• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetragrammaton_Knight

perm reply ban warning for FUD in nextGen
To be fair he was talking about the bill of materials. And as for what's a lie or not that's impossible to tell at this point since it's all just rumors at the moment.
BOM or not does not change much. If MS targets 250USD as retail price, it means they expect XSS to be cheaper or close to 250USD to produce. And there are numerous ways for them to be able to achieve such a low price. For example, they could use the leftovers of XSX chips that had too many non-working CUs and/or could not reach the necessary clocks to build XSS consoles - then XSX price would cover almost all chip production costs and XSS would be getting them at minimum cost (basically buyers of high-end XSX console will be financing the cheap price of XSS). There are many other things where they can and will cut costs or increase profitability with XSS...

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I don’t quite understand how they expect XsS to work for them– if trying to emulate their success with 360 arcade – as everything seems to be in the wrong direction for them this time with sizes and costs.

The 360 arcade had the price advantage while still selling the same console experience(mostly). It was a transition from a PS2/Cube generation console, so it didn’t need much storage and could rely on the optical drive. It didn’t need to network – so a LAN port was fine – and that complimented the lack of storage for big digital game selling - for those arcade customers without usb option. But it had the same baseline (GPU/CPU/RAM/IO bandwidth via SD memory/optical) and could be upgraded to the premium with paid add-ons. Low entry price, yet fully scalable, meaning all the development effort for the Premium was realised in the arcade, too.

In an ideal situation they’d be able to keep the XsX main features and save money on the rest, but unlike the arcade, nothing they take away from the periphery saves anything to make a dent in the BoM, and anything they can save big with is locked in the heart of the hardware, and will split development and likely do nothing to help save mfr costs of the XsX– like the arcade was able to do for the premium.

With all the talk of PS5 narrow/faster vs XsX wider/slower, what they choose for the XsS APU solution will be very interesting. If they go with a different chip, then in reality the XsX will be competing with both PS5 and XsS for survival. In that situation the XsX will probably need to outsell XsS significantly to secure its future, and at a price that doesn’t lose money. Hopefully they are using the same 52CU APU to gain mfr benefits for both, otherwise it feels like the real next-gen might be PS5 competing against a last-gen XsS until the mid-gen refresh – which is very annoying considering the XsX looks like a top class product.

RespawnX

Most expensive game ever created
Perfect Dark
AAAA
#LOL

Halo 6, just a AAA game
$500millions

Fake!

BOM
XSX $500
PS5 $500
XSS $350 to 400 with repurposed xsx soc ...

$900 to combat the PS5 $500 ...

The Initiative is calling themselves "AAAA"-Studio. He states "one of the most expensive" games. Obviously "AAAA" is PR. On the other side, huge open world games are really expensive. So AAAA simply may mean "shitload of money" invested. Leak corresponds with other leaks of the past months. Well, I'm still very sceptical.

I don't think XSS will surpass 350, my guess is still 299 ... can't imagine lower price, maybe with 500 gb SSD.

Last edited:

SonGoku

PaintTinJr PaintTinJr
I think (if it exists) it will be advertised as a next gen xbox for people with 1080p sets. Kinda like they market XB1S & XB1X
The only issue is this will cannibalize XSX sales outside launch month and if XSX becomes a minority (1/4 X to S) will devs optimize for it or just bruteforce resolution and a few extra effects here and there? So similar development environment as XB1S->XB1X

DaGwaphics

I think (if it exists) it will be advertised as a next gen xbox for people with 1080p sets. Kinda like they market XB1S & XB1X
The only issue is this will cannibalize XSX sales outside launch month and if XSX becomes a minority (1/4 X to S) will devs optimize for it or just bruteforce resolution and a few extra effects here and there? So similar development environment as XB1S->XB1X

You'd think devs would be optimizing first and foremost for the XSX, it being the most similar in power to the PS5 with high-end PC being thrown in there as well. Third-parties don't really develop these things separately for the different consoles, locking XSX and PS5 into pole position. If PS5 had a low spec model, then things could shift, but then what are we even talking about (that would just be the reality of the market). Switch ports are generally outsourced teams, but that's a completely different animal, very low bandwidth.

PaintTinJr

PaintTinJr PaintTinJr
Yeah, which was sort of my point, if the XsS becomes the install base where games are selling most on xbox and developers might already be prioritising PS5's large(expected) install base, then they'd focus PS5, then modify design to work on XsS. XsX would then likely be the XsS version dialled up, and the PS5 will seem more like a different game.

Last edited:

SonGoku

You'd think devs would be optimizing first and foremost for the XSX, it being the most similar in power to the PS5 with high-end PC being thrown in there as well. Third-parties don't really develop these things separately for the different consoles, locking XSX and PS5 into pole position. If PS5 had a low spec model, then things could shift, but then what are we even talking about (that would just be the reality of the market). Switch ports are generally outsourced teams, but that's a completely different animal, very low bandwidth.
Don't most AAA studios have separate teams to handle Playstation & Xbox development? The important question then becomes which audience they prioritize XSX or XSS? They'll optimize for one and then downport/up port to the other or Xbox systems don't have low level optimizations?

The way it works now is they develop/optimize around PS4/XB1S and then do a cheap scale up to Pro/X. Asking the Xbox team to spend the same amount of time on each console might not be realistic.
Personally i think MS will wait a couple of years until Xsx is established to release locker

Last edited:

Ascend

Out of curiosity, I did some algebra to calculate what resolution would PS5 multiplats run on assuming the resolution difference is 1-to-1 to the teraflops difference.

Meaning if the XSX version of multiplat game X runs at native 4K, the PS5 version will run at about 1992p resolution. How close is that? It's more than close enough for RIS to make a 1992p image look as good as native 4K.

Below, running Metro Exodus at 1800p (70% of native 4K) with RIS almost looks as good as 4K. On Battlefield V, running at 1900p (78% of native 4K) with RIS actually looks sharper than 4K.

All true. But if the XSX also implements RIS, we'll be back to square one.

Tetragrammaton_Knight

PaintTinJr PaintTinJr

I keep hearing this nonsense in this thread - "cannibalize sales". Please explain how? Because it does not work the way you think it works. Console hardware either brings minimal profits or is sold at a loss. It's games, services and accessories sales where MS and Sony make almost all of the money in this business. This means that the more people are using their platform the better. And this exactly the reason why they were so eager to sell console hardware even at loss in the past just to get it in as many hands as possible. Sales cannibalization concept is simply not applicable here.

Just a simple example, if instead of selling 100 XSX consoles MS will sell 100 XSS and 50 XSX - it will be a huge win for them, they will make much more money in the long run.

And please stop comparing XSS/XSX to X1S/X1X, it is a completely different approach. If all rumors are true about XSS/XSX, then devs will be building games for XSX and then simply reduce the target resolution for XSS. The visuals, effects and features will be identical.

DaGwaphics

Don't most AAA studio have separate teams to handle Playstation & Xbox development? The important question then becomes which audience they prioritize XSX or XSS? They'll optimize for one and then downport/up port to the other or Xbox systems don't have low level optimizations.

When you watch the development videos, everything seems to get designed with a similar tool set and then just compiled and optimized for each platform. With just the differential code being adjusted as needed. I think the engines handle a lot of cross platform work, too. Maybe they do have different teams handling optimization, don't know, but the base game doesn't really change with optimization. PS5 and XSX will be getting the same games from third-parties, just like the ps360 era, and the current one, I can't see them building an entirely different game for consoles that devs have described as very close in performance. Will the PS5 net a few more frames or higher resolution in software that really works the SSD, maybe. Same for XSX with code that stresses the shaders to the max. Still the same games. If lockhart anchors anything, it anchors everything. I think they'll just lower settings to make it work (assuming the system has a reasonable amount of bandwidth, memory, etc.).

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Well, that's not the whole story. If you compare a GPU that has the same amount of CUs running at 1.8 GHz vs 2.2 GHz, obviously the one at 1.8 GHz will be more efficient.
One with 36CU at 2.2 GHz vs one at 52 CUs at 1.8 GHz... That's not so straightforward. We have insufficient data to determine this. But if we consider that one has SmartShift and lower clocks for the CPU, I don't really think that the XSX will be using less power than the PS5.
We are talking efficiency not total energy usage. Even Cerny said a 10 percent power reduction will barely lower the speed. That tells you it is at the high end of the power curve.

SonGoku

I keep hearing this nonsense in this thread - "cannibalize sales". Please explain how? Because it does not work the way you think it works. Console hardware either brings minimal profits or is sold at a loss. It's games, services and accessories sales where MS and Sony make almost all of the money in this business. This means that the more people are using their platform the better. And this exactly the reason why they were so eager to sell console hardware even at loss in the past just to get it in as many hands as possible. Sales cannibalization concept is simply not applicable here.

Just a simple example, if instead of selling 100 XSX consoles MS will sell 100 XSS and 50 XSX - it will be a huge win for them, they will make much more money in the long run.
It wasn't with negative connotation, i don't know of a better word to describe XSS eating into XSX sales. The strategy must have its merits otherwise MS wouldn't do it
My speculation was merely from the development stand point and i even said about the only issue with it
And please stop comparing XSS/XSX to X1S/X1X, it is a completely different approach. If all rumors are true about XSS/XSX, then devs will be building games for XSX and then simply reduce the target resolution for XSS.
Different because devs will develop on XSX and downport to XSS right? But if XSS becomes 3/4 the xbox install base wouldn't devs prioritize said console instead?
The visuals, effects and features will be identical.
This can apply irrespective of the path they take
XSX->XSS or XSS->XSX

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Don't most AAA studios have separate teams to handle Playstation & Xbox development? The important question then becomes which audience they prioritize XSX or XSS? They'll optimize for one and then downport/up port to the other or Xbox systems don't have low level optimizations?

The way it works now is they develop/optimize around PS4/XB1S and then do a cheap scale up to Pro/X. Asking the Xbox team to spend the same amount of time on each console might not be realistic.
Personally i think MS will wait a couple of years until Xsx is established to release locker
They will make XSX version and it will run on both. No need to change anything unless they have performance issues.

Ascend

We are talking efficiency not total energy usage. Even Cerny said a 10 percent power reduction will barely lower the speed. That tells you it is at the high end of the power curve.
I completely agree. But Smartshift increases efficiency to performance ratio, at least compared to its own setup. I guess we'll see.

And we know it’s not using HBM. Maybe they had plans for that and cancelled or it has nothing to do with ram.
Agreed

Tetragrammaton_Knight

This can apply irrespective of the path they take
XSX->XSS or XSS->XSX

Exactly, because feature wise they will be identical. However developers won't be building for 2 separate platforms on 2 separate dev kits. They will be building games on a single XSX dev kit with XSS mode (at least this is the current state of things). Basically same as developing for a single platform, just with 2 target resolutions.
This reminds me of Nintendo Switch approach.

It will be groundbreaking if MS manages to pull this off.

can xbox series x do dlss 2.0?

Well, they will use a similar approach with DirectML upscaling: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...on_game-changer_that_nobody_s_talking_about/1

Last edited:
Reactions: VCL

SonGoku

When you watch the development videos, everything seems to get designed with a similar tool set and then just compiled and optimized for each platform. With just the differential code being adjusted as needed. I think the engines handle a lot of cross platform work, too. Maybe they do have different teams handling optimization, don't know, but the base game doesn't really change with optimization. PS5 and XSX will be getting the same games from third-parties, just like the ps360 era, and the current one, I can't see them building an entirely different game for consoles that devs have described as very close in performance. Will the PS5 net a few more frames or higher resolution in software that really works the SSD, maybe. Same for XSX with code that stresses the shaders to the max. Still the same games. If lockhart anchors anything, it anchors everything. I think they'll just lower settings to make it work (assuming the system has a reasonable amount of bandwidth, memory, etc.).
This is all true, due to same SDK, APIs and architectures (between base & enhanced consoles) X/Pro versions are financially viable as engines scale. Since they already are much more powerful the X/Pro miss however some of the low level optimizations; devs don't spend as much time getting the most out of the hardware which can free more resources but nothing groundbreaking as you said.

From what i understand PS4 development environment has less overhead which is why Pro needed the butterfly design to ensure backwards and forward compatibility while MS has a wrapper which means more compatibility/scaling but less low level access. So in the end prioritizing XSX or XSS development might not make much of a difference

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

What’s the opposite of exaggerate? Understate.

Sony is delivering a system like no other, and many cannot see it...yet. Sony’s fault for not bringing the tangible proof. It’s only a matter of time.
The best way to show this proof is with a first-party demo, just imagine a HZD2 video showing Aloy flying on a winged machine, speed and LOD being insane with no pop-in at all.

SonGoku

They will be building games on a single XSX dev kit with XSS mode (at least this is the current state of things)
How do you know it won't be the other way around? Developed on XSS kit and scaled up for XSX since it shares the same development environment/wrapper
For one it makes sense to optimize for the weak console to make sure it meets its target.

Lockart wasn't revealed yet might not even launch simultaneously

How do you know it won't be the other way around? Developed on XSS kit and scaled up for XSX since it shares the same development environment/wrapper
For one it makes sense to optimize for the weak console to make sure it meets its target.

So essentially the XSX will play Lockhart games at 4K?

Thats one way to handle this.

DrKeo

You could probably have said that easier by saying they don't have the same bottlenecks, and when we consider the pitch made by Cerny for the PS5, every aspect of the design was considering how to remove bottlenecks - which by comparison to the mess of the XsX memory configuration in context of it supposedly being a HSA design - surely the marginal TF difference in your opinion is more than made up by the higher clock and absence of bottlenecks, no?

edit: Can you elaborate on this "and they don't have the same amount of cache."? I assume you are referring to the GPU L2 cache sizes, rather than 52/2 * unit L2 module size vs 36/2 * unit L2 module size?
Cerny focused on bottlenecks in his presentation because he wanted to emphasize the SSD, but just because he said that bottlenecks are a priority doesn't make the PS5 bottlenecks-less console. According to every leak we've had it seems as if Sony had experimented with higher than 500GB/s memory bandwidth for months if not years and back then the PS5 GPU profile was just 9.2TF, now it's over 2200Mhz and they only have 448GB/s, probably because GDDR6 prices spiked really hard. 448GB/s has to handle a GPU more powerful than the 5700XT (which has 448GB/s all to itself), a powerful CPU, 8-9 GB/s of streaming SSD data, an up to 20GB/s audio chip, RT which is a HUGE bandwidth hog and denoising which loves bandwidth just as much. That sounds like a potential bottleneck.

But again, each and every PS5 bottleneck or shortcoming can be canceled by lowering the resolution.

Regarding cache, L0 is inside the CU and XSX has 44% more CUs, hance more L0 cache. In RDNA the L2 is tied to the memory controller so each 32-bit PHY has 512KB. PS5 has 8 PHYs which means 4MB of L2, XSX has 10 PHYs which means 5MB. One of them might have made some custom changes, but that's what we know right now.

Has the number of ROPs been revealed for the PS5 and Xbox Series X yet? 🤔
Both had 64 ROPs in Github and it is unlikely to change so late in the process.

And kill their bandwidth in the process? Yeah... They won't do that.

And yes, the difference looks big on paper between these two, but the reason developers are talking about the SSDs of both, is because the difference between them is really not THAT important. Why? Because they are both in comparison to HDDs.

An HDD can guarantee around 50 MB/s of data. If you need to load 10GB of data into RAM from the HDD, it will take 200 seconds, or over 3 minutes.
The XSX will do the same thing in just under 2.1 seconds
The PS5 will do the same thing in just over 1 second.

So for the Xbox you're going from 3 minutes to 2 seconds
For the PS5 you're going from 3 minutes to 1 second.

And you think the difference between them is "big"? You think developers will really care enough to champion the SSD of one over the other? Who is going to complain about a 1 second difference, if before you needed 3 minutes to do the same thing?
Kill the bandwidth? Replacing the 1GB chips with 2GB chips will improve their bandwidth, not reduce it. It will make the whole 20GB run at 560GB/s, no split speeds or weird memory addressing, just a unified 20GB running at 560GB/s. So yes, it's probably MS's only solution to combat Sony's SSD if they want to combat it just like clock speed was Sony's only tool vs MS's CU count.

Regarding the SSD, both getting a huge IO leap in the shape of the SSD is the big win for next-gen. But you can't ignore Sony's ~2x advantage in that area. Will it matter? Time will tell, we haven't had games designed around something like this since the N64.

You mean rasterization combined with RT or is node-based GI something else?
When I say node based GI I mean methods used today in games like Control. It's a rasterized effect using prebaked nodes in order to do GI. I know of two ways of enhancing node based GI. The first is using RT in order to remedy (pun intended!) node based GI artifacts which Control uses in the PC RTX version. The other is using RT in order to keep updating the nodes so the nodes are not baked but updated every few frames. Both methods still use rasterization while utilizing RT in order to make the effect better. It's not RT GI, but it is something worlds better than the current generation and it can look very impressive. But it's not RT GI which is currently the heaviest RT effect I know, much more demending than RT reflections or RT shadows.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

As devs start pushing for more intensive visuals neither console will hit native i think, they might rely on dynamic rez + reconstruct techniques/ris

I have zero problems with that approach. I havent seen RIS in person. I have seen some amazing 4KCB on my set and it looked extremely good, blew me away.

Ive been on B3D and some of those guys even say native 4k wasnt worth it for PRO and 1X since reconstruction techniques were so good. Seeing them saying that and what Ive personally witnessed made me feel good about CB.

Id rather have all the bells and whistles with reconstruction than for devs to leave stuff out just to hit native.

But you can't ignore Sony's ~2x advantage in that area. Will it matter? Time will tell, we haven't had games designed around something like this since the N64.

That's a really good question. Between the two systems it is the biggest difference. But what I don't know is how they difference will translate to real world performance.

Will games load faster on the PS5? Sure they will. Will streaming be better? Yep. How about pop in? That as well.

But what I'm not sure of is if it will be so much better that everyone will notice it. If the Xbox went with a traditional HDD then the difference would be massive and everyone would see it. But since it they both use SSDs I'm not so sure.

Anyways I believe in the end it will be up to 1st parties to really prove what they can do with these systems. I'm pretty sure that the ones who will really show off what the SSDs are capable of will be developers like Guerilla Games for example.

Tetragrammaton_Knight

Well, nobody knows how it will be in the future and whether XSS actually launches or not, but right now developers have only a single dev kit for XSX, which has been confirmed by numerous sources. I understand that:
- XSX dev kit has a switch to XSS mode.
- XSX targets 4K, but it seems that it will actually render at 1600-1800p and upscale using DirectML or other techniques to 4K in order to reach higher performance for demanding games.
- PS5 performance is somewhere in between XSS mode and XSX.

This is a general impression I've got. But a lot of details are completely unknown, we can't be even 100% sure that XSS will target 1080p. It just seems the only reasonable approach here based on leaked info and TVs being only 1080p or 4K.
Which mode XSX or XSS devs will use as target is also unknown. It could be even some hybrid approach of testing the code back and forth. All in all, if both these consoles will be identical feature wise with difference only being target resolution, it won't matter much what mode will be used IMHO.

So essentially the XSX will play Lockhart games at 4K?

Thats one way to handle this.
It's all semantics. If MS indeed is pursuing the suspected approach, then you can say either "XSX will play XSS games at 4K" or "XSS will play XSX games at 1080p". It could be reminiscent of Switch handheld and docked modes.

DaGwaphics

It's all semantics. If MS indeed is pursuing the suspected approach, then you can say either "XSX will play XSS games at 4K" or "XSS will play XSX games at 1080p". It could be reminiscent of Switch handheld and docked modes.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: It is splitting hairs for the most part.

MS sure has made a joke out of us if no additional next-gen Xbox consoles are announced.

Ascend

Kill the bandwidth? Replacing the 1GB chips with 2GB chips will improve their bandwidth, not reduce it. It will make the whole 20GB run at 560GB/s, no split speeds or weird memory addressing, just a unified 20GB running at 560GB/s. So yes, it's probably MS's only solution to combat Sony's SSD if they want to combat it just like clock speed was Sony's only tool vs MS's CU count.
I thought you meant keeping the RAM at 16GB and replacing the four 1GB chips with two 2GB chips. That would reduce the bandwidth to equal of the PS5. But 560GB/s and 20GB is another issue. Cost will go up significantly. They didn't go with this setup for nothing.

Regarding the SSD, both getting a huge IO leap in the shape of the SSD is the big win for next-gen. But you can't ignore Sony's ~2x advantage in that area. Will it matter? Time will tell, we haven't had games designed around something like this since the N64.
The XSX will have to use more RAM to achieve the same result. That's the only difference you'll see. That's assuming all else is equal, which it most likely won't be. Hard to tell who will have to advantage in the rest of the I/O system.
I don't think they'll need to 'combat' the PS5 SSD. The XSX is fine in its own right.

THEAP99

Banned
Hmm....very interesting, seems like more and more reports and rumors are saying the same things, looks like this is it boys, hopefully...

If sony show the last of us part 2 on ps5 before even releasing it on ps4
giphy.gif

THEAP99

Banned
Why? Is there a problem with that?
yes. if they plan on releasing the game before ps5 on ps4 that's basically hurting the potential of the game. not to mention misleading as hell
I'm going to go on a hunch and say right now that neither Ghost of Tsushima or The Last of Us Part 2 will be at the ps5 event if it is next month.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Exactly, because feature wise they will be identical. However developers won't be building for 2 separate platforms on 2 separate dev kits. They will be building games on a single XSX dev kit with XSS mode (at least this is the current state of things). Basically same as developing for a single platform, just with 2 target resolutions.
This reminds me of Nintendo Switch approach.

It will be groundbreaking if MS manages to pull this off.

Well, they will use a similar approach with DirectML upscaling: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...on_game-changer_that_nobody_s_talking_about/1

With all due respect, the DirectML and tech like it is pie in the sky wishfulness. Might as well expect that the Xbox series x will do full raytracing (It won't, and we're years away from that kind of power). The idea of having a low level texture on disk for a game and low level texture needing little memory being read into the GPU, then magically transformed to a 4k or 8k texture via deep learning, is WAAAY wishful thinking. The compute power needed to do that for a single frame is not insignificant, let alone 60 FPS. 120FPS? Uh-uh.

These are cool technologies that like ray tracing may start to be used little by little, MAYBE even this generation. We probably won't see much of note though till next generation or at least a 5 year or so "mid gen refresh." I wish it weren't true, but I keep seeing people oversimplifying what is required for this image restoration work and way understating the requirements and resources required. IMHO at any rate. We'll see what THAT is worth once we have actual demo's of games and features announced. I HOPE I'm wrong and these machines can upscale all their graphics via the magic of AI and deep learning. I just don't think that's feasible.

Shmunter

I thought you meant keeping the RAM at 16GB and replacing the four 1GB chips with two 2GB chips. That would reduce the bandwidth to equal of the PS5. But 560GB/s and 20GB is another issue. Cost will go up significantly. They didn't go with this setup for nothing.

The XSX will have to use more RAM to achieve the same result. That's the only difference you'll see. That's assuming all else is equal, which it most likely won't be. Hard to tell who will have to advantage in the rest of the I/O system.
I don't think they'll need to 'combat' the PS5 SSD. The XSX is fine in its own right.
Where will more ram come from on XsX? Both are fixed at 16gb unless there is some secret ram cart expansion on Xbox still under wraps.

Indeed if XsX runs higher rez than PS5 even more ram will be blocked for the frame buffer leaving even less ram for asset quality or variety.

Tetragrammaton_Knight

With all due respect, the DirectML and tech like it is pie in the sky wishfulness. Might as well expect that the Xbox series x will do full raytracing (It won't, and we're years away from that kind of power). The idea of having a low level texture on disk for a game and low level texture needing little memory being read into the GPU, then magically transformed to a 4k or 8k texture via deep learning, is WAAAY wishful thinking. The compute power needed to do that for a single frame is not insignificant, let alone 60 FPS. 120FPS? Uh-uh.

These are cool technologies that like ray tracing may start to be used little by little, MAYBE even this generation. We probably won't see much of note though till next generation or at least a 5 year or so "mid gen refresh." I wish it weren't true, but I keep seeing people oversimplifying what is required for this image restoration work and way understating the requirements and resources required. IMHO at any rate. We'll see what THAT is worth once we have actual demo's of games and features announced. I HOPE I'm wrong and these machines can upscale all their graphics via the magic of AI and deep learning. I just don't think that's feasible.

You got it all wrong, DirectML upscaling purpose is not to increase texture quality on the fly. In short we had very limited use of upscale in the past, because techniques like bilinear upscale produced extremely blurry results (upscaled image had less details than original of smaller size). Then came checkerboard rendering, which somewhat improved the quality of upscale, made it at least bearable, but still far from perfect. And now with ML the upscaled picture will be of the same quality as original (sometimes perceived even better than the low-res original) and most importantly it won't have aliasing! So basically ML upscale will be replacing AA techniques, with minimal visual downgrade but significant improvement in performance due to rendering at lower resolution.

Check out the reviews of nVidia DLSS 2.0. Native 4K with TAA (blurry yes, but most games use it anyway) is almost indistinguishable from 1440p upscaled by DLSS, while providing enormous performance boost.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm....very interesting, seems like more and more reports and rumors are saying the same things, looks like this is it boys, hopefully...

Have any of you ever noticed that these reddit leaks only seem to pop up after reliable information has been revealed from people like Zhuge (Daniel Ahmed) and Jason Schrier, these "leaks" just seem to recycle a lot of known reports from more credible people and they drizzle it with a little fan-fiction.

EDIT: Wow that bellend that posted it on the reddit sub seems to have deleted the post, proves my point tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinthor

Gold Member
You got it all wrong, DirectML upscaling purpose is not to increase texture quality on the fly. In short we had very limited use of upscale in the past, because techniques like bilinear upscale produced extremely blurry results (upscaled image had less details than original of smaller size). Then came checkerboard rendering, which somewhat improved the quality of upscale, made it at least bearable, but still far from perfect. And now with ML the upscaled picture will be of the same quality as original (sometimes perceived even better than the low-res original) and most importantly it won't have aliasing! So basically ML upscale will be replacing AA techniques, with minimal visual downgrade but significant improvement in performance due to rendering at lower resolution.

Check out the reviews of nVidia DLSS 2.0. Native 4K with TAA (blurry yes, but most games use it anyway) is almost indistinguishable from 1440p upscaled by DLSS, while providing enormous performance boost.

Ah...I thought this was talking about the same tech I've seen demos of that upscaled and corrected a video from say 1904 with all the grain and noise and makes it 4k. Seems to be how they're describing it in the articles though to be fair that may be just tech-nerd journalism at work then. If It's not the same 'deep learning' type of tech I stand corrected. I have seen people claiming that this will in fact be the case (using a 40kb texture and somehow magically inflating it into a 4k texture) so that's where I was coming from.

For the record, I DO think those deep learning techniques will fundamentally change a LOT of thing for us. More so even than compression did initially, by a long ways. I just don't believe we're close yet to that kind of technology being feasible. Although I have to say..though it's not graphics related, they are doing some almost spooky stuff with deep learning in the cyber security space. There's a product called "Deep Instinct" for example that I've been looking at for my company. They were making what seemed to be outlandish claims about their product but from what I've seen so far....it appears to be realistic! Really amazing stuff. I still don't buy that we'll be able to generate TRUE AI either, but with deep learning, we really may not need to. We shall see.

SonGoku

Well, nobody knows how it will be in the future and whether XSS actually launches or not, but right now developers have only a single dev kit for XSX, which has been confirmed by numerous sources. From discussions with former dev colleagues I understand that:
- XSX dev kit has a switch to XSS mode.
That's what im saying: if it exists its heavily guarded under strict NDAs or maybe they haven't sent Lockart dev kits yet
If it exists there will be a separate devkit
This is a general impression I've got. But a lot of details are completely unknown, we can't be even 100% sure that XSS will target 1080p
Yeah maybe they'll target 1440p for some games, i recognize its way too early to jump to conclusions im just speculating that if XSS heavily outsells XSX devs will spend more time on XSS kits.
Where will more ram come from on XsX? Both are fixed at 16gb unless there is some secret ram cart expansion on Xbox still under wraps.

Indeed if XsX runs higher rez than PS5 even more ram will be blocked for the frame buffer leaving even less ram for asset quality or variety.
If they switch the last remaining 4x1GB chips to 2GB chips it would have 20GB

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
p1jtIs2.jpg

The May games showcase is coming y’all. Get hyped!

I sure HOPE so, though I'm tempering my expectations. Bottom line, I want to see demos and games from BOTH platforms even though I'm almost certainly getting a PS5. I just think they're going to be close enough to where I can at least see where things will be this generation by viewing demos of either platform. Or not. We'll see that too! Bottom line, I'm so hyped it's not even funny! Still just trying to keep my feet on the ground though so I'm not crushingly disappointed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom