• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Sony floodgates are about to open, that just don't go well with them.
What floodgates? PS5 impressions of people using it? I don't really expect a lot anymore when it comes to UI/OS. Wonder when we'll hear about the third party deal though

Sinthor

Gold Member
What the fuck.....ps4 saves won’t transfer over on dirt5 and Yakuza to ps5

thought it was a joke

For the life of me I can't imagine what kind of technical barrier would exist that would prevent save files being used from PS4 to PS5. Even assuming different file formats and different volume/file structures are in place...would be simple enough to build a converter into your code to convert the PS4 save file data so that it could be used on PS5.

So I have to assume these are cases of the devs simply not doing the work to make it happen. Maybe due to all the Covid issues timelines were too compressed to allow for that? I dunno. Just seems very weird.

LiquidRex

This is what Oodle Textures did for Warframe.

A reduction of 15GB.

So the biggest differential will still be the hardware difference assuming Microsoft does the same thing.
Yeah, I mean, the raw hardware capabilities are always the principal difference in any component, the software implementation just goes on top of that. Obviously is not always that simple, but yeah, potentially Oodle can be used for Xbox too, absolutely.

Orky

Banned
There's a controller coming with the console, you know? And 'offer a minimum user experience', what is this BS? Who is using haptic feedback tech, while the only new thing the other company is offering is a new button, which is copying a function already used in DS4 by the way?

the extra Button is mappable. You can use it for whatever you want, not only sharing btw. Which is pretty nice IMHO.

reksveks

Which MS using is abit better? PS5 kraken is better than Zlib (xbox) and also oodles texture(ps5) is very similar to BCpack (xbox). So tell me which is better?
Which MS using is abit better? PS5 kraken is better than Zlib (xbox) and also oodles texture(ps5) is very similar to BCpack (xbox). So tell me which is better?
What's the differentials between the two? Also why can't Microsoft use Kraken as well?

Rea

Yeah, I mean, the raw hardware capabilities are always the principal difference in any component, the software implementation just goes on top of that. Obviously is not always that simple, but yeah, potentially Oodle can be used for Xbox too, absolutely.
Kraken and oodles can be used by anyone, IF they pay for license fees. Sony already paid for ps5, so any developer can use them on ps5 for free. Also ps5 has decompression hardware specifically just for kraken format. But I'm not sure it is compatible with Xbox decompression hardware.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Greatness Awaits

ygtWUr3.jpg

Rea

What's the differentials between the two? Also why can't Microsoft use Kraken as well?
All i know is that kraken is better cousin of Zlib QUOTED cerny. Bcpack and oodle is similar performance.
The reason Microsoft can't use kraken and oodle is that they don't want to pay licensing fees or their hardware decompression is not compatible for these formats--- is my guess. Could be wrong.

jimbojim

Banned

Yes, they can use it. But always will be around 6 GB/s as theoretical max. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

i hope they have access to more games then just that, if they sent out a lot of consoles to you tubers and there is only 4 games that is the same of the same type of footage.

I know i know i am moaning like a 200 year old hooker. fs
I read they can only "share their impressions" and worry if they will be stuck with running B-roll of direct feed gameplay Sony gave them.

I doubt we see UI, but hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
No. BC Pack is a texture compression tech that could theoretically push up to 6 GB of textures (only textures) through the Xbox I/O in 1 second.

Oodle kraken compression for textures can push up to 17 GB of textures (only textures) through the PS5 I/O in 1 second.

Sounds great in theory, but in practices? You can’t scale your games around I/O, it’s not like GPU (just scale up/down resolution) or CPU (scale up/down FPS).
Devs also have to develop their games for a lot of PCs, and most of them will be much slower than both Xbox and PS5, so in practices we will see if there will even be a difference at all for third party games.

Try! PlayStation 5 on YouTube Gaming Week
Astro's Playroom
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
BALAN WONDERWORLD
Godfall

Balan Wonderworld on PS5?

Yeah, for fan boys... I don't see much more hype for ps5 compared to XSX in the general public.

When was the last time you were outside? Cause on the web we all know it's lopsided.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sounds great in theory, but in practices? You can’t scale your games around I/O, it’s not like GPU (just scale up/down resolution) or CPU (scale up/down FPS).
Devs also have to develop their games for a lot of PCs, and most of them will be much slower than both Xbox and PS5, so in practices we will see if there will even be a difference at all for third party games.

Epic demoed their Unreal Engine as scalable. SquareEnix looks to be taking the same route with Luminous. Studios like EA and Ubisoft probably won’t bother though.

Balan Wonderworld on PS5?

When was the last time you were outside? Cause on the web we all know it's lopsided.

Wow If true.

Sony keep showing gameplay after gameplay.

But according to some Xbox Warriors, its better to show Just some BC of old games and thats it, like its Sony who is hiding stuff. Sad.

Xbox one was backwards compatible with X360 and I dont remember them showing BC working as the next big thing, as a big selling point.🤔

Last edited:

LiquidRex

pasterpl

The Xbox 360 controller in 2005 and the Xbox Series X in 2025 will have the exact same feature set for developers to program for, except for 1 thing, the rumble motors in the triggers, added in 2013. Thats it.

20 years and devs will basically have the same limited controller tool set to use when making their games on Xbox Series X as they did on Xbox One and Xbox 360. No new ways to design, no new experiences for players.

Peak controller was in 2013, who knew.

Love the lazy "pro-consumer" approach, don't even both innovating. Same shit for almost 20 years, fuck me.

imagine the pain of Xbox players not being able to blow into their controller /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom