• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A bit off-topic, but when's the last time anyone went for a shit without a mobile phone and the internet? I did it accidentally the other day and it was rubbish. I didn't know what to do, and I don't know how people used to manage. Could just about reach a hand soap bottle to have a read of but it wasn't that interesting.

Man, I finish in few seconds, 1 minute max. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: You treat it like some kinda picnic.:lollipop_fearful: Maybe more liquids?:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Am I the only one though?:lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What you guys talking about 'finishing' and 'liquids' ?

4318029.jpg

This whole delay feels like one giant tease.

Its like being bound by handcufs to a steel chair in a dimly lit room and having a pretty lady dry humping the ever living shit out of you. Then she proceeds to start giving you the slowest handjob you ever imagined and just when you reached the point of blowing your load, she ups and leaves the room.

At this point you're pissed off, happy, depressed and generally just fucked in the head that you start to bob back and forth while foaming at the mouth.

This is how i feel. I'm way passed blue balls here.

Can they just fucking announce the new date already !!!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What am I missing here? Why is the 4TB so much more money than the 2TB? The price delta between 1-2TB is decreasing but then all of a sudden it triples. :pie_diana:

More expensive modules, denser, to reach that much and yet provide sustainable speeds (heat). I paid around $300 for my 1TB last year, they're expensive, but usually inflated, that's why you get big sales later on.

Last edited:
Does this mean the NDA Has been lifted?
Not exactly many of the features basically related to the API always live under that even parts of the hardware.

That is why if you want to deploy you project of UE in for example in PS4 you need first to be certified as dev for them and then
pay for a devkit.

The forum of that engine for PS4 devs is only for them there they the share doubts or show things they do using the API
of some console and the same people of Sony helps when they can.

IkarugaDE

Does this mean the NDA Has been lifted?
There are some rumors online that the NDA expired on June 4th. (i.e. at the actual date of the presentation). As an example, the update of the RAD bink middleware was mentioned, which yesterday called expilzit an update to the PS5 SDK 1.0. (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkhist.htm)

However, this has not been confirmed and even if Sony can continue to extend the NDA (at least until after the hopefully upcoming presentation).

This whole delay feels like one giant tease.

Its like being bound by handcufs to a steel chair in a dimly lit room and having a pretty lady dry humping the ever living shit out of you. Then she proceeds to start giving you the slowest handjob you ever imagined and just when you reached the point of blowing your load, she ups and leaves the room.

At this point you're pissed off, happy, depressed and generally just fucked in the head that you start to bob back and forth while foaming at the mouth.

This is how i feel. I'm way passed blue balls here.

Can they just fucking announce the new date already !!!
you're giving me PTSD now, I could swear this describes my friday nights to a shocking level of accuracy :O

FeiRR

Banned
add procedural generated stuff and data size should shrink even more if i think correctly

I've always wondered why games don't use more procedurally generated stuff. Probably because of weak CPUs so now will be the time.

This is 4 kilobytes. This is 96 kilobytes (and very old).

What you guys talking about 'finishing' and 'liquids' ?
I've been talking to Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , finished my liquids and went to sleep. I wake up now and see he's been talking all night to people on Discord :D

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sure... if you like to play games 5 years after they first came out... while in a couple of months you can see their sequel with better graphics and better mechanics and you will need to wait another 5 years to play that too...

To be honest, most PC gamers are known to be waiters, they have some magical endurance to watch games and reviews and not touch them until they see some humble-bundle sales on Steam or snatch a free game from Epic Games that has been released on PS3 (GTA5).

Yet you see a smart ass that would pay thousands of money for diminishing returns then brag that he uses free internet (no subscription).

Funnily, all that money spent for gaming on PC is now going down the shitter, and I don't feel sorry for them. They've been shitting on every PS4 exclusive video just for fun then go back to play generic shit on PC at 1080p@394fps then argue that 4K and 8K are gimmicks.

I would love to cook my steak on their salty tears. And yes, I have a gaming-ready PC but won't game on it, it's not convenient for me and it's not the purpose of building it.

Long live, consolers.:lollipop_raising_hand: Fuck crossplay.

Last edited:
this is an excellent point. piracy is still rampant in the pc space, and this is despite the fact that games are dirt cheap on pc. and these guys spend thousands of dollars building pcs with high end parts. the cheapos dont even do that. why would they buy sonys first party games at $60?

i still remember andrew house saying how he made the pro to keep the hardcore gamers from switching to the pc like they do at the tail end of each gen. he didnt want to lose that revenue. he wanted them to stay in the ps4 eco system. he wanted those ps+ subs for four more years. he wanted that 10% royalty cut from every third party sale. 30% cut from every digital third party sale. and now they are basically telling everyone, dont come to us, we will come to you. you can stay on pc, not pay us $60 a year for online multiplayer, not pay us 30% on every copy sold, and invest more and more into microsoft's eco system instead.

its such a silly and short term move its bizarre. its a decision made by execs to make a few million dollars to line up their pockets. i dont see any ps5 game selling millions on pc at launch. you see this with third party games on pc. they simply dont sell as well despite pc gamers boasting about 200 million active online users.

this is just poor massaging, period.

This is a suit trying to impress on his new promotion. Has no idea what he's doing but wants to bring in cash to impress higher ups while also currying favor with a vocal minority. Copies the competitions poor idea. It's not that complicated. Console business fundamentals are known. Deviation is always uncharted territory asking for trouble. But you know, there is always that suit....

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is a suit trying to impress on his new promotion. Has no idea what he's doing but wants to bring in cash to impress higher ups while also currying favor with a vocal minority. Copies the competitions poor idea. It's not that complicated. Console business fundamentals are known. Deviation is always uncharted territory asking for trouble. But you know, there is always that suit....
reading this reminded me of JC Penny which is closing its stores this week after a 100 years. they hired some apple or google new age exec to increase the profits and this idiot came in and removed all the coupons, and marked down the prices to make it 'less complicated'. well it turns out, he misread his own consumer and those housewives loved coupons. without coupons, they didnt feel like they were getting a deal and simply stopped shopping. within a year, their profits evaporated and they were on their way to becoming bankrupt.

coronavirus finished the job. i never understood the need to change things up when things are going good. sony has this in the bag, they just need to do what they have been doing.

He flips like a coin, I'm studying his case.

Dear SlimySnake SlimySnake , take it easy. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
lol i never said ps5 is doomed. i am just criticizing sony for the same reasons i criticized phil for his port everything to pc stance. i just strongly believe this is a bad business decision that will hurt gamers in the future. exclusives matter.

if i didnt criticize sony for the same issues, i'd be a hypocrite.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

PS5-optimized engines won't use LOD's on PS5, less capable platforms may still.
Technology like nanite is only possible with static geometry. I expect LOD still to be a thing in this generation.
lol i never said ps5 is doomed. i am just criticizing sony for the same reasons i criticized phil for his port everything to pc stance. i just strongly believe this is a bad business decision that will hurt gamers in the future. exclusives matter.

I fully agree. While with third parties exclusives are something from the past with first parties or owning the IP like with Bloodborne is a risky move that devaluates your system.

Last edited:

Voidout

To be honest, most PC gamers are known to be waiters, they have some magical endurance to watch games and reviews and not touch them until they see some humble-bundle sales on Steam or snatch a free game from Epic Games that has been released on PS3 (GTA5).

Yet you see a smart ass that would pay thousands of money for diminishing returns then brag that he uses free internet (no subscription).

Funnily, all that money spent for gaming on PC is now going down the shitter, and I don't feel sorry for them. They've been shitting on every PS4 exclusive video just for fun then go back to play generic shit on PC at 1080p@394fps then argue that 4K and 8K are gimmicks.

I would love to cook my steak on their salty tears. And yes, I have a gaming-ready PC but won't game on it, it's not convenient for me and it's not the purpose of building it.

Long live, consolers.:lollipop_raising_hand: Fuck crossplay.
Better hope Sony agrees cause these ports ain't looking like it.

Reficul

New fans are impressively quite, dear friend. Here's my PC with a total of 12x fans (5x intake, 1x exhaust, 1x CPU, 3x GPU, 1x power supply) and dead-silent. New fans are pretty great and silent, I personally expected so much noise and didn't believe what I read on the web:

149725.jpg
I really struggled with the maths on this quote:
"total of 12x fans (5x intake, 1x exhaust, 1x CPU, 3x GPU, 1x power supply)"

I tried to use my old school mathematics, then some more inventive maths but I couldn't make it 12.
Then I took a look at the pic and saw the reflection. Then it all added up.

11 PC fans + 1 PlayStation fan = 12 fans in total

Voidout

reading this reminded me of JC Penny which is closing its stores this week after a 100 years. they hired some apple or google new age exec to increase the profits and this idiot came in and removed all the coupons, and marked down the prices to make it 'less complicated'. well it turns out, he misread his own consumer and those housewives loved coupons. without coupons, they didnt feel like they were getting a deal and simply stopped shopping. within a year, their profits evaporated and they were on their way to becoming bankrupt.

coronavirus finished the job. i never understood the need to change things up when things are going good. sony has this in the bag, they just need to do what they have been doing.

Based on their statements they will still push for exclusives on ps5. I just dont understand why they undermine their legacy library with PC ports. The potential for having an irristitable library of games with BC is insane.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I really struggled with the maths on this quote:
"total of 12x fans (5x intake, 1x exhaust, 1x CPU, 3x GPU, 1x power supply)"

I tried to use my old school mathematics, then some more inventive maths but I couldn't make it 12.
Then I took a look at the pic and saw the reflection. Then it all added up.

11 PC fans + 1 PlayStation fan = 12 fans in total

Case has 6x: 5x intake and 1x exhaust. Then the GPU has 3x fans. The CPU has 1x fan. Power supply has 1x fan. If you don't do overclocking, you barely hear it while rendering 4K videos. Without doing heavy work, you need to get pretty close to the case to ever can hear anything.

Overall, new fans are pretty smart and less noisy, people might be building assumptions upon old experiences.

C U :sleep:🛏💤

I'll figure it out when I wake up.

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

I am going to take Hermans words to heart though. This could be how to get people who wouldn't otherwise experience playstation to buy into ps5. However, if more than 50 percent of their AAA library goes to PC I would say they don't give a fuck and will just be ok with 1 year min exclusivity as the benefit of having a console.
You forget that a PS5 is definitely cheaper than a gaming PC with specs that shows a comparable performance. If I do not have a gaming PC and want to play "sony games" why would I buy an expensive gaming PC instead of a PS5? And regarding MS exclusives: IMO I can buy Series X and a PS5 and it's still cheaper than a comparable gaming PC. That doesn't mean that gaming PCs are unnecessary, quite the contrary. But either I already have such a PC at home and upgrade my hardware regularly anyway or not. No one would not buy a PS5 just because five PS5 games appear on PC a year later.

Last edited:

Voidout

You forget that a PS5 is definitely cheaper than a gaming PC with specs that shows a comparable performance. If I do not have a gaming PC and want to play "sony games" why would I buy an expensive gaming PC instead of a PS5? And regarding MS exclusives: IMO I can buy Series X and a PS5 and still are cheaper than a comparable gaming PC. That doesn't mean that gaming PCs are unnecessary, quite the contrary. But either I already have such a PC at home and upgrade my hardware regularly anyway or not. No one would not buy a PS5 just because five PS5 games appear on PC a year later.
I'm not saying a few games a year later, but a bunch of games 1 year later or day and date would be a deal breaker. There would be no game advantage to play on ps5 aside from a few titles. Sony needs a library of exclusive titles like Nintendo to keep up console sales.

I'm not saying they won't do that, their statements make it seem like they are still investing in exclusive games, however, these ports do raise the question.

IkarugaDE

I'm not saying a few games a year later, but a bunch of games 1 year later or day and date would be a deal breaker. There would be no game advantage to play on ps5 aside from a few titles. Sony needs a library of exclusive titles like Nintendo to keep up console sales.

I'm not saying they won't do that, their statements make it seem like they are still investing in exclusive games, however, these ports do raise the question.
We could also speculate that the PC ports from PS-exclusives, which are currently astonishingly frequent, could also be attractants.

FeiRR

Banned
I think all of the vegetation in HZD was procedural
Engines like UE or Cryengine offer a variety of tools for procedural content generation so I assume that Decima is similar. But generating assets and storing them ready in a game install is something different than on-the-fly which is the case in the above examples. You can generate anything this way but of course it takes up a lot of CPU time.

jimbojim

Banned
Was this posted?
Bloodborne coming to PC could mean... a Bloodborne sequel coming to PS5?
Also, how reliable is this person?

Dunno is true. But :

I looked up the Twitter of Sloth Mom, one of the sources. They posted it in a thread that is just a BLM justice thing using BB as bait.

Ive seen this a lot on Twitter tbh.SJWs promise PS5 exclusive and the thread after that first post is all charity links and woke shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom