow up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because the world is a big place and not everyone gets the same income. It's really not hard to understand why some people want a cheaper console.
True.

It's also not hard for gamers to save money over the years leading up to a new console.

$100 is not a lot, especially for people who are already willing to spend $400 for a console an another $200+ on a starting batch of games and maybe an extra controller too.

If someone is that broke $100 is hard to come by all you got to do is save $50/yr for two years leading to launch, by cutting back on one night per year of pubbing it with dinner and beers. And there's your $100.

Last edited:
Pastebin so probably fake.

CY6o7vl.png

People trolling for their "FIVE" minutes of glory on teh Net. I don't think I have seen anything towards Microsoft of this magnitude lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So now we're assuming to know everyone's financial status and/or spending habits and/or morals. Awesome. This thread delivers.
Totally.

If someone is hard up on $100 hoping consoles are pigeonholed into $400 again for sake of hitting THEIR budget, it shows they have terrible money management.

If someone is that concerned over an extra $100 for a launch video game system and batch of starting games that will be probably $700, you shouldn't be buying it if $100 is that make or break.

It's like needing to buy a new cellphone because the old one broke. If the gamer is seriously concerned over a $1,000 phone that should really be $900, and their bank account relies on it being $900, you should skip iPhones altogether and find an Android phone for $200.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Vizios also tend to have a very soap opera effect. They're what people who can't afford to ACTUALLY get 4k get to say they have "4k" because that's what it says on the box. Was the same way with HD. They have super cheap sets that say they have the latest thing but it's usually a faux version of it.

And yeah I have no idea what the power will end up being im just saying marketing slogans like that have little to no indication of how the power will shake out. It will be powerful to almost everyone of that I'm sure. Some super PC gamers may scoff at next gen but most people will look at last gen as the comparison and feel the power.

I think they'll only bring up the MS comparison in conferences or when asked in interviews

For the Vizio TV’s that have genuine 4K, isn’t it 4K? I wonder what they say on the box when it isn’t genuine 4K. Also, unless you mean something else, the “soap opera” effect can be disabled on the models that have the option (usually called by different names on various models).

DaGwaphics

Spearheadz Spearheadz , price is still the single most important metric for 99% of consumer products, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Nvidia thought they could keep prices high even after the crypto craze subsided (look what people pay for phones, right?). mmm https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...r-year-gaming-GPU-sales-down-45.407836.0.html https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...-end-of-a-year-of-revenue-declines-2019-11-14

Yeah, that didn't work so well.

Products viewed as non-essential to the masses will always be price sensitive. Can both boxes survive a $500/$600 price, probably. Would both sell considerably better/faster at $400, definitely.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Not an alt; just a lurker. I'm just saying when people start assuming all this shit about EVERYONE is when shit's just ridiculous.
I assume people live within their needs and not beg corporations to give them freebies cuz of their financial situation.
Save up work hard dont be a hippie looser who is looking for hand outs.

Its not like they sell us a 200 dollar product for 500. Its more like selling a 600 dollar product for 500.

I am not going to an audi dealership on a kia budget and tell them i expect you to sell this a4 for 15k.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
For the Vizio TV’s that have genuine 4K, isn’t it 4K? I wonder what they say on the box when it isn’t genuine 4K. Also, unless you mean something else, the “soap opera” effect can be disabled on the models that have the option (usually called by different names on various models).
Well like I got an LG LED that says 4k but the Pro says it isn't a 4k display. When I take it downstairs and put it on my OLED it's 4k and the pro says so. There must he some workaround

Fake

Well like I got an LG LED that says 4k but the Pro says it isn't a 4k display. When I take it downstairs and put it on my OLED it's 4k and the pro says so. There must he some workaround
Premium cable or put your HDMI on port 1, not ARC either MHL.
Maybe some problem if your TV are in PC MODE as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is unrelated to your issue, but regarding HDMI cables, it makes a difference.

For all you gamers with 4k cable boxes and 4k TVs, make sure the HDMI cable you get is a quality cable.

The one that came with my 4k cable box (all shrinkwrapped into a nice package) turned out was shit. I'd get weird pixelated graphics sometimes when watching 4k tv channels. Gaming was fine as I used the cable that came with my Xbox.

I bought a new set of 4k HDMI cables from Costco and used them for my 4k cable box and everything is now fine.

Kenpachii

299 best price
399 top price

499 is to expensive, unless they offer a deluxe package that adds a game with it and a second controller so its cheaper then the 399 box.

I would like to see the average income of the average gaffer so i understand how 399 is the limit and 499 is already too much.
If i put 50 bucks aside from today on till december i already have enough for a 500 dollar console.
No one can tell me that 500 bucks is hurting them. Any person who has a job can afford it.
I spent more money on fuckin hatchimals the last year for my daughter.

Maybe your kid is spoiled as shit?

My parents sure as hell didn't bought me 500 bucks luxurious products a year. They bought me a 199 buck console at best that was out already and on discount for years and bought me maybe 1-2 games for half the price at a second hnaded shop max a year and that was on birthdays or special holidays. Everything else was out of the budget because they had to give my sister also something that she wanted and there where other priority's for the family to spend money on.

How the fuck would u ever got a console that costs 500 bucks. At Least people could shift the PS2 into there parents throats and wii because DVD player and Fitness machine !!!. or DS with look u can be smart with brain training !!!!. Oh that's interesting we need to get that, or a PC because look i need it for school etc.

Pricing that thing at 500 bucks is straight up market suicide for them. They will not attract new players they will only attract older players and they will become naturally smaller as result.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
299 best price
399 top price

499 is to expensive, unless they offer a deluxe package that adds a game with it and a second controller so its cheaper then the 399 box.
I hope thats not your budget reference when it comes to a hooker.
You might end up with a deluxe package of std's at your "best price"

Jtibh

Banned
299 best price
399 top price

My parents sure as hell didn't bought me 500 bucks luxurious products a year. They bought me a 199 buck console at best that was out already and on discount for years and bought me maybe 1-2 games for half the price at a second hnaded shop max a year and that was on birthdays or special holidays. Everything else was out of the budget because they had to give my sister also something that she wanted and there where other priority's for the family to spend money on.

How the fuck would u ever got a console that costs 500 bucks. At Least people could shift the PS2 into there parents throats and wii because DVD player and Fitness machine !!!. or DS with look u can be smart with brain training !!!!. Oh that's interesting we need to get that, or a PC because look i need it for school etc.

Pricing that thing at 500 bucks is straight up market suicide for them. They will not attract new players they will only attract older players and they will become naturally smaller as result.
So i am going to report you for calling my daughter spoiled as shit.
Hope you get banned the hell outta here.

Last edited:

Moses85

299 best price
399 top price

😂🤣 what kind of trash hardware shall this be?

299-399 USD is the current price of the PS4 and PS4 Pro...

Kenpachii

😂🤣 what kind of trash hardware shall this be?

299-399 USD is the current price of the PS4 and PS4 Pro...

What makes you think its going to be trash hardware?

All i read with the PS5 is its overenginered to hell and back for the sake of chasing this 4k/8k dream that is utterly pointless.

A simple 6 core ryzen ( any ) with 16gb of ram, and a 5600 gpu with a sata 3 ssd will do the trick perfectly fine at 1080p for the next 5 years and completely destroys the 4k PS5 currently rumored on performance already at 1080p. That's how demanding 4k is.

Last edited:

Moneal

I'll say it one more time, $499 doesn't matter at launch. Its 3 years in where the buyers expect it to be around 300. Its real hard to see either get there if they launch at 500. It took Xbox One dropping Kinect and PS3 dropping BC for them to get there. Almost no one buying year 1 cares about price, and would probably pay for a premium machine. If neither are down to 300 by year 3 expect a decrease in consoles sold and games made this gen.

Jtibh

Banned
Bear in mind that a lot of console sales come from parents buying kids consoles who would prefer a cheaper product for a non-essential item not like a lot of people in this thread who could easily buy a $500 console for themselves and are devoted gamers. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:
Sure sure.
Whats the average consumers age?

Also shall we talk about how much money kids spend on phone games a year with their parents credit card?
The answer is way more than a new console costs.

Mendou

Banned

While not directly confirming the Github leaks of the PS5 being 9.2tf at 2GHZ, he reaffirms that it's a strong possibility. More and more it's starting to look like Sony was aiming for a $400 price tag but instead now may need to incur a heavy loss or price it the same as the rumoured $500 price tag of the Xbox Series X - which would be disastrous for Sony to price their 9TF console the same as a 12TF console. Looks like this generation Microsoft may take back their throne.

qiqiqiiq

While not directly confirming the Github leaks of the PS5 being 9.2tf at 2GHZ, he reaffirms that it's a strong possibility. More and more it's starting to look like Sony was aiming for a $400 price tag but instead now may need to incur a heavy loss or price it the same as the rumoured $500 price tag of the Xbox Series X - which would be disastrous for Sony to price their 9TF console the same as a 12TF console. Looks like this generation Microsoft may take back their throne.
What throne ? They never won a generation, PS2 crushed the original xbox on sales, Wii won the PS3/360 one, and PS4 once again crushed One on sales.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I agree with you on the Sony part, but what makes you you think MS can make more for less?

Gotta love how some folk figure that one company can somehow magically avoid industry spanning issues like that, huh? If Sony ends up forced to price their box $100 higher than planned, on what planet would the same forces not make it so that Microsoft had to do the same? So...$499 or more for the PS5 and then what...$599 or more for the Xbox? If that's the reality, no matter how you slice it, Sony will once again sell way more boxes than Microsoft.

Bottom line, everyone needs to chill for now. People are acting like specs are known for Microsoft as well and they aren't. Too many devs are continuing to say that the differences between boxes will be slim to none.... We just have to wait and see. I think both companies are holding off right now to finalize pricing in light of the coronavirus and other industry shortages or issues that are driving prices up currently. Either things will stabilize within the next month or so and they'll be back on track OR it won't...and they'll have to adjust pricing and strategies. That's all.

devilNprada

Why do I have to be careful? Go buy yourself a $599 console and give it to your kid for Xmas. We all do it.

Fuck if I'm spending $599 on something for him..

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I'll say it one more time, $499 doesn't matter at launch. Its 3 years in where the buyers expect it to be around 300. Its real hard to see either get there if they launch at 500. It took Xbox One dropping Kinect and PS3 dropping BC for them to get there. Almost no one buying year 1 cares about price, and would probably pay for a premium machine. If neither are down to 300 by year 3 expect a decrease in consoles sold and games made this gen.
Or the gen will be more spread out sales wise with later price drops. The ps4 only cut price once. If it hadn't been selling as well it would have been $199 years ago

Jtibh

Banned
Why do I have to be careful? Go buy yourself a $599 console and give it to your kid for Xmas. We all do it.

Fuck if I'm spending $599 on something for him..
You make no fucking sence.
Try again.

Who the fuck said that i buy my 5 year old a fucking console?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Accounting for inflation the PS3 launched in November 2006 at $638/20 GB and $766/60 GB in todays US dollars.
The Xbox One launched in 2013 and would be $553 today.
And some of you honestly believe PS5 and Xbox Series X will be $499 at the end of the year?

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom