• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidRex

Well as long as it looks awesome I doubt people will care that much. But you're right that having it dedicated to the PS5 can lead to better results.

Ratchet for example is a PS5 exclusive and it will probably do some crazy things with the I/O not possible on the PS4.
I think the game has been designed with a new approach not done before... All new game design, a taste of whats to come.

PSX

Well it’s April 8th today...
Awkward Peace Out GIF by swerk

meanspartan

There are advantages, because the Series S is not always the same as X only at low resolution. Some games are limited to 30fps on it, some lack the option of 120 and some lack raytracing. Also, some games run at less than 1080p on Series S.
It kind of seems like this may be developers not wanting to bother optimizing for the S though isn't it? Not that I blame them, time is limited so it may be easier just to toss the same version on the S and cut the framerate.

I guess a better question would be, if a game can run at 4k60 on the Series X, is there any *technical* reason it can't run the exact same way (except at 1080p) on the S? it seems to me there is not, because the S has one third the GPU muscle, but 1080p is one fourth the pixel output. So it should have enough to match the performance of the X at that lowered resolution.

But maybe I am missing something entirely, hence my question.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It kind of seems like this may be developers not wanting to bother optimizing for the S though isn't it? Not that I blame them, time is limited so it may be easier just to toss the same version on the S and cut the framerate.

I guess a better question would be, if a game can run at 4k60 on the Series X, is there any *technical* reason it can't run the exact same way (except at 1080p) on the S? it seems to me there is not, because the S has one third the GPU muscle, but 1080p is one fourth the pixel output. So it should have enough to match the performance of the X at that lowered resolution.

But maybe I am missing something entirely, hence my question.

The best way to answer is look at first party games like Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 and Gears Tactics. They run very well on Series S. I play mine on a 1080p TV and it looks very good.
Hastily patched third party games are not really going to show what the machine can do.

3liteDragon

I'm speculating here bruh, that's all i can do since Jimbo was not capable to answer the question when he was asked about the plateforms of the game, as if Ragnarok is gonna be exclusive to PS5 or will it be crossgen.
Horizon FW was originally being planned for PlayStation 4 but PS5 also came into focus later on, that’s why it’s even a cross-gen game. Miles Morales being cross-gen makes sense, same gameplay mechanics and design as the original game and it’s a much shorter game too. R&C: Rift Apart is a PS5 exclusive and Returnal‘s also a PS5 exclusive, I think the God of War sequel’s mostly likely gonna be a PS5 exclusive as well, don’t think they’re working on a PS4 port for this one (hopefully not).

Wasn’t HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 saying the other day about how he kept hearing that GoW2 is gonna set a new benchmark for PS5? And then you got MLiD who said GoW2 would be revealed one month before it was actually revealed, he also said that someone he knows has seen the gameplay demo and told him the game features “jaw-dropping graphics that will approach photorealism.”

Article from April 2020.
The next instalment, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, started development soon after the first game’s successful release, sources said. Initially, the game was planned for PlayStation 4. However, it’s thought that development has now entirely shifted focus to Sony’s next-generation console.

Yep. Jimbo was asked point blank and refused to confirm. Thats basically one of those non denial confirmations.
Can't talk about a game they haven't shown any footage for or given an official title yet.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Horizon FW was originally being planned for PlayStation 4 but PS5 also came into focus later on, that’s why it’s even a cross-gen game. Miles Morales being cross-gen makes sense, same gameplay mechanics and design as the original game and it’s a much shorter game too. R&C: Rift Apart is a PS5 exclusive and Returnal‘s also a PS5 exclusive, I think the God of War sequel’s mostly likely gonna be a PS5 exclusive as well, don’t think they’re working on a PS4 port for this one (hopefully not).

Wasn’t HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 saying the other day about how he kept hearing that GoW2 is gonna set a new benchmark for PS5? And then you got MLiD who said GoW2 would be revealed one month before it was actually revealed, he also said that someone he knows has seen the gameplay demo and told him the game features “jaw-dropping graphics that will approach photorealism.”

Article from April 2020.

Can't talk about a game they haven't shown any footage for or given an official title yet.
wasnt MILD the guy pushing the PS5 zen 3 L3 cache and infinity cache rumors?

3liteDragon

wasnt MILD the guy pushing the PS5 zen 3 L3 cache and infinity cache rumors?
He kinda also ripped off RGT leak of MGS and then claimed he didn't, no ?
Idk if MLiD said anything about Zen 3 on the console but he did say that AMD will adopt PS5’s custom GE for PC RDNA 3, which we’ve yet to see if that happens. This is what people were giving him shit for with all the “aRe yOu sAyIng pS5’S rDnA 3?!?” questions.

Regarding the MGS stuff, in the DMs, MLiD told RGT about the next God of War, telling him they’re planning to announce it soon and that it’s scheduled for a Fall 2021 release. In response, RGT told MLiD that Mark Cerny is working with a studio (maybe Bluepoint?) on an MGS remake for PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Idk if MLiD said anything about Zen 3 on the console but he did say that AMD will adopt PS5’s custom GE for PC RDNA 3, which we’ve yet to see if that happens. This is what people were giving him shit for with all the “aRe yOu sAyIng pS5’S rDnA 3?!?” questions.

Regarding the MGS stuff, in the DMs, MLiD told RGT about the next God of War, telling him they’re planning to announce it soon and that it’s scheduled for a Fall 2021 release. In response, RGT told MLiD that Mark Cerny is working with a studio (maybe Bluepoint?) on an MGS remake for PS5.
Well, lets hope GoW is next gen only. I suspect it being cross gen will be the last straw for many when it comes to Jim Ryan.

icy121

Well, lets hope GoW is next gen only. I suspect it being cross gen will be the last straw for many when it comes to Jim Ryan.
I really, really need to see what their June showcase looks like before coming to that conclusion.

If PS Studios shows up big time - which i suspect they will - Jim will have a lot of runway to work with.

As an aside, this showcase is absolutely huge for Herman Hulst. It'll have been a year and some change since he was appointed as the Head of PS Studios and this showcase in particular will show what he chose to green-light.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Im playing persona 5 royal

it is super loooong and exhausting but man it is the best JRPG maybe top 5 of all time

I will push through this amazing game specially during lockdowns it will help me to finish it

please people play it

I haven't tried getting a PS5 or Series X since December. Is the process still fucked? I get updates on when retailers get new batches but I just ignore them knowing they'll be gone in two seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom