• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinoD

Xbox is a very weak brand outside North America. People just don't care...
One store in Poland has 40K PS5 pre-orders and a few hundred Xbox pre-orders.
PlayStation still sell more than Xbox in north america too by a fair margin.

I see Xbox going the service route but I don't think they have figured out their lack of popularity outside the US and that is a huge issue.

Psst! Microsoft will hear you, and then go and buy even more studios.

Sinthor

Gold Member
From who? Sony? You expect them to say anything after this announcement so quickly? That's not how it works. I'm sure they're talking about it now if they didn't know it was coming already. I'm thinking they already knew which is why they've been so quiet lately with minimum information. If they have anything to drop some nuclear bombs now is the time to do it.

Sony probably doesn't have anything and/or will do nothing about this announcement. They're in a good position internally anyway they don't really need a big purchase or anything close to this really. It just puts Xbox more on equal footing with them assuming they can up their quality internally.

Nah, from ANYONE, really. It still just feels like we're starved for news and info, somehow.

kyliethicc

First impressions matter. If Sony wants to impress the masses with the first look at the PS5 UI, they need to wait until the software and games are just almost ready to launch. System software will need polishing right up to launch (and a day 1 update.)

I expect we won't see the PS5 UI until Sony is confident they can really impress everyone with the speed. Cause if the first impression is anything other than "wow thats fast" then they will have failed that showing.

Redlight

PlayStations strength is in hardware sales, they are not a service based company, I think they will stick to console. A console under your TV is a constant reminder to use it. Apps are nothing but MS is a software and service company... it fits.
I don't know how long it will take but I fear that game consoles will go the way of the blu-ray and CD player. In the end people will be able to play the latest games without purchasing any specific hardware.

That would be crazy if PlayStation loses Persona and Nintendo loses Shin Megami Tensei.

Yup. I'm a big fan of the Persona games and Yakuza. Glad I secured a pre-order for XseX today with my PS5 from the other day.

If I'm being super honest though...it would be a terrible move. It's just not a good fit for any Japanese company to sit under Microsoft's umbrella. I'm sorry...it's just not. They have no presence outside US/UK and especially Japan. It actually makes me nervous all those IPs will be ruined if they shut doors eventually. Bethesda makes plenty sense. Sega does not...even if they want some kind of presence in Japan. Secure exclusive second-party deals don't buy the goddamn talent up that's high risk at doing nothing for you financially.

If it's going to be someone be Sega...I guess. If it was Capcom I'd be super worried because they have so many IPs I like. I don't know how anyone over there could trust Microsoft that they'd be financially pleasing to them unless they stay making games on the other platforms.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yup. I'm a big fan of the Persona games and Yakuza. Glad I secured a pre-order for XseX today with my PS5 from the other day.

If I'm being super honest though...it would be a terrible move. It's just not a good fit for any Japanese company to sit under Microsoft's umbrella. I'm sorry...it's just not. They have no presence outside US/UK and especially Japan. It actually makes me nervous all those IPs will be ruined if they shut doors eventually. Bethesda makes plenty sense. Sega does not...even if they want some kind of presence in Japan. Secure exclusive second-party deals don't buy the goddamn talent up that's high risk at doing nothing for you financially.
This wont end well, MS are the type that if they dont get the customers they will shutter the studio and keep the IP till death and do nothing with it out of spite.

Was afraid of this shit.

If it's going to be someone be Sega...I guess. If it was Capcom I'd be super worried because they have so many IPs I like. I don't know how anyone over there could trust Microsoft that they'd be financially pleasing to them unless they stay making games on the other platforms.

I'd say try and make more Blue Dragons and Lost Odysseys.

I'd say try and make more Blue Dragons and Lost Odysseys.

Lost Odyssey is so criminally underrated man. I loved that game in a time when Final Fantasy was struggling. It was the best Final Fantasy in that era. Sure as hell was better than XIII. Mistwalker made that but again, another Japanese studio treated badly by Microsoft like many others early in that generation.

They don't mingle well with Japan. Let them stay with Sony/Nintendo.

I think Ninja Gaiden would be very realistic at TGS tomorrow. That was a rumor not long ago. I've been wanting another NG so badly I'd be all over that shit.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Who's gonna buy the games? Nobody is gonna move to Xbox to play them.... hahaha

m7BIyvU.png

Sinthor

Gold Member
Alrighty then. I was holding off on my thoughts about the Bethesda deal for a couple of reasons. Both to think about it more and also to let the initial, hysterical reactions on both sides subside somewhat. So here's what I think about it.

First, this is, obviously a huge deal. It's a big potential win for Microsoft and in a couple of different ways. First, it gives them the ability to put several well known franchises exclusively in their ecosystem, if they so choose. That will help them market their hardware and GamePass (which along with XCloud is exactly where their LONG TERM plans lie). Alternatively, they can all all or most of these future titles to continue as they are today, or maybe with timed exclusivity only and thus reap wide financial benefits from the sales of these games.

I think they are very likely to go this route, in an effort to recoup the most of that $7.5 billion that they can. However, LONG TERM if it plays out for them, I would expect that to change as GamePass becomes more financially viable for them, assuming it does.

So, this is a big splash for Microsoft and it's a great win for them with multiple possibilities. It is NOT the "game over" that some hysterical Microsoft fans would like to believe. Bethesda titles are not THAT dominant, certainly not right now. Their big titles are also hugely expensive to produce, generally plagued with bugs and problems (to be fair, due to their huge scope, mostly) and as such they HAVE to sell many many copies in order to be profitable and make more money. So that's a risk. There are other more mid range and even lower tiered titles which I think would be deemed "solid" in the market today, but certainly not as blockbusters. I mean the main franchises are the Elder Scrolls and arguably the Dishonored series as an up and comer. Starfield MAY be great...it's a huge risk though and we don't know enough. So there's definitely risk that Microsoft is picking up here.

Neither though is this deal the death of 'gaming as we know it' and the end of Sony. Not by a long shot. Sony has been building itself, especially over the past decade by coming out with completely new IP's or reboots that have been very successful. Even without a single Zenimax title, there is hardly a deficit of games to play. Sony also is riding the wave of this current generation, where Microsoft has a lot to prove again as a serious player after it mostly abandoned this current generation earlier on.

Even if MS continues to purchase more and more studios, Sony can continue to cultivate smaller studios and grow them or get established studios to produce high end games. Even if the MS subscription approach is going to eventually win and be it....we have a LONG way to go for that to happen. MS does not, in fact, have some endless wallet as some would like to believe and they are a public company. They can't go all out and break the bank just because they want to.

This all means that there is a lot that has to play out yet and probably more than a decade worth of time to fully develop, whichever way it goes.

So for Microsoft fans, this is great news...you'll likely have those games on GamePass and you'll almost certainly get first dibs on those new titles. For Sony fans, you may or may not get these new titles, but you'll still have plenty more 3rd party and exclusive games that you won't be able to play elsewhere. Whether the subscription model eventually works out will take MANY YEARS to develop. So probably around PS 7 or 8 time even. :)

It will be interesting to see what other moves Microsoft has in it's plan. Make no mistake this IS a planned strategy and Bethesda won't be the last to be procured by Microsoft. At the same time, MS is going to need to realize solid financial gains from all of this..they cannot afford to take huge losses for 5 more years until it all pans out. So how they handle this and other acquisitions, especially those that are very expensive, will have a huge influence on how successful their strategy is in the end.

So meanwhile, we all have sweet new consoles coming out in about a month now, and will be happy as HELL to be playing with them and enjoying the titles that will be available over this coming year. Everything else will take care of itself and we'll see how this industry continues to change and evolve.

And oh by the way for people who are afraid of Microsoft buying up developers (or Sony). Neither can hold a candle to the real titan in the industry, which could do whatever it wants and pick "a side" whenever it wants, with MASSIVE consequences: Ten Cent.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Why does acquisition news always rot everyone's brains?

Because we're in an outrage and emotionally driven culture right now. A lot of people don't have much else to occupy them either. Realistically as well..this is all just 'online hysteria.' Not many are that concerned in real life, it's just that like with the venom you see on Twitter, coming from people who would shit themselves before saying those same things to a real live person face to face, the internet kind of encourages anonymous venting. So it's easy to freak and and be dramatic online and get those emotions out without actually committing to anything. That's why we see so much emotion and venting online. We all do it, to various extents.

saintjules

Yeah luckily ended up getting the last XsX after sitting outside with a few others guys.

I was there for 3 hours and the first one in line camped overnight, crazy

I may snag a PS5 eventually and hear there may be more PS5 stock yet this week.

Glad to hear you snagged one! I was the last one in line when I got to GS. A few others showed up behind me. The last Xbox ticket was for the girl in front of me. She got the S. It's kind of crazy. I usually see lines for launches, but not for pre-orders. Maybe I missed that in previous generations, idk.

I went the night before to check if there was a line and no one was there, but I should have checked the sign before leaving 😂 The main group got there at 6am this morning.

Getting it through Walmart was a great alternative though.

Last edited:
PS + PC combo is the way to go and you get almost everything why would anyone buy an Xbox

gl3k8t5f2oo51.png
This. I prefer gaming on a console, but I want to have the option of playing on PC if there's a good enough reason. Bethesda games are among the ones I always, always, always play on PC.

I'd say they are among some of the games that benefit the most from being played on PC, and some of them have been borderline broken on consoles anyway so 🤷‍♂️

Calculated 5kg, and around $93, too much for shipping, I think? I think if sent as "gift" there is no tax. I've sent some Nissan Patrol taillights to Australia before.

If sent as gift, I think there should be no tax?
You would also need so state a low value in the shipping declaration. I don't remember the limit, and it's probably different in different countries, but you need to pay taxes even for gifts, if the value exceeds like $30 or something.

Maybe it's not a super big deal, but you'll lose any shipping insurance. And it's probably best not to declare that the package contains a PS5.. 😁

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Lol Microsoft considers the 7.5 billion dollar acquisition a "Minimal impact" on the operating income 😂😂

That's what happens when you have billions just stashed around doing nothing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

At least these analysts realize how serious MS is about gaming, even as the gafers continue to have them one foot out the door. It won't be much longer until GP is MS's most successful consumer subscription (not counting business subs), they care about that.

Dolomite

That's what happens when you have billions just stashed around doing nothing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

At least these analysts realize how serious MS is about gaming, even as the gafers continue to have them one foot out the door. It won't be much longer until GP is MS's most successful consumer subscription (not counting business subs), they care about that.
It's bewildering that a Mammoth of a corporation is continuously going balls to the walls investing in this subdivision that has so nothing to do with Computer software. It seems so dicey to read about then laughably unbelievable when you learn how small of a risk they are actually taking

I don’t if it true but I heard years ago Microsoft has like 150 billion laying around just for purchases if need be. Some call it the war chest. Does anybody know if that’s accurate or not?

Neo_game

I think it was Bill gates that said Xbox was like a expensive hobby when Microsoft was loosing billions of $. Sure they can still loose billion of $ as they make lots of profit elsewhere. It is like a rich kid's inheriting dad's wealth by spending millions on expensive cars and private jet but I do not think there is no pride in it.

Lol Microsoft considers the 7.5 billion dollar acquisition a "Minimal impact" on the operating income 😂😂

0kwkzC2.jpg

It makes sense if you think about it. I believe interest rates are still incredibly low so I wouldn’t be surprised if this as a mixture of cash/financing over time.

They probably put $750M-$1.5B down and will finance the remainder for 20-30 years at a cheap rate.

I don’t if it true but I heard years ago Microsoft has like 150 billion laying around just for purchases if need be. Some call it the war chest. Does anybody know if that’s accurate or not?

$137B COH.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
So you think we will still get some More ps5 and xbox series x shows before launch ?
Gawd...I sure hope so. There IS STILL a lot we don't know. I can't understand how we're pre-ordering but still haven't seen EITHER function at all! Take that back...MS just released that great video showing speed of resuming games. THAT is what we should be seeing everywhere along with the game trailers to help sell these machines. Just don't understand why we're NOT seeing that. Maybe both machine's OS's are delayed and being worked on right up until release day due to Covid or something so that they really CAN'T show that stuff right now?

All I can say is...about a month left....so if there IS still going to be a teardown video and other things...clock's ticking.

Translation:
From Thursday, September 24th to Sunday, October 4th, the YouTube-sponsored game festival "YouTube Gaming Week" will be held. Sony Interactive Entertainment will participate in this event, and popular creators who have a YouTube channel will experience PlayStation®5, which is about to be released in Japan on Thursday, November 12, and will see the pattern on their own channel in October. From 18:00 on the 4th (Sun), we will hold a project "Try! PlayStation 5 on YouTube Gaming Week" to release videos in sequence.

Stay tuned for more information on what titles popular creators enjoyed. From now on, we will continue to try to have popular channel creators of the YouTube platform experience PS5 until the PS5 release period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom