• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

husomc

For some reason that picture reminds me of the Fire song from the crazy world of Arthur Brown.
Oldies like me will remember it. Amazing song
I'm usually into the oldies but i've never heard that one before :messenger_grinning_smiling:. Thanks !

You run it overclocked or something? I locked mine at base 3.7Ghz of the Ryzen 7 2700x. It's idling at around 28-32C and max 55C when rendering.

Not overclocked. It's a 6th Gen i7 at 3.8Ghz. I was doing some blender renders over the week and noticed that the temp was hitting around 97 on load and I had to resort to toothpaste. The thermal compound on the CPU was non existent. literally had turned into dust

again, this shit isnt binary. i like their ssd and i/o enhancements. its hilarious to see you bring up the gpu after you have spent the last few weeks praising the ps5's ssd and i/o yourself.

99% of the people in this thread dismissed the github leaks because we all wanted the console to be 13-14 tflops. no one wanted a 36 cu gpu. so lets not pretend im the only one who is unhappy with a 10 tflops gpu.
Your post makes no sense. But since you wanted to change the subject, here are 2 things:

1. I did not praise the PS5 i/o unit, it was Tim Sweeney via Twiiter ;)

2. My disappoitment with the 10.23tf thing had the same dimension than when my favorite soccer team is wining 4-0 and receives a goal in the last minute. It makes me angry for around 15 minutes. It is just a hobby.

Here is why you should not be worried about TF neither:

PS. Lets move on!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

People are failing to add in the tweets that followed which add in a bit more context.

God help me if the remaster still has frame pacing issues, lol.

I ❤️From Software but their continual issues with that are incomprehensible.

Granted DS3 was fine with an uncapped framerate on PC, so the issue appears to be with their frame limiter, which both platforms should essentially work around with higher framerates.

Neo Blaster

well, my biggest problem with xbox fans is that they dont ever criticize their own brand. phil can never do any wrong. they will defend dumb business decisions no matter what. i still remember threads on gaf where people defended Phil for cancelling the coalition new IP in order to fund another gears game. they were fully onboard when phil said GaaS games is where the future is and that he didnt give a shit about first party games. 3 years later, phil does a 180 and now everyone cares about single player story driven games on xbox again.

its not a meltdown to wonder why sony is following in microsoft's footsteps. if you have got a problem with my logic, please point it out. none of you seem to be interested in a discussion though. you are just upset at me being upset. you are upset that im not a 100% happy with every single move sony makes. you are upset at me ruining the joyful mood in this thread.

i am sorry but i dont come here to make everyone feel good about their platform of choice. thats just mob mentality and why i hated the xbox discord so much. you lose perspective the moment you start policing what other people can or cannot say.

feel free to point out the flaws in my logic. feel free to disagree with my opinion. but dont dismiss it just because it makes you upset. it makes you come across as weak.
Yes, there are people who cannot say a single bad thing about their platform holder of choice, but you seem to be at the extreme opposite, they will screw everything no matter what positive news you hear. The flaw in your logic is to think Sony, who have 25 years of successful history on the gaming market, will suddenly change the way they work radically and repeat what MS did and put all their games on PC day and date. It's like to say first place thinks he'll be more successful by doing what second place did.

SSfox

Xp4nBS0.jpg

Vae_Victis

Banned
People are failing to add in the tweets that followed which add in a bit more context.

PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible, and Bloodborne is definitely among the 100 most player PS4 games... so that would just be ANOTHER huge own-goal for Sony, because they would be admitting that their backward compatibility promises are flimsy and they will still require users to buy games again if they want the full experience on PS5. Not to say, we 95% KNOW from actual proven insiders that From Software is not working on anything related to Bloodborne, so who the hell would even be doing this.

I know people give shit to people like Tidux and Shinobi for being fake insiders that only report on stuff others already said, but at least what they go around writing doesn't sound so fundamentally stupid that half the users of this forum could come up with more believable stuff.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, there are people who cannot say a single bad thing about their platform holder of choice, but you seem to be at the extreme opposite, they will screw everything no matter what positive news you hear. The flaw in your logic is to think Sony, who have 25 years of successful history on the gaming market, will suddenly change the way they work radically and repeat what MS did and put all their games on PC day and date. It's like to say first place thinks he'll be more successful by doing what second place did.
I am not making this up though. My logic is based on actual Sony decisions. This is really happening. Horizon IS getting ported to PC. and several people have reported on a Bloodborne remaster. If it turns out to be false, i will come back, quote myself and admit i was wrong about this. I can promise you that. You can quote me in case i forget and I will apologize for shitting up the thread based on an unconfirmed rumor.

Like i pointed out earlier, Andrew House agreed with me. He knew that hardcore gamers leave the consoles to go to PC mid gen, or late gen. He wanted to avoid that because he didnt want to lose their business to PC. Now when a hardcore gamer sees that Sony is following Microsoft's lead, albeit slowly, will they invest in Sony's platform? Andrew House didnt think so. And neither do I.

PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible, and Bloodborne is definitely among the 100 most player PS4 games... so that would just be ANOTHER huge own-goal for Sony, because they would be admitting that their backward compatibility promises are flimsy and they will still require users to buy games again if they want the full experience on PS5. Not to say, we 95% KNOW from actual proven insiders that From Software is not working on anything related to Bloodborne, so who the hell would even be doing this.

I know people give shit to people like Tidux and Shinobi for being fake insiders that only report on stuff others already said, but at least what they go around writing doesn't sound so fundamentally stupid that half the users of this forum could come up with more believable stuff.

Bloodborne (PS4) working on PS5 is backwards compatibility.

Bloodborne Remastered for PC/PS5 wouldn’t run on PS4, so it’s not a game that is backwards compatible.

Lethal01

Are they going to put a lot of I/O custom silicon like Sony did? You know it's not just the SSD.

No, That's what I'm saying,.
1. Microsoft unveils a new version of their SSD that matches the raw (on paper) speed of the the PS5
2. Xbox fans start raving that Microsoft just Killed PS5 because now their one advantage is gone.
3. People respond my pointing out that the speed is way more due to architecture improvements that just the raw speed.
4. 2 & 3 are repeated over and over, page after page, thread after thread, returning us so the madness once more.
5. A bunch of us no longer care because we now have games.

Tried to decode this for 5 minutes.
My interpretation is that even if I'm right my only reward will be pain.

That or I got baited... or am I baiting? Is cerny baiting? why are we here? just to suffer?

GRIEVEZ

well, my biggest problem with xbox fans is that they dont ever criticize their own brand. phil can never do any wrong. they will defend dumb business decisions no matter what. i still remember threads on gaf where people defended Phil for cancelling the coalition new IP in order to fund another gears game. they were fully onboard when phil said GaaS games is where the future is and that he didnt give a shit about first party games. 3 years later, phil does a 180 and now everyone cares about single player story driven games on xbox again.

its not a meltdown to wonder why sony is following in microsoft's footsteps. if you have got a problem with my logic, please point it out. none of you seem to be interested in a discussion though. you are just upset at me being upset. you are upset that im not a 100% happy with every single move sony makes. you are upset at me ruining the joyful mood in this thread.

i am sorry but i dont come here to make everyone feel good about their platform of choice. thats just mob mentality and why i hated the xbox discord so much. you lose perspective the moment you start policing what other people can or cannot say.

feel free to point out the flaws in my logic. feel free to disagree with my opinion. but dont dismiss it just because it makes you upset. it makes you come across as weak.
The flaw I have in your logic, to me is that you are comparing Sony and Microsoft...

Heres an example... Sony is willing to bite the bullet and eat losses on not only consoles (at least in the past). But the next gen exclusives as well... They are bankrolling games, that won't even have a large Install base yet... (PS4 vs PS5)

Im sure we can all get into a "prosumer" discussion (which is ridiculous imho). But the fact is, it goes against (short term) profits...

Its an investment they deem worthy enough to lose out on realised profit. (Most likely halo effect)

Regarding their marketing... I dont know... I liked Cernys GDC talk and I think non developers who liked it, are probably outliers (300k likes vs 100k dislikes) - but I think it was a mis step on Sony's part, they should've done a basic level consumer PS5 reveal first...

But its hard to convince, consumers your product is good. When you are measuring with different metrics than they are used to (TFlops vs SSD I/O) - unless they simply showed games... But they probably weren't ready for that yet...

Anyways im a new member here, but ive been skulking this forum for a "few" months and find it hard to tell.. if you like Sony or not lol.. MB you are neutral? Which is fine, but you are kind of all over the place (please dont take offence in this) :messenger_heart:

Last edited:
Sorry missed this post today...

That is an impressive fan count! No doubt for PC there are some very quiet fans available but we're talking consoles here. I don't think any consoles have ever had more than 2 fans in a retail unit? I'm guessing PS5 will be no different. I look forward to what is different about the whole cooling solution, though.

The cooling patent covers anywhere from 2 to 6 axial cooling fans creating an airflow evenly across the surface of the heat sink. The idea being they can control more accurately where air is flowing, with all of the heatsink getting equal air, and smaller axial fans allow a smaller console package than one large one that would end up defining the form-factor of the console as with the XSX.

I’d expect PS5 to be leveraging this patent. I think the dev-kit was made to meet the wording of the patent without giving away the final design that uses it. There’s a lot of flexibility in the patent, even down to the direction of airflow and how sharp the angle of the V is.
It even mentions it can work horizontally or vertically, while the dev-kit design doesn’t look like it could.

My hunch is that the dev-kit is a caricature of what the PS5 will look like, and looks as it does just to get the patent filed.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Bloodborne (PS4) working on PS5 is backwards compatibility.

Bloodborne Remastered for PC/PS5 wouldn’t run on PS4, so it’s not a game that is backwards compatible.
Yeah, but WHY? That would send a terrible message, as far as Sony is concerned.

"So I hope everybody here is excited about our new console, and all the amazing things that only PS5 will make possible!

... oh, BTW, some of our old PS4 exclusives are coming out on PC two months from now. Yeah, pretty cool stuff, uh.

But really, exclusives are our greatest strength!

... oh, BBTW, I know you guys are really excited about backwards compatibility, playing your PS4 games in boost mode on PS5 and all that. But you know, there are a few that we just can't make run, so I guess you'll have to buy them again. Yup."

Why in the universe would Sony come up and talk about this shit during their PS5 deep-dive event?!

Swadedtx

Banned
I understand the logic behind "more players will play the game" but guys you're forgetting an important point which is, IF Sony wanted to release their exclusives on PC day & date or at least a year later then what's the point of having a blazing fast SSD and I/O throughput??

That's why we had alot of discussions on this thread and alot of you was throwing shade at MS for the exact same reason "Xbox will not be fully utilized because it's gonna be held back by Xbox One & PC"

We have been hearing alot from devs and lately from Tim Sweeney that the IO/throughput and the SSD of the ps5 are above and beyond anything available right now on any platform. So IF Sony are planning to release their exclusives on PC day & date or 1 or even 2 years later, how are we gonna see the advantage of the I/O compared to other platforms??

1st party exclusives are must to take full advantage of the new hardware and full utilize it. If you were throwing shade at MS before for the same exact reason plz do not be a hypocrite when it comes to Sony. "More players" doesn't mean better for all.

Side note: my point is, IF Sony wanted to release their ps5 exclusives on PC otherwise consider yourself that you never saw my post 😁

It seems pretty clear Sony is giving them HZD so that PC players see it and say I gotta get a PS5 to play 2 or I might have to wait 5 years to play HZ2.

Yeah, but WHY? That would send a terrible message, as far as Sony is concerned.

"So I hope everybody here is excited about our new console, and all the amazing things that only PS5 will make possible!

... oh, BTW, some of our old PS4 exclusives are coming out on PC two months from now. Yeah, pretty cool stuff, uh.

But really, exclusives are our greatest strength!

... oh, BBTW, I know you guys are really excited about backwards compatibility, playing your PS4 games in boost mode on PS5 and all that. But you know, there are a few that we just can't make run, so I guess you'll have to buy them again. Yup."

Why in the universe would Sony come up and talk about this shit during their PS5 deep-dive event?!

If Bloodborne (PS4) doesn’t run on PS5 nor leverage its Boost Mode to smooth out the frame-rate, then you’ve got a point.

If a remaster has all reworked models, new lighting, new textures etc and even some adjusted gameplay elements then I don’t think anyone reasonable would expect it for free.

I also don’t feel as if I’m in some kind of weird religious/romantic relationship with Sony where they need to meet certain obligations, or they can somehow betray or disillusion me or whatever. That is by far the silliest and saddest thing I’ve seen since it was announced Horizon would come to PC.
They’re just a business. One of their studios putting effort into a remaster of a game people like to take advantage of PC/PS5 is fine by me. They should get paid for it.

If the original works on PS5 in Boost mode with better stable frame-rate, excellent! It’s not a developer decision anyway, only a compatibility one. If it’s not compatible at Boost clocks and they don’t want to rebuild the original, then you can blame the developer.

jose4gg

It seems pretty clear Sony is giving them HZD so that PC players see it and say I gotta get a PS5 to play 2 or I might have to wait 5 years to play HZ2.

If the strategy works one single time I'm not expecting Sony to release HZD2 in PC, maybe another game in 8 years, something far, very far away... Once they establish what you miss as a gamer when you don't play Sony Exclusives, I do not think they want to continue the MS approach.

They are trying to sell PC + PS5 combo, for the next-gen and future generations.

zaitsu

Banned
If the strategy works one single time I'm not expecting Sony to release HZD2 in PC, maybe another game in 8 years, something far, very far away... Once they establish what you miss as a gamer when you don't play Sony Exclusives, I do not think they want to continue the MS approach.

They are trying to sell PC + PS5 combo, for the next-gen and future generations.
When i saw the HZD rumor first time my first thoughts were that we are gettin HZD2 on PS5 launch

Your post makes no sense. But since you wanted to change the subject, here are 2 things:

1. I did not praise the PS5 i/o unit, it was Tim Sweeney via Twiiter ;)

2. My disappoitment with the 10.23tf thing had the same dimension than when my favorite soccer team is wining 4-0 and receives a goal in the last minute. It makes me angry for around 15 minutes. It is just a hobby.

Here is why you should not be worried about TF neither:

PS. Lets move on!

Damn those extra time goals. Hate that shit. We have a cleansheet!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not sure I'm reading that right, but doesn't it mean that without having to dupe assets, the storage cost of the assets will be ~10% of what it is now?
If that's the case, I suspect that final bulk of the storage will be other game files and that shouldn't really change a great deal next gen?

EDIT: To clarify my thoughts.

Say if the actual game size (without visual assets) was the same next gen as this one, you could fit ten times as much visual information (objects) and it would still come in at about the same install as this gen.

Or am I reading it wrong?

EZp-FBLWsAEOaj3

First the game is 45.8GB without duplicates, then there is the 10% better compression of the Kraken of total game then it's 41.2GB. Now it has no LOD's, speaking of 5 levels of LOD's, it might be sitting around ~30GB. Now if we go by the 8K textures pack of Skyrim, then it should be around 35GB max with compressed 8K textures.

If 100GB disks aren't reasonable, Sony will ditch them, even though it's one of the inventors of the tech.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The flaw I have in your logic, to me is that you are comparing Sony and Microsoft...

Heres an example... Sony is willing to bite the bullet and eat losses on not only consoles (at least in the past). But the next gen exclusives as well... They are bankrolling games, that won't even have a large Install base yet... (PS4 vs PS5)

Im sure we can all get into a "prosumer" discussion (which is ridiculous imho). But the fact is, it goes against (short term) profits...

Its an investment they deem worthy enough to lose out on realised profit. (Most likely halo effect)

Regarding their marketing... I dont know... I liked Cernys GDC talk and I think non developers who liked it, are probably outliers (300k likes vs 100k dislikes) - but I think it was a mis step on Sony's part, they should've done a basic level consumer PS5 reveal first...

But its hard to convince, consumers your product is good. When you are measuring with different metrics than they are used to (TFlops vs SSD I/O) - unless they simply showed games... But they probably weren't ready for that yet...

Anyways im a new member here, but ive been skulking this forum for a "few" months and find it hard to tell.. if you like Sony or not lol.. MB you are neutral? Which is fine, but you are kind of all over the place (please dont take offence in this) :messenger_heart:
no offense taken. you do bring up a good point about sony investing in exclusives for next gen clearly taking a loss in order to push their console. so this sudden shift in publishing exclusives feels almost schizophrenic in a way. whats their end game exactly. its a confusing message they are sending their fans. Detroit Become Human, Horizon, Death Stranding and now Bloodborne. It's hard not to think that eventually ps5 exclusives might come to PC as well.

as for me being neutral. i wish i could claim that level of moral superiority. i love sony though mostly for their exclusives. i cant stand nintendo with their insistence on being one, actually now two gens behind. i couldnt stand microsoft for their ridiculous always online stance and for shoving kinect down my throat. though i have begun to come around, and i am genuinely looking forward to their exclusive lineup next gen. phil did everything i was asking the entire gen, it just took him 5 years to invest in first party studios. i believe competition makes every company better. well. every company except for nintendo which thrives when it literally gives up competing with its competitors.

the reason why i might come off as a bit schizo is because sony fucks up a lot. they shut down three of my favorite studios last gen. Zipper is gone. Evolution Studios is gone. Incognito is gone. i have had to replace my dual shock 4 3 times and they would only cover returns once under the manufacturer warranty. i am sitting here playing ff7 in 1080p mode because the 4k mode makes my ps4 pro scream and moan like a cheap whore. imagine paying $400 on a pro and a thousand dollars on a 4k tv and running games on 1080p. my $600 launch ps3 got ylod after just two years and they refused to fix it for less than $150. its hard not to be schizo with some of the shit ive been through with sony.

but then i cant stay mad at them because they made the sexiest gadget of all time in vita. its what you would call an abusive relationship. lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I understand the logic behind "more players will play the game" but guys you're forgetting an important point which is, IF Sony wanted to release their exclusives on PC day & date or at least a year later then what's the point of having a blazing fast SSD and I/O throughput??

That's why we had alot of discussions on this thread and alot of you was throwing shade at MS for the exact same reason "Xbox will not be fully utilized because it's gonna be held back by Xbox One & PC"

We have been hearing alot from devs and lately from Tim Sweeney that the IO/throughput and the SSD of the ps5 are above and beyond anything available right now on any platform. So IF Sony are planning to release their exclusives on PC day & date or 1 or even 2 years later, how are we gonna see the advantage of the I/O compared to other platforms??

1st party exclusives are must to take full advantage of the new hardware and full utilize it. If you were throwing shade at MS before for the same exact reason plz do not be a hypocrite when it comes to Sony. "More players" doesn't mean better for all.

Side note: my point is, IF Sony wanted to release their ps5 exclusives on PC otherwise consider yourself that you never saw my post 😁

I'm totally with you there. But if they are planning for HZD1 on PC, I'm more than sure HZD2 on PS5 will make it look pathetic in comparison.

Many games of this current gen will be dusted, so breathing some life in them on the PC market won't hurt. Do the same to PS5 games when we go to PS6 for example.

Anyway, I doubt anything beyond HZD1 would be released on PC, and Sony can't pull that back now as it's not easy to break a contract with the likes of Steam.

Last edited:

Msamy

So there's my MS Sony game mess
November 2020 :
15 - the bs event which contains exclusive indie developer's 2D next gen games which show ps5 capacity
20 - the bs event 2,0 Which represent first hand's on demo's for those 2d games
25 - ps5 release day event with very big surprise that it will actually lunch with 2 2d games 😳
December
10 - Sony fun day event : a live show of full party in sony head office to celebrate that all world problems solved because of Sony decisions
20 - Jim Ryan secret event , which show top secret game developed by all of 15 Sony studio's , my sources told me that game is a comic's style game which take full advantage of ps5 hardware & controller , by the way that game intial name is Jim Ryan big a!!
My sources at Sony marketing team told me much more informations but I will tell you guys more information in next couple months 😉

SlimySnake

November 2020 :
15 - the bs event which contains exclusive indie developer's 2D next gen games which show ps5 capacity
25 - ps5 release day event with very big surprise that it will actually lunch with 2 2d games 😳
December
10 - Sony fun day event : a live show of full party in sony head office to celebrate that all world problems solved because of Sony decisions
20 - Jim Ryan secret event , which show top secret game developed by all of 15 Sony studio's , my sources told me that game is a comic's style game which take full advantage of ps5 hardware & controller , by the way that game intial name is Jim Ryan big a!!
My sources at Sony marketing team told me much more informations but I will tell you guys more information in next couple months 😉
See gaf, This is what happens when men are pushed too far. Sony has broken our will.

So much secrecy. So many delays. So much uncertainty. It's broken us.

November 2020 :
December

Voidout

Do not sulph friend.

Sony is making a smart bet that benefits her as well as the PC user and also PlayStation. The games you are releasing for PC are the ones that no longer generate profits on PlayStation. It is not an initiative to get all the games on PC, it is only to get more benefits from those old glories that are already behind you for a few years. That generates an extra benefit that helps that dibero to be invested in better future games for PlayStation. It is a good financing alternative. It does not mean that you will see TLOU2 on PC in 6 months (or even a few years).

On the other hand, with a wasted 3080 you can run games at 4k and 60fps, but at what price? and what games?

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Dark and "cold".
Thanks for some industry perspective. Just hope sony doesn't leave the ps5 out to dry and supports it thoroughly with exclusives.

November 2020 :
December
This is a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom