• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Cake

unknown.png

You heard it here first guys, 12Gb/s average. Fastest SSD in the west.

I took that to mean 2.5x the 13.5GB available RAM (due to better usage of it compared to last gen) so in effect 33GB of memory available.

DaGwaphics

It says "more than 100GB" now in the latest blog.

Probably trying to kill that notion that there was some odd copy & paste situation required. A game could be more than 100GB, devs can use that data in different ways now at a lot lower CPU cost. At least that's what I take from it. Some just took the word "instantly" far too literally.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
unless you care about framerate and resolution, then xbsex seems better choice
I'm unconvinced that's going to be noticeable personally... we have yet to see how the higher frequency GPU + different custom hardware matters for PS5 vs XSX. But either way, load times are a higher priority for me personally unless the graphical difference is major.

XSX will have nice and short load times too, so that also might not be that noticeable.. we'll see.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm guessing they will keep it how it is but up the mAh. The current DS4 battery life is fine for me as I rarely play more than 2 hours at a time these days (though did yesterday on TLOU2!) and some tests have it as much as 8-9 hours. If DualSense is say ~10 hours on the battery life then most will be happy I would think.

Yup, it degrades overtime, and to get 5 hours out of a 7 years old controller is pretty good. I usually game for around 8-24+ hours a session, up to my MGS5 record of 51 hours! That's why I'm not getting an OLED, lol.

By the way, you got harder matches for Leicester City, and the hardest is the last one.:messenger_smiling_horns: GGMU.:messenger_fire:

LED Guy?

Banned
OK, so we have the following:

- Unreal 5 demo looking much better than Hellblade 2.
- Ghost of Tsushima scoring 84 on Metacritic & 85 on Opencritic, higher than Halo 5’s score.
- The Last of Us Part 2 being a masterpiece!
- PS5 debuting next-gen quality games right out the gate.
- Horizon Forbidden West looking much better than any game Microsoft has shown.
- PS5’s SSD proved that it’s more important to make a new generation leap than just a meager 16% GPU advantage.

I hope Microsoft’s July 23rd event can hold a candle to what Sony is showing/gonna be showing because it is looking kinda spooky for Microsoft right now. 😂😂😂

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Probably trying to kill that notion that there was some odd copy & paste situation required. A game could be more than 100GB, devs can use that data in different ways now at a lot lower CPU cost. At least that's what I take from it. Some just took the word "instantly" far too literally.
Well it's basically meaningless then from the perspective of trying to explain the technology behind something. Words like "instantly" don't belong in a document where you are detailing the GB/second data transfer of an I/O system.

3liteDragon

Just finished reading it, honestly nothing new here. They’ve already talked about all this fully when the specs were revealed back in March. Don’t think XVA is anything special outside the SSD architecture, just a marketing name that combines all the elements of the SSD complex itself, and that 100GB statement is still confusing, doesn’t make any sense.

Also...

Through the massive increase in I/O throughput, hardware accelerated decompression, DirectStorage, and the significant increases in efficiency provided by Sampler Feedback Streaming, the Xbox Velocity Architecture enables the Xbox Series X to deliver effective performance well beyond the raw hardware specs, providing direct, instant, low level access to more than 100GB of game data stored on the SSD just in time for when the game requires it. These innovations will unlock new gameplay experiences and a level of depth and immersion unlike anything you have previously experienced in gaming.

Wonder where I’ve heard that before...

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well it's basically meaningless then from the perspective of trying to explain the technology behind something. Words like "instantly" don't belong in a document where you are detailing the GB/second data transfer of an I/O system.

MS statements have been consumer facing, they want to say it makes things a lot faster than last gen. In that instance, "instantly" works. Without some liberties is there any situation where the word instant could be used without being hyperbolic? Probably not many.

Joho79

- Ghost of Tsushima scoring 84 on Metacritic & 85 on Opencritic, higher than Halo 5’s score.
- PS5’s SSD proved that it’s more important to make a new generation leap than just a meager 16% GPU advantage.

I hope Microsoft’s July 23rd event can hold a candle to what Sony is showing/gonna be showing because it is looking kinda spooky for Microsoft right now. 😂😂😂

Joke post, please say so!

geordiemp

Yes, but that means that normally textures are being loaded and only 1/3rd is being used (according to Microsoft). So if you wouldn't have SFS you could load 4.8GB/s of compressed assets (in this case textures) and only 1.6GB (1/3) would be used by the GPU. While now the full 4.8GB will be used. Or on average 2.5x as much as we would normally be able to load in.

In easier terms. An old system not supporting SFS would actually need an SSD with 12GB/s compressed read speeds to load in the same amount of textures as the XSX with SFS and an SSD with 4.8GB/s compressed read speeds.

Not really, SFS is a blending system which blends in a texture if it did not arrive in time.

All the 2,.5 x stuff is about streaming what only is needed, or Just in time..... its a benefit over the old way of loading everything - I dont see this as unique to anything.

The 2 subjects above are different. Your collating 2 different things and come to a strange outcome.

MS have got rid of the 30 year old windows IO system with a new API - great stuff, about time. SFS helps with if a texture is late. And streaming fast means less memory over old methods.

But there is MS PR in there 2.5 x over what baseline lol. and using descriptions of instant, its PR to confuse the genuine good work.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

MS statements have been consumer facing, they want to say it makes things a lot faster than last gen. In that instance, "instantly" works. Without some liberties is there any situation where the word instant could be used without being hyperbolic? Probably not many.
Sure; but it's consumer facing technical information.. being talked about in technical conversations.

We have literally an entire thread with that pointless claim in the thread title that's been going on for dozens of pages lol It's a pointless distraction that means nothing.

ToadMan

What are you even talking about here?

No one is talking about APIs evolving over the course of development or "releases."

We are talking about the PS4 APIs vs the PS5 APIs.

Breaking changes between major versions are to be expected.. it's what the "major version" implies by most API naming conventions. That's certainly how Microsoft does it. If you have some code that uses v 2.0 of an API and you want to move to v 3.0, expect some of that code to not compile. Happens between minor versions sometimes too (v 2.0 to 2.1.)

I code for a living.. do you? (honestly curious)

Right... via the PS5 BC modes, which support the PS4 instruction sets. Which Cerny made pretty clear requires testing. AKA there is no "boost mode" ... PS4 games in BC run with boosted frequencies, which can cause some issues for some games... hence Sony requiring that testing be done for games past July 2020.

Personally I work in unity these days. Because of that I use a lot of C# and visual studio mixed in with C++ when the need is there.
I can’t really be bothered to teach right now, so just enjoy your ideas man:messenger_ok:

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, SFS is a blending system which blends in a texture if it did not arrive in time.

All the 2,.5 x stuff is about streaming what only is needed, or Just in time..... its a benefit over the old way of loading everything - I dont see this as unique to anything.

The 2 subjects above are different. Your collating 2 different things and come to a strange outcome.

MS have got rid of the 30 year old windows IO system with a new API - great stuff, about time. SFS helps with if a texture is late. And streaming fast means less memory over old methods.

But there is MS PR in there 2.5 x over what baseline lol. and using descriptions of instant, its PR to confuse the genuine good work.
Not really, it's correct what I'm saying. With the old system you'll need a much faster SSD to get to the same results as with the new XSX system using SFS. SFS will make sure you only get the right information and nothing else. By combining that with the read speed of the SSD you can get way more textures to the GPU (2.5x as much) than if you would use this SSD with the old API.

silent head

unknown.png

You heard it here first guys, 12Gb/s average. Fastest SSD in the west.

2.4 GB/s * 2.5 = 6 GB/s

Microsoft’s Xbox Series X SSD is fast, and can use similar hardware-based compression, but its speeds are 2.4GB/s, or 6GB/s with compression.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Sure; but it's consumer facing technical information.. being talked about in technical conversations.

We have literally an entire thread with that pointless claim in the thread title that's been going on for dozens of pages lol It's a pointless distraction that means nothing.

I agree, If MS had just said

- Got rid of the old windows IO system, new API
- hardware decompression
- If a texture does not arrive in time, we can blend it in (SFS)
- Faster streaming means less need for more memory

It would be great, but the suits just cant help with their PR and vagueness.

IntentionalPun

Personally I work in unity these days. Because of that I use a lot of C# and visual studio mixed in with C++ when the need is there.
I can’t really be bothered to teach right now, so just enjoy your ideas man:messenger_ok:

LOL right.

You "work" in unity huh? As in paid?

Incredible that you've never come across an API that becomes obsolete / eventually deprecated.. considering it happens commonly.. in Unity.

Dinking around in Visual Studio Community edition does not make you a professional developer.

geordiemp

Not really, it's correct what I'm saying. With the old system you'll need a much faster SSD to get to the same results as with the new XSX system using SFS. SFS will make sure you only get the right information and nothing else. By combining that with the read speed of the SSD you can get way more textures to the GPU (2.5x as much) than if you would use this SSD with the old API.

2.5 x compared to what , a 30 year old windows IO system that is slow as hell and back ?

The problem is the 2.5 x is used liberally without definition, and all of a sudden its mis understood as secret sauce 2.5 x 2.4 Gbs. Thats just wrong.

It annoys me when someone says 2.5 x more of anything without stating compared to what,. Its vague and intentionally meant to confuse I think.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
2.5 x compared to what , a 30 year old windows IO system that is slow as hell and back ?

The problem is the 2.5 x is used liberally without definition, and all of a sudden its mis understood as secret sauce 2.5 x 2.4 Gbs. Thats just wrong.
Compared to the system on the Xbox One X I suppose... They've been using that as a baseline throughout the whole article so why would they suddenly mean a 30 year old Windows system. They even write it in the SFS section:

Through specialized hardware added to the Xbox One X, we were able to analyze texture memory usage by the GPU and we discovered that the GPU often accesses less than 1/3 of the texture data required to be loaded in memory. A single scene often includes thousands of different textures resulting in a significant loss in effective memory and I/O bandwidth utilization due to inefficient usage.

So this older system was active on the Xbox One X, at least that's how I read it. So yeah the read speed of the SSD doesn't change, but it reads more efficiently which makes sure that you don't read stuff that you don't need. Which translates into the system being able to use 2.5x as many textures as before (on average).

Last edited by a moderator:

THE:MILKMAN

Yup, it degrades overtime, and to get 5 hours out of a 7 years old controller is pretty good. I usually game for around 8-24+ hours a session, up to my MGS5 record of 51 hours! That's why I'm not getting an OLED, lol.

By the way, you got harder matches for Leicester City, and the hardest is the last one.:messenger_smiling_horns: GGMU.:messenger_fire:

The hell.....51 hours straight!? I once read about a Korean? guy that did the same length session and sadly dropped dead.:messenger_dizzy: Seriously I would calm down a little!

As for Leicester v Man U. That is a proper last game of the season cup tie with a possible place in Europe for the winner. I actually think Man U should take it as we're not ready or good enough for Europe yet even against a better than expected Europe run after our Premier League win in 2016.

geordiemp

Compared to the system on the Xbox One X I suppose... They've been using that as a baseline throughout the whole article so why would they suddenly mean a 30 year old Windows system. They even write it in the SFS section:

Exactly, if it was 2.5 x better than something good, they would say so. I bet the mS engineers get frustrated when the suits start twisting stuff for PR, it would get my goat.

My interpretation is windows 30 year old IO system was so slow that a NVME SSD looses all its speed due to the software. MS have an new IO system and fixed it.

So your 2.4 / 4.8 Gbs is now what it is, not stranged by the old IO system. And faster streaming means less memory.

Good stuff, good for all gamers including PC.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned

So, nothing new what we haven't heard before. Bunch of PR fluff as usual. Just 2.4/4.8 GB/s, 6.x GB/s max.

Last edited:

Lethal01

2.4 GB/s * 2.5 = 6 GB/s

Microsoft’s Xbox Series X SSD is fast, and can use similar hardware-based compression, but its speeds are 2.4GB/s, or 6GB/s with compression.

its speeds are 2.4GB/s, or 6GB/s with compression.

6 * 2.5 = 15 GB/s, I said 12 to make the joke a little safer but I guess I should have gone the whole way.

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned

Some of you guys are embarrassing lmao

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly, if it was 2.5 x better than something good, they would say so. I bet the mS engineers get frustrated when the suits start twisting stuff for PR, it would get my goat.

My interpretation is windows 30 year old IO system was so slow that a NVME SSD looses all its speed due to the software. MS have an new IO system and fixed it.

So your 2.4 / 4.8 Gbs is now what it is, not stranged by the old IO system. And faster streaming means less memory.

Good stuff, good for all gamers including PC.
Your interpretation based on what? How do you even know that the current IO system on the Xbox One X is 30 years old? You better back this up with proper sources, because this is a thread that expects people to back up their claims. Otherwise you are merely spreading FUD.

pawel86ck

Banned

It annoys me when someone says 2.5 x more of anything without stating compared to what,. Its vague and intentionally meant to confuse I think.
Compared to the same console but without SFS obviously, so their SSD 2.4 GB/s should deliver similar results as 6 GB/s SSD without SFS.

geordiemp

Your interpretation based on what? How do you even know that the current IO system on the Xbox One X is 30 years old? You better back this up with proper sources, because this is a thread that expects people to back up their claims. Otherwise you are merely spreading FUD.

Hi, 30 years....comment is in the RECENT interview with that guy with the beard on vel Arch who said it, not making it up,

Its a good thing, the new API bypasses the strangulation of the old windows IO system and allows fast SSD access, so I dont know why thats a negative on XSX, good on MS.

If you watch the Linus video, as soon as he put that 10 grand 25 GBs SSD in windows file system it almost stoped LOL- note how Linus got those speed in Linux or whatever he used.....

The new API means system bypasses windows IO and SSD can perform like it should. And so can PC games.

Which means all upcoming 3rd party games can stream textures and we get better games. Nice one.

My interpretation is based on all above, I cant say exactly what the 2.5 refers to, I think its left open on purpose, MS read the script many times and purposely leave somethings open to imagination.

Some will be going Oh so its 2.5 x 4.8 UI can get almost 15 GBS - do MS do this PR on purpose ? I think so. At least it keeps Neogaf busy.

Compared to the same console but without SFS obviously, so their SSD 2.4 GB/s should deliver similar results as 6 GB/s SSD without SFS.

And there you go, the reason why 2.5 x is left vague. LOL.

Timdog will be posting about effective 2.5 x 16 GB memory next. MS really need to clean up their act.

Last edited:
I think the most interesting part is this:

"The custom NVME SSD in Xbox Series X is designed for consistent, sustained performance as opposed to peak performance."

That definitely seems to imply that they have designed the cooling to ensure that it won't ever throttle from that speed, and with all their technologies to make more use of the SSD (the glorified 100GB cache in the SSD, the SFS and DirectStorage and hardware decompression) I am starting to wonder how the Series X SSD will stack up against the PS5 SSD.

The PS5 SSD's speeds definitely seem like peak speeds rather than average or consistent (which I have no problem with) and will also almost certainly throttle if pushed to hard (many consumer M.2 SSDs that are close in speed have dedicated heat sinks and some even have fans and still are not always able to deliver consistent performance, and with the PS5 SSD being as fast as it is and allowing aftermarket SSDs, I have a feeling those speeds won't be consistent) so I am legit curious if there will ever be any circumstances where the Series X SSD outperforms the PS5 SSD and if there are, whether or not it will be noticeable like the PS5's advantage over Series X (with base load times)

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'm a bit out of the loop because I've been mainly following Ghost of Tsushima but what the fuck they actually made a velocity architecture trailer.
LMAO tier marketing.

Talking about loops, XSX marketing is starting to feel like a neverending one. Just repeating and retreading the same stuff over and over. I must ask, if the marketing was being successful, would they be repeating themselves so much??

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, 30 years....commenty is in the RECENT interview with that guy with the beard on vel Arch who said it, not making it up,

Its a good thing, the new API bypasses the strangulation of the old windows IO system and allows fast SSD access, so I dont know why thats a negative on XSX, good on MS.

If you watch the Linus video, as soon as he put that 10 grand 25 GBs SSD in windows file system it almost stoped LOL- note how Linus got those speed in Linux or whatever he used.....

The new API means system bypasses windows IO and SSD can perform like it should. And so can PC games.

Which means all upcoming 3rd party games can stream textures and we get better games. Nice one.

My interpretation is based on all above, I cant say exactly what the 2.5 refers to, I think its left open on purpose, MS read the script many times and purposely leave sometghings open to imagination.

Some will be going Oh so its 2.5 x 4.8 UI can get almost 15 GBS - do MS do this PR on purpose ? I think so.
But it isn't vague. They literally explained in detail how they got to that 2.5x. They checked how their old API was performing on the Xbox One X with dedicated hardware, they created a new one, and after testing on average it results in 2.5x increase of the effective I/O throughput and memory usage.

On your 30 years old comment that has to do with their new DirectStorage API which is about providing developers with fine grain control of their I/O operations empowering them to establish multiple I/O queues, prioritization and minimizing I/O latency. While SFS is even something else on top of that.

zaitsu

Banned
I think the most interesting part is this:

"The custom NVME SSD in Xbox Series X is designed for consistent, sustained performance as opposed to peak performance."

That definitely seems to imply that they have designed the cooling to ensure that it won't ever throttle from that speed, and with all their technologies to make more use of the SSD (the glorified 100GB cache in the SSD, the SFS and DirectStorage and hardware decompression) I am starting to wonder how the Series X SSD will stack up against the PS5 SSD.

The PS5 SSD's speeds definitely seem like peak speeds rather than average or consistent (which I have no problem with) and will also almost certainly throttle if pushed to hard (many consumer M.2 SSDs that are close in speed have dedicated heat sinks and some even have fans and still are not always able to deliver consistent performance, and with the PS5 SSD being as fast as it is and allowing aftermarket SSDs, I have a feeling those speeds won't be consistent) so I am legit curious if there will ever be any circumstances where the Series X SSD outperforms the PS5 SSD and if there are, whether or not it will be noticeable like the PS5's advantage over Series X (with base load times)
PS5 peak is 22 GB/s, so yeah stop BS

geordiemp

They stated it is 2.5 times better with SFS

4.8 Compressed * 2.5 = 12

Bear in mind this whole thing was me pointing out that we don't really know what that 2.5 really means.

They are taking about saving memory amount by not loading textures that are not used in the older way of streaming data.

It does not make streaming quicker. The mental gymnastics is quite amusing.

geordiemp

But it isn't vague. They literally explained in detail how they got to that 2.5x. They checked how their old API was performing on the Xbox One X with dedicated hardware, they created a new one, and after testing on average it results in 2.5x increase of the effective I/O throughput and memory usage.

On your 30 years old comment that has to do with their new DirectStorage API which is about providing developers with fine grain control of their I/O operations empowering them to establish multiple I/O queues, prioritization and minimizing I/O latency. While SFS is even something else on top of that.

Exactly, 2.5 x less memory used than the last gen, 40 x faster than last gen. Fine. Thats how I read it as well.

WE agree.

You got posters in here saying 2.5 x 4.8 Gbs - so it was not clear was it.

2.5 x what was already stated for XSX is now the meme - go read above, there are plenty.

Its like Cerny saying ps5 100 x faster then being unclear - he said over ps4 HDD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom