• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Would that create additional latency though since it's far away from the APU?

I doubt that it really matters in practice.
I don’t know... what MS said is that they are using two PCB due the cube tower format... the components are separated and from pic I don’t believe the SSD is there with the APU.

Neo Blaster

Are we sure we're going to see the actual console with the games next week? I personally think they wouldn't wanna take the focus away from the games and probably would want to show the physical design and teardown in a separate event.
If rumours are correct, Sony will have next Wednesday event and a SoP on August. If Cerny wants to do a teardown in between, it would be really strange to do so without knowing the form factor.

ethomaz

Banned
From Wiki.

As the engineers collected power requirements to meet these specifications, they saw these parts would draw a large amount of internal power (approximately 315 W) and would generate a good amount of heat. This led to the decision to split the components onto two separate circuit boards; one housing the CPU/GPU, memory, and power regulators, and a second board to act as a Southbridge board for slower input/output (I/O) functions.

Board 1: APU, memory and power regulators.
Board 2: Southbridge I/O components (SSD is here).

That confirms that pic posted here doesn’t have SSD.

Last edited:

HAL-01

It has two PCB/motherboard.
The SSD is probably not in the same board as APU.

The one shows in the videos is the one that has the APU.
They're in the same board. The highlighted bit in green is the ssd, the second pic is the underside of the board, ssd is the big rectangle under the capacitors.

t5OzmdN.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The wiki says the opposite.
I/O components (that include SSD) are in the other board.

Any idea why (if leaks are true) they would use a DRAM-less SSD?

K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
The SSD is definitely on the same board as the APU (just on the other side of it).
The other board has SATA ports, ethernet and other stuffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
Any idea why (if leaks are true) they would use a DRAM-less SSD?

Probably due the read speeds.
While DRAM-less SSDs are slower for writing and have less lifespan the reading speeds are better than the ones with DRAM.

But that is a guess.
Maybe it is cheaper.

Last edited:
Its called politics.
Its something else if you implyit indirectly or if your statement can't be misunterstood.

I use such methods in my line of work all day. For example I have the order to try selling someone something thats overprized or not optimal for his businesseven though we could offer better solutions. So i'm guiding the conversation with him towards a specific thought of line without saying it directly. My client will be happy because I helped him to get a cheaper or more usefull product but my company can't blame me for loosing a client or that I helped him to pick the better solution.
My everyday problem 😭😂😂

Probably due the read speeds.
While DRAM-less SSDs are slower for writing and have less lifespan the reading speeds are better than the ones with DRAM.

But that is a guess.
Maybe it is cheaper.

Got a source on read speeds being better without DRAM? Everything I’ve seen so far says the opposite. Especially for random reads.

There’s a hint of vagueness in his voice, almost like he doesn’t know what he is talking about lol

I think they and a few other outlets along with Digital Foundry all went there that day and filmed themselves doing the same thing, they are likely repeating word for word what an Xbox rep told them about it just before filming, I doubt they could explain much beyond that if they had to.

And have been told all of those games you mentioned will have a day zero PS5 patch can't wait to see what they look like on there.

With Horizon ZD getting a PC release this summer what do you think the chances are of the PS4 version of the game also getting a patch? I know it's old but still if they are working on some upgrades for a PC version would it be out of the realm of possibility for them to patch the PS4 version for too?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With Horizon ZD getting a PC release this summer what do you think the chances are of the PS4 version of the game also getting a patch? I know it's old but still if they are working on some upgrades for a PC version would it be out of the realm of possibility for them to patch the PS4 version for too?

I'm not sure what to patch anymore TBH, but I think the purpose of releasing it on PC is to lure more PC gamers into PS5. I know that PS5 HZD2 would make HZD1 look cartoonish and outdated no matter how ultra settings it is on PC. But one famous guy around here believes that HZD1 on PC will look better than HZD2 on PS5, and I don't want to summon him. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I think they and a few other outlets along with Digital Foundry all went there that day and filmed themselves doing the same thing, they are likely repeating word for word what an Xbox rep told them about it just before filming, I doubt they could explain much beyond that if they had to.
Definitely, I noticed the same thing as well.

Get high speed , low latency ram at least 32 GB. Have a higher initial load time and keep more of the game in ram. Also have good amount of ram in gpu.
Yeah but change the subject as you cannot get a solution SSD/IO with that level now you have to use big amount of ram, regarding the vram yeah is good but the amount is even
less in a 2080 ti than the PS5 (16 GB less what 2.5 or 2).Aside the issues they need to manage like mapping and coherency in the gpu cache (which I am sure the new gen of GPUs will improve)
and cache for the same memory directions of the gpu cache.

I am sure Epic games will use a big quantity of ram in order to close the delta but that also is another approach and even then you said a SSD raid which probably will cost more than
all the PS5 to get a decent size. PCs will exceed the PS5 sure that will happens just now doesn't do it in those aspects.

Finally the use of a super fast SSD cost CPU power .... like a lot that is why the consoles use coprocessors in the IO.
64297.png

But yeah a PC which left around 7 cores available to only the game after of use a fast SSD like what do you want 12 cores, with enough vram and power which now
you get in a 2080 TI (more power less vram), with 32 GB of ram and RAID 0 of SSDs ..... yeah that sounds like a normal high end PC.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Maybe that’s referring to the expandable ssd slot.
the wiki is correct "a second board to act as a Southbridge board for slower input/output (I/O) functions."
In this case slower I/O refers to ethernet and usb ports, and perhaps optical audio out (curiously the teardown hardware doesnt have this port)
Both HDMI port and expandable storage bay are on the main board, as they require the lowest latency possible.

FeiRR

Banned
Would that create additional latency though since it's far away from the APU?

I doubt that it really matters in practice.
I know it does matter for chip internals but they are several orders of magnitude faster than storage.

I played TLOU on PS3 in Brazilian Portuguese, wonderfully dubbed by a professional studio from here. Then I got the remaster on PS4 to play in English, higher difficulty and 1080p60. Can't wait to do it again with TLOU2 on PS4/PS5.
I never play games dubbed because they sound like cartoons. I think the only game this generation I played with translation out of choice was Witcher 3, for obvious reasons. It's one of things which I don't like about XGP PC, you can't choose the language and my Windows has to be localized because of work.

Wonderful AI stuff comes from this channel, I always enjoy their videos and they bring new possibilities of making future game development easier:

I've met the author in person. He's very dedicated to that project. He was trying to convince me to participate and I kept telling him that I'm not academic :D.

I never play games dubbed because they sound like cartoons. I think the only game this generation I played with translation out of choice was Witcher 3, for obvious reasons. It's one of things which I don't like about XGP PC, you can't choose the language and my Windows has to be localized because of work.
On PlayStation you might get localized dub as 1st choice depending on settings, usually Finland doesn't get any localized audio so I never changed the language setting. Started playing LittleBigPlanet and the narrator was a recognizable voice from Kids TV show, I felt physically ill🤮, it killed the game for me in the first few minutes. Changed the settings to make sure I never get localized content, and never played any LBP again after that.

Ptarmiganx2

I have a bias for Xbox, so I'm looking at it with optimism. I believe that their might be a possibility that the UE5 demo can't run the same way on the Xbox as it did on the PS5, but I hope it does. And as long as I don't see an industry professional claiming that this isn't possible, or Epic releasing tech specs of the demo (which they won't) I believe XSX might also be able to run it. And I don't agree that it's an assumption without a base. When Microsoft says that 100GB of assets is instantly available via XVA, why would I not believe them? Of course we don't know what they mean by "instant", but I'm and optimist so... 😊

If you prefer Xbox style games, they created the perfect system for you. It will push fps and racing games like no other. Sony’s system is designed for cinematic open world games. I honestly think both manufacturers created the right system for their users. I myself LOVE Horizon Zero Dawn...I cannot wait to see the streaming assets and foliage in the game . Jaw meet floor!

FeiRR

Banned
On PlayStation you might get localized dub as 1st choice depending on settings, usually Finland doesn't get any localized audio so I never changed the language setting. Started playing LittleBigPlanet and the narrator was a recognizable voice from Kids TV show, I felt physically ill🤮, it killed the game for me in the first few minutes. Changed the settings to make sure I never get localized content, and never played any LBP again after that.
I have PS4 in English but there are games which have it stripped. Activision is known for that crap. They probably want to prevent internal imports but it's quite stupid as our games are more expensive due to high VAT tax. So when I first ran Overwatch, I got Russian (imagine the shock). They patched it at some point but COD still doesn't allow you to choose English as default. Then you play with friends (I play a lot with a fellow Finn) and you can't even agree on a map because you have to guess what's its name.

I hope split game downloads next gen also include language packs. Tick the language you want to download, there you go. For me it'd be a great feature.

Oh, I remember that last MP game I played with dubs was Battlefield 3. The translation included some very explicit military slur. EA never dared to do it again. Because, you know, soldiers never swear...

They left it out.

But then you say, ‘okay, we’re going to plan to sell, you know, 100 million of these consoles.’
Spencer is such a jester, I tell ya!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I see, not surprised as I’m confident I’ve never used it in my life
There are still people that use it, but honestly they should upgrade their hardware and buy equipment that supports HDMI. It's much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom