• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
RX 6800XT with 72CU vs 36CU and similar clock speeds is only 29.4% faster than PS5, while 3070 is 8.6% faster so it's safe to say PS5 is comparable to 2080 Ti and 3070 in ray tracing performance.

This solidifies that PS5 is using a custom RT solution vs RDNA2/Xbox SX, that's why RT is better on PS5 vs XSX and 6800XT is embarrassingly closer to PS5 than Xbox One to PS4!

You didn't watch or listened to the entire video.

1- PS5 RT on shadows only, and its disabled on some scenes for performance reasons.
2- Some PC version settings cannot go low enough to match PS5. Alpha effects in particularly.

Based on this, the only "weird" thing is the delta to the 6800XT. The rest of your post is not factual nor do the results point towards your conclusion. On this game, its between 2070S~2080. Its good enough, so take it as a good thing.

ethomaz

Banned
You didn't watch or listened to the entire video.

1- PS5 RT on shadows only, and its disabled on some scenes for performance reasons.
2- Some PC version settings cannot go low enough to match PS5. Alpha effects in particularly.

Based on this, the only "weird" thing is the delta to the 6800XT. The rest of your post is not factual nor do the results point towards your conclusion. On this game, its between 2070S~2080. Its good enough, so take it as a good thing.
RT is only on Shadows in this game.
I posted all settings used in the comparison in the thread.

Last edited:

YoodlePro

Would recommend the remastered first, you must do that. Played all in Fidelity mode, wonderful. Tried Performance RT when they released it and I can say that the resolution difference is big on paper yet the upscaling/reconstruction makes it pretty minor so I would suggest Performance RT. It's the same with Demon's Souls that native 4K has a pretty minor advantage over performance mode. Reconstruction/upscaling on PS5 is pretty solid.
Interesting, I'll try and flip back and forth between them. It's my first "next-gen" ps5 game and I want to take in all the graphical goodness xD.
I'll try to go with the remastered first.

But honest question. Does the combat feel dull if you finish the first spider man game and then move on immediately to Miles?

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

AMD CEO ‘Thrilled’ with How Console Launches Went; ‘There’s Higher Demand Than We Thought’

We’re thrilled with how the console launches went. You’ve heard separately from Sony and Microsoft, their discussions about the size of the launches and the reception of the products. From our standpoint, if you think about it, with just the amount of new hardware that had to come into place — millions of units of both consoles, or all three consoles — that needed to ship, it came together very nicely.
As far as what we’ve learned, there is higher demand than we thought, and we’re trying to put more capacity in place for that. But we’re very happy with the launches, with the partnerships with both Sony and Microsoft. They have somewhat different strategies, but we’ve partnered very well with both of them. This is a big cycle. That says a lot about how much technology we’ve been able to integrate into the console form factor.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting, I'll try and flip back and forth between them. It's my first "next-gen" ps5 game and I want to take in all the graphical goodness xD.
I'll try to go with the remastered first.

But honest question. Does the combat feel dull if you finish the first spider man game and then move on immediately to Miles?

MM will "electrify" that for you. They are similar overall but I prefer MM.

ethomaz

Banned

AMD CEO ‘Thrilled’ with How Console Launches Went; ‘There’s Higher Demand Than We Thought’

I think it is a bit hard to believe after the PS4 launch.
It is obvious up compared to PS4 but nothing something you could not expected.

Everybody expected numbers way bigger than PS4.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PS5 is a great value.. but you really do have to focus on price for it to be impressive, and don't get me wrong.. it is..

But another way to look at it is that high end PC gamers have been enjoying better than that level of performance for over 2 years before it's release... cards released around the time of the PS5 release offer nearly double the performance. (not to mention offering better graphics at higher framerates.)

That's what is really cool about PC; if you've got the money, you can stay way ahead of the console curve.

It is awesome from a price perspective that my $400 PS5 outdoes my entire PC whose graphics card was $500 alone (2070) though.

I'd love to see what Sony could do with a machine that costs $1500 dollars lol

Last edited:

This is an interesting thought, although it could be dangerous in the long term, especially for the first party studios.

For that price Sony could implement a high end CPU/GPU, something like 80 CU GPU or whatever and a CPU running around 4.5 Ghz easily. Not to mention the more advanced tools which will be implemented as well. Now the the first party studios who produce triple A games will have to design around this high level hardware and aim to push it to it's limits, however there will need to be significantly more manpower, time and money invested into these first party studios, up to the point where the financial feasibility of these studios will be put at risk. The release schedule of games will also increase by an extra year or two. The retail price of each game will also increase, like $70 wasn't enough lol

IntentionalPun

This is an interesting thought, although it could be dangerous in the long term, especially for the first party studios.

For that price Sony could implement a high end CPU/GPU, something like 80 CU GPU or whatever and a CPU running around 4.5 Ghz easily. Not to mention the more advanced tools which will be implemented as well. Now the the first party studios who produce triple A games will have to design around this high level hardware and aim to push it to it's limits, however there will need to be significantly more manpower, time and money invested into these first party studios, up to the point where the financial feasibility of these studios will be put at risk. The release schedule of games will also increase by an extra year or two. The retail price of each game will also increase, like $70 wasn't enough lol
I'm not saying they should; they definitely shouldn't... really more of a total fantasy thought.

ethomaz

Banned
that is what it reads in my post.
You said PS5 RT is in shadow only.
It is for the game not just PS5... PC has only RT in Shadows too.

PS5 disable RT Shadows in some scenes using a Cubic Map Shadows with better quality than PC maxed preset... so it is no possible to match that on PC... if you disable RT Shadows in these scenes to match PS5 the Shadow quality on PC become lower than PS5.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Well, that $1500 is going to be $500 around PS5 Pro in 2023 with 72CU's.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS5 is a great value.. but you really do have to focus on price for it to be impressive, and don't get me wrong.. it is..

But another way to look at it is that high end PC gamers have been enjoying better than that level of performance for over 2 years before it's release... cards released around the time of the PS5 release offer nearly double the performance. (not to mention offering better graphics at higher framerates.)

That's what is really cool about PC; if you've got the money, you can stay way ahead of the console curve.

It is awesome from a price perspective that my $400 PS5 outdoes my entire PC whose graphics card was $500 alone (2070) though.

Us comparing PCs to Consoles will always be stupid, because the two have totally different usages. The PC gamer exist in order to constantly give themselves the best version of a game (if they wanted to) by constantly upgrading certain parts of their PC. Consoles gamers by a system once (maybe twice if they want the mid-gen upgrade) and never think about the hardware again.

There's so much stuff on the PC you have to upgrade if you truly want to stay ahead of the curve.

welshrat

Just interested in people who own both, I am the ripe old age of 43 and being a software dev my house is littered with tech. Macbooks, PC's, consoles, tablet etc. I find this arguing over what is better really strange yet my Son doesn't understand why I play console as he is master race (I remember being his age and arguing over Amiga and Atari).

I currently game on a very decent gaming PC and a PS5 and I am so utterly impressed by Sony's latest console, it really is fantastic value for £450 I just cant understand anyone who has one thinking otherwise. Is all the willy waving kids ? or do you genuinely not consider it excellent value ?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Us comparing PCs to Consoles will always be stupid, because the two have totally different usages. The PC gamer exist in order to constantly give themselves the best version of a game (if they wanted to) by constantly upgrading certain parts of their PC. Consoles gamers by a system once (maybe twice if they want the mid-gen upgrade) and never think about the hardware again.

There's so much stuff on the PC you have to upgrade if you truly want to stay ahead of the curve.
For sure; there's also loads of PC gamers that aren't chasing the best graphics and game on PCs for some of the reasons Bo mentioned.

I prefer the vast majority of games on PC because of mouse/keyboard support myself. Not a huge graphics chaser, just like being able to hit 60FPS.. so I stay mid-high at least.

I don't really get the "warz" either way.. these are all products, available to all of us.. they aren't exclusive clubs lol... do people who can't afford nice cars sit around talking about how their car that costs 10% of a supercar still manages a top speed that's 60% the performance?

I wish people would free themselves from this mental state where they feel the need to constantly compare. It's exhausting to read, I can't imagine actually caring.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I think Sony did an excellent job focusing on features that make it very hard for PC owners to justify purchasing games on PC. DualSense is really something special and even though a lot of games arent supporting it as well as Demon Souls and Astrobot, just the potential keeps me from even thinking of booting up my PC. Though i did buy Cyberpunk on PC.

Ultra fast loading is another big feature for me. Again, not particularly well supported at the moment, but if every next gen game is like Demon Souls, i would be willing to take a hit on resolution.

3D audio is by far the biggest disappointment but I am glad they focused on features instead of just raw power. You can always buy a mid gen upgrade, but you cant just shoehorn in these features after the fact. I guess we will see if MS is able to shoehorn all this stuff in as the gen goes on.

IntentionalPun

Yeah the controller is really cool, and just how fast the system is in general.

Has had me making buying decisions I was surprised by, since I generally prefer mouse/keyboard for all games that don't involve driving. I bought that Fenyx Rising game on PS5 for instance. Although I might regret it once I start playing lol

Also.. the most shocking thing.. i started playing Fallout 76 on PS5, after really liking it on PC.. and think I prefer it overall on PS5.. just wish I could play with mouse/keyboard.. but man, it loads into the game and fast travels like 3 times as fast, even on my decent SSD on PC. Although my wife's PC with an HDD also loads faster, so I might be facing some weird bug.. but then again.. that's not abnormal on PC to have random bugs that are hard to track down.

I just don't get the graphics whores declaring victory over being handily beaten by 2 year old PC cards.

Last edited:

Allandor

It's more likely Sony have a whitelist of tested TVs for VRR, the rest won't get it immediately.
Not really, than they had to whitelist the TV on the PS5 and the PS5 in the TV. I really don't think that it works that way. If it really works (currently) it is just a custom standard nobody knows about. Something we really don't want to see if there are standards that could work with any device.

But I really get it. HDMI 2.1 seems to be a mess. It seems that no company can implement it properly (and complete). Even features like eArc (or Arc before it) don't get correctly implemented. Or even older standardized features that should work with any compatible device (like switching on a soundbar via a signal).
But it doesn't stop with TV manufacturers, it doesn't get better with sound systems that are more or less always incompatible with the parts of the next year, even if they do more or less the same. It is really a shame.

IntentionalPun

Not really, than they had to whitelist the TV on the PS5 and the PS5 in the TV. I really don't think that it works that way. If it really works (currently) it is just a custom standard nobody knows about. Something we really don't want to see if there are standards that could work with any device.

But I really get it. HDMI 2.1 seems to be a mess. It seems that no company can implement it properly (and complete). Even features like eArc (or Arc before it) don't get correctly implemented. Or even older standardized features that should work with any compatible device (like switching on a soundbar via a signal).
But it doesn't stop with TV manufacturers, it doesn't get better with sound systems that are more or less always incompatible with the parts of the next year, even if they do more or less the same. It is really a shame.
HDMI has had a series of messes.

I 'memba when HDMI handshake issues were prevalent... pretty much every major upgrade has had a bad first year.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Has had me making buying decisions I was surprised by, since I generally prefer mouse/keyboard for all games that don't involve driving. I bought that Fenyx Rising game on PS5 for instance. Although I might regret it once I start playing lol

Also.. the most shocking thing.. i started playing Fallout 76 on PS5, after really liking it on PC.. and think I prefer it overall on PS5.. just wish I could play with mouse/keyboard.. but man, it loads into the game and fast travels like 3 times as fast, even on my decent SSD on PC. Although my wife's PC with an HDD also loads faster, so I might be facing some weird bug.. but then again.. that's not abnormal on PC to have random bugs that are hard to track down.

I just don't get the graphics whores declaring victory over being handily beaten by 2 year old PC cards.
The Ubisoft games are actually an exception. I bought both Watch Dogs and AC on the PS5 but then found out that the uplay service offers all new games for only $15 a month. I had already opened Valhalla but returned Watch Dogs and am going to play Fenyx Rising on PC as well.

HDMI has had a series of messes.

I 'memba when HDMI handshake issues were prevalent... pretty much every major upgrade has had a bad first year.
i remember the handshake issues between my pro and the KS8000. Drove me nuts. I had to remove and reinsert the damn HDMI cable every time. I have never hated the back of a console more. i could never find the damn HDMI slot.

And this happened every few days too. Took them like 2 years to fix it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

i remember the handshake issues between my pro and the KS8000. Drove me nuts. I had to remove and reinsert the damn HDMI cable every time. I have never hated the back of a console more. i could never find the damn HDMI slot.

And this happened every few days too. Took them like 2 years to fix it.
Yeah I should have said "and those issues never completely went away."

The format was created just as much for DRM as it was for advancing technology.

SSfox

A 1500$ Sony console would be a insane beast for sure, but it wouldn't sell quarter of the 500$ weaker console.

The PS5 is impressive considering it is a closed system
Studios like ND and SM created technical marvels with the likes of the Jaguar and whatever weak GPU
Spiderman had breathtaking set pieces
Now they have whatever magic Cerny jammed in there
The PS5 will make jaws hit the floor in terms of gameplay soon enough
Everyone is focused on graphics but are ignoring the potential elevation of gameplay we could have

Last edited:

aclar00

I wanted to like it so bad...but it was the camera angle that killed it for me....couldnt stand the over the shoulder camera. Felt like the character was always in the way. That was literally the reason why i played it for a max of about 2 hours and never picked it up again.

...Honestly id just take an HD remake with slightly improved mechanics. No major changes.

I will also take an online Twisted Metal 2 HD remake...just add a few classic stages from TM1 or even TM: Black and add like 2 new cars and bam....online classic that would probably get the same or more play time than Destruction Allstars

Listen to me Sony Gods!

LucidFlux

Like what? Or why?

One we've already seen is what R&C is doing by nearly instantly jumping between worlds, but that's just one example of how you can completely change the game world in real time.

Game level design is completely unshackled now that it can be streamed in on the fly.
No more weird limited sight lines, or long corridors connecting areas of the map.
What about games with fully destructible environments that let you completely change the play space. Like a bomb goes off and two seconds later after the smoke clears the whole level is changed.
A time traveling mechanic where you can instantly jump back and forward in time in a location.
Player and vehicle travel speed is no longer limited due to streaming in assets.
We could have truly gigantic levels with fast vehicular combat without sacrificing close up detail.
Superhero games where flight is actually fast. Imagine superman or ironman flying through an open city then taking off to another nearby city or into space.
You see those mountains over there, well you can now actually travel to and climb them.

These were just a few off the top of my head, there are infinite ways to utilize this newfound freedom when it comes to game design.

We've seen some of these things done before, but it was always at the cost of something. You could jump between levels or time like in Titanfall for instance, but the levels had to be small because they both had to fit into RAM. You could travel fast in something like Ace Combat or SW Squadrons but it was just in open space with no ground detail and so on.

IntentionalPun

One we've already seen is what R&C is doing by nearly instantly jumping between worlds, but that's just one example of how you can completely change the game world in real time.

Game level design is completely unshackled now that it can be streamed in on the fly.
No more weird limited sight lines, or long corridors connecting areas of the map.
What about games with fully destructible environments that let you completely change the play space. Like a bomb goes off and two seconds later after the smoke clears the whole level is changed.
A time traveling mechanic where you can instantly jump back and forward in time in a location.
Player and vehicle travel speed is no longer limited due to streaming in assets.
We could have truly gigantic levels with fast vehicular combat without sacrificing close up detail.
Superhero games where flight is actually fast. Imagine superman or ironman flying through an open city then taking off to another nearby city or into space.
You see those mountains over there, well you can now actually travel to and climb them.

These were just a few off the top of my head, there are infinite ways to utilize this newfound freedom when it comes to game design.

We've seen some of these things done before, but it was always at the cost of something. You could jump between levels or time like in Titanfall for instance, but the levels had to be small because they both had to fit into RAM. You could travel fast in something like Ace Combat or SW Squadrons but it was just in open space with no ground detail and so on.
I've heard most of these ideas, I just like asking, because the ideas are cool :)

I think there are a lot of possibilities; I'm not sure the PS5 itself is really going to be the only place this is possible though.

This was the direction Unreal was going before Sony got involved for instance.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all in for next gen speculation but then we are talking PS6 or at least PS5Pro. This year TSMC starts to produce 3nm chips. So theorically we could have a PS5Pro with roughly the same chip surface and 21TF by end of this year.

I’ll sell my obsolete PS5 to some scalper then.
Those are called GaaFETs(Gate-all-around FETs) and that won't start risk production until late within the 1st half of this year. They won't be seen used in the fabrication of SOCs until early 2022 at the earliest.

Last edited:
I've heard most of these ideas, I just like asking, because the ideas are cool :)

I think there are a lot of possibilities; I'm not sure the PS5 itself is really going to be the only place this is possible though.

Not saying it's only possible on ps5 but Sony's first party devs will make it seem so while everyone else does the typical lowest common denominator, providing prettier graphics and not much else in terms of next gen gameplay
There will obviously be quality AAA third party games that push the fold game play wise
But Sony's first party devs will be able to push further than most because they will be developing exclusively instead of optimizing for other systems

Last edited:

With this and Insomniac Resistance hint, Sony are definitely cooking up a lot.

There's loads we didn't see from what the studios for both companies are doing. Recent insider pitch about Sony's London Studio doing a new AAA ip? Interesting, what is it that they're doing? InXile are doing a AAA new rpg ip? Cool. What's it look like? There's loads of things we haven't seen from both Sony and Microsoft. There's a crapton of things we haven't seen or even remotely heard about other than these delicious tips from industry insiders. Buckle up fellas, this gen's going to be a doozy one.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For sure; there's also loads of PC gamers that aren't chasing the best graphics and game on PCs for some of the reasons Bo mentioned.

I prefer the vast majority of games on PC because of mouse/keyboard support myself. Not a huge graphics chaser, just like being able to hit 60FPS.. so I stay mid-high at least.

I don't really get the "warz" either way.. these are all products, available to all of us.. they aren't exclusive clubs lol... do people who can't afford nice cars sit around talking about how their car that costs 10% of a supercar still manages a top speed that's 60% the performance?

I wish people would free themselves from this mental state where they feel the need to constantly compare. It's exhausting to read, I can't imagine actually caring.

Yeah. I hate when people say "Us PC gamers can do this and that......" when in reality it's just not true. The truth is a certain % of PC gamers can game at 60fps and 4K for instance. But, that's not the majority. The PC to console comparisons never make sense, unless you choose to compare it to your average PC that most gamers are using. Outside of that, the PC should always win because it cost 3-4 times more to build.

IntentionalPun

Not saying it's only possible on ps5 but Sony's first party devs will make it seem so while everyone else does the typical lowest common denominator, providing prettier graphics and not much else in terms of next gen gameplay
There will obviously be quality AAA third party games that push the fold game play wise
But Sony's first party devs will be able to push further than most because they will be developing exclusively instead of optimizing for other systems
Ah gotcha, and agree.

I'm not particularly impressed with what Ratchet is doing; but that's just me. I'm buying it though and willing to have my mind changed. Early stuff though so not judging the potential based on it of course.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

Oh totally, I love thinking about the possibilities.

With regards to how other platforms will be able to handle this new paradigm of UE5 and Nanite vs PS5:

• At its core, what enables these possibilities is being able to show new, highly detailed assets on screen very quickly.
  • Which means you need to be constantly pulling new assets into memory.
  • Thus the limit is down to overall I/O speed.
  • SSDs will become mandatory on PC for these new games.
  • The gameplay itself cannot change between platforms with slower I/O, if it's a core foundation of the game. So for instance you wouldn't have movement speed slowed down for the slower I/O platforms.
  • So how it scales to a slower I/O without effecting gameplay would be in the detail level of the new assets that are streamed in.
  • With the ability to author LODs on the fly as well as the addition of sampler feedback and various other techniques, PC and Xbox would simply draw in slightly lower LODs and lower resolution textures until the higher fidelity assets could be called into memory and then blended to seamlessly.
  • During fast motion and with good texture upscaling you may not even notice much difference during game play in this example.

Rudius

From the tests we have seen, the best PC you can build right now is not even double the performance of a PS5. It's like the jump from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro, a bit more in CPU, but a bit less in GPU, in terms of results, not theoretical performance. People talk like it's a massive difference, but those 81% more of the 3090 is not even enough to reliably get you from 1440p to native 4K, or from 30 to a locked 60 fps.

The real significant, blind test noticeable advantage PC have right now is the ability to customize the settings to your preferences.

Rudius

Doesn't the PS5 support mouse and Keyboard? I suspect it depends on the game, but those PC style titles would be more likely to implement it.

IntentionalPun

Doesn't the PS5 support mouse and Keyboard? I suspect it depends on the game, but those PC style titles would be more likely to implement it.
It does, PS4 did too, game support is terrible though. FO76 does not have it.

Thought about getting one of those adapter things though that translates normal controls into M/K.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think Sony did an excellent job focusing on features that make it very hard for PC owners to justify purchasing games on PC. DualSense is really something special and even though a lot of games arent supporting it as well as Demon Souls and Astrobot, just the potential keeps me from even thinking of booting up my PC. Though i did buy Cyberpunk on PC.

Ultra fast loading is another big feature for me. Again, not particularly well supported at the moment, but if every next gen game is like Demon Souls, i would be willing to take a hit on resolution.

3D audio is by far the biggest disappointment but I am glad they focused on features instead of just raw power. You can always buy a mid gen upgrade, but you cant just shoehorn in these features after the fact. I guess we will see if MS is able to shoehorn all this stuff in as the gen goes on.

I'm actually pretty impressed by the 3D audio, although sound sources in the games are still limited and seems Returnal and Demon's Souls and newer exclusives seem to have even better implementation. Pulse 3D with Watch Dog's Legion is simply crazy good, you don't wanna lift the car with those incredible music, and when you enter a party you fucking feel you're in party with those finely-tuned bass effects you get around you.

It's still more time for later games to utilize it fully, but so far I'm pretty impressed by Pulse 3D, at least. Maybe I'm lucky and the HRTF-default is close to my HRTF? Experience could be different from person to another.

Loving graphics is part of me loving photography, nature, space, etc. And it's something why I generally don't like gloomy games that much as environments.

Now on PS5 performance mode doesn't seem like a massive hit like on PS4/PS4 Pro for example. I checked Spiderman MM after the update (beaten the game at Fidelity 30fps mode) and man, the graphics/resolution mix in Performance RT was pretty shocking to me, even though Fidelity is insanely sharp standing still and better graphics overall, you still move a lot and having that clean image at 60fps of Performance RT makes it the best setup to me.

If the difference is big in a game that aims for graphics vs performance I would go for graphics indeed. But overall, I find it hard to justify as it's not as bad as it was last gen when you choose performance mode. Makes me think they're just doing resolution mode for the novelty of it.

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty impressed by the 3D audio, although sound sources in the games are still limited and seems Returnal and Demon's Souls and newer exclusives seem to have even better implementation. Pulse 3D with Watch Dog's Legion is simply crazy good, you don't wanna lift the car with those incredible music, and when you enter a party you fucking feel you're in party with those finely-tuned bass effects you get around you.

It's still more time for later games to utilize it fully, but so far I'm pretty impressed by Pulse 3D, at least. Maybe I'm lucky and the HRTF-default is close to my HRTF? Experience could be different from person to another.
Did you use/own Sony Platinum Headset before Pulse 3D?
If you did, which do you think has better sound?

3liteDragon

Cross Posting from the DF thread.
Great work from DF showing us why ps5 is a great console

a 500 dollar console with 2080 super performance i a killer deal

but 3090 rtx only 80 % more performance than ps5 is something I did not expect ... it is 36 tflop best gfx card right now

the diminishing returns are real
Just wait until the GE is fully mastered by devs and the performance comparisons are gonna be off the charts. I don’t think people realize the kind of impact the GE (in a good way) has on gaming performance and stuff like RT with culling through extreme precision and speed.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sadly, I didn't. Platinum has 50mm drivers vs 40mm on Pulse 3D, so I bet bass is more impactful on the Platinum. To me, if you didn't own a headset before, you simply can't go wrong with Pulse 3D. It's pretty sharp, clarity is impressive, and yet has a wonderful bass that's not overwhelming and locality is one of its strongest things.

Also you can barely feel a difference between lossless wireless or bluetooth wired to the DualSense via 3.5 cable if it dies after like 12-13 hours. I charge both the DualSense and Pulse 3D with the many cellphone Type-C chargers that I already own.

Compared to 2018 Astro A40, it's vastly superior in everything, although if you own the A40 you'd still be happy with it. From now on I would only buy PS headsets.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Sadly, I didn't. Platinum has 50mm drivers vs 40mm on Pulse 3D, so I bet bass is more impactful on the Platinum. To me, if you didn't own a headset before, you simply can't go wrong with Pulse 3D. It's pretty sharp, clarity is impressive, and yet has a wonderful bass that's not overwhelming.

Also you can barely feel a difference between lossless wireless or bluetooth wired to the DualSense via 3.5 cable if it dies after like 12-13 hours. I charge both the DualSense and Pulse 3D with the many cellphone Type-C chargers that I already own.

Compared to 2018 Astro A40, it's vastly superior in everything, although if you own the A40 you'd still be happy with it. From now on I would only buy PS headsets.
The driver size doesn’t impact the bass so much. It’s the clarity and soundstage and detail too.
As far as overall sound quality, the biggest bottleneck is the USB port. Bypassing and using a usb to spdif makes a huge difference and sounds phenomenal. The USB ports are not equipped to drive audio and mic and handle processing in their current state.
The platinum is much better in every way except the mic.

FrankWza

Platinum has better specs, no? And costs close to twice the price I believe.
Different markets I guess.

Pulse 3D is more like the Gold on PS4.
There’s still new old stock available for $140 but I think the retail when it came out was $180. To me, the pulse sound better than gold but yeah, they are the low end model. Still a ridiculous deal for $99.99 with all its features and native system support.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Wait for the tools...

EDIT:

As expected, higher resolution = more occasions of frame drops.
Lower res = Solid 60fps all the time.

Pick your poison.

xsx.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom