• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to Double Fine I really like their earlier work alot better than what they have done recently. I really wish they would go back to making classic point and click adventure games.

However Brutal Legends was pretty nice. I'm not really a fan of Psychonauts though.
Psychonauts doesn't really interest me either. But some of their more recent stuff has been good if somewhat small in scope due to their position as and independent developer at the time.

B_Boss

That's actually not surprising. Makes sense, why epic refused to release the demo specs and minimum requirement the entire month after it's show. I knew this demo was Very achievable on comparable hardware.

I don’t really recall anyone denying that it was achievable on multiple platforms but of course the debate was “what was the best or most technically appropriate hardware to demo the game on”? Many lost their emotional minds over that one lol. Tim Sweeney was slaying left and right those who were in error in their thinking and regardless of the platform, it was glorious to see sound and critically technical thinking rule the day.

Last edited:

Dolomite

I don’t really recall anyone denying that it was achievable on multiple platforms but of course the debate was “what was the best or most technically appropriate hardware to demo the game on”? Many lost their emotional minds over that one lol. Tim Sweeney was slaying left and right those who were in error in their thinking and regardless of the platform, it was glorious to see sound and critically technical thinking rule the day.
Agreed. It's easy to loose your cool when armchair devs who have never heard of an SSD before last yr, partially regurgitate 'lessons by Cerny' to prop up a multiplat engine as if it's full potential is only possible on one platform. It's nuts. If we were watching a PS5 Décima Engine tech Demo, I would have STFU and simply been impressed. The fanboys literally ruined what the demo showed is possible. I went from "damn that looks amazing can't wait for devs to catch up to this level" to "OMFG are we still debating this multiplat ass engine🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

Lockheart apparently has 20 CUs, is that good or bad?

Well is irrelevant for most of the people, the only thing you can get from this is say the clock is around 1.6 Ghz if is a 4TF rumor is true,
but I thought will be less of 20 Cus in order to save costs.

Agreed. It's easy to loose your cool when armchair devs who have never heard of an SSD before last yr, partially regurgitate 'lessons by Cerny' to prop up a multiplat engine as if it's full potential is only possible on one platform.

giphy.gif

That demo doesn't have as goal show what UE 5 can do in a GPU with X quantity of TF if this was the reason the demo would have been shown in a RTX 2080 TI ,
I know for you is very hard to understand but in order to optimize your GPU performance for your workload is more than just thrown everything to your SMs
and expect are used to close the 100%.

Psychonauts doesn't really interest me either. But some of their more recent stuff has been good if somewhat small in scope due to their position as and independent developer at the time.
I know its games are good but its stetics well doesn't attract me but if they continue doing AA games should be a good addition for services like gamepass you know
games will moderate cost and time of dev but with a good level of quality and recognition in the industry.

Corndog

Banned
I am assuming(speculating) that if it is real then as much of the system design will be shared with XsX as they can get.

Same CPU as XsX, the same 1825Mhz GPU clock, so ROPS & Compute will be higher than X1X, and still have 4.6TF RDNA2. The same 10 memory lanes/controllers, so 10GB (2.5GB OS, 7.5GB games ) unified at 560GB/s, so significantly faster memory than the X1X. Then the same features like Bcpack and the velocity Architecture, and a hybrid SSD using 100GB of ssd cache and 1TB mechanical hdd, along with support for XsX external SSD cards, so significantly faster IO, storage and acceleration features than the X1X.
I highly doubt they are going to use a 320 bit bus for Lockhart. Huge waste of money.

I highly doubt they are going to use a 320 bit bus for Lockhart. Huge waste of money.
I'd expect a 4 TF console (maybe 40 CUs like the Xbox One X?)
With a 3.6 to 3.8 Ghz CPU
10 GB GDDR6 RAM @ 336 GB/s with a 256-bit bus
500 GB SSD @2,4 GB/s or 1 TB SSD @1.2 GB/s
Decompressor and audio chip
No disc drive

That may be enough to sell it at a $299 price point and honestly sounds good. But we'll see how the console ends up being like

No disc drive

That may be enough to sell it at a $299 price point and honestly sounds good. But we'll see how the console ends up being like
You don't so many CU for reach that raw power is just waste money if you can do it in a easy way with less CU, higher clocks so
your cache and ROPs speed are good enough.

I am interested more in the bandwidth of SSD,RAM and the CPU clock.

Used-ID

The way the x series s is rumored to be specc'ed makes me think it's a replacement for the x box 1 and 1x. Like a xbox 1x mark2. Basically a cheap box to run current gen games (priced like a xbox 1), but with current hardware to allow it to muddle through next gen games.

Almost like they're trying to do a console refresh of current gen, while labeling it as next-gen

One box of true next gen capabilities (Series X)
One box that's a hardware refresh of the current 1x masquerading as a next-gen box (Lockhart)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The way the x series s is rumored to be specc'ed makes me think it's a replacement for the x box 1 and 1x. Like a xbox 1x mark2. Basically a cheap box to run current gen games (priced like a xbox 1), but with current hardware to allow it to muddle through next gen games.

Almost like they're trying to do a console refresh of current gen, while labeling it as next-gen

One box of true next gen capabilities (Series X)
One box that's a hardware refresh of the current 1x masquerading as a next-gen box (Lockhart)
The only difference with the XSX would be the GPU, is that what makes a console next -gen? The TF's?

Dolomite

giphy.gif

That demo doesn't have as goal show what UE 5 can do in a GPU with X quantity of TF if this was the reason the demo would have been shown in a RTX 2080 TI ,
I know for you is very hard to understand but in order to optimize your GPU performance for your workload is more than just thrown everything to your SMs
and expect are used to close the 100%
???? My quoted response was directed.... toward the person I quoted. Also what? Nothing you mentioned has, quite literally anything to do with the sentiment of my response. At all

ToadMan

Microsoft Studios (14 + 1 publishing division)

BRONZE TIER (the "i´m not getting an XSX to play these specifically")

inxile (Wasteland, PC focused, no one buys an XSX to play Wastland 3)
World Edge (Age of Empire, PC focused, no one buys an XSX to play AoE4)
Compulsion Games (sucks, first game was bad, unfinished, broken mess)
Undead Labs (state of decay 3, 4, 5 ... )
double fine (point&click, pyschonauts)

SILVER TIER (the "known, working system, don´t touch it, milk it")
Rare (from King to Kinect to creating new skins, weapons for Sea of Thieves)
Mojang (perpetually doomed to update minecraft)
Obsidian (i prefer FO3 over New Vegas, their games are full of bugs)

FAKE GOLD - TIER (the "loosing value over time, needs a new paint")
343i (perpetually doomed to make Halos)
Turn10 (perpetually doomed to make Forzas)
The Coalition (had to stop their secret new project to work on Gears4, 5 ...)

GOLD - TIER (the "new king")
Ninja Theory ("ok" gameplay, great everything)
PlayGround (should the RPG "fail", Horizon 5 will safe them)

CONGLOMERATION OF FORMER SONY WORKER - TIER
The Initiative (has not released anything, since 2018 working ... game out in 2022?)

Ctrl-F “Flight Sim”
Ctrl-F “Fable”
Ctrl-F “Perfect Dark”

Not to mention people talking about Elden ring - I’m beginning to think that’s an Xbox exclusive.

They have been rumoured to have bought about another 5 studios at least - maybe it’s bloober, maybe it’s Konami, maybe it’s Sega, maybe it’s all of them lol.

<make_it_rain.gif>

You gotta admit, according to what is being teased we should be looking at a reveal so full of content it’ll crash the internet.

Just get all your banking stuff done before the MS show because sites will be down for days.

Get HYPEEEEEEE!

ToadMan

Yep, but I belive would have a big impact if they announced a $400 console, and the focus would be take the MS media for a time.

Microsoft is falling in their own game, they were the first to announce a NextGen console, the first to announce hardware specs. And now Sony is showing things that they are confident about (games), and MS postpone events or Lockhart reveal. And that is what matters and made your friends only consider PlayStation.

Let's see and wait, I want to see the game made by Obsidian, how the next Forza stands against Gran Turismo 7 and if they will show a Perfect Dark game or Fable.

Yeah $400 from Sony would be huge - $400 for DE and $449 for disc version would be a major hit.

But I don’t think Sony will get that low based on comments from Jim Ryan - “it won’t be cheap, but it will be good value” or words to that effect.

Mix it in with inflation and a reasonable price is the $500-600 range I think.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
In all the generations of consoles, has there been one in the past which had no improvement in the GPU compared with the previous gen? Genuine question, I don't believe so, but I'm not sure.
But there is an improvement. 4.7TF RDNA2 GPU is more powerful than a 6TF GCN GPU.

FranXico

PaintTinJr

How would the GPU scale easily by logic/workload type - rather than resolution/frame-rate - if they knee cap it with significantly lower bandwidth, proportionally after you factor in CPU/GPU contention ?

Surely the cost of the 10 channels is amortised from the XsX design, along with the VA IO system, no? It might possible to provide a re-binning option for defective XsX boards that fail QA, because a lower thermals from a 20 CU APU on the same motherboard is likely to have a wider QA tolerance.

Without the full 560GB/s Lockhart's reduce RAM become a harder sell to developers and makes lockhart a tougher sales pitch against the X1X IMHO.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Impressed by the Pro's performance, details seem much sharper and the game itself is stunning graphically. Curious to see what the PS5 will be able to do with this game...

Well been saying PS4 Pro is a much better deal than PS4/Slim since 2016 to friends but you know some didn't have 4K's by then at least but now it's extremely widespread here more than 1080p due to Chinese, cheap models and they're miles better than any premium 1080p tv's.

It's a waste of time to even talk about graphics with people still using 1080p tv's/monitors, even 1440p monitors in that matter although these tend to be tiny and more forgiving with less resolution.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's easy, UE5 is running on the best platform. Some armchair devs here don't wanna accept that, and it's fine, Tim Sweeney will keep schooling them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

HawarMiran

Banned
I would take Uncharted any day, one of the best IP's in the gaming industry. Give me more! Just don't axe Nathan Drake and Sullivan. The humor you get from both is worth 30% of the game at least.
I don't think we will play as Nathan Drake. He settled down. And I think his nagging wife would divorce him if he did. I can only see him being the protagonist if let's say his daughter gets kidnapped or vanishes on some treasure hunt and he has to look for her.

No disc drive

40 CU is a waste od die space and will not reduce the price of the console. They can just make 20 CU and 1.6 ghz. I also believe they will go with 192 bit bus memory to reduce cost while keeping the 1 TB SSD.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think we will play as Nathan Drake. He settled down. And I think his nagging wife would divorce him if he did. I can only see him being the protagonist if let's say his daughter gets kidnapped or vanishes on some treasure hunt and he has to look for her.

Yeah I saw that coming, but more like his daughter being the protagonist. Feminizing all lead characters isn't feeling good to me. Let's have a Joe Croft instead of Lara and see them snap because of it.

HawarMiran

Banned
Yeah I saw that coming, but more like his daughter being the protagonist. Feminizing all lead characters isn't feeling good to me. Let's have a Joe Croft instead of Lara and see them snap because of it.
Yeah it would be the same as not playing Link in Zelda games anymore. Nathan Drake is Uncharted but in the end it is about being a fun game. I like the set pieces,traversel and shooting in UC so i would play it anyway

PaintTinJr

40 CU is a waste od die space and will not reduce the price of the console. They can just make 20 CU and 1.6 ghz. I also believe they will go with 192 bit bus memory to reduce cost while keeping the 1 TB SSD.
So would the RT cores in all likelihood - be a waste - if they don't provide similar memory bandwidth as the XsX IMHO. And I really think they only need a cheap SSD cache in the lockhart - the size of a game, so less 100GB - as part of a hybrid mechanical drive, along with providing the external SSD port that interfaces the VA IO, so they can upsell the highly profitable external SSD modules to the entry level buyers.

On the memory side of things, 560GB/s might sound like a lot, but when you consider the XsX and lockhart are intended to share a CPU spec (according to rumours) then that CPU is consuming a lot of that 336GB/s (of 192bit bus unified RAM) when it doesn't have an additional 10GB GPU pool with 560GB/s to asymmetrically access,, too and might risk starving the ~4TF RDNA2 GPU

Edit:
Also if the CPU memory use(IO and SSD, BCpack features) is supposed to be the same on lockhart(as XsX) to stop next-gen games being held back by the ~4TF console, then of the rumoured 7.5GB available to games on lockart - presumably of 10GBs, 1GB per channel with the same 2.5 use by the OS - then we would expect the same 3.5GB of the 7.5GB to be used by the CPU, leaving just 4GB for the ~4TF, so bandwidth to keep the GPU fed might be even more crucial with such a small dedicated pool.

Last edited:
So would the RT cores in all likelihood - be a waste - if they don't provide similar memory bandwidth as the XsX IMHO. And I really think they only need a cheap SSD cache in the lockhart - the size of a game, so less 100GB - as part of a hybrid mechanical drive, along with providing the external SSD port that interfaces the VA IO, so they can upsell the highly profitable external SSD modules to the entry level buyers.

On the memory side of things, 560GB/s might sound like a lot, but when you consider the XsX and lockhart are intended to share a CPU spec (according to rumours) then that CPU is consuming a lot of that 336GB/s (of 192bit bus unified RAM) when it doesn't have an additional 10GB GPU pool with 560GB/s to asymmetrically access,, too and might risk starving the ~4TF RDNA2 GPU

Edit:
Also if the CPU memory use(IO and SSD, BCpack features) is supposed to be the same on lockhart(as XsX) to stop next-gen games being held back by the ~4TF console, then of the rumoured 7.5GB available to games on lockart - presumably of 10GBs, 1GB per channel with the same 2.5 use by the OS - then we would expect the same 3.5GB of the 7.5GB to be used by the CPU, leaving just 4GB for the ~4TF, so bandwidth to keep the GPU fed might be even more crucial with such a small dedicated pool.
I do not thing this 4tf console will be designed to do RT. If they want to capture the cheap, they go cheap and cut RT , memory bandwidth. They however, should not touch the CPU and SSD at all. otherwise they hold us back for the entire generation.

sircaw

Banned
I'd prefer a new IP or Jak 4. Six Uncharteds is enough.

I think i am on you on this one, i played the uncharted collection, was amazing. I could not put them down.
The lost legacy one, i enjoyed but not sure i liked the open world concept, still very very good.

I am playing uncharted 4 atm, chapter six, looks wonderful, plays great but i will admit, i feel i have kinda seen it all before.

I would love to see a new ip from them, something like uncharted but say in a sci fi setting, futuristic, mass effect kinda of vibe. New character, new worlds, new abilities, gadgets same kinda of formula.

SSfox

The only case where i can see myself spend more time on Xbox series X over PS5, is if most of multiplat, mostly those i play will run better on Xbox series X, and i'm not just talking about graphics here since some res diffrence isn't a big deal, but things like input lag response, online play ect, cases like RDR1, Bayonetta, or SF4 on PS360 for those who knows those games, it was the reason i spent more time on Xbox 360 over PS3 during 2010 to 2012.

Now do i think something like this is likely to happen with XSX/PS5? well i definitely don't think so, i actually even think that PS5 may win the input lag war, but of course, time will tell about those things. But i'm just saying, cause outside of this aspect i don't see what would make Xbox win over PS in next gen.

I would love one! Naughty Dog already lost Crash Bandicoot, well known PS mascot, now better have multiple iconic faces instead of relying on one, it's Sony's new idea, I guess, and it shows that it's not milking one IP like the competition:

cW8BYvX.jpg

On a side note I also enjoyed the Ape Escape franchise as well. Certainly was very different to other games that came out back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom