• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Was this posted?
Bloodborne coming to PC could mean... a Bloodborne sequel coming to PS5?
Also, how reliable is this person?

There is NO WAY in heaver or hell that Sony would have announced something like that at the PS5 event. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nessuna.

I don't know if Bloodborne will be released on PC and personally don't really care all that much, but if it happens it will be a stealth announcement mentioned once and never again brought up, and kept as far away as possible from any PS5 marketing piece. Just like it was for Horizon.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
There is NO WAY in heaver or hell that Sony would have announced something like that at the PS5 event. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nessuna.

I don't know if Bloodborne will be released on PC and personally don't really care all that much, but if it happens it will be a stealth announcement mentioned once and never again brought up, and kept as far away as possible from any PS5 marketing piece. Just like it was for Horizon.
At their E3 and similar conferences they've always talked about their services and other things they do. Why not? I'll gladly recommend Bloodborne to my fellow PC gamers. And if there's a PC port, why not a PS5 port with 4k and 60 FPS?

Looks more like Spiderman?
What's the name of that superhero who changes size, Ant-man? A game about him would be a great way to show new capabilities.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
At their E3 and similar conferences they've always talked about their services and other things they do. Why not? I'll gladly recommend Bloodborne to my fellow PC gamers. And if there's a PC port, why not a PS5 port with 4k and 60 FPS?
Because they have seen what was the general response when they announced Horizon coming to PC (i.e. a lot of autistic screeching).

I don't doubt Sony might want to release Bloodborne to PC, or that it could be a good idea, but announcing that your old console exclusives are becoming multiplatform precisely in the middle of trying to sell a new platform on console exclusives is exceptionally retarded.

Aside from all of this, there is also the fact that From Software seems to be beyond done with Bloodborne. It was very obviously a troubled development if you peer behind the curtains (plagued by technical issues, multiple plot rewritings and severe time constraints); they scaled back the 2 DLCs they originally announced to just one (made of the rudely mishmashed content that was supposed to be spread a lot more in the original two); and they still to this day never released a PS4 Pro patch, while it would likely take literally one day of work to get the bare minimum results (Lance McDonald, a modder with a devkit PS4, managed to unlock the game's framerate and get it to run smoothly at 60fps on a PS4 Pro with a simple code inject and zero additional optimization on a source code level).

So even if a port is done From will probably want to have very little to do with it, and it won't come along with the announcement of Bloodborne 2 (which we know from people verified to have sources at the company is not currently in the workings or even planned).

Last edited:

B_Boss

Looks more like Spiderman?

Ah hah! The loooong awaited sequel!:

220px-Spider_-_The_Video_Game_Coverart.png

DrDamn

Schreier in that very article wrote he heard more exclusive games will end up on PC. I'm assuming BloodBorne is one of them. I hope they don't shaft console user-base and prepare a proper PS5 patch for it.

That would be a decent way to sweeten the pill. Bloodbourne sequel announced, enhanced PS5 version of original (which is also coming to PC).

We can discuss long-term implications for it, which is what @SlimySnake is getting at.

If we are looking at PS5 exclusives then obviously they are going to be designed around - or at least take advantage of - the PS5 SSD solution. How well that could translate to any PC versions near term will depend on use, but you'd think it would exclude or hamper some titles at least.

Personally I think Sony want to better exploit their exclusive portfolio. Rather than taking the MS approach of all titles, day one, I think Sony will continue with at least a couple of years lag - as we see with HZD - where titles fit. A PS console will still be the place to get and play them first.[

Last edited:

ToadMan

So Spiderman was ~46Gb install. This would make it about 36Gb-ish.

25% saving overall on game install footprint. Of course the question now is whether higher res textures will consume that saving...

Sony has not said what minimum clocks are. That would be useful. They probably should show graph of a game running with rates displayed.

I actually don't think Sony have a minimum clock as such - the system is designed to run at max clock "most of the time" - the times it dips are if developers haven't optimized effectively.

Where the Power budget is exceeded, I think they expect the cpu to down clock momentarily by a few % at most. But I don't think there's a deliberate "lower cap" - I suspect that during certification they will analyze submitted code and if its abusing the power budget and causing downclocks it'll be rejected requiring optimization.

In a sense this already happens now - if a game using fixed clocks consumes so much power it exceeds the cooling capability and causes instabiity, extreme heat or the console to shut down, it's just rejected during QA and the devs need to optimize.

Handy Fake

So Spiderman was ~46Gb install. This would make it about 36Gb-ish.

25% saving overall on game install footprint. Of course the question now is whether higher res textures will consume that saving...

I actually don't think Sony have a minimum clock as such - the system is designed to run at max clock "most of the time" - the times it dips are if developers haven't optimized effectively.

Where the Power budget is exceeded, I think they expect the cpu to down clock momentarily by a few % at most. But I don't think there's a deliberate "lower cap" - I suspect that during certification they will analyze submitted code and if its abusing the power budget and causing downclocks it'll be rejected requiring optimization.

In a sense this already happens now - if a game using fixed clocks consumes so much power it exceeds the cooling capability and causes instabiity, extreme heat or the console to shut down, it's just rejected during QA and the devs need to optimize.
I'm not sure I'm reading that right, but doesn't it mean that without having to dupe assets, the storage cost of the assets will be ~10% of what it is now?
If that's the case, I suspect that final bulk of the storage will be other game files and that shouldn't really change a great deal next gen?

EDIT: To clarify my thoughts.

Say if the actual game size (without visual assets) was the same next gen as this one, you could fit ten times as much visual information (objects) and it would still come in at about the same install as this gen.

Or am I reading it wrong?

Last edited:

ToadMan

if couple of percent is worst case then it would dip around 2186Mhz for GPU giving 10.07 Tflops i would not say 44Mhz is a few but i guess this is worst case scenario reducing powerdraw by 10%.

Which raises a question - if the system is exceeding the TDP momentarily, what is preferable to down clock? The goal is to momentarily reduce power consumption across the chassis, it doesn't necessarily have to be the unit consuming the most power that takes the hit...

I'd have simplistically said the CPU would be preferable to down clock ... but actually that can lead to subtle inconsistencies. So is the 2% reduction "spread" between the CPU/GPU relative to power consumption or is it just a brute force 2% on which component is consuming the most power?

I'm not sure I'm reading that right, but doesn't it mean that without having to dupe assets, the storage cost of the assets will be ~10% of what it is now?
If that's the case, I suspect that final bulk of the storage will be other game files and that shouldn't really change a great deal next gen?

Well that slide was a count of duplicated assets only which got the 90% reduction.

I'm assuming there's a decent chunk of non duplicated assets too - cutscenes, certain audio, boundaried locations... those kind of things.

I can't see that 10Gb of assets is all the game is using if the total install is 46Gb...

Last edited:

M-V2

I understand the logic behind "more players will play the game" but guys you're forgetting an important point which is, IF Sony wanted to release their exclusives on PC day & date or at least a year later then what's the point of having a blazing fast SSD and I/O throughput??

That's why we had alot of discussions on this thread and alot of you was throwing shade at MS for the exact same reason "Xbox will not be fully utilized because it's gonna be held back by Xbox One & PC"

We have been hearing alot from devs and lately from Tim Sweeney that the IO/throughput and the SSD of the ps5 are above and beyond anything available right now on any platform. So IF Sony are planning to release their exclusives on PC day & date or 1 or even 2 years later, how are we gonna see the advantage of the I/O compared to other platforms??

1st party exclusives are must to take full advantage of the new hardware and full utilize it. If you were throwing shade at MS before for the same exact reason plz do not be a hypocrite when it comes to Sony. "More players" doesn't mean better for all.

Side note: my point is, IF Sony wanted to release their ps5 exclusives on PC otherwise consider yourself that you never saw my post 😁

Yes but they’re not going to announce a port is coming to PC in an event to sell the console.
I am not so sure, could they not announce PC version of HZD and Bloodborne the same time they announce a free PS5 patch. Seems that would make (most) gamers happy.

I can see Sony releasing a number of their biggest PS4 titles on PC over the next couple of years. While keeping their PS5 titles exclusive for at least a couple of years.

HZD, Bloodborne, Spiderman, Last of Us and Uncharted Series would sell millions on PC.

Last edited:

husomc

New fans are impressively quite, dear friend. Here's my PC with a total of 12x fans (5x intake, 1x exhaust, 1x CPU, 3x GPU, 1x power supply) and dead-silent. New fans are pretty great and silent, I personally expected so much noise and didn't believe what I read on the web:

149725.jpg
Nice box. You reminded me that I just put tootpaste on my CPU 2 days back. Worked surprisingly well. dropped temps from 80 degC on idle to 50 degC.

Handy Fake

Which raises a question - if the system is exceeding the TDP momentarily, what is preferable to down clock? The goal is to momentarily reduce power consumption across the chassis, it doesn't necessarily have to be the unit consuming the most power that takes the hit...

I'd have simplistically said the CPU would be preferable to down clock ... but actually that can lead to subtle inconsistencies. So is the 2% reduction "spread" between the CPU/GPU relative to power consumption or is it just a brute force 2% on which component is consuming the most power?

Well that slide was a count of duplicated assets only which got the 90% reduction.

I'm assuming there's a decent chunk of non duplicated assets too - cutscenes, certain audio, boundaries locations... those kind of things.

I can't see that 10Gb of assets is all the game is using if the total install is 46Gb...
True true. But I suppose if you count those (cutscenes etc) under standard game files then you're still going to have a good overhead for hugely improved assets without hammering the game footprint?

Last edited:

ToadMan

True true. But I suppose if you count those (cutscenes etc) under standard game files then you're still going to have a good overhead for hugely improved assets without hammering the game footprint?

Seems like that would come down to compression for non-duplicated assets. Supposedly Kraken offers 10% more compression than zlib - what they used for Spidey compression I don't know but I assume zlib.

I understand the logic behind "more players will play the game" but guys you're forgetting an important point which is, IF Sony wanted to release their exclusives on PC day & date or at least a year later then what's the point of having a blazing fast SSD and I/O throughput??

That's why we had alot of discussions on this thread and alot of you was throwing shade at MS for the exact same reason "Xbox will not be fully utilized because it's gonna be held back by Xbox One & PC"

We have been hearing alot from devs and lately from Tim Sweeney that the IO/throughput and the SSD of the ps5 are above and beyond anything available right now on any platform. So IF Sony are planning to release their exclusives on PC day & date or 1 or even 2 years later, how are we gonna see the advantage of the I/O compared to other platforms??

1st party exclusives are must to take full advantage of the new hardware and full utilize it. If you were throwing shade at MS before for the same exact reason plz do not be a hypocrite when it comes to Sony. "More players" doesn't mean better for all.

Side note: my point is, IF Sony wanted to release their ps5 exclusives on PC otherwise consider yourself that you never saw my post 😁

Sorry to say but you are adding more fuel to fud without any reason.

This would mean Sonys 1st Patry Studios would deliberatly decide not to use the PS5 advantages to create games. Ehich goes against Sonys style to handle exclusives.

Then why would they create a console thats so different that you can't port the game without changing it. It makes no sense at all.

FeiRR

Banned
HZD, Bloodborne, Spiderman, Last of Us and Uncharted Series would sell millions on PC.
Very few games sell millions on PC. This list is probably not up to date but notice how few games broke the 3 million mark. Remember that we're talking about 30+ years of a platform with much more users than any console. Releasing a port after a few years will be okay financially but this also answers why PC doesn't get too many big budget exclusives.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This just in....

Killzone Shadow Fall coming to pc tbd

OH no!! wrap it up guys Sony is putting their exclusives on PC, no sense in getting a ps5 I'll just wait seven years for it to drop on pc

😂😂😂😂The frivolous logic you hear on here sometimes just to troll is mind bending.

Sony be like "you love me long time" though 💦💦

Good morning my fellow gamers!!!!

Last edited:

We're talking about games that are coming to PC years later than their release date, though. Nothing tells us they are considering doing releases day & date or just a year later. And, we can't dismiss the fact that they're coming out at a time where Sony is going to release new hardware, so, the market move behind Sony's decision has probably much more to do with trying to reel in people to buy the Sony hardware to play the sequels to the games they're putting there.

Andodalf

Banned
We're talking about games that are coming to PC years later than their release date, though. Nothing tells us they are considering doing releases day & date or just a year later. And, we can't dismiss the fact that they're coming out at a time where Sony is going to release new hardware, so, the market move behind Sony's decision has probably much more to do with trying to reel in people to buy the Sony hardware to play the sequels to the games they're putting there.

When Xbox started to put games on PC, People said they were dead, and that Sony would never, under any circumstances do the same. I don’t know if they’ll ever have a set date for stuff, like one year later, or 2, and I really don’t think they’ll go day and date, but you can never say never with this stuff.

M-V2

Sorry to say but you are adding more fuel to fud without any reason.

This would mean Sonys 1st Patry Studios would deliberatly decide not to use the PS5 advantages to create games. Ehich goes against Sonys style to handle exclusives.

Then why would they create a console thats so different that you can't port the game without changing it. It makes no sense at all.
What FUD?? Read the side note that I wrote. I literally said "IF" otherwise consider yourself that you never read my post.

Whoever have a different point of view, you guys accuse him for spreading FUD??

When Xbox started to put games on PC, People said they were dead, and that Sony would never, under any circumstances do the same. I don’t know if they’ll ever have a set date for stuff, like one year later, or 2, and I really don’t think they’ll go day and date, but you can never say never with this stuff.
I'm not saying never, but at the same time, what I'm saying is that nothing tells us they're doing that, because they said they wouldn't, Hulst said so. Was he lying? I don't know, but, for the time being, it's what we know. I get that people get kind of nervous around this topic, but some of the reactions seem a little bit over the top, considering what we know about it. And if they end up putting every first party game on PC, well, its their decision to make, and then people will respond accordingly. And again, there are factors to consider on the timing on them putting a couple of games out on PC right now.

At the end of the day, for me personally, it's not a big deal because even if they were to put first party games on PC, I would still buy the console, same as I do with the XBox, 'cause my PCs are built around specific needs I have for audio processing, and I don't want to clog them turning them into gaming PCs.

M-V2

Yeah I understand your point, that's why I said "IF" otherwise I don't believe Sony is going to release their ps5 exclusives on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom