• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Seems like it, now the big question is what is the other big launch exclusive which Sony have not yet revealed?

The only details MLiD dropped was that Mark Cerny was working on it and that "it is a revival of a mainstay of Playstation, one that used to be a bigger franchise".
The bigger question is what Studio is making this game. I assume Japan Studio? So is this constant Silent Hill rumor real? I doubt its that. Definitely could be some sort of Jak remake or maybe SOCOM/Resistance coming back.

HAL-01

The bigger question is what Studio is making this game. I assume Japan Studio? So is this constant Silent Hill rumor real? I doubt its that. Definitely could be some sort of Jak remake or maybe SOCOM/Resistance coming back.
I'm 99% sure it'll be Silent Hill developed in collaboration between Kojipro and Japan studio. The trailer will pan up to norman reedus' face, he'll go "kept you waiting, huh?"

G05Ukka.jpg

Ml5hmAr.png

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Please guys stop complaining about the size of the SSD of any of the new consoles.

Just 18 months ago we still thought the new consoles will not have a SSD of more than 512 GB even some people
think the hybrid solution was more reasonable don't even think a fast SSD, remember the prices of an SSD of more
than 500 MB/s are much more than a HDD.

You can delete the games you don't need without worry of delete the progress of the same and please nobody is
playing more of 2 titles in the same time you have enough space to even save some of them.

I know everyone want to have 2 TB of capacity but think each company is losing money per console is one few
product you can buy where you can say the price is below what should be.
I easily play at least 4 games at the same time. Still more than enough space of course. The problem I have is that I have all my games digitally and for big games it just takes long to download them.

Please guys stop complaining about the size of the SSD of any of the new consoles.

Just 18 months ago we still thought the new consoles will not have a SSD of more than 512 GB even some people
think the hybrid solution was more reasonable don't even think a fast SSD, remember the prices of an SSD of more
than 500 MB/s are much more than a HDD.

You can delete the games you don't need without worry of delete the progress of the same and please nobody is
playing more of 2 titles in the same time you have enough space to even save some of them.

I know everyone want to have 2 TB of capacity but think each company is losing money per console is one few
product you can buy where you can say the price is below what should be.

I dont complain about the size, but I get why some are. (Slow internet + data caps aka 3rd world countries)

I have usually 10-20 single player games installed + 5 multiplayer = 2tb is full easily.

Why? Because I start games 2017 and maybe finish them 2020, but I never know when the day comes when I get the feeling that now I play it again. So it sucks to re-install.

Just give me 1-2tb SSD for 100-200€ in 2021 to install more shit I never play and I'm Happy :D

Felessan

Reality check:
-you are not microsoft or sony to care about sales.
-since 2017 there is this toy called xbone x, that not only completely trounced ps4/pro for performance, but also ashamed them for their el cheapo build quality.
-I predict you will be having a hard time this entire generation.
-say hi! to my ignore list.
Reality check:
- Everyone should care about sales (and their regional split) if they have an ability to properly analyze them. Sales is not only affect market performance, it's affect decisions which platform would be main in multiplat titles, how much optimization will be done and of course sales have a great impact on exclusivity deals. We already see that some smaller titles targeting Asia/Europe ditching xbox as non-relevant platform and target Sony/Nintendo multiplatform instead.
- you should educated yourself just how popular X1X is. There is a reason why it was discontinued just after 3 years on the market. And low install base means you know what - low support.
- you prediction without stated rational justification is just your wishfull thinking, that you have a full right to have. But I, on the other hand, have right to ignore it completely, as something Dusk Golem's style "balancing" delusions.

Hey look! Its the same tech reporter for bloomberg that was ridiculed just last week when he broke the "50% ps5 cores unstable" news.

Today's lesson is: How credibility changes within a week depending on what we like to hear
There is an actual link to analyst report (and it's done not by him) with details, where everyone can read justification (there are a lot of ifs for this 200 mil number, it's just an assumption of the very best scenario), unlike the last week with "anonimous sources" with no details.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Looks like the PS5 base has a hole in it to allow it be screwed down onto a table, securing it in place. Nice if so. Unless its just for a tiny bit of airflow or something. But it looks like it could be used to screw the base down.

9ANgZI0.jpg

ArF2zJx.jpg
So looking at the bottom again I think I finally figured out the M.2 SSD expansion bay.

There appears to be a circular button in the middle of the bottom plate, below the sticker. The panel with the sticker could be removed by pressing that button, unlocking the panel and then removing it to access the expansion bay inside (behind it.)

Notice the seams around the plate with the label sticker on it. It looks like it could be removed to access the internals.

Also side note- the label clearly just says Dolby Audio, not Atmos. Same DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD support as PS4.

JRsLLKu.jpg
If you look at the hole in the base, you can notice that there is a wider circular indentation on the bottom side. This means that is the side where the head of the screw is lodged. So the hole is not to screw the base to the table from above, but to the PS5 from below (which makes sense, since the console is very tall and could produce a lot of leverage when standing vertical, definitely more than those two decentered flappy plastic hooks can hold on their own).

Consequently, the "button" at the bottom is most likely just a detatchable piece of rubber that keeps the screw hole closed when the console is held horizontally and the base is not attached on that side (you most likely don't have to screw it in when the console is horizontal, since the possible leverage is much lower and the PS5 is a lot more stable already).

Last edited:

kensama

~I am really beginning to think there is some sort of mental issue with some of these xbox fanatics, Why are there so many of them, i don't see this kinda of retard level on the ps5 side, am i looking in the wrong places or something.

sure you get extreme fans but this is more than that, this is like some sort of neanderthal obsession, " you woman come cave now", "Me no like me smash", "xbox has no games but is best."

What is happening?

The weirdest thing from extreme Xbox fanboys (not to be confused with xbox fans) is that they spend more time speaking about PS5 than Xbox series X. It's an obsession.

Rea

I think Xbox Series S is overpriced piece of garbage from Microsoft. When it's compare to PS5 or Series X, they are significantly more powerful and only cost extra 200$ than Series s. Microsoft is ripping people off to take back what is lost from Series X. I feel that Microsoft lost more on Series X and it is totally worth money. It's even worse when compared to the PS5 DE version, u get 2.5 times more powerful GPU, more than 2 times faster I/O, more ram, for Just only 100$ extra. I don't know why and cannot believe most people think Microsoft is losing money on Series S. It should only cost about 249.

jimbojim

Banned
Hey look! Its the same tech reporter for bloomberg that was ridiculed just last week when he broke the "50% ps5 cores unstable" news.

Today's lesson is: How credibility changes within a week depending on what we like to hear

Hey, look :

Sony: We’ll have more PS5s than we did PS4s at launch

So, more than 4.5 mil. units till end of 2020. To me, looks like PS5 production is on schedule

Btw. 50% yields doesn't mean half of the all wafers are wasted. It just means that batch of wafer had this issue. Later batches can have much higher yields.

Didn't AMD few days ago said that PS5 production is going fine? Can't find the link

Edit: oh, there it is :

AMD Denies PS5 Manufacturing Problems

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Hey, look :

Sony: We’ll have more PS5s than we did PS4s at launch

So, more than 4.5 mil. units till end of 2020. To me, looks like PS5 production is on schedule

Btw. 50% yields doesn't mean half of the all wafers are wasted. It just means that batch of wafer had this issue. Later batches can have much higher yields.

Didn't AMD few days ago said that PS5 production is going fine? Can't find the link
The tweet is bullshit.
-PS5 price on par with XsX surprise; thought PS5 be $50-$100 higher due to backward compatibility with PS4 and big PS5 titles
This discredits the whole thing.
The yeild thing was bullshit too, Sony and AMD said it was fake.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

How does this sound.... A playstation nostalgia collection that will get a PS5 full Remaster, starting with PS 1 classics such as Sillent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout...🤔

user1337

So looking at the bottom again I think I finally figured out the M.2 SSD expansion bay.

There appears to be a circular button in the middle of the bottom plate, below the sticker. The panel with the sticker could be removed by pressing that button, unlocking the panel and then removing it to access the expansion bay inside (behind it.)

Notice the seams around the plate with the label sticker on it. It looks like it could be removed to access the internals.

Also side note- the label clearly just says Dolby Audio, not Atmos. Same DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD support as PS4.

JRsLLKu.jpg
I think the circular button isn't really a button but rather just a cover that reveals a docking slot for the "stand" . Just a guess.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
How does this sound.... A playstation nostalgia collection that will get a PS5 full Remaster, starting with PS 1 classics such as Sillent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout...🤔
If they were clever they would have sorted out the licensing for PS5 versions of all the PS1 games that appeared on the PS Classic when they were sorting that out. This would have helped achieve something like you are talking about. Unfortunately I doubt they thought of doing that 🤦‍♂️

I wouldn't mind then doing similar to Nintendo online and having PS1 and PS2 titles go into the the PS+ Collection, with nice emulation. I'd take any kind of support/recognition of their old games at this point.

Edit: Sorry I misread your original post. You are talking of full remakes. Hopefully we get both.

Last edited:

Felessan

Backwards compatible with PS5 titles. Series X BC was free, PS5s costs 50-100 $ more because of it.
Seems legit.
It's legit, but you might want to read actual analytic paper, and not just twitter remarks about it.
Xbox was mentioned once in article and it was to compare value proposition. This analyst think that having ps4 backcatalog and big ps5 titles easily justify having 50-100$ more in pricing. And he have a point.
Starting from there xbox is just forgotten, never mentioned anymore, and the whole point of 200 mil is an assumption of possibility that ps5 will be able to cannibalize PC esport (essentially f2p) market with it's "high performance low price" proposition.

HAL-01

I think i've found the difference between Demon's Souls High graphics vs High framerate modes
Here's a shot from the latest 60fps trailer (frame taken from highest quality available)

X81z0nf.png

And here's a shot from the same area, from an official screenshot released a few weeks ago:

MWwUHbu.jpg

Color temperature differences aside, you may notice the first shot's environment ambient shadows are much softer and less defined than the latter, giving the castle a blurrier look. You may also notice some lighting effects are turned up, like atmospheric light scattering, more accurate soft shadows and generally more accurate lighting on the characters (compare detail and speculars on shield).

I believe the people at sony/bluepoint wanted to dispel any rumors about "performance" modes looking bad, so they showed the 4K60fps gameplay knowing we'd be impressed with it, even though they have an even better looking version coming up.

TBiddy

Honest question. What is the deal with BC on the PS5?

I plan to get the PS5 DE "soon", so I can enjoy the great games I missed on the PS4 (and play next-gen games, of course). From what I gather, 99% of the PS4 games should work on the PS5, but are there any enhancements? If the games play as-is, without improved resolution or frame-rate, I might as well get a cheap PS4 and then wait a few years before buying the PS5. If I buy the games digitally for the PS4, I assume they will be available for me on the PS5 as well?

I think i've found the difference between Demon's Souls High graphics vs High framerate modes
Here's a shot from the latest 60fps trailer (frame taken from highest quality available)

X81z0nf.png

And here's a shot from the same area, from an official screenshot released a few weeks ago:

MWwUHbu.jpg

Color temperature differences aside, you may notice the first shot's environment ambient shadows are much softer and less defined than the latter, giving the castle a blurrier look. You may also notice some lighting effects are turned up, like atmospheric light scattering, more accurate soft shadows and generally more accurate lighting on the characters (compare detail and speculars on shield).

I believe the people at sony/bluepoint wanted to dispel any rumors about "performance" modes looking bad, so they showed the 4K60fps gameplay knowing we'd be impressed with it, even though they have an even better looking version coming up.

This is interesting.

The trailer must have been at half 4K resolution but upscaled using internal hardware. It was a pretty convincing 4K, definitely worth the resolution hit for 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom