• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!!

I've kept you appraised of all the goings-on...this past Friday we found a new home with a not just a potential game room, but also a place for her to do her gardening and everything she wanted.

An old home belonging to an elderly couple who passed..my wife loved it so much she was ready to end our search. No bids, on the market for almost two months. It was immaculately well cared for, but people don't like old fashioned it seems.

3 agonizingly long days later waiting, the call came and they accepted us. If everything goes to plan, I'll turn the PS5 on in our very first home.

I'm getting both day 1.
I will be playing COD, Valhalla, CyberPunk on X because better,
I am not interested on Demon's remake, and I sure as hell ain't forking 80e to sony for Destruction or Miles.
I ain't reviewing or selling shit also.
So, according to your way of thinking, I'm getting the ps5 just to have one?
Nope, what I meant was that he was pretty vocal about don't needing the console because he already plays everything on PC but he was going to buy it anyway just to review it. I know there is people who don't play on PC that is getting the console to play everything there, I wasn't saying everybody was going to do the same thing, sorry if it seemed like that.

We'll see. The X1 and XSX will be running the same UI, not the same core OS code, hence XSX running in a leaner 2.5GB of system memory. With SSD space being precious, we'll see how well optimized everything is. Price and availability of additional storage is definitely going to be a consideration for this gen, a day one priority for many.
Please guys stop complaining about the size of the SSD of any of the new consoles.

Just 18 months ago we still thought the new consoles will not have a SSD of more than 512 GB even some people
think the hybrid solution was more reasonable don't even think a fast SSD, remember the prices of an SSD of more
than 500 MB/s are much more than a HDD.

You can delete the games you don't need without worry of delete the progress of the same and please nobody is
playing more of 2 titles in the same time you have enough space to even save some of them.

I know everyone want to have 2 TB of capacity but think each company is losing money per console is one few
product you can buy where you can say the price is below what should be.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Very wierd. We don't have accessories in KSA. If they don't bring them by release. I will drive to this Geekay store. There is one 40 minutes drive from my home ( in Bahrain 🤣🤣🤣)

I need further details about the controller, it should support Bluetooth 5.1 like the PS5 console, but does it support LDAC for high quality audio? 990kbps compared to other 320kbps bitrate. I could still use my Astro A40 through the controller if so, but would buy the Pulse 3D for better bass and sealing (leather instead of fabric).

kyliethicc

Looks like the PS5 base has a hole in it to allow it be screwed down onto a table, securing it in place. Nice if so. Unless its just for a tiny bit of airflow or something. But it looks like it could be used to screw the base down.

9ANgZI0.jpg

ArF2zJx.jpg

I need further details about the controller, it should support Bluetooth 5.1 like the PS5 console, but does it support LDAC for high quality audio? 990kbps compared to other 320kbps bitrate. I could still use my Astro A40 through the controller if so, but would buy the Pulse 3D for better bass and sealing (leather instead of fabric).
I want this Pulse 3d. It is probably as good as those $500 ones 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
The audio from the controller may not be that good. Don't hope for anything here.

Last edited:
Nope, what I meant was that he was pretty vocal about don't needing the console because he already plays everything on PC but he was going to buy it anyway just to review it. I know there is people who don't play on PC that is getting the console to play everything there, I wasn't saying everybody was going to do the same thing, sorry if it seemed like that.
(y)
Rule is boys like toys.
But youtubers that have big followings, for them its more "business" & views than anything else.

B_Boss

It's PushSquare. Reading this was like reading PureXbox back when Infinite showed its outdated visuals and just ok gameplay in the trailer. They're trying to make us believe that Horizon 2 will take full advantage of the PS5 (which is utter horseshit) in order to help Sony ensure sales.

I figured that portion of the article that I quoted expressed a bit doubt. I could be reading it wrong for sure.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's like $399 😂.
I don't see a reason for it not to be compatible. I think someone should ask Sony to clarify.

The 1000XM3 didn't work well with PS4, and when connected to the controller it's only 2.0 stereo. Now the Tempest 3D already uses native 2.0 stereo with no bullshit, and the controller and console use Bluetooth 5.1 (Xbox uses 5.0, not sure what's the difference though), so any 2.0 channel stereo should work perfectly with PS5, even the 1987 Sony professional headsets.

MDR7506

81TzTAx8weL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Would probably buy those for productivity proposes. It's said that those could register ridiculously low sounds and still have extremely crisp sound quality. It's still famous until now.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The 1000XM3 didn't work well with PS4, and when connect to the controller it's only 2.0 stereo. Now the Tempest 3D already uses native 2.0 stereo with no bullshit, and the controller and console use Bluetooth 5.1 (Xbox uses 5.0, not sure what's the difference though), so any 2.0 channel stereo should work perfectly with PS5, even the 1987 Sony professional headsets.

MDR7506

81TzTAx8weL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Would probably buy those for productivity proposes. It's said that those could register ridiculously low sounds and still have extremely crisp sound quality. It's still famous until now.
These are great headphones. I have had a pair for 6-7 years now. Love them. Only bummer is because they sound so accurate, I can hear all the imperfections in any audio source thats bad quality or mixed poorly. But a great value, and durable.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have never understood the mentality of shitting on another product to make you feel good about the product you buy.

This World is fucked up enough especially this year why try to piss people off over a plastic box?

I dont get it

Imagine making the calmest member in the forum snap. I mean, I would expect Mark Cerny himself to storm in if this crap continues. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

kyliethicc

The second photo only proves that it's one base for vertical and horizontal stances.
Yeah its the same base, the extension clip rotates to be different spot depending on how the console is oriented.

But it looks like that hole goes all the way through, allowing the base to be screwed or nailed down to a table. Idk, looks like that to me at least.

AGRacing

Yeah its the same base, the extension clip rotates to be different spot depending on how the console is oriented.

But it looks like that hole goes all the way through, allowing the base to be screwed or nailed down to a table. Idk, looks like that to me at least.

It's likely for a thumb screw to connect the base to the console in vertical orientation (as was done in the last console). You won't be screwing your base into the shelf.

kyliethicc

It's likely for a thumb screw to connect the base to the console in vertical orientation (as was done in the last console). You won't be screwing your base into the shelf.
That could be, but it doesn't appear to have a hole anywhere on the console to accept that screw. But you might be correct, good point.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bots play a significant role in the shortages of PS5

To avoid those bots, it's better to have the person physically in the shop, tied to his name and phone number. It's enough time to collect all of them, then send the consoles to their homes or call them. I'll do that as well tomorrow.

It could be something about preorders opening again in much larger quantities than initially.

That fits as it gives peace of mind when retailers do open back up, somewhat. Also, Geoff kinda jumped the gun on Sony last time.

They can't be too happy with him and maybe that's why he deleted it, no matter what it is.

In Brazil, Ps5 has been sol
I still don't totally get that, if someone will buy PS5 in 6 months or a year, will he still have access to those games?

Im not getting it...

Do I need to own all these games First or I could get any of them for free by Just subscribing to ps plus?

kyliethicc

So looking at the bottom again I think I finally figured out the M.2 SSD expansion bay.

There appears to be a circular button in the middle of the bottom plate, below the sticker. The panel with the sticker could be removed by pressing that button, unlocking the panel and then removing it to access the expansion bay inside (behind it.)

Notice the seams around the plate with the label sticker on it. It looks like it could be removed to access the internals.

Also side note- the label clearly just says Dolby Audio, not Atmos. Same DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD support as PS4.

JRsLLKu.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So looking at the bottom again I think I finally figured out the M.2 SSD expansion bay.

There appears to be a circular button in the middle of the bottom plate, below the sticker. The panel with the sticker could be removed by pressing that button, unlocking the panel and then removing it to access the expansion bay inside (behind it.)

Notice the seams around the plate with the label sticker on it. It looks like it could be removed to access the internals.

Also side note- the label clearly just says Dolby Audio, not Atmos. Same DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD support as PS4.

JRsLLKu.jpg

Sony doesn't use 7.1/5.1 channel audio I think, and if it does it should be an afterthought while keeping it barebone. Tempest 3D Audio is true 3D audio as we know, so no need to those simulations.

Why is anyone debating storage size when that's going to be the easiest and cheapest thing to fix? just get a 5TB external HDD for $110 and swap games around when you aren't playing them, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to replace an internal SSD or spending $220 for 1TB of extra storage for these consoles.

Looks like the PS5 base has a hole in it to allow it be screwed down onto a table, securing it in place. Nice if so. Unless its just for a tiny bit of airflow or something. But it looks like it could be used to screw the base down.

9ANgZI0.jpg

ArF2zJx.jpg

actually you may have it backwards. If that is a screw hole you are meant to screw it in from the bottom picture through. It’s why the indentation is on that side it’s so you can have the screw head sit flush.

if that is actually a screw location are they going to ask you to fasten them together?

kyliethicc

Sony doesn't use 7.1/5.1 channel audio I think, and if it does it should be an afterthought while keeping it barebone. Tempest 3D Audio is true 3D audio as we know, so no need to those simulations.
PS3, PS4, and PS5 support DTS and Dolby 5.1, 7.1, and DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, which can be 5.1 or 7.1 and are loseless codecs. Its important for Blu-ray playback, home theater use, and most games include at least a basic Dolby or DTS 5.1 mix. Of course, there is also the option to just output Linear PCM at 2.0, 5.1, or 7.1.

Tempest 3D will be great for games, but it might be supported by all games. Just like how Xbox advertises Atmos for games, but only some games support it. I highly doubt it will be designed to replace DTS or Dolby, and it will likely not be loseless. Very few games can afford to use a loseless audio codec for game audio because it would bloat the file size and file up the game disc very quickly. And most users can't listen to those formats anyways.

Sony could easily just apply their audio algorithms over the LPCM output from games and therefore mix it up or down to headphones, stereo speakers, multi-channle surround sets, etc. It will be interesting to see if game developers need to create a Tempest 3D audio mix themselves, or if the PS5 system itself can create that from any game audio track as a system level output.

Games in general make it very unclear what audio codecs and formats they support or are mixed in, which can be confusing for me sometimes.

I currently select DTS 5.1 in the PS4 audio menu, and my Sony surround receiver says its decoding a DTS 5.1 signal for all games I play. But I wonder if thats something the PS4 is doing at a system level or if every developer has to mix that themselves and provide those in the game file.

kyliethicc

actually you may have it backwards. If that is a screw hole you are meant to screw it in from the bottom picture through. It’s why the indentation is on that side it’s so you can have the screw head sit flush.

if that is actually a screw location are they going to ask you to fasten them together?
yeah idk, you're probably right, it does look that way.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PS3, PS4, and PS5 support DTS and Dolby 5.1, 7.1, and DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, which can be 5.1 or 7.1 and are loseless codecs. Its important for Blu-ray playback, home theater use, and most games include at least a basic Dolby or DTS 5.1 mix. Of course, there is also the option to just output Linear PCM at 2.0, 5.1, or 7.1.

Tempest 3D will be great for games, but it might be supported by all games. Just like how Xbox advertises Atmos for games, but only some games support it. I highly doubt it will be designed to replace DTS or Dolby, and it will likely not be loseless. Very few games can afford to use a loseless audio codec for game audio because it would bloat the file size and file up the game disc very quickly. And most users can't listen to those formats anyways.

Sony could easily just apply their audio algorithms over the LPCM output from games and therefore mix it up or down to headphones, stereo speakers, multi-channle surround sets, etc. It will be interesting to see if game developers need to create a Tempest 3D audio mix themselves, or if the PS5 system itself can create that from any game audio track as a system level output.

Games in general make it very unclear what audio codecs and formats they support or are mixed in, which can be confusing for me sometimes.

I currently select DTS 5.1 in the PS4 audio menu, and my Sony surround receiver says its decoding a DTS 5.1 signal for all games I play. But I wonder if thats something the PS4 is doing at a system level or if every developer has to mix that themselves and provide those in the game file.

I mean, I don't like COD, but the latest PS5 demo at 4K@60fps with RT and the sounds are amazing! Imagine what we get when we listen to them natively on PS5!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why is anyone debating storage size when that's going to be the easiest and cheapest thing to fix? just get a 5TB external HDD for $110 and swap games around when you aren't playing them, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to replace an internal SSD or spending $220 for 1TB of extra storage for these consoles.

If you have good internet connection, it's way easier to just delete them and download them instead of using HDD that could take up to 10-12 hours straight. Just keep the save files (small anyway) and delete the games, download them when you really think you need them. But would suggest SATA3 SSD instead of HDD.

Reactions: Rea
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom