• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game graphics engine designer working on both consoles says, and I quote. “The differences between these machines is negligible. Yes one edges out the other slightly but so what, our game looks and runs phenomenally.”

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

about their games presentation, they have a trailer cut and ready to show..

Asked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems.” Out of respect I won’t quote exactly what he said about it but it seems they aren’t letting current gen hold them back. I’d avoid ambitious games that are definitely aimed at PS5 and XseX if I didn’t own one or a good gaming computer.

His final thoughts, “Everyone is missing the big picture. We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits.We are able to implement systems and gameplay devices that would crush current consoles, our Lighting alone current gen drops the game to under 20fps at very low resolutions.”

Im going to see if I can actually get him or someone else to commit to an interview about their current games. By commit I mean put his name out their we just won’t be able to go into much detail about the systems but they are primed to show off 000000 O.
this is a relief. i dont care who edges who as long as they are both in the 12 tflops range.

it will be interesting to see what cross gen games can do on next gen consoles. this gen it was basically the same exact game at 1080p. some games like watch dogs didnt even hit 1080p. same lighting engine, same destruction, same everything. iirc, BF4 had more players but thats about it. Destiny, mgs5, far cry 4, cod, pretty much everything was the same.

i wonder if they will have two different lighting systems in place. ray traced GI for next gen, baked for current gen. i would love to see destruction and higher enemy/npc counts in cross gen games as well. i really dont want the same exact game at native 4k 60 fps.

this also confirms both consoles are at least on par with 2080 since i can do native 4k 60 fps on medium-high on my rtx 2080 as long as i keep rtx off.

Gediminas

Banned
He said the advantages and disadvantages were still the same.

So ps5 still slightly ahead of xbox, both so close it doesn't matter.
for me, it sounds like xbox has slighly power advantage but sony has better ssd, sound or rt..
sounds good.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Game graphics engine designer working on both consoles says, and I quote. “The differences between these machines is negligible. Yes one edges out the other slightly but so what, our game looks and runs phenomenally.”

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

Asked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems.” Out of respect I won’t quote exactly what he said about it but it seems they aren’t letting current gen hold them back. I’d avoid ambitious games that are definitely aimed at PS5 and XseX if I didn’t own one or a good gaming computer.

His final thoughts, “Everyone is missing the big picture. We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits.We are able to implement systems and gameplay devices that would crush current consoles, our Lighting alone current gen drops the game to under 20fps at very low resolutions.”

Im going to see if I can actually get him or someone else to commit to an interview about their current games. By commit I mean put his name out their we just won’t be able to go into much detail about the systems but they are primed to show off 000000 O.

You see, the point where either you or your source are complete liars is where it is suggested that the game has to run on current gen Xbox consoles. That's just made up BS. No third party developer would be stupid enough to support Xbox One S but do next gen only for the PS version (and leave 110 million potential customers). So somebody clearly thought they could make a point out of the whole "crossgen only" story for Xbox Series X and was not able to grasp that only games from Xbox Game Studios have to be crossgen. And not everything that wants to launch on XSX. Which in turn tells me that the rest is just as made-up. Osiris, you got to try harder, that's the most transparent troll post I have seen yet.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
D darkinstinct games cost a fuck ton to make. A FUCK TON. That’s an actual figure, google it.

Do you honestly think you won’t be getting cross gen games on BOTH systems? For at least a year?

Come on mate, think about it... They will be making games for the new generation, and then porting downward for the older generation, same as it’s always been launch year for everything since PS2.

Last edited:
Native 4K + locked 60fps with much better graphics fidelity compared to PS4 games? It sounds amazing but it's really possible on 12TF GPU?

It's possible with THAT 12TF GPU imo. A 9.7 5700XT outperforms a 13.8TF Vega GPU by 14%. Imagine a 12TF next gen RDNA version of the GPU (Not sure if there are any major architectural enhancements besides additional graphics features like VRS and hardware accelerated ray tracing, but even if it's exactly the same this GPU is much more capable than we are thinking. Also, with that form factor, it may draw twice the power of Xbox One X, possibly even beyond 300W. So, yea, this thing's gonna be a beast. And if it doesn't quite meet the locked 60fps on some games, they have a choice, lower the visuals some to do so, or lower the res. Dynamic res. Many options.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Native 4K + locked 60fps with much better graphics fidelity compared to PS4 games? It sounds amazing but it's really possible on 12TF GPU?
yes, 12 tflops rdna gpu should be on par with the 11.4 tflops rtx 2080. as long as you are willing to tweak 1-2 settings to medium, you can easily hit native 4k 60 fps on most games at high settings. the only games i struggled to run at native 4k was Anthem, Star Wars Fallen Jedi and of course ray traced games. But thats because ray tracing is usually tacked on and Anthem and Fallen order are very poorly optimized. Gears 5 i can run on ultra at around 50 fps, and at 60 fps with some settings down to high and medium. Again, no one really optimizes games for high end PC cards which are meant to brute force everything.

Devs have and will always be able to get more out of a console gpu than PC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
D darkinstinct games cost a fuck ton to make. A FUCK TON. That’s an actual figure, google it.

Do you honestly think you won’t be getting cross gen game so BOTH systems? For at least a year?

Come on mate, think about it... They will be making games for the new generation, and then porting downward for the older generation, same as it’s always been launch year for everything since PS2.

I almost spit out my lunch! :pie_roffles::messenger_ok:

You see, the point where either you or your source are complete liars is where it is suggested that the game has to run on current gen Xbox consoles. That's just made up BS. No third party developer would be stupid enough to support Xbox One S but do next gen only for the PS version (and leave 110 million potential customers). So somebody clearly thought they could make a point out of the whole "crossgen only" story for Xbox Series X and was not able to grasp that only games from Xbox Game Studios have to be crossgen. And not everything that wants to launch on XSX. Which in turn tells me that the rest is just as made-up. Osiris, you got to try harder, that's the most transparent troll post I have seen yet.
where did he say the game has to run on base Xbox ? He actually said the opposite?

DJ12

Thanks for listening up the thread. Something follows Soony?

darkinstinct

Also this

"We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits."

is completely crazy. That doesn't happen. Ever. If you run a locked 60 your game is actually running at an unstable 80. There is no headroom, you target a number and use that "room to spare" to lock that number down. You can't actually use the overhead, you need it.

Banned
Not shocked, and there it is.

yeah but that new dashboard literally kills horizontally oriented tabs on the top.
all the tabs are now vertically stacked.

so this image is absolutely fake, and made by someone who is not up to date with the latest design changes microsoft is currently making.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The same source said ps5 was more powerful and had just said nothing has changed.

How does thay sound like xbox is now powerful?

xbox one X is more powerful than the Pro.

It runs more games in native 4k or higher resolution.

It still doesn’t always PERFORM better, and a lot of games don’t hit as smooth frame rates as they do on pro.

So... Advantages and disadvantages.

Which side do you favour in this case? Slightly higher res but lower frame rate? Or slightly lower res but higher frame rate?

Keep in mind that over a certain res, you get serious diminishing returns, but when it comes to frame rate, the smoother the better. I know for me, j would love some X games to be a tad lower res of it meant they were smooth like the Pro versions.

Reindeer

It's possible with THAT 12TF GPU imo. A 9.7 5700XT outperforms a 13.8TF Vega GPU by 14%. Imagine a 12TF next gen RDNA version of the GPU (Not sure if there are any major architectural enhancements besides additional graphics features like VRS and hardware accelerated ray tracing, but even if it's exactly the same this GPU is much more capable than we are thinking. Also, with that form factor, it may draw twice the power of Xbox One X, possibly even beyond 300W. So, yea, this thing's gonna be a beast. And if it doesn't quite meet the locked 60fps on some games, they have a choice, lower the visuals some to do so, or lower the res. Dynamic res. Many options.
Seriously, why do you keep bringing up that Vega 64 tflop count when we all know it's a terrible GPU that's a false representation of what tflops can deliver in videogames. This is a seriously bad way to make a case for your argument.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

where did he say the game has to run on base Xbox ? He actually said the opposite?
"Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems."

Doesn't get much clearer than that, does it? There are two current X systems. Xbox One S and Xbox One X. That's why it's said in the same sentence as PS4 support. He is saying that the game is running on One S, One X, PS5 and XSX.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
yeah but that new dashboard literally kills horizontally oriented tabs on the top.
all the tabs are now vertically stacked.

so this image is absolutely fake, and made by someone who is not up to date with the latest design changes microsoft is currently making.

That image is definitely fake. Sounds like they are making it similar to a lot of productivity apps with the vertical tabs.

Also this

"We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits."

is completely crazy. That doesn't happen. Ever. If you run a locked 60 your game is actually running at an unstable 80. There is no headroom, you target a number and use that "room to spare" to lock that number down. You can't actually use the overhead, you need it.
Man you need to chill and not be so fucking entitled . No one owes you anything . You feel it’s fake ? Great don’t comment . But don’t attack the guy for bringing some info here .

Last edited:
sked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on

giphy.gif

Reindeer

I call this BS just like a recent "leaks" by this user that haven't come to fruition.

"Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems."

Doesn't get much clearer than that, does it? There are two current X systems. Xbox One S and Xbox One X. That's why it's said in the same sentence as PS4 support. He is saying that the game is running on One S, One X, PS5 and XSX.
That could be xsx and xss. So he is referring that game has to run on series s as well. He mentions his game is next gen only many times

JLB

Banned
xbox one X is more powerful than the Pro.

It runs more games in native 4k or higher resolution.

It still doesn’t always PERFORM better, and a lot of games don’t hit as smooth frame rates as they do on pro.

So... Advantages and disadvantages.

Which side do you favour in this case? Slightly higher res but lower frame rate? Or slightly lower res but higher frame rate?

Keep in mind that over a certain res, you get serious diminishing returns, but when it comes to frame rate, the smoother the better. I know for me, j would love some X games to be a tad lower res of it meant they were smooth like the Pro versions.

what a joke of comparisson. Xbox One X have much better resolutions, and better IQ almost always compared to PS4PRO, and frame dips are rare and minimum, and on very specific games.
Base Xbox One has games with better framerate that PS4 in some cases as well, if you are going to make that distinction.

Last edited:

Banned
That could be xsx and xss. So he is referring that game has to run on series s as well. He mentions his game is next gen only many times

now I would love to hear how it runs on Series S... if it's easily hitting 4K60 with lighting that would crush current gen systems, I wonder at what resolution the Series S handles this

darkinstinct

XSX and XSS are next gen X systems, not current X systems. Read the sentence. Asked about BC he said the game doesn't have to run on PS4 BUT on the current Xbox consoles.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
what a joke of comparisson. Xbox One X have much better resolutions, and better IQ almost always compared to PS4PRO, and frame dips are rare and minimum, and on very specific games.
Base Xbox One has games with better framerate that PS4 in some cases as well, if you are going to make that distinction.

It’s actually not. Of course X is doing more work, but it’s usually doing more work for minimal visual gain, where at the same time the performance is lower by sometimes upwards of 10fps, that matters, it matters a lot.

It matters even more when your game is stuttering when it should be a locker 30 or 60 and its tearing a lot more.

Don’t think I don’t understand just how much more it’s rendering - of course I do. But if it ever comes down to picking between frame rate and visuals, I will pick frame rate, every time.

JLB

Banned
It’s actually not. Of course X is doing more work, but it’s usually doing more work for minimal visual gain, where at the same time the performance is lower by sometimes upwards of 10fps, that matters, it matters a lot.

It matters even more when your game is stuttering when it should be a locker 30 or 60 and its tearing a lot more.

Don’t think I don’t understand just how much more it’s rendering - of course I do. But if it ever comes down to picking between frame rate and visuals, I will pick frame rate, every time.

what are you talking about? minimal visual gain? do you have an Xbox One X, or are you just talking because its free?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The more pressing matter is that if it’s true and not bullshit like 97.98% insider stuff, it means lockheart isnt dead, and that... well that’s a whole lot of fuck.

DJ12

Lol, you can keep ignoring the things he said will be revealed etc, but I won't.
Don't remember him putting a time on these things, it would appear he was told not to share things as the reveal was coming up and until the reveal happens I don't think you can rule anything out he's said to be honest.

You just don't like the ps5 > tfs than xbox information.

Keep believing ps5 is 9.2 tflops if you like if it makes you sleep at night. Soony your going to have to face facts though.

ethomaz

Banned

I don't want just "native 4k and locked 60fps with room to spare"... I want the best the dev can get on PS5.... that is all.
If there is room to spare then you didn't reached that yet.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
what are you talking about? minimal visual gain? do you have an Xbox One X, or are you just talking because its free?

No, I don’t own any consoles, I’ve never played a game before. I certainly don’t own all of them, including the bastard vita. I have no idea what I’m talking about, it’s not like I spent the last twenty bloody years making games.

Last edited:

Banned

these cases are very rare... in RDR2 for example not only does the One X render 2x as many pixels, it also runs smoother than the PS4pro.
every game where the game runs at lower framerates, the Developers messed up, simple as that.
in such cases they should have lowered the resolution a bit but didn't.

in a well made game the One X delivers up to 2x the resolution at the same or higher framerate.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't want just "native 4k and locked 60fps with room to spare"... I want the best the dev can get on PS5.... that is all.
If there is room to spare then you didn't reached that yet.

We heard the same things when games were being ported to the PS4 around this time and before they launched as well.

That does not mean they won't be taking advantage of as much as they can, just that early on they are surprised at the results they are getting from their targets they were pushing on the boxes.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
We heard the same things when games were being ported to the PS4 around this time and before they launched as well.

That does not mean they won't be taking advantage of as much as they can, just that early on they are surprised at the results they are getting from their targets they were pushing on the boxes.
I'm just trying to say his "Everyone is missing the big picture." is pretty flawed because looks like all the parity talk again.
That is something I don't want in any gen... take the time to get the best from a system.

I don't want more sub-optimized mid-gen upgrade too.

But of course that is me :D

Last edited:
10,4tf ps5/xsx 10,8tf clock @1700 can deliver better visuals than what Ms showed at E3 (Halo 4k60).
That's not the point, he said numerous times that certain things will soon be revealed and nothing happened. The guy has a bad enough track record with dodgy sources.
When thirst affect your judgement, i don't know why they still believe.

Reindeer

Don't remember him putting a time on these things, it would appear he was told not to share things as the reveal was coming up and until the reveal happens I don't think you can rule anything out he's said to be honest.

You just don't like the ps5 > tfs than xbox information.

Keep believing ps5 is 9.2 tflops if you like if it makes you sleep at night. Soony your going to have to face facts though.
Dude, if they read his "leaks" then it's quite evident he was hinting at stuff happening soon. Like I said, you can keep ignoring this because you want what he says to be true, but it's clear as daylight that his sources are to be doubted at the very least.

Now, let's not make this into a fanboy war by throwing accusations that I want PS5 to be 9.2 tflops when I made numerous comments on this very thread that I want PS5 to be at least 10 tflops. Making accusations just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're automatically Sony haters or whatever you label them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom