• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

PS5 ssd has a raw speed that is 129% faster than the XSX ssd (2.4 vs. 5.5 ). It can reach peak numbers that are 226% higher than XSX ( 6 vs. 22 ). My wife works in a bank and she is economist. :D That's why i've asked her about percentages

The real world time to complete a task on ps5 will be much more than the theoretical speed difference of the SSD in each console which can be clearly seen in every demonsration of loading or doing something Fast so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Since Sony had to postpone the PS5 event will we know have the Xbox event also later, or will they know basically fall in the same week. Would be a great week actually.

J_Gamer.exe

PS5 Concept inspired by DualSense and Devkit designs.

HWMnRuO.png

6o3VR3T.png

mNk9qGY.png

fytSNf0.png

PTHDJgv.png

C1eRnrh.png

Not feeling that one, I think there have been far better.

Would look better like this bit in those white colours.

ps5-devkit-render.jpg

Or more like this...

frd8FnHRG5JCYpT8MjL6y7-1200-80.jpg

Or this one is great and has just looks like it'll be super fast...

ps5_dv5.png

Thirty7ven

Banned
I did not. There's so much FUD flying around in this thread that it is impossible to keep up

It’s not just this thread. It’s the entire forum at this point, from other hardware threads to metathreads where all fanboys do is badmouth other fanboys.

I’ve tapped out. I see the same people spreading the same misinformation everyday like they aren’t wrapped so tight in the head.

And then the metadrama. Big YIKES

It’s a shitshow. A carrossel of shit.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If this BloodBorne remaster rumor is true and Sony actually charge existing users for it, then I'm going to give them a lot of shit. And it has nothing to do with so that, 'Studio who put the work in get paid'. Well, that's Sonys' prerogative, pay them a huge stack of cash or cut them a certain %. It's their headache. MS have a dedicated BC team whose sole purpose is to enhance the existing games for future consoles, I'm sure they are being paid well.

There are folks who paid full price for this game, some picked it up for cheap, and held onto it in hope Sony would bother with a Pro patch. Which never arrived, now once they are actually putting the effort in, which is only accessible via gateway hardware i.e. (PS5, you'd still need to buy it) and then ask existing users to pay for it? What a huge slap in the face. Ideally, they'd just put out a new SKU for fresh users who are jumping into the eco-system and offer the upgrade free of cost for existing users (cause they'd still have to buy your PS5 to play in first instance). But, current strategy seems to be of, charge existing users for upgrade, charge new users the same, and oh, if there are people who don't want to pick up the hardware, well we're putting out a PC SKU as well. It just reeks of maximizing profits, and while from business standpoint it makes a lot of sense, in the end they're shafting the long term users, which is what @SlimySnake alluded to in his posts.

I really hope they don't hang us existing users out to dry by charging for remasters, it's a tired philosophy and I gave them a pass for it due to BC issues from PS3 -> PS4. But, for next-gen there is zero excuses to do so, especially when their biggest competitor is going all-out when it comes to Enhanced BC.

I don't get this talk. PS5 will also have bc with boost enhancements so if you choose to not buy a Bloodborne remastered thts fine you can still play a bc version of Bloodborne. You act like remastered versions of games don't exist on Xbox one due to their bc, tht just isnt true. All games weren't even bc on Xbox one to begin with.

I dont agree, depending on the level of remaster or remaining thy do depends on whether I rebuy it. If it's just a resolution bump with stable fps I doubt thts what would be sold, boost mode will be there for that more than likely.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I would actually say the split is more like 80%-20%. Sony are pretty full of shit too, but on certain things, they learned their lesson with the PS3 for sure.

Tht split is still super lopsided lol and tht 20% your giving must be from like Killzone 2 days and even then tht game was a graphical benchmark (tht was the 1% I was referring to). Most of ps3, all of Ps4 Sony has been up front and transparent. I definitely cannot say the same for Micro from Kinect, to Crackdown 3, to cloud, to rrod, to omg my list can keep going...

But let me not derail the thread.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Tht split is still super lopsided lol and tht 20% your giving must be from like Killzone 2 days and even then tht game was a graphical benchmark😂😂. Most of ps3, all of Ps4 Sony has been up front and transparent. I definitely cannot say the same for Micro from Kinect, to Crackdown 3, to cloud, to rrod, to omg my list can keep going...

But let me not derail the thread.

Yeah funny how fast people forgot about the cross-play shit show.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah funny how fast people forgot about the cross-play shit show.

Cross play what? We are talking about lying and hot air. We knew exactly why thy didn't want to do cross platform on all platforms something BTW thy were pushing before Microsoft with pc. I wouldn't have done it either business wise. Shit alot of ppl are now actually complaining about cross play.

So nah let's try again. Ms we can't remove Kinect because of the os then remove it when thy get their asses handed to them or "we won't give up tht power advantage to ps4" 🤭

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don’t even care if MS or Sony bullshits. They both do, and one of them certainly goes the extra mile, but it’s the fan community.

PC fans, Nintendo fans, PlayStation fans... these communities all have a percentage of looneys. But the Xbox community? It’s disproportionately crazy.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I don’t even care if MS or Sony bullshits. They both do, and one of them certainly goes the extra mile, but it’s the fan community.

PC fans, Nintendo fans, PlayStation fans... these communities all have a percentage of looneys. But the Xbox community? It’s disproportionately crazy.

Very true and my point was on the disproportionate factor I was being hyperbolic.

I agree with the looneys and propaganda machine. The things we see on here are amazing.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Funny how quickly people forgot which company supported cross-play with PC the most for many years and which flip-flopped with the help of media propaganda for maximum impact. The shit-show is there alright, you just refuse to see the extent of it.

if I were them I wouldn't want to offer crossplay for mp games either just to populate mp games for a competitor whose games sometimes weren't selling well.

That was my last take on tht we are derailing.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cross play what? We are talking about lying and hot air. We knew exactly why thy didn't want to do cross platform on all platforms something BTW thy were pushing before Microsoft with pc. I wouldn't have done it either business wise. Shit alot of ppl are now actually complaining about cross play.

So nah let's try again. MR we can't remove Kinect because of the os then remove it when thy get their asses handed to them or "we won't give up tht power advantage to ps4" 🤭

Don’t lose your breath dude and get attached to a brand. A multibillion corporation don’t give a shit if you die tomorrow. Microsoft or Sony.

FranXico

Not at all. I followed every word of it and they never said they couldn't do it thy just chose not to at the time. There is a bigggggg difference. It was a business choice I fully understood.

But yeah "I didn't understand the extent of it" alright 👌 if I were them I wouldn't want to offer bc for mp games either just to populate mp games for a competitor whose games sometimes weren't selling well. Maybe it was you tht didn't understand the reasoning.

That was my last take on tht we are derailing.
Dude, I was replying to the other poster. Did you get my point or not?

J_Gamer.exe

So the fast loading demo will come soon then and the existing fast loading demo and the fast resume demos on XSX dont count ?

OK. thaks for the info, good to know there will be a 1 second loading demo soon.

Also 1 last question, was the fast resume demo using the VELOCITY ARCHITECTURE as well :messenger_beaming: (or are you saying the new gfats resume on XSX is not optimised yet.....lol)

I've been thinking about this loading and as stated before I think xbox is further behind than the ssd speed alone, due to superior ps5 IO hardware to transfer that speed to useable speed better.

However, I wonder if Microsoft were happy to put that demo out, of loading in particular, because they know that without a code change on ps5 it's not ahead AS MUCH as it is when io is fully taken advantage of.

Even if its a minor code change to say where the data they want is, once done I believe the ps5 is at full speed ahead. Maybe a lot of devs will add this small change to take full advantage.

However without that small change is it possible on last gen games it's not as good as on next gen games, so Microsoft is happy for this to go out as it would show the gap being closer, without tapping into PS5 further advantages which are likely better than velocity architecture.

What if Microsoft knew Sony probably won't want to counter with a direct comparison, they will want to show what they promised for next gen games load in a second instead. An area where Microsoft wont be able to match them?

Maybe this explains why we haven't seen a like for like speed test comparison?

A like for like last gen comparison may make then seem closer than they actually are and thats an unattractive comparison for sony? They would surely be ahead still but not as much as they are in real next gen games or ones with a code tweak.

So maybe we will get that sort of load demo instead, like spiderman leaked, wheres as xbox might be less willing to show that as with code changes theirs lets say it dropped from 10 to 5 seconds. Sonys went from 5? to less than 1 second for eg. So a much bigger reduction.

Just thinking out loud here BTW and may be wrong.

Maybe the quick resume uses the Velocity architecture or maybe it's just less of a load or both. Either way though it's not the same time each time, the smaller games take less time, so it suggests it's not loading the full ram...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don’t lose your breath dude and get attached to a brand. A multibillion corporation don’t give a shit if you die tomorrow. Microsoft or Sony.

Is this a case of good ol’ “fling stuff at the wall” -> “does not stick / gets struck down” -> “oy, it was just banter mate, banter... chill chill” routine? You made a point, someone took the time to reply, and your comment now is that you were just essentially trolling?

Reposting:
Funny how quickly people forgot which company supported cross-play with PC the most for many years and which flip-flopped with the help of media propaganda for maximum impact. The shit-show is there alright, you just refuse to see the extent of it.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Guess what, they say exactly the same about the PS community. Who would've thought that? Whenever you have a preference the other side always looks crazy

About the SSD discussion.

geordiemp geordiemp already puts a very good point. The time that XSX needed to load a 1.5gb game which was not instantaneous, so its possible to have a real I/O speed lower than 1gb/s.

We do not have so much info about the SSD of XSX like we have about the PS5, so is very difficult to conclude anything. My bets is still on a very signaficant gap between the consoles. We don't know if the XSX is capable of instant streaming data, remove the use of duplicated assets...

Excuse me Sir but that asset duplication goes for both MS and Sony. This has to do with the SSD Tech itself. It is NOT something that Sony invented/introduced.

As long as you are using SSD instead of an HDD you won't need this duplicated data...

As some here already pointed out I don't believe pure Ray tracing is going to be used much in this generation. This might be something that will be used more often/more heavily with mid gen refreshes though.

Overall I am quite satisfied with both consoles (lets hope lockhart will be something that will not be holding back the industry). Competition is healty and good for the consumer.
I've stated it several times but I am biased towards sony. However I don't actually care even if MS had the better console. Simply because I love Sonys first party games and as far as I knoe I will be able to play XSX exclusives on PC sooner than later. So theres simply no reason for _me_ to buy a xsx.

That doesn't mean that XSX is useless or anything like that though.

Last edited:
Guess what, they say exactly the same about the PS community. Who would've thought that? Whenever you have a preference the other side always looks crazy
There's crazy people spreading bullshit in every community, that's true, but I would say that none other than the Xbox executives get mixed with those kind of people, which, in my view, gives them a platform and a power unlike any other bullshit spreader in any other community.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Sorry but one community is over twice the size, but the other is twice as vocal.

The amount of fud and misinformation around the PS5 is proof of it. If it were as you say, the we would see a tidal wave of fud and misinformation at twice the scale against the XSX. Yet that doesn’t happen.

But let me stress that yes, there are looneys everywhere and it gets really tiresome, because they just goround and round with the same bullshit.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I've been thinking about this loading and as stated before I think xbox is further behind than the ssd speed alone, due to superior ps5 IO hardware to transfer that speed to useable speed better.

However, I wonder if Microsoft were happy to put that demo out, of loading in particular, because they know that without a code change on ps5 it's not ahead AS MUCH as it is when io is fully taken advantage of.

Even if its a minor code change to say where the data they want is, once done I believe the ps5 is at full speed ahead. Maybe a lot of devs will add this small change to take full advantage.

However without that small change is it possible on last gen games it's not as good as on next gen games, so Microsoft is happy for this to go out as it would show the gap being closer, without tapping into PS5 further advantages which are likely better than velocity architecture.

What if Microsoft knew Sony probably won't want to counter with a direct comparison, they will want to show what they promised for next gen games load in a second instead. An area where Microsoft wont be able to match them?

Maybe this explains why we haven't seen a like for like speed test comparison?

A like for like last gen comparison may make then seem closer than they actually are and thats an unattractive comparison for sony? They would surely be ahead still but not as much as they are in real next gen games or ones with a code tweak.

So maybe we will get that sort of load demo instead, like spiderman leaked, wheres as xbox might be less willing to show that as with code changes theirs lets say it dropped from 10 to 5 seconds. Sonys went from 5? to less than 1 second for eg. So a much bigger reduction.

Just thinking out loud here BTW and may be wrong.

Maybe the quick resume uses the Velocity architecture or maybe it's just less of a load or both. Either way though it's not the same time each time, the smaller games take less time, so it suggests it's not loading the full ram...

Ah trying to get in the mind of MS strategy is as bad as fanboys concerend about ps5 overheating and sustained narrative, its not cricket but I have had similar thoughts to why MS marketing showed what they did (It was their choice and selection from hundreds of games, they could of done anything)

All we can comment on is what has been shown, and the fast loading shown so far clearly suggests ps5 SSD is CURRENTLY miles ahead, as confirmed by Sweeny and Matt at Era.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom