• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL-01

ive seen a few people using these comparisons to claim the graphics got downgraded, when most of the "downgrades" are simply the addition of volumetric fog around certain scenes making the game look not as crisp on video, with no change to world detail. I would've preferred the environments look as crisp as they can but its an artistic choice.
Only change im peeved by is getting rid of the hero lighting in the pirate world

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah indeed, but in case of CoD they talked about both consoles of course. Been playing Jedi Fallen Order lately, can't wait for no load times...

Me too! I'm particularly impressed if third parties, right out of the gate will have these kinds of improvements. Says to me that MS and Sony are making that kind of performance available standard and probably handled by the hardware rather than needing devs to code specifically to take advantage of those features and load times. That's good news if it is the case!

The COD announcement including 120fps was quite surprising as well. I expect though that 120fps will be available via a special "performance mode" that takes out the RT and some of the other eye candy. Would be INSANE if they could pull off 120fps WITH RT and all those features. I think that's a pipe dream for this generation though. On the other hand, I would have bet good money that COD wouldn't be supporting 120fps right up front. I thought the only games we'd probably see at 120fps would be like Tetris or puzzle games, etc. :) Happy to be wrong about that!

jose4gg

Aren't the reflections on the building in the original demo incorrect? Due to the angle of the building, I can't see how some of the reflections were possible. Seems to have been corrected in the Gamescom version.

I think they were possible but it gives a very weird pop in once the user jumps to the map, so I think they decide to remove at least for now.

TheAssist

This I believe is where the Dusk Guys info came from. But I never heard any studios name, game engine or game project be named specifically. This second hand and whispers mind you!

I have heard rumors and whispers some games running 4K and with ray tracing on the PS5. Devs Debug Kits was struggling to maintain 10.2TF. That some games was dipping into 9.5Tf to 9.8Tf area. This info was from around may when whispers of this was leaking out. Got louder at the beginning of June. It was so bad for some game studios. Dev Kits and Debug kits was crashing and over heating. So devs had to drop games down to 1080P and 1400p to work on them. Sony was notified and Sony Ninjas was supposed to be help fixing those issues and replacing and updating Dev Kits and Debug Consoles. As Devs where still working on engines for PS5 features. This wasn’t an issue with all studios. Some studios and Game Engines.

Yeah I call bullshit. 10.2 is peak theoretical performance. No console reaches its peak performance, let alone maintain it. That goes for all gpu's. The workloads simply arent designed to even hit that. Also Devs would never say "it didnt reach xx teraflop number". Thats not how they calculate that. If PS5 could occupy its CU's at such a high workload that it reaches constant 9,5 TF, that would be amazing effiency (93%).
SO either these "whispers" are complete horeshit or they are saying the PS5 is an efficiency beast.

I trend towards shit, because of the mentioned reasons.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Yeah I call bullshit. 10.2 is peak theoretical performance. No console reaches its peak performance, let alone maintain it. That goes for all gpu's. The workloads simply arent designed to even hit that. Also Devs would never say "it didnt reach xx teraflop number". Thats not how they calculate that. If PS5 could occupy its CU's at such a high workload that it reaches constant 9,5 TF, that would be amazing effiency (93%).
SO either these "whispers" are complete horeshit or they are saying the PS5 is an efficiency beast.

I trend towards shit, because of the mentioned reasons.
There is a quote from a person here (who was checked out by mods) that is saying that PS5 is most efficient console ever.

Nickolaidas

What about the cliffs was a downgrade? Just looks like it's color graded differently and has more fog.
Watched the video from my mobile, but it seemed to me like a lot of detail from the rock textures was missing. Also, on many ocassions the colors looked more washed out and less vibrant.

Hopefully they're just experimenting with various lighting palettes. I mean, it makes no sense to remove details from the textures when the framerate was stable in the reveal ...

Last edited:
Most changes are clearly cosmetic. The one thing they need to work on is dynamic objects being reflected but that obviously comes with a performance penalty. This is one of the most chaotic games I've seen which is attempting ray tracing so I understand if they aren't able to pull it off. There is a lot of particles and a lot of debris to reflect. Maybe they should go for a lower resolution for reflectivity.

HAL-01

I mean the bridges are below the building and Ratchet and Clank are sliding down at a curved angle. I'm trying to think of a way that the reflections in the first case were even possible. I could be off-base though
the reflections were physically correct in the original trailer. considering the angle of the slope as your horizon line the streets are technically above it, and would be reflected in such a way.
They're likely working it out so that the reflections dont pop-in the way they do currently

BGs

Industry Professional
Really hope that's the case. That shot in the building looks like they removed the reflection altogether.

Fuck off.

Watched the video from my mobile, but it seemed to me like a lot of detail from the rock textures was missing. Also, on many ocassions the colors looked more washed out and less vibrant.

Hopefully they're just experimenting with various lighting palettes. I mean, it makes no sense to remove details from the textures when the framerate was stable in the reveal ...

Oh, but was it serious? Forgive me. I thought you were joking.

An artistic change is not a Downgrade.

Also keep in mind that the more volumetric effects you insert, the more "flat" everything will seem.

Last edited:

Hope this gif helps
0tRBnRb.gif

JediMind

Neo Member
So I just rewatched the Ratchet gameplay demo on my 4K 65" HDR TV and WOW. This is next gen and it's just getting started. Can't even imagine what the teams are going to be able to do in the PS5 lifecycle. We are sure in for a treat and I am so excited for it.
Probably more excited than I have ever been about some video game system and I have experienced them all (getting old....)

Made you all an OT.
You're doing God's work mate. Let's have some fun with those tweets!!!

Nickolaidas

So I just rewatched the Ratchet gameplay demo on my 4K 65" HDR TV and WOW. This is next gen and it's just getting started. Can't even imagine what the teams are going to be able to do in the PS5 lifecycle. We are sure in for a treat and I am so excited for it.
Probably more excited than I have ever been about some video game system and I have experienced them all (getting old....)
DUUUH LOOKATME, I HAVE A COOL BADASS TV AND YOU POOR SOBS HAVE TO PLAY ON YOUR SWITCH WHILE LIVING IN HUTS ON SOME 3RD WORLD COUNTRY!!!

I happen to love my swamp.

Asshole.

Dodkrake

Banned
Severe downgrades in some cases, like the mountains where you fly the dragon.
You can see severe downgrades from a horribly compressed video? That's probably the worst 1080p video I've seen in the last year.

I can see some changes to tone and coloration, and a couple of patches of green that are now rock textured, but damn, the rocks in the back look like giant pixels, It's impossible to tell from that one video if that particular section was downgraded, upgraded, copy pasted, whatever.

Nickolaidas

You can see severe downgrades from a horribly compressed video? That's probably the worst 1080p video I've seen in the last year.

I can see some changes to tone and coloration, and a couple of patches of green that are now rock textured, but damn, the rocks in the back look like giant pixels, It's impossible to tell from that one video if that particular section was downgraded, upgraded, copy pasted, whatever.
Scroll down the page.

sircaw

Banned
what a night last night was, full of laughs and tears.

highlights for me were of course
Rachet and clank.

Games that looked interesting or good to me
Little nightmare 2
The teardown game looked excellent. reminds me of Minecraft 2.0 +lego in one. two people made that. crazy.

Low points.
How long is a piece of string.

I knew something was up when they showed the dirt demo in that make your own arena. Sigh
Dragons age, people talking about games while sitting at a park, staring at a river, looking at a mountain. WTF
Godfall turbo edition. i have seen gifs longer than that. i did like the moth helmet mind you
@nickloadas reaction to Turrrican gameplay, i actually laughed at first then felt bad, sorry bud.

I can't even remember what the new ps5 game is or was meant to be, can some enlighten me plz.
The only one i can think of is that space ship one, living weapon one.

Gonna give the show a 3/10

makaveli60

Guys, even IF they downgrade it... which can happen as they are not familiar with the HW yet (and it will still look astonishing). Just think about what they did with the PS4... I seriously can't imagine what we will get in a couple of years. Just pray that Sony continues to produce these high budget AAA single player games. And buy them, of course :messenger_beaming:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom