• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-V2

I'm just gonna ask a question & I want an answer without being biased.

My question is, do you really think Mark Cerny is gonna make a 36 CUs in a next gen console??

It doesn't make since to me at all, he went from 18 to 36 CUs ( PS4 to PS4 pro) which is a mid gen refresh, so how in the world he goes from 36 to 36 with a next gen console?? Do you really think Mark that stupid guy who goes with such a lame ass desgin decision??

If I wanna give a prediction then I will go with 54/56 CUs

cragarmi

My question is, do you really think Mark Cerny is gonna make a 36 CUs in a next gen console??

It doesn't make since to me at all, he went from 18 to 36 CUs ( PS4 to PS4 pro) which is a mid gen refresh, so how in the world he goes from 36 to 36 with a next gen console?? Do you really think Mark that stupid guy who goes with such a lame ass desgin decision??

No

llien

How in the world he goes from 36 to 36 with a next gen console??
Or that they would go from 8 core to 8 core with a next gen console, chuckle.

36CUs is 5700XT.
A hell of a GPU,
And 200+ watts.
That by itself explains why, according to bloomberg, cooling costs "more than usual".

The only reason to push beyond 36CU is fear of Microsoft seeking revenge.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

If Cerny wanted to launch a Navi based PS5 in late 2019, that would put him at 36 CU. RDNA only offers 40 max. You need RDNA2 for more. And it makes even more sense regarding the rumors that AMD developed RDNA for Sony. So 8 TF RDNA was planned for 2019, now it's 9.2 TF RDNA in 2020.

Fake

FsM6acV.png

FsM6acV.png
You believe in that profile? For real?

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Not saying that the github is accurate. But, the 32cu chip in that leak would be a big upgrade over the PS4 Pro. More than twice the clocks, plus a nice IPC increase.

And Pro doesn't even matter. It was outsold by PS4 5:1 for the first year. If we assume that's where it stayed we are looking at roughly 15 % of the PS4 sales from 2016 forward, so around 10 million PS4 Pro exist vs 95 million PS4. PS5 is the update for those 95 million. They are going from 1.8 TF Polaris to 9.2 TF Navi, which is the equivalent of 13.8 TF Polaris. Almost an 8 times increase over PS4. Of course going by the same numbers XSX will be a 13x increase over base Xbox One.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The comparison is between launch price vs launch price...
True but they obviously realised it was a mistake to have reduced it so drastically.
Using the launch price as a comparison would also make the PS3 launch price a valid comparison.
But that's not gonna happen because it was a mistake.
But I do think $499/£399 is very likely

Nah he knew specific Navi stuff and that they struggled before release and in what order they released and even big Navi back then and that was what I can remember begin 2019. I watched most of his videos, you?

No he didn't actually. Every comment he made on Navi prior to its reveal was just regurgitating the same stuff dropped by AdoredTV and other outlets first.

Even then both RGT and AdoredTV got so much wrong. They both insisted Vega 7nm wasn't being launched as a gaming card. They also got the whole Navi 10, Navi 14 etc breakdown wrong, with both insisting Navi 14 would be the first Navi chip at 40CUs.

I watched all those videos, and it was clear RGT never released anything original that turned out to be true.

If you can find an example to the contrary I'd genuinely like to know.

Fake

True but they obviously realised it was a mistake to have reduced it so drastically.
Using the launch price as a comparison would also make the PS3 launch price a valid comparison.
But that's not gonna happen because it was a mistake.
But I do think $499/£399 is very likely

You think is not valid as well? Of course are. Maybe the PS3 launch price was the reason for the PS4 launch price.
PS1 vs PS2
PS2 vs PS3
PS3 vs PS4
PS4 vs PRO (first mid refresh)
PRO have the same price as base PS4 when launch
PRO vs PS5?

Now, silly is get discounted prices on gamestop/amazon/bestbuy for comparsion.
$450 will be the start of the price for PS5. $499 is the easy bet, but could be beyond that.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Local Walmart has xb 1x star wars package on clearance for $299. Gears package $349.

PS4 pro still $399

Wow, actually I found the XOX being sold for around $270-280 (I don't remember) during black Friday, but no games. Now somehow it restored its price although no body really takes it seriously around here, it's priced at $400 with no games, and the PS4 Pro around $360. Both with no game bundles. I think most of Xbox strength is the US and UK market, maybe the Australian and Canadian market as well, but they should expand if they're serious about their business.

Just look at this sad screenshot for FIFA 20 on Xbox One X: (PlayStation is in partnership with UEFA Champions League since 1997, the biggest sport even in the world, that's why the can't take that ad out or they get sued )

748803411.jpg

LordOfChaos

Not getting into the argument of how may CUs it'll have, but this comparison isn't quite right. The Pro used the same GPU architecture as the base model, with only a few contemporary features pulled into the design. An RDNA CU packs in substantially more transistors, taking advantage of die shrinks since, and as such "it can't be 36 because it was already 36" is an argument like saying "it can't be 8 cores because it was already 8 cores".

Banned

why not? the amount of CUs doesn't matter, what matters is how much you can do with them and the rest of the GPU improvements since GCN...

this 36CU gpu would have more than TWICE the raw tflop performance and in real world application maybe almost 3x better performance than the 36CUs in the PS4pro have.

and this 36CU gpu is equivalent to one the best AMD GPUs on the market currently.
back when the PS4 came out it had a 2 year old GPU that even when it came out wasn't the best AMD released at the time.

Last edited:

Yeah it's kinda unlikely C0 will be the stepping the finalized Oberon chip goes with. It's already at E0 and there could be about one or two others.

Anyways it's always nice to get these kind of perspectives; wouldn't mind if some of the other tech-centric channels I follow (AdoredTV, NX Gamer, Moore's Law Is Dead, Corelinks, Digital Foundry etc.) did some other updates. But it's understandable; nothing much substantial's been officially mentioned and what's been coming the past few weeks are either following up on old news, articles mainly going off existing rumors and data, or Gamespot forum-level spec fantasies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
So, let's assume the PS5 is going to be 9.2 or even 10TF. If the Xbox DOES end up being 12...does that match with developers saying that the differences won't be noticeable in game? Not even the piece about them being very close to one another. But I wouldn't think 2-3 TF would be considered "close?" Then again, I'm not a game developer. :) Just curious. Either way it will be a huge leap but it would be a bit of a coup for MS to come out with a 2-3 TF advantage for about the same price, that's for sure.

llien

If I read anand's article on TSMC fabs right, 7nm DUV (7N) is "design compatible" with upcoming 6nm (6N) process.
7nm EUV,however, is not. (7N+)

Wouldn't it be wiser for console makers to start with DUV, as it is there, right now, usable in dev kits etc, skip 7nm EUV and then jump to 6nm and later 5nm, saving on chip re-design costs?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sinthor Sinthor That 2-3tf advantage may not be much of an advantage depending of how Sony are doing what they are doing. TF alone don’t tell the whole story. It’s still possible that the PS5 will our perform the sx, even if it really was 9.2tf.

There isn’t enough info out to say for sure what way anything will go. But you want them both to be nice and close.

Either way we are all in for a great ride.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Pastebin so probably fake.

Sony will be launching a marketing campaign for the PS5 in the coming weeks in North American and Europe. This is to start generating hype for the next gen console, as well as giving the PlayStation brand a fresh new look.

The slogan for the PS5 is "FEEL THE POWER OF FIVE." PlayStation's new slogan as a whole will be "FEEL THE POWER OF PLAYSTATION."

Sound familiar? Sony is already experimenting with the new campaign, as seen recently with the Valentine's ad and the death stranding ad.

CY6o7vl.png

Gamernyc78

Banned
Except the ps3 was less powerful than the xbox360 ( the fact that Sony fanboys convinced themselves that Sony exclusives were better looking than Halo 4, forza horizon, gears 3 and the top 3rd party games that all looked and run better on the xbox360 doesn’t mean a thing) , coming a year later, the Xbox demolished the ps2 and Xbox one x demolished the ps4 pro. The only time a PlayStation was actually more powerful was when MS had the «brilliant» idea to focus their videogames’ strategy in Kinect.

You sound so delusional lol killzone graphics shitted on Halo by far, God of War was on another level andddd well we know what happened between Uncharted And Gears. Ppl couldn't even believe tht uncharted 2 live demo during the conference was real or possible, it shitted all over Gears.

But right right lol well believe some fanboy dude on the internet over our eyes, countless technical/graphic awards, goty awards and "lens of truth" and DF breakdowns all which had Sony first party as graphical benchmarks lol

First party games graphically weren't even close to ps3 stop the lies and revisionist history. Your only convincing the Microsoft Schills tht we all know lol

Xbox x demolished ps4pro lol when? Surely not in price, exclusive graphics or sales. In what bizarro world did it? Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, recore versus??? God of War, Horizon, Uncharted 4 Spiderman, etc all graphically better than anything on your X lol oh let me guess ima hear you say RDR2 a multiplats game lol 😂 😂 😂

Some of you need help. Facts are facts lol 🤦‍♂️🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly, I can't wait to see a new headset from Sony for that 3D audio. I got the Astro A40 and it's a great headset, but might go wireless this time with my little daughter pulling and biting the wires and disturbing my immersion :messenger_face_screaming: .

PSVR2 this time around is a must, I was so hesitant to get one, although my brother got one that he barely uses on his PS4 I think VR needs much more than PS4 Pro for a better experience then comeback and play what I've missed on PS4.

JLMC469

Banned
You sound so delusional lol killzone graphics shitted on Halo by far, God of War was on another level andddd well we know what happened between Uncharted And Gears. Ppl couldn't even believe tht uncharted 2 live demo during the conference was real or possible, it shitted all over Gears.

But right right lol well believe some fanboy dude on the internet over our eyes, countless technical/graphic awards, goty awards and "lens of truth" and DF breakdowns all which had Sony first party as graphical benchmarks lol

First party games graphically weren't even close to ps3 stop the lies and revisionist history. Your only convincing the Microsoft Schills tht we all know lol

Xbox x demolished ps4pro lol when? Surely not in price, exclusive graphics or sales. In what bizarro world did it? Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, recore versus??? God of War, Horizon, Uncharted 4 Spiderman, etc all graphically better than anything on your X lol oh let me guess ima hear you say RDR2 a multiplats game lol 😂 😂 😂

Some of you need help. Facts are facts lol 🤦‍♂️🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Damn, come on dude. We all know you prefer Playstation but this is downright 12 year old fanboy posting.

Unless you suffer from reverse Benjamin Button disease, you don't look 12 in your pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom