• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Doncabesa

Wait for the tools...

EDIT:

As expected, higher resolution = more occasions of frame drops.
Lower res = Solid 60fps all the time.

Pick you poison.

xsx.jpg
This is literally the one area in the game they found it dip, but you word it like it's the norm. This one field in this one level is the only place they had it drop consistently. It's damned near a locked 60fps on both next-gen consoles for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Unsurprisingly the XSX game is 2160p, mostly 60 FPS but drops frames, and on PS5 because its 1800p, its a perfect locked 60. And the XSS is 1080p.

DF even say if the XSX version was dropped down to 1800p, they could get rid of those frame drops. Or they could put the PS5 version up to 4K, but it would likely lose its perfect framerate.

Last edited:

Doncabesa

Actually not as you expected ;) see the post above.

It's just I expected, sacrifices been made.
So a 1-second drop, and then one area that drops in a large game with tons of levels. You are acting like the game is between 50 and 60 fps most of the time when it's .01% of the time (if that). it is however 4k all of the time and 1800p all of the time. Shadows are high all the time vs. medium all the time. Odd how you focus on something so rare compared to things that are 100% of the time.

Just wait until the GE is fully mastered by devs and the performance comparisons are gonna be off the charts. I don’t think people realize the kind of impact the GE (in a good way) has on gaming performance and stuff like RT with culling through extreme precision and speed.
I remember RGT saying that Sony were sending out tutorial and codes for first and third party studios so they could actively explore the GE and use it in different ways.

He also stated that a developer told him it's like Primitive Shaders on steroids, it's fair to say we won't see games take full advantage of it till around the second or third wave of games which is like 2023 onwards.

If his leaks are correct in that the GE also heavily influenced RDNA 3's geometry handling then it should be something special.

MistBreeze

Wait for the tools...

EDIT:

As expected, higher resolution = more occasions of frame drops.
Lower res = Solid 60fps all the time.

Pick you poison.

xsx.jpg

actually it is to be expected cause of the series x advantage in gpu by 18%

but 1800 vs 2160fps not a big deal

and slowdown only for one level also not a big deal

lets be honest most will not notice these slowdowns or sub 4k res

god job and both consoles are great

JonkyDonk

Series X 8294400 pixels
PS5 5760000 pixels

Plus higher quality shadows, it's not even close. That's a last gen game as well, the biggest gap we've seen in any game, next gen games will be so much more demanding.
Biggest gap lol, forgot about AC Valhalla already? Let me remind you, they had to drop the resolution down to 1080p on XSX to barely hold 60fps in that game.

MistBreeze

why some people are preaching these negligible differences as vectory

no one will choose a console depending on these minor differences

choose the system which you prefer and play both consoles are like 90% identical performance wise

u want a huge difference

ps2 vs xbox

ps3 early gen 3rd party ports

people are not grateful specially this is the best gen performance wise

60fps was a dream in most generations

MistBreeze

1800p vs. 2160p really isn't much of a "minor difference" from a statistical standpoint. (I'm no resolution nazi myself though)

But drawing conclusions from a cross-gen game is pretty silly.
it depends on how u look at it

if it is being calculations and such maybe u see it as not minor

but if u look at it as can I see it when I playing??

I reckon no one will see the difference when playing

so it depends but it is to be expected given series x gpu advantage

MistBreeze

Funny thing is that no one here is buying this game lol
I really want to buy it

but Im more of msg and splinter cell fan

I did not play any of the hitman trilogy and I don't want to play this game without the context

and don't want to play it from the beginning at the same time

higher res = frame drops
lower res = solid 60fps

xsx.jpg

xsx-2.jpg

PS5

ps5.jpg
Maybe it's the first next-gen game without DRS.

Xbox Series X in native 4k has few dips. PS5 in native 4k should have more dips.

In static resolution, PS5 at 1800p shows constant 60fps .

Maybe with DRS PS5 should get 4k in some scenarios.

But of course, clear Xbox Series X win.

JonkyDonk

1800p vs. 2160p really isn't much of a "minor difference" from a statistical standpoint. (I'm no resolution nazi myself though)

But drawing conclusions from a cross-gen game is pretty silly.
I don't get why they chose to fix the game at those resolutions. A dynamic res solution is always the best choice imo.

I don't get why they chose to fix the game at those resolutions. A dynamic res solution is always the best choice imo.
Well fixing the resolution and lowering the shadow detail has ensured the PS5 has a perfect frame rate. I suppose it comes down to what is the most important to you.

MistBreeze

Also faster CPU
Also much faster peak memory bandwidth.
When the RDNA2 features start kicking in this sort of gap could become the norm.

faster cpu is only 100 Mhz is negligible with smt enabled which are all games use now

faster peak memory bandwidth is yes but split memory pool is not a good thing imo and it will hinder series x in some ways

gpu yes it is an advantage

I think both systems has advantages and disadvantages but to what extent??

we do not know know but will see down the line

faster cpu is only 100 Mhz is negligible with smt enabled which are all games use now

faster peak memory bandwidth is yes but split memory pool is not a good thing imo and it will hinder series x in some ways

gpu yes it is an advantage

I think both systems has advantages and disadvantages but to what extent??

we do not know know but will see down the line
CPU is a little more complicated, beyond clock speeds the latency of the CPU cores and the latency of the caches, along with the memory bandwidth timings, os stack and API overheads, all of which are important factors which contribute to overall performance.

MistBreeze

CPU is a little more complicated, beyond clock speeds the latency of the CPU cores and the latency of the caches, along with the memory bandwidth timings, os stack and API overheads, all of which are important factors which contribute to overall performance.

Im with u

Im not a professional but this is what I get from people discussions here most of them know more than I do

but anyways great consoles all around

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems like PS5 mated with X900H have a variant of VRR that is only working on that TV currently, interesting. Timestamped:

Saw this the other day.

Nobody knows shit, until shit happens. Remember the "not getting VRR at all" just a week or so prior?

I personally think Sony is trying to code with opting for the most compatible route at the moment, considering the fuckery with the 2.1 spec as well as what went on in the receivers where the XSX does not work at all with.

HDMI 2.1 has all this bandwidth, yet still can't fix handshake and audio lag issues that crop up from time to time.

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly the XSX game is 2160p, mostly 60 FPS but drops frames, and on PS5 because its 1800p, its a perfect locked 60. And the XSS is 1080p.

DF even say if the XSX version was dropped down to 1800p, they could get rid of those frame drops. Or they could put the PS5 version up to 4K, but it would likely lose its perfect framerate.

I guess the big question is why not make both 4K with DRS?

OsirisBlack

Banned
Its about how I expect this entire gen to play out either system is a fine system and games will be very similar on each
I don’t expect this much of a discrepancy for next Gen only titles. I suspect the ps4 pro and Xbox 1X are still the baseline for development and where most of the developers resources and time are spent. Then a few things are tweaked but I doubt full effort is put into anything outside of first party titles.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t expect this much of a discrepancy for next Gen only titles. I suspect the ps4 pro and Xbox 1X are still the baseline for development and where most of the developers resources and time are spent. Then a few things are tweaked but I doubt full effort is put into anything outside of first party titles.

I can not wait to see what some first party titles will look like in a couple of years on these machines.

Radical_3d

Those are called GaaFETs(Gate-all-around FETs) and that won't start risk production until late within the 1st half of this year. They won't be seen used in the fabrication of SOCs until early 2022 at the earliest.
Of course but it was a joke just to empathise how early in the generation we could have a pro compared with the PS4.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And since we know there's a 18% difference in GPU power, a 40% pixel difference will "NOT" be the norm.
It's also possible the difference is much smaller in performance. It probably is.

PS5 @ 1800P could be hitting higher than the XSX's FPS average @4k if both were unlocked.

W/O dynamic resolution, and with a locked framerate, you get these big pixel output differences w/o really knowing what the real engine performance difference was. PS5 couldn't maintain 60FPS at 4k? Dump it to 1800p.. that is a quick way to "solve that problem" lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom