• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What's the proof of this? MS showed us the game when everyone was hyping it up everywhere. Clearly there was no mention of any delay at the time. The delay only came after the backlash, disappointment and all the Craig memes.

Brad Sams also heard from sources that Halo Infinite's engineering and marketing teams are on different wavelengths. The engineering team wants more time to get the game in a better place, he said, while marketing efforts have persisted. Even after the Halo Infinite delay to 2021, Microsoft announced a marketing deal with Monster Energy.

Gediminas

Banned
How sad do people have to be to dig up more than four year old tweets, just to defend their favorite corporation?

Jesus.
yes, what a shock, you have to own your words. that is very unreasonable when you are sane adult.

but yeah, it is xbox emo, so people around it are the same.

i don't see where and who is defending something? tweets out there to expose his hypocrisy. stop whinning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
yes, what a shock, you have to own your words. that is very unreasonable when you are sane adult.

i don't see where and who is defending something? tweets out there to expose his hypocrisy. stop winning.
It's hard to stop winning when Microsoft keeps making these great moves for their fanbase.

5Lp5yuo.gif

Rea

I really wonder, how Microsoft gonna scoop back that 7.5 billions from customers, it didn't fall from the sky, someone has to pay. Also, i don't like their Netflix gaming strategy future. High quality blockbuster contents and Subscription quality contents don't come together, something has to be compromised.

SaucyJack

People keep saying Sony should retaliate, but given Sony's own track record with studios, I'd say they should restore what was lost first before acquiring anything new, imo.

Sony don't need to “retaliate” at all. For all this being a big acquisition it doesn’t really solve Xbox's immediate problems regarding its pipeline of games being very bare over the next 1-2 years. There’s a degree of risk in the Zenimax acquisition too, they’ve not really been the most productive publisher/developer over the last generation but they do own some great ip.

I'm sure that Sony have a studio acquisition/expansion strategy already and will just stick to it. We know they’ve got money, and we know they were willing to go into the billions for Leyou.

But Sony's style would be to pick up the likes of Housemarque, Bluepoint, etc., Studios they have a long history with, and grow more organically.

I don't see them going as big as MS, but I could easily see them spending the $$ for Kadokawa ($1.5-2 bn) as it would fit their Anime strategy.

TBiddy

i don't see where and who is defending something? tweets out there to expose his hypocrisy. stop whinning.

You're right that people are "emo" when it comes to Xbox. It's very obvious in this thread - unfortunately, Sony fans seems to be taking the Bethesda-news very heavily, and it would probably be good for the forum as a whole, if they relaxed a bit.

In case you were wondering, it's not about "owning your words". It's about how sad it is that people actually bother going four fucking years back in someones Twitter-history to find a contradictory tweet. I'm not referring to the poster here on Gaf, but rather the guys on Twitter who did it, if that wasn't obvious.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Someone should have told the studio head.

We’re in the homestretch now and the team is working hard to put all the pieces together and polish the game while still navigating unprecedented challenges in our personal and professional lives. There’s a lot of work to be done, but I’m so proud of how much the team has accomplished and the tremendous progress being made every day. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we focus on the road to holiday.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned

Series S is still available. It's been 24 hours.

Of course. Casuals don’t preorder. Also, MS has a huge stock for xss and xsx. They don’t have any yield issues that’s why they are also releasing worldwide on the same date.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
it’s certainly a BIG move. Time will tell whether it’s a great move.

What does it give you in the short term?
Nothing. I'm only buying the XSX for my backlog. 2021 will be Halo and 2022 is when we start seeing 2-3 proper exclusives coming out. From 2023 the I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of great games coming out every year

Sorry for double post.

I need to go back to this specific screenshot I've made previously. This is probably the most raytraced screenshot! Just look at the details of the textures on the wall casting dynamic, raytraced shadows! Overall graphics is wonderful! I think Sony should first acquire Bluepoint, and let them produce their own game for the first time!

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h37m50s520.png

This is the screenshot I liked the most from your thread! I love the GPU accelerated particle effects, the shadows are soft and realistic as expected of ray tracing and the texture work is indeed on par with the very best we've seen in actual games. Are the textures on par with UE5? Hard to say if they are movie quality, but they are absolutely the finest of quality we've seen in-game.

Last edited:

DrDamn

it’s certainly a BIG move. Time will tell whether it’s a great move.

What does it give you in the short term?

A load of games they can start adding to GamePass right away?

I'm looking forward to having stuff like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dishonored series added to my backlog as I haven't played them yet (well not the special edition of Skyrim). I guess I might be in the minority there but still :)

DrDamn

So now the Bethesda announcement dust has settled can we get back to badgering MS to actually show something of substance running on XSX? I mean it's 6 weeks away, I've pre-ordered one of the things, I was expecting some sort of event/showing before pre-orders started. Why haven't they shown anything yet? Why aren't the gaming press making more of a thing of this, it's pretty unprecedented isn't it?

I don't understand the overreactions about the Zenimax/Bethesda deal.
It's a huge deal that's for sure. Lots of great IP's and Studios.

Recouping 7.5 billion will be tough task if MSFT is going to drop ~30%(number is tales from my ass, don't ask for sources) of Zenimax/Bethesdas current customers.
Shows that MSFT is really serious about GamePass. (I think they should drop the Xbox branding from Gamepass, might be easier sell to PC gamers, and potential streaming customers)

Series S is still available. It's been 24 hours.

Here both x/s are available after 26 hours to get one on launch or 1.12

Meanwhile new PS5 orders will be filled january -march 2021.

PaintTinJr

Congratulations for your kids, but you are dead wrong and offending by calling me a SCALPER!
Neither PS5 is for reselling. One is for me, one is for another family member.

Then, your definition of which games are to be enjoyed and how, ... cool and all, but its just your definition.
Also, you seem to miss the fact that gamepass is not just about availability. more than that its about providing value to a platform.
You can enjoy all games that will be on gamepass in your 75'' dolby vision panel & home theatre, not just your mobile or your laptop.

Lastly, its like you said, a "next-gen sales pitch" for sony. And if you are calling yourself someone who "has been gaming for so long that has reached a zen", I suggest you re-think how for example a ps3-gen remake, with exactly the same gameplay, has you considering it "cutting edge next gen gameplay", or even what is "next-gen gameplay" on miles morales extension, because maybe, just maybe that sony sales pitch is good enough to trick you and your zen, like I generally said in the post you quoted.

my two cents
Sorry, I was being sarcastic, and had hoped the relaxed tone in my comments to you would have let that shone through, but a combination of sarcasm being difficult to do on the internet - although I would say a lot of fellow neogaf commenters are the best I've ever read at conveying it - but it seems warrior-ing or something else has made you a little defensive, so don't worry about it. Enjoy the games at launch on your PS5.

As for my gaming away from a console/TV combination as a issue, you sort of missed the point. I'm saying you can't just buy up or create games for console and automatically assume because they'll run on xCloud and can be subbed by Gamepass, you can successfully target a larger market than your 25-50 million console userbase with that software. The switch only works as a solution because Nintendo design the games as handheld, and even that is broken when you have a docked user on TV/Projector competing at MK8 DX with friends on Lites - as coin pickup and general depth perception/reaction time is different at different screen sizes. Ultimately a designer has to choose which experience to sacrifice. My assertion is that just like smartphone games are a distinct market from console, gamepass/xCloud will face the same problem, and based on software xbox is paying to develop, they'll ultimately abandon solutions below 8" IMHO.

As for Sony's next-gen pitch, I was meaning Road to PS5 with UE5 Demo, but obviously Demon's Souls graphics are next-gen even when viewing the youtube 4K stream on my KD-65ZD9, so much so that the better half commented that it looked impressive and had a 3D stereovision look because of how good the depth perception was with the lighting. I sadly never finished it on PS3, because the button to toggle z-targeting couldn't be reassigned, and in one of the boss battles, the big guy with shield, I would get killed repeatedly(30x or more) in the thick of the action because the z-targeting would disengage from an accidental click on the L3 button - so looking forward to playing it to completion with the ability to assign a normal shoulder button for z-targetting.

Redlight

Recouping 7.5 billion will be tough task if MSFT is going to drop ~30%(number is tales from my ass, don't ask for sources) of Zenimax/Bethesdas current customers.
Shows that MSFT is really serious about GamePass. (I think they should drop the Xbox branding from Gamepass, might be easier sell to PC gamers, and potential streaming customers)
There is no overreaction. It's the sudden and unexpected acquisition that puts Xbox in the leading pack of IP holders. It's game changing good new for Xbox customers and bad news for Playstation customers. It's being treated as a megaton by both sides because it is.

I've got a feeling that Sony and Xbox might both still have a few cards up their sleeves too.

FunkMiller

Nothing. I'm only buying the XSX for my backlog. 2021 will be Halo and 2022 is when we start seeing 2-3 proper exclusives coming out. From 2023 the I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of great games coming out every year

Which is when more people will buy a Series X, but not before.

I understand XBox fans being excited about the Bethesda acquisition, but it’s not going to pay real dividends for a long time.

The question is, by that stage, how dominant will Ps5 be?

Because all this talk of Bethesda games being exclusive to XBox goes totally out of the window if the Ps5 install base is twice as large again.

Last edited:
A load of games they can start adding to GamePass right away?

I'm looking forward to having stuff like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dishonored series added to my backlog as I haven't played them yet (well not the special edition of Skyrim). I guess I might be in the minority there but still :)

I appreciate that but you dont buy a $500 console to play years old PC games. So the Bethesda buy makes headlines and may change perceptions but changes very little for Series X first year or two on the market.

Mr Moose

There is no overreaction. It's the sudden and unexpected acquisition that puts Xbox in the leading pack of IP holders. It's game changing good new for Xbox customers and bad news for Playstation customers. It's being treated as a megaton by both sides because it is.

I've got a feeling that Sony and Xbox might both still have a few cards up their sleeves too.
Big for sure, though they take so long on their big games I'll probably be dead by the time the next Elder Scrolls comes out.
That, for me (Elder Scrolls) is the only one I'd care about a bit, Skyrim was fun. Fallout 4 was a bit meh, and I hear 76 is dog shit (I own it but never bothered to play it).
It's really good for GamesPass, that added value for it is huge (unless they were already on it).
Seems perhaps the last Bethesda game(s) I get will be Ghostwire: Tokyo and maybe Deathloop if that's any good. Let's see what they do with the future big games, if they'll be "exclusive" or put on multiple consoles.

Redlight

Big for sure, though they take so long on their big games I'll probably be dead by the time the next Elder Scrolls comes out.
That, for me (Elder Scrolls) is the only one I'd care about a bit, Skyrim was fun. Fallout 4 was a bit meh, and I hear 76 is dog shit (I own it but never bothered to play it).
It's really good for GamesPass, that added value for it is huge (unless they were already on it).
Seems perhaps the last Bethesda game(s) I get will be Ghostwire: Tokyo and maybe Deathloop if that's any good. Let's see what they do with the future big games, if they'll be "exclusive" or put on multiple consoles.
Well, if you're only interested in the two ZenimaX games that'll be on Playstation in the near future then I've got very good news for you.

Me? I love Dishonoured, Wolfenstein and Doom. I'll also be happy to give the next Elder Scrolls, Starfield and Fallout games a red hot go because, well, for Gamepass subscribers they'll be free, won't they?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Well, if you're only interested in the two ZenimaX games that'll be on Playstation in the near future then I've got very good news for you.

Me? I love Dishonoured, Wolfenstein and Doom. I'll also be happy to give the next Elder Scrolls, Starfield and Fallout games a red hot go because, well, for Gamepass subscribers they'll be free, won't they?
I should probably attempt to finish Dishonoured 2 :messenger_weary:

ksdixon

Sony don't need to “retaliate” at all. For all this being a big acquisition it doesn’t really solve Xbox's immediate problems regarding its pipeline of games being very bare over the next 1-2 years. There’s a degree of risk in the Zenimax acquisition too, they’ve not really been the most productive publisher/developer over the last generation but they do own some great ip.

I'm sure that Sony have a studio acquisition/expansion strategy already and will just stick to it. We know they’ve got money, and we know they were willing to go into the billions for Leyou.

But Sony's style would be to pick up the likes of Housemarque, Bluepoint, etc., Studios they have a long history with, and grow more organically.

I don't see them going as big as MS, but I could easily see them spending the $$ for Kadokawa ($1.5-2 bn) as it would fit their Anime strategy.

Kodokawa would obviously also net them FROM...

What's happening with the anime side of things? I think I read that Sony own part of Funimation and CrunchyRoll is going bankrupt, so Sony were rumored to be consolidating the anime streaming services together?

DrDamn

I appreciate that but you dont buy a $500 console to play years old PC games. So the Bethesda buy makes headlines and may change perceptions but changes very little for Series X first year or two on the market.

True, but it was a correct answer to what it gives me in the short term :). I agree that for a lot of people that means the answer is "not a lot".

ksdixon

As everybody predicted. Xbox produced an extremely limited amount of xbox's to express "extreme demand" while Sony tweeted mainly to apologies for not meetings demands and catastrophic preorders, websites crashing everywhere.

That was a dick move by Walmart tbh. Once they went, everyone did. And what can Sony say, realistically? "Sorry everyone, Walmart fucked us."

Thirty7ven

Banned

The news is specifically big for PlayStation fans. Truth is nothing has changed for PC and Xbox fans, or rather the only thing that has changed for them is knowing they will be able to play those games through Gamepass.

It’s such an aggressive, industry shaking move. Discussion and debate around it is warranted. From multiple POVs.

Microsoft clearly isn’t fucking around with gamepass, so that will be interesting to see develop. I can’t complain too much, I’m going to get my cut out of all of this, but still, there’s a level of perversion in this deal that is typical from an American tech company. Halo, Gears of War, Minecraft , RARE ips and now ZeniMax, it’s incredible how every big IP they own aside from a couple of exceptions, was bought instead of built. But hey, that’s business.

That said, just like the gift that paid online was, Gamepass success will be another MS gift. I wonder what it will mean for the price of Xbox first party games, in the sense that there will be little to no incentive to sell them at large discounts after they are on the market for a minute. Keep the prices up, convince people to rent them via Gamepass instead.

But my biggest problem are these morons in the games media, who keep making their little narratives and being a bunch of hypocrites. The way English speaking media codes the language is too much. See you can apparently play games for free through Gamepass, you gonna get all those games for FREE. Actually it’s a rental service you pay for thank you very much. Sony locking out a userbase from a game for a period of time or a character is anti consumer, but when MS buys Bethesda for 7.5 billy, they are not only saving them(lol) but they are also going to shower their IPs for FREE.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Of course. Casuals don’t preorder. Also, MS has a huge stock for xss and xsx. They don’t have any yield issues that’s why they are also releasing worldwide on the same date.

I'm sure you know that most retailers, at least in Europe, had a bigger stock of PS5's than they had for the Xbox consoles, right? And even with less stock, they took way longer to sell out, where they sold out.

Seems like the yield issues may be on MS camp.

zaitsu

Banned
So in Poland XSS and XSX after 26h available in every store.
In polish mediamarkt for PS5 before they deleted it, counter was 40.000 and it was 12h after starting preorders. Now after 26h for XSX counter was around 400 on media Markt, like on polish "amazon" Allegro. Two biggest retailers sold together 800 XSX and maybe 100 XSS

Rumors are that whole Poland preordered 100.000 PS5 and about 2.000 both new Xboxes.

I think before 2022 MS will have as hard as it gets to sell anything outside US.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

The console war is one big pool of hypocrisy - most people change their opinion based on what their preferred company does or does not do.
Easy on that "most" there, buddy. Maybe on gaming forums, but IRL, there are a lot of agnostics. I'm PS only, but only because the games brought me there. I've only had 1 console at any given time. Went from 2600 -> NES -> Genny -> SNES -> PS1 -> PS2 -> GC -> PS3 -> PS4 -> PS5. Loved Nintendo. Loved Sega Sports, so got a Genny. Zelda drew me back to Nintendo. Couldn't wait for the N64, so got a PS1, and was won over by the library. So I stuck with PS until my PS2 broke (my fault). So, I gave the GC a spin for Mario Sunshine, Zelda, and B:G&E. Went back to the PS afterwards, because Sony's first party made a splash on the PS2, and has kept me since.

I imagine many gamers wander from console to console during their lives, not much caring who makes the machine, but more being drawn in by particular titles that are available at the time of purchase. I was more of a console warrior in the Sega v. Nintendo days, and while Sega was getting Dreamcasted. But I'm still an anomaly, as I discuss gaming online. My college friends had an N64, and we spent tons of time playing Turok, Goldeneye, and others on that. Later, we had lots of TTT, MLB, Live, and Madden sessions on my PS2. I never once heard any of my friends herald one system as being better than another. They just enjoyed the act of playing games, but didn't have any real allegiances. That's an enthusiast thing, but we're vastly outnumbered in the userbase.

Nowadays, I game on my phone and laptop. I traded away my PS4 in exchange for assistance with getting my work visa. I'll only get a PS5, because Sony surpassed Nintendo as my favorite first party games a couple decades ago. Without their first party offerings, I'd still be playing Nintendo games, and would probably have a better gaming PC to handle the 3rd party stuff. I'd like to think that "most people" can enjoy games for what they are, instead of which platform they're on.

TrippleA345

So in Poland XSS and XSX after 26h available in every store.
In polish mediamarkt for PS5 before they deleted counter was 40.000 and it was 12h after starting preorders. Now after 26h for XSX counter was around 400 like on polish "amazon" Allegro. Two biggest retailers sold together 800 XSX and maybe 100 XSS

Rumors are that whole Poland preordered 100.000 PS5 and about 2.000 both new Xboxes.

I think before 2022 MS will have as hard as it gets to sell anything outside US.

Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom