• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucidFlux

Digital Foundry on Xbox Series S Call of Duty 17 differences compared to Series X and PS5.

"But its a very typical Call of Duty look for consoles, its just something that we saw like last gen quite often. So it does feel like the promise of Series S as the 1440p variant of the 4K experience on Series X isn't quite true here."

No RT mode, no 120 FPS mode. Just basic 60 FPS mode which is the same as last gen consoles.

That's a shame. Definitely feels like the S is caught in the middle. Its too bad they compromised both the RAM total and speed otherwise it would have more closely aligned with the machine their marketing was promoting it as.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's a shame. Definitely feels like the S is caught in the middle. Its too bad they compromised both the RAM total and speed otherwise it would have more closely aligned with the machine their marketing was promoting it as.
The marketing has seriously overhyped S. It's not a bad box for what it is. It should have been marketed as an upgraded One S with better overall performance and improved visuals. Instead it was hyped as X visuals and performance at lower resolution. It's confusing.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Every aspect of the Microsoft next gen strategy is weird
I think it would have been different if Halo would have been ready. I think it would have been a more traditional launch. Instead they had to go with what they had, which was backward compatibility.

I think Sony and Microsoft should have waited until Spring to launch to get more of the kinks worked out of these things.

Can anyone confirm?

Almost certainly bollocks.

"Reports" like this presume companies don't thoroughly test their consumer electronics and put them through the ringer long before release.

No manufacturing process produces 100% reliability, so even a couple of thousand reports of defective products out of tens of millions produced falls well within the reasonable tolerances of consumer product manufacturing. It's why warranties even exist.

geordiemp

Can anyone confirm?

or could be a troll

The latest update was detailed
Sony has added this to the 2.25 update notes:

An issue where users couldn't download games because only the "Queued for Download" or "View Details" option was displayed was resolved. If you encounter this issue, update the system software to the latest version, and then try starting your PS5 in safe mode to rebuild the database.

Last edited:

Sejanus

I think it would have been different if Halo would have been ready. I think it would have been a more traditional launch. Instead they had to go with what they had, which was backward compatibility.

I think Sony and Microsoft should have waited until Spring to launch to get more of the kinks worked out of these things.
Every gen start one month before Christmas (you understand the reason), but they could not calculate the effects of covid and now they are running to ironing some little problems there and there.
Xbox strategy was little confusing with the split memory of xsx, they can spent 7 Bill for zenimax but can not spend 20-30$ for 4gb more ram (OK I can understand the logistics of millions consoles but anyway was worth the risking) and think about for a moment what a pr win that would be, double the raw speed you for the ssd, four gig at 560gb/s for us .
They present a next gen machine with only 4tf and 10gb for the causals to promote gamepass only 100$ less for a real next gen console (ps5).
They present halo infinity (what the fuck was that) and the knew the problems.
They reality is, they don't even believe in the consoles or next gen graphics, the only believe is for the gamepass.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

That was the only way to get it to $300. Many of us tried to tell some gamers here that either Lockhart was going to be $400 or it'll be $300 with massive differences between games on it and the Series X. You were never going to have both (Series X graphics and performance at 1440p resolution).

Why are you dragging Sony into that? They launched with great games and are doing fine.

huraga

Banned
hahaha, it´s very funny to read some people saying "hey it proves that SDK is not an issue for Xbox"

Didn't those people wonder that maybe with a better SDK there could still be more difference in RT? Maybe not, its too much thinking

About the 120fps drops, I´m pretty sure and I will bet my money to nobody in this world is be able to notice the difference between 100 to 120 fps. It´s more, even between 60 and 120.

It's amazing what marketing does to people.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Notice how Tom says PS5 dropping 8 frames is "massive" but then says the XSX dropping 20 frames down to like 100 FPS is not very noticeable. "The numbers exaggerate the difference" lol.

Their hypocrisy is staggering.

DF logic - "dropping from 60 to 50 FPS is way worse than dropping from 120 to 100 FPS"

Not if the user has intentionally selected the 120 FPS mode because they care about a very high frame rate and have a 120 Hz display. They're forgoing the RT mode in order to have the smoothest performance possible.
Thats why I call them shills. Not because I believe their data is incorrect (most of the time they present whats there) but because of the way they frame the discussion depending on the console. They are extremly inconsistent in their language and behaviour.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Every gen start one month before Christmas (you understand the reason), but they could not calculate the effects of covid and now they are running to ironing some little problems there and there.
Xbox strategy was little confusing with the split memory of xsx, they can spent 7 Bill for zenimax but can not spend 20-30$ for 4gb more ram (OK I can understand the logistics of millions consoles but anyway was worth the risking) and think about for a moment what a pr win that would be, double the raw speed you for the ssd, four gig at 560gb/s for us .
They present a next gen machine with only 4tf and 10gb for the causals to promote gamepass only 100$ less for a real next gen console (ps5).
They present halo infinity (what the fuck was that) and the knew the problems.
They reality is, they don't even believe in the consoles or next gen graphics, the only believe is for the gamepass.
I get why they historically released before Christmas. They needed Christmas to be able to sell them. But the kids who received them as Christmas gifts back then are the adults who buy them on release day now and cause them to sell out long before Christmas. It's not like They would sell fewer consoles if they released in April.

The split memory architecture doesn't have anything to do with marketing. It's really too early to see what kind of effect it will have as the generation progresses. There haven't been any games where that's been identified as a thing that has made a difference.

The $7 billion for Zenimax is definitely an investment in future content to drive Game Pass. But Game Pass is not a bad thing and it provides more options to gamers. If all of those studios produce games that are released day 1 on the service it's a good value for gamers. Not everyone collects games like they used to. They buy them at full price, play them, then sell them for half price. If people can play a game for $10 over the course of a month then give it back that's a win for us. Especially if you can but the ones you like for a discount.

And you're probably right that Microsoft's focus isn't on consoles. It's on content. But Sony and Microsoft aren't so far apart on that, they're just going about it differently. Sony isn't making as much profit from consoles as they are from the games they produce. Microsoft is buying studios for the content as well. Since Microsoft isn't selling as many consoles as Sony they have to find a different way to make money from selling content, which is why they've embraced PC and content delivery over sheer volume of hardware.

At the end of the day these companies are about getting money from you. What they care about is producing stuff you'll buy.

Sejanus

hahaha, it´s very funny to read some people saying "hey it proves that SDK is not an issue for Xbox"

Didn't those people wonder that maybe with a better SDK there could still be more difference in RT? Maybe not, its too much thinking

About the 120fps drops, I´m pretty sure and I will bet my money to nobody in this world is be able to notice the difference between 100 to 120 fps. It´s more, even between 60 and 120.

It's amazing what marketing does to people.
Marketing???
You are joking, ms was marketing the xsx for the power of 12tf every day for the last 5 month and now they are losing in the performance mode from a 10tf console and you can't see the problem.
Sure no one really care about the few drops in these fast frames modes but they can see a ps5 with the less power can win, this is the problem for the Xbox players.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why are you dragging Sony into that? They launched with great games and are doing fine.
I mentioned them because their system software doesn't seem to be fully baked. There's no need to be so sensitive about it. Features that were present on PS4 are missing and other features that HDMI 2.1 makes possible aren't there and are coming in a future patch. The "it'll be patched soon" thing comes up so often it has become a meme.

Sony's launch lineup isn't universally appealing, but at least they have one.

Microsoft is also doing great. It's not like their hardware is sitting on shelves collecting dust.

inflation

Thats why I call them shills. Not because I believe their data is incorrect (most of the time they present whats there) but because of the way they frame the discussion depending on the console. They are extremly inconsistent in their language and behaviour.
I don’t want to think they say these things deliberately on other’s behalf. Their narrative is basically more TFs meaning more powerful, which is true by experience. Then when things falling apart, they reach for excuses so that their narrative still holds. It’s understandable to question others before someone’s own belief.

huraga

Banned
Marketing???
You are joking, ms was marketing the xsx for the power of 12tf every day for the last 5 month and now they are losing in the performance mode from a 10tf console and you can't see the problem.
Sure no one really care about the few drops in these fast frames modes but they can see a ps5 with the less power can win, this is the problem for the Xbox players.

Really for me the differences between PS5 and Xbox SX are totally unnoticed and I think it will be same in the future, but it´s funny to follow these wars.

Anyway Microsoft didn´t lie, Xbox SX has 12tflops, another thing is the devs can take advantage of this or not. Hardware is not all, Soft is the other 50% of this puzzle.

Last edited:

Sejanus

I get why they historically released before Christmas. They needed Christmas to be able to sell them. But the kids who received them as Christmas gifts back then are the adults who buy them on release day now and cause them to sell out long before Christmas. It's not like They would sell fewer consoles if they released in April.

The split memory architecture doesn't have anything to do with marketing. It's really too early to see what kind of effect it will have as the generation progresses. There haven't been any games where that's been identified as a thing that has made a difference.

The $7 billion for Zenimax is definitely an investment in future content to drive Game Pass. But Game Pass is not a bad thing and it provides more options to gamers. If all of those studios produce games that are released day 1 on the service it's a good value for gamers. Not everyone collects games like they used to. They buy them at full price, play them, then sell them for half price. If people can play a game for $10 over the course of a month then give it back that's a win for us. Especially if you can but the ones you like for a discount.

And you're probably right that Microsoft's focus isn't on consoles. It's on content. But Sony and Microsoft aren't so far apart on that, they're just going about it differently. Sony isn't making as much profit from consoles as they are from the games they produce. Microsoft is buying studios for the content as well. Since Microsoft isn't selling as many consoles as Sony they have to find a different way to make money from selling content, which is why they've embraced PC and content delivery over sheer volume of hardware.

At the end of the day these companies are about getting money from you. What they care about is producing stuff you'll buy.
Christmas it's not only a kids thing.
It's more a psychological type , vacation, stay more at home (because of cold), gift exchange and more other things.
But anyway if the knew this dynamic continuation of covid they would choose an April release.
Every aspect of the hardware good and bad can be a marketing tool.
4 more gb of ram its a good marketing tool.
I am not against of zenimax acquisition only I use this buyout to show that they have no problem spending money on they gaming department.
And I am not against of the gamepass but only with these excessive focus in that.

Sejanus

Really for me the differences between PS5 and Xbox SX are totally unnoticed and I think it will be same in the future, but it´s funny to follow these wars.

Anyway Microsoft didn´t lie, Xbox SX has 12tflops, another thing is the devs can take advantage of this or not. Hardware is not all, Soft is the other 50% of this puzzle.
How sure you are this is a dev problem and not hardware inefficiencies.
12tf doesn't meaning anything without the right balance of rops, mem controllers, caches etc.
Software problems (you meaning api) from the biggest software company in the world.... OK.

DinoD

The speed runs aren’t needed for the platinum, that trophy isn’t part of the main trophy list.

I’ve only ever done one speed run and have got the platinum.

Thanks for that mate.
So what am I missing then. I collected all artifacts and puzzles?

Damn

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Thinking that one console will continue to improve their tools over time and the other won't is really dumb, tbh. I say this because that seems to be what some people is alluding to.
I don't think that anyone said that, issue is that MS has clearly some issues with performance stack (which is that part of SDK which talks to HW) and this is already non issue on PS5, when you program directly on the HW. MS have a layer or more above the HW. I mean you clearly cannot adress memory directly, which you can on PS5.

Now that the PS5 is in the wild, how long before we will start to see xrays and pictures of the SOC? Someone will do it, and are probably working on it now, but typically how long after launch do we see this?

I don't think that anyone said that, issue is that MS has clearly some issues with performance stack (which is that part of SDK which talks to HW) and this is already non issue on PS5, when you program directly on the HW. MS have a layer or more above the HW. I mean you clearly cannot adress memory directly, which you can on PS5.

What pray tell is a "performance stack"?

And what particular "layer or more above the HW" does MS have?

In the previous gen, between Xbox's API and Playstation's there was never any difference in level of abstraction that meaningfully affected performance. And there's no single reason to believe that that should change moving to PS5 and XSX.

What you seem to be speaking to is another narrative that isn't based in any factual or verifiable information from people actually in the know (i.e. devs). It's just some entertaining tale some goon on the internet made up, because it made him feel better about his purchase.

MistBreeze

update:

everything with ps5 has been great

but one problem

I have the bug that prevent the controller from charging during rest mode
it charges while the system is on ... but not charging during rest mode

the only solutions was to use the back usb on the console

hope sony fixes it as the back ones are inconvenient for playing while charging

Because you asked so nicely and respectfully.
TUdhKDn.jpg

TUdhKDn.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You're damaging your hearing!!!

By the time you're fifty, you're going to have very serious hearing problems.

Sounds to me you might already have problems with hearing if you have to set it to max.

I had a roommate years ago, who listened to music all the time at max volume via headsets, and that guy was really annoying. He would not hear things correctly, and you would have repeat yourself a lot, that it got to the point, I found the effort to communicate with him was too much, and avoided having conversations with him. I'm sure he's in his own silent world now. :(

I try to avoid using a headset as much as possible.

We suffer enough decline in hearing as we get older, that you should do what ever it takes to protect it.

Nah, I'm fine. To give you perspective, headphones through tv when on PC I use 35% and 40% is just too much. Using Astro A40+mixamp on PS4 usually around 60%. Having Pulse 3D at full or 90% is not noisy at all, it's actually perfect volume and always put sound range to the widest possible when got the choice.

PS4 controller used to have very low volume at 2.0 channel, and most if not all USB headsets I tried are as well low. I bought the mixamp to have it good enough. Hope this gives you perspective.

And reporting back, and thanking user1337 user1337 for his note. I've turn off 3D Audio and tried it on Genshin and it's so clean, sharp, with normal 7.1 surround. Tried 3D on Spier-Man MM and it's working perfectly. My initial experience with the headset was really underwhelming on Astro's Playroom. Sounds muffled as if you are underwater and sound felt cheap, that says that Astro's Playroom doesn't support 3D Audio properly. After testing on Genshin without 3D Audio the locality is way better and clarity is just like using another headset.

Now I can recommend Pulse 3D, not saying it's better than premium ones but it's 100% worth its decent price of $100 and won't change it until next PS headset with 50mm drivers (Pulse is 40mm vs 50mm PS Platinum). If you already have a good wireless headset for PS5 then I think you don't need to upgrade. I tried my Astro A40 through DualSense and sound is loud and clear, but only stereo 2.0 so it'll probably be good with Tempest 3D Audio support. I'll try it today with Spider-Man MM and report back.

Last edited:

FranXico

And the funny thing is John has gone on the record saying how he hates MS and wishes they had never got into gaming.
I mean, you have to be a special kind of fanboy to think he is favouring Xbox.
I really doubt people would even think that nonsense if John was the only person commenting in DF analysis videos.
But it is incredibly unfair that people ascribe the opinions and argumentations of others at DF to him, as if DF was a hive mind.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
update:

everything with ps5 has been great

but one problem

I have the bug that prevent the controller from charging during rest mode
it charges while the system is on ... but not charging during rest mode

the only solutions was to use the back usb on the console

hope sony fixes it as the back ones are inconvenient for playing while charging

Mine works fine. Have you customised the rest mode options?

I really doubt people would even think that nonsense if John was the only person commenting in DF analysis videos.
But it is incredibly unfair that people ascribe the opinions and argumentations of others at DF to him, as if DF was a hive mind.
Knowing that John has a dislike of Microsoft and Xbox, I still don't see any bias from him in his videos. I think he can put that aside when giving an opinion, or reporting what the results of their performance tests were.

I think Alex comes across are really cocky and up himself, and that turns people off immediately. So when they already have a hate Boner for him, it's much easier to read into something he said that wasn't necessarily meant.

And with Richard, I think he likes companies that give them things. I would say he likes MS because they have given them the scoops on the Xbox One X and the Series X. Now I have no doubt if Sony did the same thing he would be just as happy with them.

DF has been pretty ruthless to the XSX over how the XSX has launched. They haven't held back at all, and that's good, because MS and Sony both should get smashed when they pull shitters.

When Halo Infinate was shown, Alex did a video trying to explain what had gone wrong with the game, and what they would need to do to fix it. But because he didn't act like some of the retarded Sony Fanboys and just yell "Craig" and laugh while looking at "Xbox has no games" memes the freaks were calling him a shill and accused him of trying to cover up for MS, when.he was just trying to give a non biased tech breakdown for it.
And in all reality, the only biased Tech Breakdown they did was for Godfall, on the PS5.

But fanboys don't let that get in the way of their wars.

Last edited:
A bit of a jump between that tweet and your description though wouldn't you say?

Not like what Microsoft brought to the industry != hate Microsoft.

Having said that, I do think he stands alone in the DF crew as the only one not overtly sucking Microsoft's dick all the time.
Just take the L and walk on by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom