• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Sony officially announcing their last Showcase being game centered and not about the system, we can conclude Sony has conceded the battle over whose system is superior.

We had one show from Cerny that basically concentrated on the SSD and that was all. To be honest I am kind of surprised, I was expecting much more in depth breakdown of the system and how its technology will be utilized, especially them addressing the lack of features that Xbox has reveal since the breakdown.

So many people were here arguing that the PS5 basically had many of the same features Xbox had highlighted and that it would announce them as we got closer, which ended up never happening even after having opportunities to come out and reveal more of the technology.

It feels very similar to the PS4 Pro vs X1X situation, I just would have assumed Sony wouldn't have been this easy of a push over again.
That's Your off take on it (imo) which I bet most don't agree with. PS5 versus nextbox hardware wise is not tht clear winner except for marginal upgrade in gpu for Xbox and way bigger upgrade in ssd and i/o plus efficiency from ps5. Depends who you ask but my money is on PS5 still performing better overall with better feature set.

Sony have their blue print strategy from long ago and so far on Sony side games are talking. Talk is very cheap and Microsoft doesn't get benefit of doubt with all the mediocre games we got this gen and all games being shown for next Gen on pc.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Are you still flogging that old dead horse, i have been away for a few days, been sick and i basically come back and you're still on that same old page.

Look around you ffs, look at the excitement in here, wtf is it with you and a little bit of power.

Its the fucking games that matter dude, you're like a broken fucking record.

COME ON.
I am seriously beginning to suspect you have downs or something.

Start getting excited for the ps5, you know your getting one anyways..
Get well! Fucking missed my Fishy friend too!
This how you felt when I was sick?
I'll send Amanda your way.

kyliethicc

Are you still flogging that old dead horse, i have been away for a few days, been sick and i basically come back and you're still on that same old page.

Look around you ffs, look at the excitement in here, wtf is it with you and a little bit of power.

COME ON.

welcome back, hope u good. the time has come!

Md Ray

I've seen our own o'dium being quoted everywhere on twitter and youtube today

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds like a AA title to me.
I agree, but we are all aware what the previous game was, right? And the size of Insomniac. I don't understand why it's all OK to laugh with Halo (rightfully so), but if we point out that Miles Morales is a quick fix. A release to build on the success of the previous installment, and to push the Playstation 5 more (which is all fine), even though it's much shorter version than before, suddenly we're saying something wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:

kyliethicc

I agree, but we are all aware what the previous game was, right? And the size of Insomniac. I don't understand why it's all OK to laugh with Halo (rightfully so), but if we point out that Miles Morales is a quick fix. A release to build on the success of the previous installment, and to push the Playstation 5 more (which is all fine), even though it's much shorter version than before, suddenly we're saying something wrong...
Because you're lying about it not being a full game. Halo was mocked for its shit gameplay and poor graphics (and craig.)

Miles Morales looks stunning and is a follow up to a great game.

Not even close to the same thing.

Last edited:

Miles Morales doesn't look like garbage in my opinion. The expectations for Halo Infinite were sky high and they basically fell flat on their face.

There's a reason why people are making fun of Halo Infinite instead of Spiderman Miles Morales.

DaGwaphics

Should still be a solid offering. Spiderman is just a little overhyped by the Sony faithful, that's all. You've got to figure that 85% of PS users found no interest in the original, so it's not like the game is going to drive them out to upgrade to PS5 anymore than they would have already. It is a great game though.

Honestly 399$ is the lowest that I can see them hitting. But that's unlikely to happen unless the BOM is alot cheaper than what we thought. I personally am expecting a 499$ price point with at least one SKU.

Agreed. However, I'm remiss to 100% commit to saying it is a certainty. As is known, Sony has massive profitability and is the undisputed market leader. We, as laymen, cannot say with certainty how much loss they'll be willing to take.

Additionally, they've made mention of wanting a quick, seamless transition(or something to that effect). You cannot achieve that, particularly in a recessed economy, without being competitive on price, which is why I'm not entirely convinced they'll be set on $499.

If I were to assess a percentage, I'd say $499 and $399 are about..90% likely. Save 10% if Sony really wants to throw the most serrated dagger in their arsenal.

Should still be a solid offering. Spiderman is just a little overhyped by the Sony faithful, that's all. You've got to figure that 85% of PS users found no interest in the original, so it's not like the game is going to drive them out to upgrade to PS5 anymore than they would have already. It is a great game though.
It has a high meta, one of the best games graphically this gen and sold over 15 million yup thts overhyped lol

And plz don't say "more than 15 million out of 120 million user base" thts not how things go or metrics used. Once a game sell multi millions and reaps its profit its a success. Everyone's situation isn't the same out of 120 mil Sony users many of them can't afford to buy every exclusive, I know ppl can't buy more than two ganes a year so ppl pick and choose. Sony's games all selling multi millions even new IPs says alot about Sony's popular brand.

mejin

More than that. They lost the chicken battle. They tried to wait it out. Didn't work. They got forced to go first. Ps5 hype is too high. Those ign polls are hurting them. It was a controlled leak. Otherwise they would of just announced their show for the week. They had too much ready to go material to be a leak. I think they bit on the playstation 25th anniversary date rumor. And looked to upstage Sony. But Sony made no moves. The celebrations happened on zoom calls and some offices.

This war/battle is only on our heads. We just do it for fun. Sony gave several signs they don't care what MS is doing for years now imo

I think Sony's marketing/PR strategy is similar of a candidate who is winning the election with ease. You don't react to the losers. You don't respond to losers. You don't acknowlodge the losers. You just push foward in your own pace.

What weapons a losing candidate have? trashtalk, offering more benefits here and there even if he can't fullfil the promises later, saying what people want to hear even if he doesn't believe or was already caught doing differently, etc.

So it is a fucked up situation cause there is no debate when the leader doesn't show up.

RaySoft

There's the speculation that it's been customized differently on the PS5 but we don't have any proof of that yet. All Cerny said was that it was new for Playstation.

You know what I find really interesting?

807-block-diagram.jpg

Is that Polaris has a geometry processor in it and the PS4 Pro is based off polaris if I'm not mistaken. Pretty interesting how they are saying it's something new for the PS5.

Maybe geometry engine =/= geometry processor. No idea if that's true since I don't know alot about tech.
Isn't "Geometry Engine" just a "common name" for different hardware parts that handles geometry? As in it's more of a complex than a specific part?

Doncabesa

So the leaked video from last night was intended only for press/influencers. Makes sense with how obviously scripted it was. Should be a fun week with Sony's show and potentially more from Xbox showing the stuff they had ready for consumers to see. You have to think that Sony will have a few bombs to drop, and I hope the price is good as the Mrs. is already looking at me side eyed over upgrading to next-gen haha.

Imtjnotu

So the leaked video from last night was intended only for press/influencers. Makes sense with how obviously scripted it was. Should be a fun week with Sony's show and potentially more from Xbox showing the stuff they had ready for consumers to see. You have to think that Sony will have a few bombs to drop, and I hope the price is good as the Mrs. is already looking at me side eyed over upgrading to next-gen haha.

It's the reason Ms went to every one of those shitty paid for you tubers to push this box.

Which is why I only watch mkbhd as of late.

CrysisFreak

Banned
These polls on who wants to get what console are so worthless in most cases, from both sides, they pretty much represent the already existing marketshare ratios between PlayStation and Xbox.
Like what else do you expect unless one of them royally fucks up which hasn't happened anyway and hopefully won't happen ngl.
jfl.

chonga

If that played out for real that's quite concerning for MS.

If you take AMD at their word and there are 150m consoles out there and we know from Sony that at that time they'd sold 109m it pegs Xbox One at 41m. So in other words Xbox makes up 27.3% of the market. That polls puts them up to 31.9% with no horrific always-online policies, flip-flopping, no forced Kinect bundles and instead the most powerful console and the cheapest console. Just goes to show, it is about the games.

I think that Sony has been smart to bet more on ssd customization because it is very likely that we have mid-generation consoles, Microsoft with the S begins the journey with the anchor cast and practically without the possibility of getting it on board ...
so you are saying its easier to design and fabricate an entire new APU, than swap an ssd drive for a faster one IF needed?
I think it is the opposite :]

COME ON.
Yeah, I look around and I see people that get off by photoshopping craig's head on god of war's spear, paint depictions of crucifixion as craig on cross-shaped xboxes, cursing, making statements that do not relate at all to reality and downplaying everything xbox.
Genuine HEALTH, fish-mate :messenger_beaming:

DaGwaphics

It has a high meta, one of the best games graphically this gen and sold over 15 million yup thts overhyped lol

And plz don't say "more than 15 million out of 120 million user base" thts not how things go or metrics used. Once a game sell multi millions and reaps its profit its a success. Everyone's situation isn't the same out of 120 mil Sony users many of them can't afford to buy every exclusive, I know ppl can't buy more than two ganes a year so ppl pick and choose. Sony's games all selling multi millions even new IPs says alot about Sony's popular brand.

Did I say the game wasn't a success? Touchy, touchy. :messenger_winking:

It's one of my favorites, additional content for it is good news to me.

sircaw

Banned
so you are saying its easier to design and fabricate an entire new APU, than swap an ssd drive for a faster one IF needed?
I think it is the opposite :]

Yeah, I look around and I see people that get off by photoshopping craig's head on god of war's spear, paint depictions of crucifixion as craig on cross-shaped xboxes, cursing, making statements that do not relate at all to reality and downplaying everything xbox.
Genuine HEALTH, fish-mate :messenger_beaming:

Stop it Debbie.
Get with the program Scofield

The battle is done, the war is over.
Now just buy your Ps5 and accept the reality of the situation.

Your fighting over nothing, the ground has already been conceded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom