• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm Cory Barlog seem's to be acting strange on Twitter especially since the PS5 event reveal, could mean something but then again he's off his rocka at the sanest of times so can't make much of it.

SSfox

Guess is safe bet to see more gameplay of Spiderman MM, Demon Souls and Ratchet (maybe they will show Ratcheta gameplay?)

And i wonder if they'll announce new games, guess maybe 1 or 2, or... 3? who knows

I want to name some games, but i don't want to get too aheat of myself, also maybe they give release date for the games, like GT7 and Demon Souls maybe.

DaGwaphics

Leak was poor marketing strategy.
It is really confusing how the Xbox team with ton of money do the things lol

I guess they live in a reality that they are equal and want approaching the gamers lol

I think it is understood that MS is not stealing many (if any) costumers from Sony, things are just too sticky with the back compat and the game profiles, etc.

The only way they gain any share is to attract new costumers, which is probably what they are trying to do.

With that said, I dare you to find me one poll at the start of the ps360 gen that indicated that 360 would murder the PS3 in the US/UK market on the heels of the PS2. Ditto for the Wii sneaking in and toping them both. In that respect, these type of polls are just as useless as they've always been, since they only ever reflect whatever represents the status quo of the moment. if Xbox had the 2:1 sales lead, the polling would be reversed regardless of how botched the launch marketing is.

Last edited:

Games Dean

I'll put this here for me to maybe quote later:

As much as I love Sony and I'm probably going to preorder a PS5, I dont expect any bombshells from this. Some more Ratchet, GT7 and some Spiderman, maybe DS and HZD. A little bit of CoD here and other 3rd party stuff there.
I dont think they've been holding AAA games back. I dont think any major yet unannounced exclusive (first party) will release in the first year of PS5. I really dont believe any rumors at this point.

That is the mindset with which I will go into this and honestly I would recommend the same here to a lot of people. Too many are setting themselves up for disappointment. I think what Sony has shown so far is enough to warrant a purchase from me personally. I also want to play some current gen stuff on the PS5, just for better loading times and 60 fps like Cyberpunk and Mafia Remake. That plus Spiderman is already enough for the rest of the year.

So yeah, calm your tits, check your expectations and dont let your hype control your happiness :).
Hahaha yeah, no.

Last edited:

BatSu

IgE8ebj.gif

1234567654321oljuu.png

No chance
Agreed. PS5 DE is going to be the big money maker for Sony. Also the fact it will be cheaper is going to be crazy.
The reason why I state Sony is going to make more money with the PS5 DE over standard PS5 is digital sales. Every game sold on the PS5 DE is guaranteed digital store front sale. Which means Sony makes more profit per game sold. No middle man or retail cuts taken out or used games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Find it interesting because heard last night preorders go live the 16th but couldn’t say anything.

Seems they end the show with preorder now?

Sent birdie a text asking if it’s an unload everything type of show will update with his reply.

But they said they’re not going to open pre-orders on a moment’s notice. Pre-order now would pretty much crash Amazon.

xacto

So, bear with me, please, I have been away for most of the day, and like 30 new pages sprouted up... so since the new showcase on September 16th will be around 40 minutes long, I don't think there will be a teardown and probably (yet again) no UI, resume, boot up time, switching between games and so on.

At least this is what I got from the PlayStation Blog; just some great games, and that was pretty much that was mentioned. You guys think there will be something more than that present, in that limited timeframe?

kyliethicc

So, bear with me, please, I have been away for most of the day, and like 30 new pages sprouted up... so since the new showcase on September 16th will be around 40 minutes long, I don't think there will be a teardown and probably (yet again) no UI, resume, boot up time, switching between games and so on.

At least this is what I got from the PlayStation Blog; just some great games, and that was pretty much that was mentioned. You guys think there will be something more than that present, in that limited timeframe?
It'll be games and hopefully end on price.

The teardown will just be a PS blog post and video around/after launch.

To be fair it probably doesn't take them alot of time to drop that information. All you would need is a slide with the launch dates and the prices. I can definitely see them having an announcement like that in a 40 minute event. Then they could always release additional information via PlayStation Blog.

I bet my balls that at the end of the show they will show both consoles next to each other... and then respective prices appear a few seconds later... digital 399/ discs 499... perfection..

I bet my balls that at the end of the show they will show both consoles next to each other... and then respective prices appear a few seconds later... digital 399/ discs 499... perfection..

Honestly there's a thread that I'm looking forward to posting the actual hardware in. I'm really hoping that happens.

When we see the hardware (if it happens) I'll be posting a link to the thread in the event thread.

That way those of us who have seen the hardware can post that in the thread.

Just letting you three know what I'm doing. DarkMage619 DarkMage619

J JustP_Gaming

NullZ3r0 NullZ3r0

Last edited:

Entroyp

ohw man, i know this stuff only gets clicked on by the early adopters but damn this must be heartbreaking for Phil and the likes. What more can he do? PS must seriously fuck up their games and make the console at least 200 dollar more expensive than the series x for them to let this sure win go. PS4 just has too much momentum.

At this point is not up to MS but Sony to seriously fuck things up. Like it always has been.

Now, if Sony comes up with a $599 bomb things will change I believe.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
ohw man, i know this stuff only gets clicked on by the early adopters but damn this must be heartbreaking for Phil and the likes. What more can he do? PS must seriously fuck up their games and make the console at least 200 dollar more expensive than the series x for them to let this sure win go. PS4 just has too much momentum.
They could have done a lot things...

- Make a solid marketing strategy focusing in a single powerful console.
- Forget about cross-gen support... new generation = new start.
- Focus in exclusives games for their platform instead promises.
- Show games running in the actual hardware they want to sell.
- Gamepass is awesome plus to these that are already into the platform... try first to sell your hardware and late sell Gamepass to these.
- Avoid to marketing using toxic fans.

I can go on.

Phil talk talk did basically everything what you can’t do in a new generation launch.

MS could be in a better position right now if not the bad management and marketing.

Last edited:

INC

I think it is understood that MS is not stealing many (if any) costumers from Sony, things are just too sticky with the back compat and the game profiles, etc.

The only way they gain any share is to attract new costumers, which is probably what they are trying to do.

With that said, I dare you to find me one poll at the start of the ps360 gen that indicated that 360 would murder the PS3 in the US/UK market on the heels of the PS2. Ditto for the Wii sneaking in and toping them both. In that respect, these type of polls are just as useless as they've always been, since they only ever reflect whatever represents the status quo of the moment. if Xbox had the 2:1 sales lead, the polling would be reversed regardless of how botched the launch marketing is.

But the ps3 ended up out selling them in end tho......right?

Nickolaidas

More than that. They lost the chicken battle. They tried to wait it out. Didn't work. They got forced to go first. Ps5 hype is too high. Those ign polls are hurting them. It was a controlled leak. Otherwise they would of just announced their show for the week. They had too much ready to go material to be a leak. I think they bit on the playstation 25th anniversary date rumor. And looked to upstage Sony. But Sony made no moves. The celebrations happened on zoom calls and some offices.
It's hard to be excited about a console whose primary selling point right now is that it's going to play the same old games a little better - when that's already an option via PC.

This is Sony's chance to deal the killing blow.

They can show RE8, Demon's Souls, Horizon 2 and Spider-Man gameplay while MS has shown fuck all, barring the horrendous gameplay reveal of Halo Infinite.

They can utterly wipe out MS, and leave once more only the die hard power enthusiasts who tweet spec words without really knowing what they are talking about defending the console.

Honestly, I'm a bit pissed off with MS for making this too easy for Sony. Granted, they have their Game Pass to mitigate every single defeat at the hands of Sony, but ...

Guess is safe bet to see more gameplay of Spiderman MM, Demon Souls and Ratchet (maybe they will show Ratcheta gameplay?)

And i wonder if they'll announce new games, guess maybe 1 or 2, or... 3? who knows

I want to name some games, but i don't want to get too aheat of myself, also maybe they give release date for the games, like GT7 and Demon Souls maybe.

There will be god of war and silent Hill reboot... internet will explode...

Cobenzl

With Sony officially announcing their last Showcase being game centered and not about the system, we can conclude Sony has conceded the battle over whose system is superior.

We had one show from Cerny that basically concentrated on the SSD and that was all. To be honest I am kind of surprised, I was expecting much more in depth breakdown of the system and how its technology will be utilized, especially them addressing the lack of features that Xbox has reveal since the breakdown.

So many people were here arguing that the PS5 basically had many of the same features Xbox had highlighted and that it would announce them as we got closer, which ended up never happening even after having opportunities to come out and reveal more of the technology.

It feels very similar to the PS4 Pro vs X1X situation, I just would have assumed Sony wouldn't have been this easy of a push over again.

Interesting point. I think you are right in terms of possible max frame rate or Max resolution - XSX will likely be capable of higher max figures.

How much does the Dualsense controller with the haptics, Tempest audio with. HRTF and UI quality of life (I.e fast loading) and general IO performance add to the experience? Can’t wait to see first DF review of a Big cross platform game on XSX and PS5.

Also, reckon XSS might be my first XBox. Always wanted to play Alan Wake and our daughter just told me she wants to play the new Ori game. As a cheaper second system (with PS5 and Switch) why not?

Sw0pDiller

If that played out for real that's quite concerning for MS.

If you take AMD at their word and there are 150m consoles out there and we know from Sony that at that time they'd sold 109m it pegs Xbox One at 41m. So in other words Xbox makes up 27.3% of the market. That polls puts them up to 31.9% with no horrific always-online policies, flip-flopping, no forced Kinect bundles and instead the most powerful console and the cheapest console. Just goes to show, it is about the games.
in fact they are both using the same strategy as last time. MS Launched Bad Ass X version and a cheap digital only xbox one and it did not took off. Both of em were greatly focussed on gamepass as a service but it lacked the AAA games for the last 4 years. And The x version did run most MP games the best and it still is a sweet machine. Right now Series x and Series S follow the same suit and somehow they (and their fans) think its gonna play out wholly diffrent than last gen... i have my doubts. the series x looks to be a sweet ass machine but i just dont want to leave the ps4 ecosystem. I have a couple of backlog games (Persona 5, Ghosts of Tsushima and star wars Fallen Order) that I look forward to playing on the PS5. PLus i guess Sony is going to end the show with some announcements about some 2020 exclusive getting a free PS5 update. imagine TLUO2 MP on PS5, we know it's coming and i just want to see it...

Agreed. PS5 DE is going to be the big money maker for Sony. Also the fact it will be cheaper is going to be crazy.
The reason why I state Sony is going to make more money with the PS5 DE over standard PS5 is digital sales. Every game sold on the PS5 DE is guaranteed digital store front sale. Which means Sony makes more profit per game sold. No middle man or retail cuts taken out or used games.
do you think 50 bucks (like pictured above) is enough incentive for the mainstream to drop the ability to buy discs at a retailer discount or even used? or even sell?
personally I don't think its enough, therefore I expect either a bigger price difference between them OR the disc version in very minimal availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom