• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawel86ck

Banned
? Your streaming reasoning is completely reversed. Lol
So please prove your point if that's the case.

9 GB/s is impressive considering we are talking about I/O transfer compared to HDD, but it's still way slower compared to RAM speeds, and you cant feed 10-12TF GPU with only 9 GB/s data transfer. Developers can however allocate a streaming pool in RAM and use SDD speed this way in order to make huge RAM savings.

KUtFJoh.png

Here's detailed video memory usage in killzone shadow fall. Yes, it's PS4 game and PS5 games will use even bigger memory pool for streaming purposes but I doubt they will use the vast majority of available RAM (9 GB) just for streaming. Developers will still need to load non-streaming textures first and these textures will be a priority for them.

Great Hair

Banned
Stop inventing lies. XSS leaked target price is 250 USD. If this console actually gets released, the price could be adjusted given the situation, but not by much.

300 + 500 = $800 BOM to combat the $500 PS5

What if the XSS is major seller? NO ONE will buy the $500 XSX, they´re not just hurting Sony but also themselves. But it will hurt them more economically speaking (having two consoles versus just one).

$250 for sale, $300+ BOM add the $500 of the XSX and you will see for yourself that´s a dumb strategy.The chip for the XSS using a bad XSX chip will still cost the same as a new one 100% working (Yield).

A moneypit even bigger than gamepass.

pawel86ck

Banned

What if the XSS is major seller? NO ONE will buy the $500 XSX, they´re not just hurting Sony but also themselves. But it will hurt them more economically speaking (having two consoles versus just one).

$250 for sale, $300+ BOM add the $500 of the XSX and you will see for yourself that´s a dumb strategy.The chip for the XSS using a bad XSX chip will still cost the same as a new one 100% working (Yield).

There's no way I will buy much worse lockhart even considering a price difference and I think many enthusiasts will do the same. But I'm sure young gamers who need to ask their parents for money will be happy with lockhart, and especially considering upcoming recession.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So please prove your point if that's the case.

9 GB/s is impressive considering we are talking about I/O transfer compared to HDD, but it's still way slower compared to RAM speeds, and you cant feed 10-12TF GPU with only 9 GB/s data transfer. Developers can however allocate a streaming pool in RAM and use SDD speed this way in order to make huge RAM savings.

KUtFJoh.png

Here's detailed video memory usage in killzone shadow fall. Yes, it's PS4 game and PS5 games will use even bigger memory pool for streaming purposes but I doubt they will use the vast majority of available RAM (9 GB) just for streaming. Developers will still need to load non-streaming textures first and these textures will be a priority for them.
Good pic.

But what you have backwards is; the faster your ssd = the smaller the streaming pool needed = the more ram available to the rest of the game. Not the other way around.

The PS5 I’m theory can have half the pool reserve compared to XsX, leaving more to the game. This is why people say PS5 can have more assets per visible scene it’s exactly due to this reason.

Last edited:
could you share from what stone age maths you're using?

this and more depends on how devs utilize ssd.

there's 15% advantage for xsex gpu and there's 16% difference between 1800p and 2160p and these difference might apear just at the end of generation they won't be apparent, sorry you fail.
No, there is 44% between 1800p and 2160p. You need to multiply both X and Y scale ratios. (2160 / 1800)*( 3840 / 3200) = 1.44

Tetragrammaton_Knight

perm reply ban warning for FUD in nextGen

404. Logic not found.

Good pic.

But what you have backwards is; the faster your ssd = the smaller the streaming pool needed = the more ram available to the rest of the game. Not the other way around.

The PS5 I’m theory can have half the pool reserve compared to XsX, leaving more to the game. This is why people say PS5 can have more assets per visible scene it’s exactly due to this reason.
Yes. PS5 will have redundant gddr6 ram which can go into bettet ray tracing algorithms or other effects.

Good pic.

On top of that faster io in ps5 can replace assets in ram in less than a second meaning ram will not be filled with junk stuff. Just whats needed for the next second .

Great Hair

Banned
and how do you know that gamepass is a money pit? Asking out of curiosity.

RDR2 €60 on steam
RDR2 €60 on PS Store

RDR2€1 or €10 thru Gamepass

add all the other games from the other publishers who also want to make money with their games on gamepass, you add all up and it´s a lot of dough microsoft has to spent out of their own pocket unless they have 10mill. or more subscribers.

Even at $10 that would be not enough. They would have to sell 6mill. new subs at $10 per sub to break even with a retail copy day 1 for $60. Since there are more games on the service, one if not most will go empty handed. Hence why there are so many FILLER from the 360 and what not, no one gives a wet fart about it, just inflate the numbers.

Same applies to PS Now, but here the games are few years older might not affect them much if you can get them for free. But RDR2 is still new, fresh so to speak. How much did Microsoft have to pay to convince Rockstar to let them have it?

Gamepass requires a lot of subscribers, preferably on every platform being PS4, Tesla, Fridge, Switchs .... the more = more ppl. pay $10 = the less money Microsoft has to invest (their own moeny) to get new games for the service ...

Why do MS games come with so many mtx? Maybe because they wanna recoup part of their initial investment thru "add. digital goods". Gears 5 sold less than Gears 4 due gamepass.

They may burn lots of dough by adding €60 like RDR2 for €1 or €10/mo .. but make up for it via tons of shitty useless skins and what not. That´s the future, GaaS and only GaaS and most likely their main intent.

pasterpl

RDR2 €60 on steam
RDR2 €60 on PS Store

add all the other games from the other publishers who also want to make money with their games on gamepass, you add all up and it´s a lot of dough microsoft has to spent out of their own pocket unless they have 10mill. or more subscribers.

Even at $10 that would be not enough. They would have to sell 6mill. new subs at $10 per sub to break even with a retail copy day 1 for $60. Since there are more games on the service, one if not most will go empty handed. Hence why there are so many FILLER from the 360 and what not, no one gives a wet fart about it, just inflate the numbers.

Same applies to PS Now, but here the games are few years older might not affect them much if you can get them for free. But RDR2 is still new, fresh so to speak. How much did Microsoft have to pay to convince Rockstar to let them have it?

Gamepass requires a lot of subscribers, preferably on every platform being PS4, Tesla, Fridge, Switchs .... the more = more ppl. pay $10 = the less money Microsoft has to invest (their own moeny) to get new games for the service ...

Why do MS games come with so many mtx? Maybe because they wanna recoup part of their initial investment thru "add. digital goods". Gears 5 sold less than Gears 4 due gamepass.

They may burn lots of dough by adding €60 like RDR2 for €1 or €10/mo .. but make up for it via tons of shitty useless skins and what not. That´s the future, GaaS and only GaaS and most likely their main intent.

in may 2019 it was rumoured that there are 9.5m gpass subscribers, and in Oct-nov Ms CEO said that they have doubled so it is probably around 20m now across pc and Xbox. Then you have live gold subscriptions and ms reported around 65m monthly active users on gold in late 2019 so services revenue ms generates from gaming can be quite decent. In addition; Spencer said that Xbox Game Pass isn’t “burning money to gain customers”

sources

John254

Banned
RDR2 €60 on steam
RDR2 €60 on PS Store

I don't have a lot of time to debunk all what you put on there, because pasterpl pasterpl did it for me.

But. Are you sure about that Gears 5 "sold less?"

Brudda26

in may 2019 it was rumoured that there are 9.5m gpass subscribers, and in Oct-nov Ms CEO said that they have doubled so it is probably around 20m now across pc and Xbox. Then you have live gold subscriptions and ms reported around 65m monthly active users on gold in late 2019 so services revenue ms generates from gaming can be quite decent. In addition; Spencer said that Xbox Game Pass isn’t “burning money to gain customers”

sources

They have not confirmed 65 million active xbox live gold users. Just overall have 65million actively monthly users on xbox live. Gold subscriptions are far lower. Stop peddling misinformation to fit your narrative.

Great Hair

Banned

sources

-snip-

Thanks for the links.

Mathematically and economically speaking, even 10mil. subs paying $1 per month aint enough to sustain a new game like RDR2 coming to the service, replacing GTA5.

Don´t forget, there are add. costs from downloading games via gamepass, extra bandwidth costs that microsoft has to pay for, server rents, extra storage to accommodate the extra influx of new subscribers all downloading the newest Halo 6 day 1, etc.

There are other games from other publishers on gamepass that want to see their dividends pay out, come to fruition. At $10 per month, i have no clue how every publisher (let´s assume there are 200 games, and up to 100 publisher) get their fair share cut for the games they give microsoft to be put on gamepass.

A retailer in germany? stopped supporting microsoft since the push to gamepass, due xbox one selling poorly + no one buying their physical copies.

Expert have accused Microsoft to hide their xbox losses by mixing them up with the android licenses fees. Now they´re using that XBLive income to alleviate some of the losses generated by gamepass.

Never trust Microsoft at all. They have been under so many investigations, so many times, even the most prolific prostitute would go "man! I wish i had so many investigations in my life as a social distress curator!"

pawel86ck

Banned
Good pic.

I cant understand why you think faster SDD will reduce streaming pool size, because I'm not a developer and maybe you know certain facts I'm not aware of. The common knowledge however is 9 GB/s (PS5 SDD) cant provide data transfer for 10 TF GPU demands (that's why PS5 has 448 GB/s bandwidth, not 9 GB/s), therefore I'm guessing developers will be only able to use data that's already in fast RAM memory. Now, If memory pool for streaming (and that's data that will be used in the next 30 seconds, or even one second) will be really small like you are saying, lets say 1 GB, while PS5 can fill up 9 GB in just one second, so what will be the benefit of using the remaining 8 GB/s speed if just 1 GB/s can replace needed data in one second anyway?

If PS5 would be build with 32 GB RAM, and developers would allocate 9 GB just for streaming pool, then I could see why 9 GB/s SDD data transfer would make sense, but given current limitations (13 GB avialable to developers) I really cant understand possible benefits.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I don't have a lot of time to debunk all what you put on there, because pasterpl pasterpl did it for me.

Given the pr gymnastics, pr ambiguity and Microsofts reluctance to share numbers for Gears (like other things for a reason) what Phil is saying means absolutely shit (due to this they get no benefit of doubt). We've seen them say similar things in the past to find out instead of whole world wide sales thy were instead just comparing sales for a two day period, in an obscure month on days, like a Tues to Thurs. Thy got caught doing this several times.

This is the problem with not sharing numbers you can say wtf you want and make it true by giving general statements and metrics we don't really know about. And also this will probably include pc sales.

Either way it could have sold more because Gears 5 came at a point in which there were more Xbox one hardware sales and players. Who knows.

Last edited:

John254

Banned
Thanks for the links.

Mathematically and economically speaking, even 10mil. subs paying $1 per month aint enough to sustain a new game like RDR2 coming to the service, replacing GTA5.

Don´t forget, there are add. costs from downloading games via gamepass, extra bandwidth costs that microsoft has to pay for, server rents, extra storage to accommodate the extra influx of new subscribers all downloading the newest Halo 6 day 1, etc.

There are other games from other publishers on gamepass that want to see their dividends pay out, come to fruition. At $10 per month, i have no clue how every publisher (let´s assume there are 200 games, and up to 100 publisher) get their fair share cut for the games they give microsoft to be put on gamepass.

A retailer in germany? stopped supporting microsoft since the push to gamepass, due xbox one selling poorly + no one buying their physical copies.

Expert have accused Microsoft to hide their xbox losses by mixing them up with the android licenses fees. Now they´re using that XBLive income to alleviate some of the losses generated by gamepass.

Never trust Microsoft at all. They have been under so many investigations, so many times, even the most prolific prostitute would go "man! I wish i had so many investigations in my life as a social distress curator!"
And who said, that every sub is paying 1$ per month? I, for example bought enough GamePass Ultimate vouchers to get me through June 2021 and I didn't paid 1$ for whole sub :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And I'm pretty sure, i'm not the only one.

scie

[...]

[...]

Well a lot of the 10 mil subs pay the normal price. It is with als subscription models a lot of people forget to cancel and they are now paying full price.

The costs of downloading games are already there. You can still buy them in the store. They just flipped a switch and it is no present in the gamepass world. Also it is better for Microsoft to run their Azure data centers at a higher capacaty instead of just sitting there doing nothing.

you can be sure that the other publishers get their cut. No publisher would accept being at gamepass, if they don´t make money from it.

Yeah about that Daniel Ahmad already said they count Gamepass with that number cause it didnt do close to Gears 4 in the same time frame.

John254

Banned
Yeah about that Daniel Ahmad already said they count Gamepass with that number cause it didnt do close to Gears 4 in the same time frame.

source

Because sold means sold.

If Spencer said "Gears 5 has more players then Gears 4 in same time after release" that means sold + players through GamePass. But he said "sold"

Shmunter

I cant understand why you think faster SDD will reduce streaming pool size, because I'm not a developer and maybe you know certain facts I'm not aware of. The common knowledge however is 9 GB/s (PS5 SDD) cant provide data transfer for 10 TF GPU demands (that's why PS5 has 448 GB/s bandwidth, not 9 GB/s), therefore I'm guessing developers will be only able to use data that's already in fast RAM memory. Now, If memory pool for streaming (and that's data that will be used in the next 30 seconds, or even one second) will be really small like you are saying, lets say 1 GB, while PS5 can fill up 9 GB in just one second, so what will be the benefit of using the remaining 8 GB/s speed if just 1 GB/s will replace needed data in one second anyway?
Seriously bro? You don’t need to be a developer. 9gb/sec is a measure of speed. Like 100mp/h is measure of physical movement.

Picture a car going 100mph can get to its destination in half the speed of car going 50mph. Doesn’t matter if the destination is 1km away or 9km away.

If the car needs to deliver 100 boxes to its destination, the car going 50mph will need twice the trunk space to deliver the boxes than the car going 100mph which can do 2 trips x 50 boxes in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
Lockhart seems to be an absolute wrench in the power momentum XsX got going. Unless Microsoft ceases to manufature Xbone and Xbone X and aggressively creates incentives for trade in with your old system to make the new systems affordable as possible.

pawel86ck

Banned
Seriously bro? You don’t need to be a developer. 9gb/sec is a measure of speed. Like 100mp/h is measure of physical movement.

Picture a car going 100mph can get to its destination in half the speed of car going 50mph. Doesn’t matter if the destination is 1km away or 9km away.

If the car needs to deliver 100 boxes to its destination, the car going 50mph will need twice the trunk space to deliver the boxes than the car going 100mph which can do 2 trips x 50 boxes in the same amount of time.
Yes, I can understand 2x faster car (SDD) can theoretically replace it's cargo (data) 2x faster, but that's only assuming there will be a PLACE FOR IT in the storeroom and that's the problem I wanted to adress.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Completely disagree, but theres no reason why they couldnt include a camera choice. If Bethesda's developers can figure it out, Im sure CDPR can.

They show the player character standing in front of the mirror in that video, but whats the point of dressing them up if you cant see them? Its a bit like a game that lets you create your face, but then you spend the entire game with a helmet on for max armor.

In general I'm not much into FPS but it feels like fake VR and doesn't connect me to the main character and most of the time the protagonist is quite forgettable. Just remember Vaas in Far Cry 3 was way, way more superior compared to the protagonist, same goes to the Jackal in FC2 (my best sequel and the most serious and respectful one), Pagan Min in FC4, The Father in FC5. Overall, customization is laughable to say the least for FPS.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's mostly preference. Probably that's why PS exclusives are the best games to me.

Honestly, having gone on an immersive simulator bing these last few months with BioShock and Dishonored, there isn't much wrong with first person. But the issue I see with cyberpunk is it's all about the world and stuff and it is an RPG, doesn't make sense you can't see your character that you create.
It also doesn't help that the gameplay they've shown so far really does just seem like standard first-person shooter stuff. Hopefully, it's improved from how janky it looked before.

Yeah, I would see it being a much better game to me at least as TPS, that's why I'm not too hyped about it. I can see it being a very insanely good game anyway.

early on it was rumored to be FPS and TPS. That would be awesome :(. Like in Skyrim. I am the type of guy who needs to see his char with the aquired armor and shit

Well, I'm sorry to say it but personally every time I see Skyrim gameplay I feel like I'm gonna vomit. The engine itself is so outdated and is in my unwanted list. It can turn around that and be on top, like The Witcher 3 as 2 and 1 feel like indie games despite having great story.

I didn't realize countries still follow the moon sighting. At my place it's strictly by calendar. And Ramazan Mubarak to all members who keep fast during this month.

Yeah, it's great as well to let our fellow flat-earthers think about it. Problem is, we need to deal with those guys first:

32253270_2076406875906184_8048627842071658496_n.png

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yes, I can understand 2x faster car (SDD) can theoretically replace it's cargo (data) 2x faster, but that's only assuming there will be a PLACE FOR IT in the storeroom and that's the problem I wanted to adress.
But the storeroom can be half the size because you can replenish it twice as fast. Same same.

Ascend

Your theory doesn't has bases is closer to be conspiracy plot than a technical reason of why XSX has the perfect memory, we don't heard from anyone to say XSX change the way
how the memory works.
I never said it was 'perfect'. If it was perfect you wouldn't have to go through all this mumbo jumbo to get the results you want.
But thanks for calling my post a conspiracy plot. Saves me the trouble of having to explain anything else since you've already judged it as such.

Read below . Someone on beyond3d suggested there were timing issues trying to do more simultaneuous things between the 6 and 10...so maybe MS did try. There are 4 operations per clock and its complex.

You would think for the premium they would just go with all 2GB, especially with Lockart option.

m0LJxFV.png

The signals are complex and timing on memory access using te common bus as well, thats why its better having it all the same apparanetly. Its not so straight forward. See what the signal actually looks like below per memory clock

EBR1I34.png

nEyqNqo.png
I already reacted to this here.

maybe, because on one side the architect of the PS5 is also a an industry veteran developer and know which part of a hardware will give struggle a developer.
You mean the same company that created the PS3? Sony only really started listening to developers with the PS4. And Microsoft does the same thing, so...

On the other side as incredible as the Surface team be, they maybe have no personn (as far as we know) as cerny that had the two knowledge of hardware (since Sega era) and Software (since VCS2600).
And it's reflecting into the conception of both hardware. One more classical (XsX) and the other more balanced and exotic.
Whether the PS5 is more 'balanced' remains to be seen. And more 'exotic' (whatever that means) remains to be seen as well. No console has had the form factor of the XSX before. It can be considered quite exotic from that perspective. We don't even know what the PS5 will look like yet. No one can deny Cerny's knowledge. But no one person designs a whole system.

It's a good design for bandwidth. But a really bad design for latency.
CPU will access ram. It will access it much less frequently than GPU. Will be placed always in second tier and will always incur 2x latency penalty.
Caches work because their latency is much smaller than each "higher" tier.
Technically, GDDR in itself is not great for latency. That's what DDR is for. But you're right.

Darius87

Also true.

1800p has about 31% less pixels than 2160p
2160p has 44% more pixels than 1800p

But here XSX has 18% more tf than PS5 so the second comparison (44%) fits.
to be exact both resolutions should be 30.56% because it's difference between the two aslo xsx has 15.04% more(or difference) tf then ps5 i don't know why some says it's 1% < 18%. > 1%.
Python:
def percentage_calc(a, b):
    if a > b:
        return round(100 - (b * 100 / a), 2)
    if b > a:
        return round(100 - (a * 100 / b), 2)
    else:
        return 0

print(percentage_calc(2160*3840, 1800*3200))
print(percentage_calc(10.28, 12.1))

Sethbacca

But how many of those were people like me that took advantage of the cheap ass promos to play outer worlds then dropped it without ever paying full price?

Darius87

the storage is a RAM(448gb/s) your point would be valid if ssd somehow could deliver more then 448gb/s then i would not fit in storage but it's 9gb/s.

Corndog

Banned
Good pic.

It has less bandwidth though. The lower the bandwidth the less total images you can display.

Corndog

Banned
UGE number of awesome games: Sonic 2, Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet (many entries), God of War 3,The Last Guardian, Spiderman, Death Stranding... Truly impressive!
Last time he was a programmer was 2003.

Edit: Also look at his position on those games. He is not designing or programming them. Only games he directed were the 2 knack games and we know how well they were received. Obviously he has more important things to work on.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Given the pr gymnastics, pr ambiguity and Microsofts reluctance to share numbers for Gears (like other things for a reason) what Phil is saying means absolutely shit (due to this they get no benefit of doubt). We've seen them say similar things in the past to find out instead of whole world wide sales thy were instead just comparing sales for a two day period, in an obscure month on days, like a Tues to Thurs. Thy got caught doing this several times.

This is the problem with not sharing numbers you can say wtf you want and make it true by giving general statements and metrics we don't really know about. And also this will probably include pc sales.

Either way it could have sold more because Gears 5 came at a point in which there were more Xbox one hardware sales and players. Who knows.

When your product sells well, surpasses expectations - whatever you want to call it - you put the numbers out there. It's as simple as that. If you are hiding the numbers and doing account gymnastics it's because the numbers aren't good enough and confidence from the shareholders will take a hit.

It's only nonsense for the fanboys.

DaGwaphics

????? You don't need to manufacture a high-end unit with every low-end unit you make. LOL The BOM wouldn't stack.

I do agree that using faulty XSX chips would probably result in the low-end console costing much more to produce than it should. Or, lockhart will be available in limited supplies. As long as faulty chips were used, you'd be looking great (these are basically free), but if demand forced the use of fully working chips, eek. I assume the lockhart is more powerful than we think, if it is in fact using a derivative die. Let's say they scaled back to 44CUs @ 1Ghz that's 5.6TF (a more reasonable 1.2Ghz is 6.7TF). Only MS knows at this point what the projected yields are. If they are really pushing the clocks for the size of the chip, and yields are as bad as they were for AMD on the 5700XT, than this could totally make sense. If they've backed off of the max clock achievable with RDNA2 (like they did with Scorpio), that combined with the disabled CUs would make it unlikely that they have enough binned chips to do much of anything with.

They've had two production lines in place for the last 3yrs, so I don't think a separate and much narrower chip are out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom