• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Something akin to PS4 Pro design leak?

e2ujtn7yvv151.jpg

Edit: I hope it is not this. And it smells fishy but still wanted to share in any case.

That is just FANTASTIC. Really shows the genius at Sony in the engineering department. The ventilation vents for air cooling are in the optimal place for maximum heat dispersion. Also love how to maximize the space you get that gentle raised circular area...also to help maximize ventilation. Just an AWESOME example of engineering prowess! Big scoop for whoever found this! Kudos to them!!

TLZ

Banned
Translate on the bit about BC
Subtitle: Unique design that merges old and new
Since Playstation 5 supports all the games of the previous generations, you can play them on your new console. In other words, all the games that are on Playstation 2, 3 and 4 can be played on Playstation 5. With this feature Sony who steals their users hearts (Turkish adage here and translated directly so..) helps enable gamers keep on playing their beloved franchises without any sacrifice.
I really hope this is true and not just about PS Now.

Tiago07

All this Sega talk. Nostalgia.

About this Sega talk

But seriously this will help Xbox in Japan but MS needs games, because I think MS First Party exclusives is not the game the people from Japan really enjoy. Make Japan Games is a Sony expertise, and they dominate this market.

Games we from western enjoy like Uncharted and even God of War from Sony is not quite popular in Japan like here.

Imtjnotu

About this Sega talk

But seriously this will help Xbox in Japan but MS needs games, because I think MS First Party exclusives is not the game the people from Japan really enjoy. Make Japan Games is a Sony expertise, and they dominate this market.

Games we from western enjoy like Uncharted and even God of War from Sony is not quite popular in Japan like here.

Lol this is some dumb shit

quest

Not Banned from OT
About this Sega talk

I have a better chance scoring with beyonce than this being true 0%. It does nothing for sega and Microsoft still would sell nothing in the east. If they were buying a few exclusives sure but this lol.

hes pretty much spot on. TF number is akin to a car's top theoretical speed. Theres a myriad other numbers that determine how well the car drives in real world use, and even then you would only notice the difference in an ideal situation, speeding down a perfectly straight road

True and depending on how well a system is designed they can hit their theoretical numbers more often than other systems.

Now when it comes to these two console I have no idea which one gets closer to their theoretical numbers.

Larryfox

You said what they "promised" wasn't impressive. this isn't about whether you like tech demos or not, your claim was that even if games look like the tech demo you would not be impressed.

So again, what would it take to impress you, you are saying they promised that games that look as technically impressive as the demo and you aren't impressed by that level.

how much better would the tech demo(which is a promise) need to look.
its not about how good the game looked, that’s my issue with the tech demo I wish it Focused on things not possible on ps5, not how much graphically things will look better. I keep hearing how ps5 was going to do unlock things that aren’t possible and we saw was a tech demo that focused on graphics sadly.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I’m disappointed in what they’ve talked about

its not about how good the game looked, that’s my issue with the tech demo I wish it Focused on things not possible on ps5, not how much graphically things will look better. I keep hearing how ps5 was going to do unlock things that aren’t possible and we saw was a tech demo that focused on graphics sadly.

Well, those graphics aren't possible on PS4 so you got your wish. :messenger_winking:
I think there will just be a lot less gameplay idea that were held back because all the baking and graphical tricks they need to do would fall apart if they attempted them.

Until we plug our brains into some hardware I don't think there will be many game ideas that aren't possible if you are willing to turn graphics down to N64 level.

Last edited:
About this Sega talk

From my experience SEGA in Japan is associated with arcades not a lot else. My wife grew up there, had Game Boy and PlayStation and she only knows the Sonic music from “UFO catcher” machines.
I think SEGA as a brand for gaming or home consoles is bigger outside of Japan than in it. At least in my experience.

I keep hearing how ps5 was going to do unlock things that aren’t possible and we saw was a tech demo that focused on graphics sadly.

"Regarding loading and streaming, though, Sweeney says that the PlayStation 5's SSD architecture is "god-tier" and "pretty far ahead of PCs," but that you should still get "awesome performance" with an NVMe SSD, which I'm using. One thing is for sure: If you haven't already, it's time to ditch HDDs, which Sweeney doesn't expect anyone to load games from in the near future. "

Alot of that demo isn't possible on the PS4 due to its incredibly slow I/O system. While UE5 is scalable across multiple platforms the higher level functions are just not possible on the PS4. If they made this demo for the PS4 it would look alot different and not in a good way.

From my experience SEGA in Japan is associated with arcades not a lot else. My wife grew up there, had Game Boy and PlayStation and she only knows the Sonic music from “UFO catcher” machines.
I think SEGA as a brand for gaming or home consoles is bigger outside of Japan than in it. At least in my experience.
Also with bread .... I need more of that Sega bread :lollipop_smiling_hearts:

Larryfox

"Regarding loading and streaming, though, Sweeney says that the PlayStation 5's SSD architecture is "god-tier" and "pretty far ahead of PCs," but that you should still get "awesome performance" with an NVMe SSD, which I'm using. One thing is for sure: If you haven't already, it's time to ditch HDDs, which Sweeney doesn't expect anyone to load games from in the near future. "

Alot of that demo isn't possible on the PS4 due to its incredibly slow I/O system. While UE5 is scalable across multiple platforms the higher level functions are just not possible on the PS4. If they made this demo for the PS4 it would look alot different and not in a good way.
But that’s all tied to improvement in graphics, which I don’t really care for. I wanted to see unique gameplay things that’s only possible on ps5. I Would’ve loved to see varied environments that changed quickly because of the SSD, but they decided to show us just a brown cave. I think that would’ve been way more impressive than zooming on a rock or a bunch of statuses. Just to reiterate I’m not saying what they showed wasn’t impressive, just didn’t feel next gen to me.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I am wondering if they will show a segment that is dedicated to the audio/chip part of the ps5.

I know graphics are an easier thing to perhaps convey or convince people of next gen as eye candy is what most people get excited about.

I just wonder what scene or setting they would try to create in order to make people sit up and take notice of their new sound engine.

Perhaps the games itself will be enough.
I really do not know.

I think they may again mention the dedicated audio processing, but that's really not the kind of thing that's well suited to SHOW. So I expect mostly focus on graphics and that kind of demo with some mention of audio capabilities. The audio...we'll all need to hear that for ourselves, really.

Larryfox

Well, those graphics aren't possible on PS4 so you got your wish. :messenger_winking:
I think there will just be a lot less gameplay idea that were held back because all the baking and graphical tricks they need to do would fall apart if they attempted them.

Until we plug our brains into some hardware I don't think there will be many game ideas that aren't possible if you are willing to turn graphics down to N64 level.
You got me thinking of ready player one now and sword art online. I can’t stop fantasizing of plugging something in my head and waking up in Hogwarts now. I hope I’m alive when that’s possible.

Tiago07

Oh yes, my generation started with PS2 and I only know Sega by the Sonic's games, but I don't know if Sega consoles was popular someday here in Brazil (I didn't see or know anyone with that). But I appreciate your experience and comment, honestly I don't belive in this rumor, but your comment help us to better comprehend the real situation (Sega popularity in Japan or its a possible thing the Sega Series X), thanks.

travisktl

But that’s all tied to improvement in graphics, which I don’t really care for. I wanted to see unique gameplay things that’s only possible on ps5. I Would’ve loved to see varied environments that changed quickly because of the SSD, but they decided to show us just a brown cave. I think that would’ve been way more impressive than zooming on a rock or a bunch of statuses. Just to reiterate I’m not saying what they showed wasn’t impressive, just didn’t feel next gen to me.
Well, to be fair, the presentation was about the new engine, and happened to highlight features that are made possible by the PS5, and I think they did a good job showing that. It was an engine demo first and foremost.

It was also supposed to shown at GDC, and was intended to be directed at developers. What you and I’m sure most other people (me included) want to see, is most likely being shown on Thursday. That’ll be the really exciting stuff, and the first true glimpse into what next gen will offer.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
We were all talking about how certain people on this thread will still find a way to say the PS5 is 9.2 TFLOPs even after the official specs are revealed, and it looks like that number will go down eventually lol. Today, it looks like the TFLOPs FUD spreading is back again on this thread.
Who?

Games Dean

Probably not man, it’s a pipe dream
I wouldn't be so quick to assume. We know Guerrilla's second project is a shooter and one of the two new unannounced first party dev teams (one is a brand new studio located in San Diego, the other is a 2nd dev team created within Sony San Diego) was hiring for people with fps experience.

I think SOCOM is in development somewhere amongst Playstation Studios, but I think it may still be a few years away.

roops67

Just realised that the new Dual Sense joystick doesn't have the triangular light bar behind that 'was' used for tracking by the PlayStation camera, any idea if they've done away with this feature?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to assume. We know Guerrilla's second project is a shooter and one of the two new unannounced first party dev teams (one is a brand new studio located in San Diego, the other is a 2nd dev team created within Sony San Diego) was hiring for people with fps experience.

I think SOCOM is in development somewhere amongst Playstation Studios, but I think it may still be a few years away.
Yup, pretty sure it has to be a shooter. Guerrilla hired people who worked in Rainbow Six Siege so that tells us something. It might be a tactical shooter, it could be a SOCOM reboot, Killzone or brand new IP, guess we'll have to keep waiting to really know what's the game.

Corndog

Banned
Really man is that a question ?

Is not only if is unstable (which can be also in a bigger chip) in order XSX to get a clock locked under any workload they need underclock its systems so when for example a heavy
workload appears in the queue of the CPU for example an AVX the CPU doesn't need to reduce its clock in order to reduce the peak in consume.

This is traditional approach in the worlds of consoles is not new, has its advantages like constants clock doesn't matter what (if the cooling solution is good enough) but instead
you chip is not using all its potential and even if the system is doing simple things is wasting many energy, for this reason they cannot just increment the clock of one the chips
so easily if they don't control all its SoC as Sony does.

The case of PS5 the only moment when the CPU or GPU will reduce its clocks is when a workload in the CPU/GPU is so heavy than need change its clock in order to be inside
the parameter of energy consume, so its approach is different than the normal follow for the consoles where the termal are rules with lock clocks, yes will exists some situations
where a couple of percent reduction in frequency will be necessary but this allows to Sony to reach so higher frequencies most of times which helps in more things than
only increment the Flops.

Cerny mention an example where if you reduce the clocks by 10% percent because maybe the current workload is so easy to do than is not necessary more than your consume
will be reduce by a 27% percent. So I expect a reduction of only 10% of energy I expect be around 3-3.5% in reduction of clock.

One misconception which we have about the GPU and CPU which is very common see in the PC gaming community is Clock=Use or Clock=Energy consumed, when the reality
is a little more complex, a CPU can be running to 3 GHz doing just simple operation like "8 bit Add" will consume less energy than other doing an AVX operation, you can see that now
in how the CPU in PC reduce its clock in order to not exceed the energy limit set for that chip. The benchmark show a similar consume between 2 chips of the same architure
because both chips are doing the same basics workloads.

So the relationship should be more like this Energy consumed = Clock*Workload and as we know energy consumed is related to heat generated.

But even then those situations where you have running both CPU and GPU to its max clock with heavy workloads for longs periods of time are not common in the videogames,
the videogames are not programs which function is to stress your system, so all this will happens in some specific moments that is why is not recommend for a normal
PC gamer to run stress test in its PCs for long periods of time if they want to have for a long time their components.
Yes. Not hard to answer. Myself I would answer I am biased towards Xbox. Though I do try to not be blind to the positives of Sony or the negatives around Xbox.

Nickolaidas

I would play all of these and then some more :D

9FFtGxv.jpg

Dude ... I ... I ...

So many years ago ... I got this game and I loved its soundtrack. But I gave it away ... and I forgot its title. I've been searching for its music on youtube ... but I could never find it because of not remembering the title. I tried describing it on message boards, but I had forgotten how the main characters looked like. All I remember was that it had kiddie graphics. No one knew which game I was talking about. For twenty years ... I had lost all hope.

And now ... after so many years ... I see the box art again ... and I remembered.

.... thanks, man. Thanks so much.

bitbydeath

Yup, pretty sure it has to be a shooter. Guerrilla hired people who worked in Rainbow Six Siege so that tells us something. It might be a tactical shooter, it could be a SOCOM reboot, Killzone or brand new IP, guess we'll have to keep waiting to really know what's the game.

If it’s Warhawk I’ll be buying two PS5’s at or near launch.

Last edited:
Yes. Not hard to answer. Myself I would answer I am biased towards Xbox. Though I do try to not be blind to the positives of Sony or the negatives around Xbox.
But with more reason this kind of question is pointless:

-If he say "I am not biassed" you will not believe him and probably be angry for that response
-If he say "I like more Sony" then you will say/think "I know it"
-If he say "I prefer Xbox" you will think is lying
-If he don't reply then this will become an Argument from silence

Of course every person is bias that why we try to sustain our response with arguments.

That is why in the personal is so important when a debate with someone be clear that person actually have idea of what is saying and is talking
with base in her/his experience and technical knowledge. That why I found boring and annoying when someone just make copy paste of PR talks.

I agree than use of TF as a magic measure for performance is only do it for two kind of people:

-PR (also Sony and Nintendo used this kind of stuff)
-People without enough technical knowledge

When a dev has to work in something never start to ask please I need the Flops of the GPU and the CPU in order to know if is possible to do Y process
in that time.

Exists so many variables in PC and console which you will need engineer specialized in software and hardware to explain in detail all of them, so make
a direct comparison is just stupid, you can compare the same test done in both machines but not just see TF and says, this 20% better, this has never
work in this way.

Lethal01

Them being able to fly pass those rocks is exactly the thing that shows that changing environments quickly is positive. It's a short way of showing it to anyone that understands the tech.

They can't showcase things that select people might personally find cool, this demo shows how things have changed on a fundamental level and now it's up to devs to use the Impressive improvements to make games that fit peoples personal tastes.

They aren't gonna go "now you can do this specific thing, and this specific thing and this specific thing and this specific thing" using way more time that's needed. Showing that you can stream in a "boring" statue with a plethora of 8k maps and hundred of millions of tris using realtime gi at 1440p 30fps shows people who work in this industry that all that stuff is now easily doable.

To make it short that statue has more detail than the environement to the opening 10 minutes of ff7 remake. you just gotta think a little to understand the implications.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
giphy.gif

When did I say that TF is more important than efficiency? If I have always defended efficiency above theoretical power (the numbers used in packaging). Are you talking about me or are you talking about what others have interpreted (good or bad) about my contributions? Because, as far as I know, I have never claimed that PS5 was going to have 13.8TF (neither GCN nor RDNA nor RDNA2). In any case perhaps you mean the 13.8TF that I have always mentioned as a clear joke that I had with some users. Maybe you didn't read those messages. It's possible. With so many messages it is difficult to keep track of these things and be left alone with what the masses interpret. It is much easier to accuse in a short message without first analyzing the original information or even asking me privately to know if you were shitting it or not. But I am sure your intentions were not bad. I forgive you.

Likewise, let us take advantage of the moment to break down the general theme and put each one in her place (so that each one feels alluded to in what she sees fit).

Let's see, the only thing I have stated about PS5 is that it was not 9.2TF. That was over 10TF. And that at one point in time it was more efficient based on the initial DevKits (which over time has been changing to one side and the other to the point that to this day I continue to defend that the final version of PS5 will continue to be more efficient). What does that mean? Well, with less you get more. And that's it.

I have also said good things about XSX (but those are easily forgotten from what I see).

What's wrong with assuming that one product is more revolutionary than another? It's reality. Why not admit it? What do they pay you?

And what is even worse, is that I am not supposed to talk about TFs in a thread called "Speculation / Analysis / Leaks" where all the time TFs are being talked about and little else. Well, no. There is much more, and that is what I have been trying to tell you since I arrived. That you stop the nonsense of the TFs. Everybody.

Another thing is that you like to talk about theoretical equivalences. Where certainly, if you want to talk about theoretical equivalences then ...

9.2 RDNA2 = 11.5 RDNA = 13.8 GCN
10.3 RDNA2 = 12.9 RDNA = 15.5 GCN

(In 3 months they will come saying that I have said that PS5 has + 15TF)

13.8 was a joke (which I said on different occasions, including the first time where I already said it was an EXAMPLE) based on the happy 9.2 that some loved so much. Since you will not expect me to skip the NDA, and less in a public forum.

And yes, for me it is legal to talk about GCN values when all the time you are trying to compare them with PC GPUs and trying to catalog them among the 20xx range. Well, if you want to make numerical equivalences, those exposed would be correct.

What you don't quite understand, and that you have been told a thousand times, is that you CANNOT COMPARE PEARS WITH APPLES. Not seriously. You have every right to do it, but it only serves to pass the time. You cannot compare PCs with Consoles. Never. Unless you do it for fun. Or to try to get an idea of something, but never to affirm anything serious. On PCs and consoles it does not work the same way. They are not exploited in the same way. They are not designed in the same way. They are not personalized in the same way. And they cannot be compared. If you want to do it, you are within your rights, but it is a waste of time.

Now let's go to reality, because talking about theoretical power is fine, but it is pure fantasy everywhere. And what Sony was looking for with PS5 was to make that fantasy come true. That dream". And it has succeeded, it has approached practically perfect efficiency points. Because, excuse me for saying, but did you really believe that the games took advantage of the full potential of your graphics cards? Obviously not, never. Surely it is a reality that some will not be able to bear when the time comes (seen what is seen). But let's be serious. I don't buy a product because of the number it says on the box. I buy a product because of how the games work on it. If you are one of the first, then you are deceived in life. And you know what? That maybe better like this, because that way you will be happier.

But the reality is that this is the theoretical reality. You may like it or not. But it is reality. And I tell you and all developers who touch the system tell you. PS5 is a revolution. And that revolution will have tangible results. Regardless of the TFs.

I will emphasize it for clarity. Saying that something is wonderful does not mean that the other is shit. Siemplente are different. But PS5 is different from everything seen so far and represents a change at all levels.

And forgive me for repeating it but apparently it seems necessary. I have said on countless occasions that theoretical power is NOT important / relevant, what matters is practical efficiency.

I repeat this because it seems that those conversations have been overlooked.

And to remind you that I do not come here to defend anything. I am not a shareholder in any company, and if it were not for the confinement you would still see me less around here. Which perhaps is what many want. So you would not have to assimilate the possible realities that I have come to put on the table. The data is what it is, the XSX GPU is more powerful in theoretical numbers, the results will be something else. Sometimes they will be better and sometimes they will be the same or worse. But I guess it's not what you want to read. And if some people do not like reality or are unable to accept it (which seems perfect to me) let everyone live in their reality. But if you are one of those I have nothing more to talk about because we would all be wasting our time, and I don't want you to waste your time reading directly to me (or indirectly through the interpretations of others). I prefer that you go to do other more interesting things such as perhaps accepting that what they sometimes sell you is not always relevant. NOT ALWAYS. ("not always" means sometimes yes and sometimes no). Or, for example, see the launch of SpaceX in 6 minutes. (https://www.spacex.com/launches/)

And by the way, I'm not the one obsessed with TFs. You always assume that only more TFs can impress you. Well, no. What is impressive about PS5 is not the TFs but many other things. And when I put that gif, what stunned me wasn't exactly the TFs. We developers are not impressed by TFs or GHZs. Logically against more better, but it does not have the relevance that you think. It shouldn't be a measuring stick.

I hope that what I have written has been of some use to you. At least I hope it serves to keep you distracted for the next few hours while I'm going to watch the launch of SpaceX if they don't cancel it again.

In any case do not suffer the others to which I have not yet responded. I will, you are not going to get rid, but I will when I have time. Later tomorrow or when you can.

Especially the response to Bogroll Bogroll .

Cheers
I know a answer to my own question, at least i think i do. I meant to bring it up here the other day but forgot about as it was just a quick browse. And anyone thinking iv'e been scanning the internet for a answer :messenger_grinning: i can take a pic of my search history from last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom