• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
In non sony land yep how we forget about the sub 100k npd gifs. Just because sony land ate the price does not mean sane places did.

Non Sony land was where? Just USA and even here sales were close. It's an undisputable fact! Ps3 outsold Xbox 360 upon its release almost every single month for all those years. But let me guess only USA matters 🤦‍♂️😂

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yes, I actually really enjoyed Hellblade. Liked the story a lot too. I'm actually disappointed I won't be able to play the sequel as I'm at least not PLANNING on getting the new Xbox this generation. That was a good pickup for MS in my opinion. Maybe not the 'guaranteed system seller' type of game but definitely some value and intriguing projects.

I enjoyed it minus the very restrictive world and repetitive boss fights. Hopefully they do alot better this time. It's meta is around 80 and tht was my feeling of it as well but it has pote tual to be more.

Reindeer

Perfectly valid in my opinion. People don't buy consoles based solely on exclusive games, if they did that then GameCube would have sold much better and Wii U wouldn't have been such a colossal failure. Exclusive games are great to go along with other things people look at when buying a console.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Depends. Cheap to manufacture or cheap to sell? Here in Brazil PS4 is expensive, but Nintendo Switch is beyond the sense.

In the states they always go for the lowest price. And, even with that they sell at a nice profit.

They were playing the smarter game in the long run. Moore's law slowing down doesn't hurt them much.

MS & Sony need to transition users away from the power narrative with a strong focus on software, services, convenience, and affordability. The clock is ticking for them.

Last edited:

Fake

Perfectly valid in my opinion. People don't buy consoles based solely on exclusive games, if they did that then GameCube would have sold much better and Wii U wouldn't have been such a colossal failure. Exclusive games are great to go along with other things people look at when buying a console.
Highly disagre. There is a huge amount of reasons to buy a console. The differencial between those reasons are lower them people might think believe or not.
Using that tweet as a parameter for people to buy a new console and at the same time ignore the strong marketing of Nintendo is just stupid.
There is a intention of invalid 'exclusives' to push some premisse there. Exclusives game are still used to push hardware sales.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

so 67.5% of gamers on twitter want a last gen console.

80% of gamers want a last gen console with no exclusives.

makes no sense to me but then again i struggle to relate to twitter millennials. I grew up being blown away by the MGS2 E3 2000 trailer. i was too young to work and needed my parents to buy me one. but price and BC were the last things on my mind.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Highly disagre. There is a huge amount of reasons to buy a console. The differencial between those reasons are lower them people might think believe or not.
Using that tweet as a parameter for people to buy a new console and at the same time ignore the strong marketing of Nintendo is just stupid.
There is a intention of invalid 'exclusives' to push some premisse there. Exclusives game are still used to push hardware sales.
Still, doesn't change the fact that there have been consoles with highly rated exclusives yet still failed. The proof is out there that exclusive games alone do not sell a console.

Fake

Still, doesn't change the fact that there have been consoles with highly rated exclusives yet still failed. The proof is out there that exclusive games alone do not sell a console.
PS4? Switch?

Or... Xbox One?

Don't forget that 'quality matters'.

Last edited:

Fake

Nice of you to ignore GameCube and Wii U that I already mentioned. At least try to be fair when making your point instead of trying to push some agenda.
Can ignore Nintendo Switch, but not Game Cube/ Wii U? How this works?
Besides, there are others reason for that console you mention failed... Mini CD, expansive Tablet, two models... remember that too?

Last edited:

Reindeer

Can ignore Nintendo Switch, but not Game Cube/ Wii U? How this works?

Besides, there are others reason for that console you mention failed... Mini CD, expansive Tablet...
I never ignored Switch lol, my point was about consoles that financially failed despite many highly rated exclusives. If you claim that Switch is successful mainly due to exclusives then why did other Nintendo consoles with many exclusives fail?

You try to dismiss this point by saying that there are other reasons why console fails, but this can easily be counterargued by saying that there are many reasons why console is successful (besides exclusive games) like portability of Switch for example.

Reindeer

Besides, there are others reason for that console you mention failed... Mini CD, expansive Tablet, two models... remember that too?
Again, there are also many reasons why console is successful besides exclusive games like portability for example. You pick and choose what you want to make your point seem valid.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I enjoyed it minus the very restrictive world and repetitive boss fights. Hopefully they do alot better this time. It's meta is around 80 and tht was my feeling of it as well but it has pote tual to be more.

Yes I agree it wasn't always the best. Just the overall world and story appealed to me a lot. I thought it was VERY well done for a "AA" download only type of title. Looks like this time they are trying to go full on triple-A though so will be interesting to see how it turns out and what differences and improvements they can make.

Fake

Again, there are also many reasons why console is successful besides exclusive games like portability for example.
Glad you understand. I guess they have a thread about that tweet, if you want to discuss. Here:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes, I actually really enjoyed Hellblade. Liked the story a lot too. I'm actually disappointed I won't be able to play the sequel as I'm at least not PLANNING on getting the new Xbox this generation. That was a good pickup for MS in my opinion. Maybe not the 'guaranteed system seller' type of game but definitely some value and intriguing projects.

Yup, Sony doesn't have one game as a system seller, Xbox most system seller around my area here is ONLY Forza games. Sony's Gran Turismo IP is HUGE but they should've taken DriveClub to the next level as not all players prefer sim racing.

Reindeer

Glad you understand.
I understand that exclusivity isn't a sole reason why console is successful. The poll clearly shows that there are other factors that make console successful. Boon being surprised by this is perfectly valid too since there have been so much noise made this gen about Xbox failing because of lack of exclusives, although there are many reasons why it failed and lack of exclusive games was just one of them.

Last edited:

Fake

I understand that exclusivity isn't a sole reason why console is successful. The poll clearly shows that there are other factors that make console successful. Boon being surprised by this is perfectly valid too since there have been so much noise made this gen about Xbox failing because of lack of exclusives, although there are many reasons why it failed and lack of exclusive games was just one of them.
Thats the point dude. Nobody is saying exclusives are the one reason or the most important (I said that?), just a little read on that tweet he show some of his intention.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nope! It sold better (everything does when prices are lowered) but from month one through its entire lifetime PS3 sold better than Xbox 360 worldwide monthly the only times it didnt was generally during november/Dec when Microsoft aggressively discounted Xbox 360 and would give you a house, horse and a stable to go with it. Tht high price didn't stop ppl outside of the US from choosing it over Xbox.

All the Xbox 360 here at that time were sold with pre-installed pirated games, and you can buy a game for like $2.6 new, a pirated one indeed. But PS3 was way, way ahead in our market at least. At that time in comparison with Forza casuals seemed to prefer GRID, which is a multiplat if I can recall. If Ubisoft has some offline gaming for The Crew they might be considered a bigger contender.

splattered

So who is it that's gifting their PS4 today? We need to get in touch with them within the next 20 minutes so they know to save the game they're playing turn off the machine and box it up to ship out haha

Reindeer

Thats the point dude. Nobody is saying exclusives are the one reason or the most important (I said that?), just a little read on that tweet he show some of his intention.
How do you know what his intentions are? He could just be acting surprised due to so much noise being created about exclusives this gen. Why do we automatically have to always think everyone has an evil agenda?

Last edited:

TBiddy

It was split Sony won main land EU and the east and MS won NA and UK. It was no clear cut win for Sony considering how they had dominated the previous generation. Winning by a few million after winning by 10x is a loss.

I agree that Sony really fucked up the PS3, which just makes even more weird that they managed to sell that much. The brand loyalty is extreme in some people.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
45m is a console fail now? Would have thought that would be reserved for 15 - 20m.
it really depends tbh. the original xbox sold far less than 45m but i think it was a success at launching xbox as a brand and as the best place to play online with the best FPS on the market.

xbox one selling 45 million after selling almost 90 million a gen prior is a failure to many. but then again, they have salvaged some good will towards the end of the gen with the x1x, gamepass and acquisitions. so if they come out strong next gen it would be because of all these moves they made at the end of this gen and then this gen retroactively becomes a success despite the mediocre sales.

Fake

How do you know what his intentions are? He could just be acting surprised due to so much noise being created about exclusives this gen. Why do we automatically have to always think everyone has an evil agenda?
Making a poll... on twitter... and bet 'exclusives' would be higher than 13%:unsure:... being a dev of multiplat...

You want him to make a poll on neogaf instead? Resetera? Different results I guess?

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

A few more pages boys and we will have made it. Sony and Ms will send us all free consoles. We ‘bouta be kings yallllllll
Gonna hit 1000 pages today I think.
1000 pages here we go.
^ Gonna get there in 5min if everyone is going to start posting about page 1,000 in unison. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
1000 soony!
Sonny enough.
We are gonna did it guys!!!

At least we are not going mad about a poll some guy did in the nets... 😎

Reindeer

Making a poll... on twitter... and bet 'exclusives' would be higher than 13%:unsure:... being a dev of multiplat...

You want him to make a poll on neogaf instead? Resetera? Different results I guess?
Let's be honest, I think we all would have thought that it would be higher than 13%.

its funny how some people are reading a conspiracy theory in my posts when i have not alleged MS hacking anything just because they owned github. the directory was public and several posts on both forums downloaded it themselves.

AMD is SOLELY at fault. im sure both Sony and MS ripped Lisa Su a new one after the github leaks. An era user had their own google drive doc DMCA'd by AMD because he was hosting the github leak. Thats how seriously AMD took it. Im sure heads rolled over at AMD after that fiasco.

However, i am not speculating who is to blame. just what happened. komachi and rogame are far from the only guys searching github for next gen stuff. there was a reddit leak in january that listed a 4 tflops lockhart, a 12 tflops anaconda and an 8 tflops ps5. this was before any gonzalo leak which was unearthed days later by either komachi or apisak. so where did this leak get the 8 tflops from? ariel was 1.8 ghz at the time and 36 cus get you 8 tflops.

i could never figure out why that 8 tflops number kept popping up. iirc the first gonzalo leak had a clockspeed of 1 ghz. everyone said it was 64 cus at 1 ghz or 8 tflops. fine. then we went up to 1.8 ghz in april. and then all of a sudden it was downgraded to 36 cus. i was like why are we downgrading the CUs? again, the 8 tflops number felt like this arbitrary number we had to stick to. it wasnt until late july when komachi found the oberon results did we start to entertain 9 tflops. before that it was always 8. The only one peddling the 8 tflops theories at the time was penello.

and thats it. thats literally the crux of the discussion. im not blaming evil MS for stealing Sony's data. im just trying to figure out if these leaks are related, if MS got wind of it through github and if they devised their strategy around it.

Good points, I'll admit to that. And I agree that AMD is the one at fault for the leaks being found (and putting their benchmarks into databases in a such a way people like Komachi and Rogane can search through them), which is part of the reason I always thought it funny there were people saying Sony or Microsoft purposefully put the specs out there for some type of narrative to benefit them. Like, why would the other company or AMD agree to throw in the competitor's specifications in those leaks? That's an epic lawsuit in the making :nougat_rofl:

But back to the 8TF stuff, I think you have a good case with how Penello may've gotten to that conclusion and floated those numbers around, but I have a counter-case to that: Sony themselves said sometime around PS4 Pro's release (or maybe afterwards) that 4K60 was only truly possible with 8TF. They said that themselves before any leaks or rumors with next-gen systems even began. So it's possible (and maybe more probable) Penello was simply taking Sony's own words and throwing some stuff on top of them to speculate what he personally thought their next-gen system was going for.

At that time, however, I'm pretty sure Sony were referring to 4K60 for current-gen games, and speaking in terms of Polaris (GCN) architecture, not Navi. Things that Penello didn't take into account when floating out his own numbers and speculation.

Reindeer

How so? Lol. Is there a imaginary 13 number in your head or something?
I wouldn't have expected less than 25% and probably many on this thread would agree going by how highly they regard exclusives when it comes to console.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
45m is a console fail now? Would have thought that would be reserved for 15 - 20m.

Sony's deepest failure (PS3) is BETTER than Microsoft's highest peak of success (Xbox 360), FACTS.

winning-meme-gif-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom