• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
An announcement of a remaster on your BC console that you talked about running previous console’s games better.... very smart.

KcJXRvn.png

Neo Blaster

When Xbox started to put games on PC, People said they were dead, and that Sony would never, under any circumstances do the same. I don’t know if they’ll ever have a set date for stuff, like one year later, or 2, and I really don’t think they’ll go day and date, but you can never say never with this stuff.
Unless Sony change their approach from exclusives to services like MS did, I don't see that happening.

Gamernyc78

Banned
We're talking about games that are coming to PC years later than their release date, though. Nothing tells us they are considering doing releases day & date or just a year later. And, we can't dismiss the fact that they're coming out at a time where Sony is going to release new hardware, so, the market move behind Sony's decision has probably much more to do with trying to reel in people to buy the Sony hardware to play the sequels to the games they're putting there.

And even then it's irrelevant as most ppl do not have a gaming pc, let alone one capable to playing games in HDR or 4K.

Alot of arguments are frivolous and agenda driven.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is there not usually more than one slot for M2 sdd cards? If there is then obviously getting the 2 2TB cards is a much better deal, even if it may add a little latency along the way.

I built my PC by the book, only picked parts approved by Asus motherboard. I would've got the 4TB if available and approved. Some face some issues later and some got them dead in months (NVMe m.2 SSD's). Maybe it's a compatibility thing but most PC builders ignore official recommendations from the motherboard provider. I went with 32GB as 64GB setup wasn't listed as well.

They've updated it, as I can see. I was looking for 2TB 970 Pro Samsung, but didn't find it in the support sheet back then, along with other setups.

Last edited:
This is a suit trying to impress on his new promotion. Has no idea what he's doing but wants to bring in cash to impress higher ups while also currying favor with a vocal minority. Copies the competitions poor idea. It's not that complicated. Console business fundamentals are known. Deviation is always uncharted territory asking for trouble. But you know, there is always that suit....

Looks like these companies should never do too well in a generation .Arrogance & bad decisions follow the next gen campaign. WiiU,cell processors/£600, drm/Konnect/ overpriced xbox1/tv/movie talks. These company's only seem to do the right thing under pressure when its all on the line. Sonys history in consumer products usually ends in a decline of sales out of their own greed. Sony radio /boomboxes/hi-fi's ,walkman ,mp3/mini disk players ,viao laptops,phones, TV, PS3. It seems we are on track with the console next? The only Sony product they have never messed up to my knowledge are camera's. I assume because competition in this market is savage. This is a business they cannot afford to lose. This product is always on the line.

Not all money is good money. This new management is suspect. There's a lot of these chasing more money & cash grab rumours. Its like watching xbox2013 all over again. All these rumours about Movies,tv shows, PC. Business strategies & models .Just stinks. How does the champion follow the losers loosing business model. All I see is a road to devaluation of consoles & PS current platform. And once it crashes hard there's no coming back from it see Sega/Atari history. I just read some where Gran Turismo was going to PC. Are Sony going to let PC users play online for free?? & Then force cross play on consoles? All these games to pc would demonstrate that PS buckled to the press & PC gamers. A loud minority who do not invest in PS eco system. You can bet PS will buckle to a loud majority of actual PS subscribers & get free online multiplayer. And once we get our just due. That PS+ subscription money tanks in a year. And then it snowballs into revenue loss. This is the effect of greed ,chasing money & cash grabs with people not even invested in your eco system. You disrespect actual core audience. You will pay for it and wreck your core business.

Not all money is good money.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

New fans are impressively quite, dear friend. Here's my PC with a total of 11x* fans (5x intake, 1x exhaust, 1x CPU, 3x GPU, 1x power supply) and dead-silent. New fans are pretty great and silent, I personally expected so much noise and didn't believe what I read on the web:

149725.jpg

Sorry missed this post today...

That is an impressive fan count! No doubt for PC there are some very quiet fans available but we're talking consoles here. I don't think any consoles have ever had more than 2 fans in a retail unit? I'm guessing PS5 will be no different. I look forward to what is different about the whole cooling solution, though.

sircaw

Banned
Amanda Cerny presenting it.... in a swim suit.

Oh and in case anyone isn't into ladies - Mark Cerny doing the same...

Phil spencer doing the same thing but in Borat Mankini.
Jesus the thought of that actually makes me feel unwell lol.

Someone should do a meme of that that as i recall his costume was green, perfect for an xbox logo and stick that picture of Amanda with the ps4 chest bit. Stick that in the xbox memes area, i am sure it will go down well.

Looking at you Bo :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Right?

That tweet screams that guy in desperate need of attention.

“We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features,”

“something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5.”

Now who’s words to take. The CEO of the company or a twitter account name Sloth Mom.. hmm that’s a tough one.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

That is an impressive fan count! No doubt for PC there are some very quiet fans available but we're talking consoles here. I don't think any consoles have ever had more than 2 fans in a retail unit? I'm guessing PS5 will be no different. I look forward to what is different about the whole cooling solution, though.

Yup, many new fans are now pretty quiet, way better than same sized fans years back! So I bet Sony might consider some:

Of course, those are kinda large in comparison, but still I expect less fan noise going forward.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

There was a Bloomberg report a while back which stated Sony were investing in a exotic cooling solution which would be more "pricey". Also a fixed power supply pumping energy into 36 CU's clocked at 2.23 Ghz along with the additional heat generated by the SSD and other components. 2 fans just won't be enough IMO

Cerny did mention that the cooling strategy for the PS5 would be to figure out the the worst case scenario for the PS5 in terms of heat generated and then design a cooling solution which will be quiet at that worst case scenario. This is made easier by the fixed power budget the PS5 has.

Neo Blaster

I cant believe you posted that quote with a straight face.

Herman Hurst Two Months: Dont worry guys, Horizon coming to PC doesnt mean we will release every ps4 exclusive to PC.
Herman Hurst Two Months later after Bloodborne coming to PC Rumors: Please note I said not every game, not anymore games. I am a clever suit who gave himself an out just for this very scenario.
One game and one rumour, tell me how that translates to every game day and date, or stop spreading FUD.

Yup, many new fans are now pretty quiet, way better than same sized fans years back! So I bet Sony might consider some:

Of course, those are kinda large in comparison, but still I expect less fan noise going forward.

I'm going to stick to my theory based on the heat sink patent. Double-sided motherboard with 12x flash dies and flash controller on one side and the APU/RAM/everything else on the other. One single 100-130mm fan on the APU side.

I think Heisenberg had said a newer and slightly different (smaller?) dev kit had gone out a couple of months or so ago? I wonder if these new patents still apply to this dev kit or whether they have refined/reduced the fan count?

Neo Blaster

i already discussed this yesterday when you kept accusing me of spreading FUD. go read that again and stop treating everyone you disagree with as a xbox era discord member. it makes you come off as desperate.
I'm desperate? Really? Who is the one who keeps changing from 'PS5 hype' to 'Sony is doomed' due to every single rumour out there, no matter the source? Definitely I'm not the bipolar here.

sircaw

Banned
Nice box. You reminded me that I just put tootpaste on my CPU 2 days back. Worked surprisingly well. dropped temps from 80 degC on idle to 50 degC.

For some reason that picture reminds me of the Fire song from the crazy world of Arthur Brown.
Oldies like me will remember it. Amazing song

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm desperate? Really? Who is the one who keeps changing from 'PS5 hype' to 'Sony is doomed' due to every single rumour out there, no matter the source? Definitely I'm not the bipolar here.
wait so i am not allowed to have more than one opinion? what are we era members?

this shit isnt binary. i can like the ps5 hardware, and dislike their marketing. i can like sony exclusives and disagree with them being ported to PC and becoming non exclusives.

its funny you are doing what you accuse xbox era discord of doing. you are shutting down all discussion for a topic because you dont like it. you hate to see Sony painted in a negative light even by hardcore fucking sony fans who have spent nearly a decade on this forum criticizing MS, getting banned for it and taking on delusional xbox fanboys. you are basically thought policing because you dont like people discussing rumors in a fucking speculation thread where we spent the past 2 years discussing rumors.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm going to stick to my theory based on the heat sink patent. Double-sided motherboard with 12x flash dies and flash controller on one side and the APU/RAM/everything else on the other. One single 100-130mm fan on the APU side.

I think Heisenberg had said a newer and slightly different (smaller?) dev kit had gone out a couple of months or so ago? I wonder if these new patents still apply to this dev kit or whether they have refined/reduced the fan count?

I think those patents only serve to protect the dev kit from any cheap stolen designs.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 the new dev-kits are all black and slightly beefier, right?

EDIT: Confirmed to be all black and more sleek design (2nd DK's).

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think those patents only serve to protect the dev kit from any cheap stolen designs.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 the new dev-kits are all black and slightly beefier, right?

The latest DKs that I knew of were all black and it was hard to tell size wise what I saw but was sleeker looking, more polished of a design.

I heard within the last 2 days another wave of DKs were going out late this week/early next week.

I do not know what to expect with this kit.

All before lunch kind of hungry guesses.

sircaw

Banned
I am weak, I had to cast my vote 😂

There is space for her in my Jacuzzi bowl
Speaking exclusively to Times of Oman, an official from the Ministry of Technology and Communications said: “There is currently a breach of all electronic payment gateways in Oman belonging to OmanNet. It is advised to stop the electronic payment until it is corrected, as the specialized team is currently working to restore the services.

443doy.jpg

This is pure Gold.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The latest DKs that I knew of were all black and it was hard to tell size wise what I saw but was sleeker looking, more polished of a design.

I heard within the last 2 days another wave of DKs were going out late this week/early next week.

I do not know what to expect with this kit.

All before lunch kind of hungry guesses.

Good to hear that, and the latest patent released seems to be the 1st DK, right? As you described the 2nd looks somehow (different) so I think that confirms the patent is of the previous one.

No need to break any NDA's if those sound pretty specific. Go to lunch with your birdie and enjoy it! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
Something that really seems to have slipped by a lot of people:

Dropping clocks just enough to stay at 100% TDP (and not 90% under it, for some weird reason) isn’t reducing performance, it’s maintaining it without overheating.

Calculation costs power. If you could use more CU time AND stay higher clocks then even better, but no package—fixed clocks included!—will let you exceed TDP for any length of time.

PS5 variable clocks aren’t exceeding TDP temporarily then backing off as in a PC/mobile. They are targeting 100% TDP as much as possible.

You don’t hit 100% TDP and then reduce power. Cerny’s comments on 10% less power required when clocks drop 2% is telling us how little the clocks need to vary, not how much the power varies.

The power doesn’t vary. It stays at 100% TDP, not 90%.

Variable clocks done this way is fixed performance and easier to get to maximum utilisation.

The theoretical maximum calculated TF of the GPU that neither PS5 nor XSX can ever sustain (think burntest on stock cooler and overclocked for gaming stability) varies but the real world in world calculation amount stays fixed, and only the ratio between CU occupancy and frequency is being exchanged.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

wait so i am not allowed to have more than one opinion? what are we era members?

this shit isnt binary. i can like the ps5 hardware, and dislike their marketing. i can like sony exclusives and disagree with them being ported to PC and becoming non exclusives.

its funny you are doing what you accuse xbox era discord of doing. you are shutting down all discussion for a topic because you dont like it. you hate to see Sony painted in a negative light even by hardcore fucking sony fans who have spent nearly a decade on this forum criticizing MS, getting banned for it and taking on delusional xbox fanboys. you are basically thought policing because you dont like people discussing rumors in a fucking speculation thread where we spent the past 2 years discussing rumors.
Sony's marketing has been severely lacking, agreed, but so is your faith on Sony. You're totally entitled to criticize them, but it's really tiresome for everyone to read your meltdowns at the minor reasons, do you see anyone else do that in this thread? Not even the most biased towards Xbox. One has to wonder why you're still hyped about PS5 if you're constantly saying they're morons and will screw up everything, despite their successful history.

This shit isnt binary. I can like the ps5 hardware, and dislike their marketing.
Are you really sure you like the PS5 hardware? Because yesterday you posted this shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:👇
Wtf is Sony doing? The good thing is that i don't have to buy their weak ass 10 tflops gpu and go with a 3080 to run games at 4k 60 fps on day one.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

I think at least the PS5 design will come out in the next 2 weeks. With all this talk of patents, production going full steam ahead, they won't want to wait for a leak from a 2 megapixel camera and a crooked photo to create a bad first impression.
And this is in the worst case of the PS5 event being postponed until the end of the month-beginning of July, since I think that now the design will be shown at the event.

C'mon baby. Let's get that new event date today. I can FEEL IT.

A relation of mine ignored all that and is now stuck with a Ryzen 3900X running with memory stuck at a clock rate of 2100MHz and no inclination to sort it out.

I am in the process of building a new PC. Got the Asus ROG Strix x570-e Gaming MOBO, 32 gigs of DDR4 3200 RAM, a new Noctua CPU cooler, and waiting for the matisse refresh AMD CPUs to pick a CPU. When my RAM came from Amazon I freaked out because on the front it only said "compatible with i7" or something like that, so I frantically searched the internet and it looks like it should be fine with an x570 board, based on a couple posts I found it sounds like I am gonna need to tweak some things in the BIOS to reach 3200mhz though. I should have researched that before buying the RAM.

Corndog

Banned
The heat output is proportional to the Power consumed - so to answer the question "how hot is it gonna get?" we need to know how much power it is consuming - a specification which Sony have capped in the design. Presumably they've chosen their cooling to be effective at that power cap.

Cooling solutions are cheaper than silicon. To get the same equivalent performance you'd need more powerful hardware not being pushed as far as the PS5 is.

So as a guess add on 0.5% of cost for enhanced cooling vs 10% for improved silicon.
One thing I’ve wondered is how much ambient air temperature effects this. If the ambient temperature is higher you will need more cooling. I would assume they test it at the highest ambient temperature they believe will occur.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A relation of mine ignored all that and is now stuck with a Ryzen 3900X running with memory stuck at a clock rate of 2100MHz and no inclination to sort it out.

After buying only approved pieces, the CPU was overclocking at 4.3GHz randomly! 4.3GHz is the max, and never seen 2700x overclocking to that number on any video before, most of them got to 4.2 max and with expensive cooling solutions. I had to go to the BIOS and lock it to 3.7GHz as I don't need more than that for video editing and such, and the benefits of overclocking are pretty minor.

Always go by what the motherboard provider recommends and you'll be "happier", as Windows always has some surprise sucker punch from time to time but better do the best possible. You can always go for beyond gaming motherboards as well and buy more expensive, more reliable motherboards if you wanna go wild. One of the stupidest things that the second m.2 does draw power from the main GPU PCIe 3.0 lane, resulting in less GPU potential performance! Only found one video by a Swedish guy, I guess, on youtube and provided this map:

149730.png

So again, scrapped the idea of dual NVMe m.2 SSD's on RAID mode.

I gotta say, PC architecture is just simply dumb, and not well covered. This was my first PC build as I used to buy only like HP desktops that are already optimized. Spent more than 100 hours, like more than a month, watching videos on youtube and learning about it.

Now, I'm learning from the guys around here which makes me happy to understand more tech stuff. It makes you appreciate the stuff you buy and the efforts behind them, and to draw limits to your expectations.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Are you really sure you like the PS5 hardware? Because yesterday you posted this shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:👇
again, this shit isnt binary. i like their ssd and i/o enhancements. its hilarious to see you bring up the gpu after you have spent the last few weeks praising the ps5's ssd and i/o yourself.

99% of the people in this thread dismissed the github leaks because we all wanted the console to be 13-14 tflops. no one wanted a 36 cu gpu. so lets not pretend im the only one who is unhappy with a 10 tflops gpu.

If Sony changed something, like say, using faster RAM, they could still do it at this point, right?

I highly doubt it. They have announced the specs already and the various parts would've been being made for months now as we've already heard these multiple different parts have started to come together to be assembled in the the last few weeks. If any spec bump happened, it would've happened last year which would mean the announced specs would include them.

Neo Blaster

again, this shit isnt binary. i like their ssd and i/o enhancements. its hilarious to see you bring up the gpu after you have spent the last few weeks praising the ps5's ssd and i/o yourself.

99% of the people in this thread dismissed the github leaks because we all wanted the console to be 13-14 tflops. no one wanted a 36 cu gpu. so lets not pretend im the only one who is unhappy with a 10 tflops gpu.
Looks like you're the only one still attached to teraflops, everyone else has already moved on.

SlimySnake

Sony's marketing has been severely lacking, agreed, but so is your faith on Sony. You're totally entitled to criticize them, but it's really tiresome for everyone to read your meltdowns at the minor reasons, do you see anyone else do that in this thread? Not even the most biased towards Xbox. One has to wonder why you're still hyped about PS5 if you're constantly saying they're morons and will screw up everything, despite their successful history.
well, my biggest problem with xbox fans is that they dont ever criticize their own brand. phil can never do any wrong. they will defend dumb business decisions no matter what. i still remember threads on gaf where people defended Phil for cancelling the coalition new IP in order to fund another gears game. they were fully onboard when phil said GaaS games is where the future is and that he didnt give a shit about first party games. 3 years later, phil does a 180 and now everyone cares about single player story driven games on xbox again.

its not a meltdown to wonder why sony is following in microsoft's footsteps. if you have got a problem with my logic, please point it out. none of you seem to be interested in a discussion though. you are just upset at me being upset. you are upset that im not a 100% happy with every single move sony makes. you are upset at me ruining the joyful mood in this thread.

i am sorry but i dont come here to make everyone feel good about their platform of choice. thats just mob mentality and why i hated the xbox discord so much. you lose perspective the moment you start policing what other people can or cannot say.

feel free to point out the flaws in my logic. feel free to disagree with my opinion. but dont dismiss it just because it makes you upset. it makes you come across as weak.

BGs

Industry Professional
Wtf is Sony doing?? Era mod is confirming reports that blooodborne is coming to pc.

Sony losing its exclusives to pc is the dumbest thing I've seen since ms took their exclusives to pc. Only dumber because ms owns Windows and has their own store.

Wtf is Sony doing? The good thing is that i don't have to buy their weak ass 10 tflops gpu and go with a 3080 to run games at 4k 60 fps on day one but this is a bad business decision.
Do not sulph friend.

Sony is making a smart bet that benefits her as well as the PC user and also PlayStation. The games you are releasing for PC are the ones that no longer generate profits on PlayStation. It is not an initiative to get all the games on PC, it is only to get more benefits from those old glories that are already behind you for a few years. That generates an extra benefit that helps that dibero to be invested in better future games for PlayStation. It is a good financing alternative. It does not mean that you will see TLOU2 on PC in 6 months (or even a few years).

On the other hand, with a wasted 3080 you can run games at 4k and 60fps, but at what price? and what games?

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Dark and "cold".

One thing I’ve wondered is how much ambient air temperature effects this. If the ambient temperature is higher you will need more cooling. I would assume they test it at the highest ambient temperature they believe will occur.

That’s how it works. It will be louder in an extreme situation, but performance cannot vary by temperature (outside of extreme heating/broken fan/clogged heatsink) that will just simple cause a thermal cutoff and crash.
I doubt they’ll have designed the console to be quiet with an ambient temperature of 35°C for example, but I bet part of their testing ensures it can function there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom