• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

From the other thread

Yeah, but should that always be the goal?

And from the link above.....

Compared to this traditional 2D architecture, 3D ICs provide several significant advantages:

1. Footprint
Obviously, stacking multiple dies atop one another produces a chip that takes up less space than if those dies were side by side. If the layers are aggressively thinned, a multi-layer 3D-IC is actually no thicker than a traditional 2D chip. The tiny size of 3D-ICs is extremely valuable in miniaturized devices such as cell phones and IoT applications.

2. Speed
Dies stacked in a 3D chip are much closer together than chips on a circuit board. The shorter distances allow electronic signals to travel more quickly from one component to another. 3D stacked devices have shown as much as 5x speed improvement over comparable 2D solutions.

3. Power

Shorter connections automatically require less power, but 3D ICs have another power-saving trick. When an electronic signal travels from one chip to another, it passes through special circuitry that screens out any accidental electrostatic discharge (ESD). These ESD filters consume energy. Signals that travel from one layer to another within a 3D-IC do not require ESD checks. Tests have seen as much as 90% reduction in power consumption.

4. Heterogeneous Integration
Because the layers in a 3D IC are manufactured separately, they can be built differently. This is more important than it might seem! The process in which a die is built affects the behavior of the components on that die: one process makes better capacitors, another makes faster transistors, etc. Even more interesting, the layers may be built at different process nodes – that is, the electronic components may differ in size. This affects the cost, complexity, and performance of each layer. It is even possible to stack layers that are built of different materials. All of these possibilities mean that a 3D IC can combine the best of each process, node, and substrate without compromising some components to accommodate others. In fact, a multi-die stack can contain combinations that are flatly impossible to achieve on a 2D chip.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well I stopped playing Modern Warfare because spending anymore than a minute in the lobby or in my loadouts pushed my Pros fans to max speed to the point that i started panicking and closed the game.
Even playing Pro Evolution 2020 kicks the fans into damn near max speed when in the menu. I have no idea why almost every game has the fans atleast above 50%.

Took apart the top shell to inspect for dust and found no traces anywhere and my console is in a well ventilated area. Could be thermal paste has given in. Fuck knows.
All I know is I need another console because I hate having to always use my headphones to block the unbearably loud fan noise.

I have my PS4 Pro since release in 2016, no issues with noise. I think it's a thermal paste, read on the web that it's not applied properly or it ages fast. Try taking it to a shop and replacing it with a PC thermal paste, cheap fix.

SonGoku

From the other thread
Those advantages are compared to multi die designs though
Components residing on the same die (GPU, CPU & I/O) would have the edge. 3D stacking here could be useful for memory and maybe storage?
Remember something about the PSVITA having stacked vram on top of SoC

Would be huge if they used stacked GDDR6 chips but is that even possible?

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I have my PS4 Pro since release in 2016, no issues with noise. I think it's a thermal paste, read on the web that it's not applied properly or it ages fast. Try taking it to a shop and replacing it with a PC thermal paste, cheap fix.

I got my pro about two years ago. Majority of games are completely silent except for Ni no kuni 2 which at times makes me think that Concorde did not retire from service.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What’s the opposite of exaggerate? Understate.

Sony is delivering a system like no other, and many cannot see it...yet. Sony’s fault for not bringing the tangible proof. It’s only a matter of time.

Kinda heard that phrase somewhere🤔

slide_1.jpg

I got my pro about two years ago. Majority of games are completely silent except for Ni no kuni 2 which at times makes me think that Concord did not retire from service.

Hmm, maybe you should replace your thermal paste or clean it. I can't be too lucky, could I?🤔

Last edited:

Radical_3d

The launch window includes Holiday 2020.

I just don't see that playing out the way you think it is. New system, new graphics, holidays. $300 new console. I can see it.

Don't agree with it but I can see it.
Ok, so it’s holidays 2020 and you are and average Joe. Do you buy a brand new Xbox for 300 bucks? No! Because you already spend that very few ago and the games are the same.

Ok, so it’s holidays 2020 and you are a gaffer. Do you buy a brand new Xbox for 300 bucks? When there is already a better version for 500? What are we? Savages? Is that a special serigraphied edition? Only $200 more? What a steal!

Trust me, until the end of the fiscal year it’s just us. The nuts one.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Someone on beyond 3d was implying Lockart is not coming until 2021, who knows ?

If I were MS, you will sell all initial consoles in first 3 months anyway, so why put resources into budget console at launch which is only really needed by later adopters looking for deals and games included at the + 6 month stage.

Why announce the console this year then? If that’s true we will only see it next year. But if games are supposed to support it, shouldn’t it come out at the same time?

Sounds to me like a tiered launch.

MS is thinking in the long term. You asked how many on launch.

I don’t think you can compare the concept of Lockhart to a 360 without HDD or a PS3 40gbs.

If you launch a 299€ console and it doesn’t sell well in its first 12 months, it won’t get any better later.

Fake

This 3D stack reduces heat in effecient way? Or for better way of the air circulate inside the components?

Last edited:

SonGoku

This 3D stack reduces heat in efficient way? Or for better way of the air circulate inside the components?
2. Speed
Dies stacked in a 3D chip are much closer together than chips on a circuit board. The shorter distances allow electronic signals to travel more quickly from one component to another. 3D stacked devices have shown as much as 5x speed improvement over comparable 2D solutions.

3. Power
Shorter connections automatically require less power, but 3D ICs have another power-saving trick. When an electronic signal travels from one chip to another, it passes through special circuitry that screens out any accidental electrostatic discharge (ESD). These ESD filters consume energy. Signals that travel from one layer to another within a 3D-IC do not require ESD checks. Tests have seen as much as 90% reduction in power consumption.

I already removed the factory thermal paste once before when my console's fans started kicking into high gear. When i first picked up my console there were no noise issues for months. Then the noise gradually increased.

A couple months ago i bought new high end thermal paste (Arctic something paste from Amazon, cant recall the exact name) and new thermal pads. I opened my console and replaced the thermal pate and pads. Immediately after doing this my console went almost dead quiet even playing games like Division 2 which before the change used to make my Pro really loud.

Fast forward from then till now and the problem is back. Fans in high gear playing Division 2. Even worse when playing Modern Warfare. I deleted that game because i'm not risking my console with the way the fans are operating. So yeah, i'm not going to spend money on getting an updated latest PS4 Pro. I will rather wait for PS5 and retire my Pro completely.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
It appears that the two-tone themed color scheme Sony is going for in the PlayStation 5 era may have been in front of our faces for a long time with these limited UK cases of PlayStation exclusives, released last year?:
hqdefault.jpg

EWUfJAcX0AIZ5z9

EDyBXkVW4AM4TyG.jpg
49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

If the PS5 console design, the PS5 first-party game cases feature the two-tone design like those cases and the dual sense, I will be a very happy man
Thoughts? It's beautiful to me

Your first assumption is that GPU are only there to push pixels, which in itself is a fallacy.

Besides, we're laughing at two contradictory tweets from Warren. He suggests the 2TF difference will be 'noticeable', however if we apply your logic, and GPU are only tasked to output resolution then Series X would render a frame at 2160p, while PS5 would do it at 1974p. Now, try sitting in front of your 4K screen to decipher any difference you see between a game/video file running at 4K, while the other at 1900/1800p. Unless you're super-human, you won't be able to tell a difference at those resolutions without pausing a frame and looking it through a magnifying glass. Hence, unless devs are harnessing the Series X extra GPU capability to push anything but pixels, differences won't be 'noticeable' to a naked eye like Warren was asserting in March.
Not to mention, there is already a solution that can help make a 1974p image look as sharp as native 4K. Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) has been around since last summer. By console launchdate, RIS will likely be improved.

SonGoku

It had honestly never occurred to me that the distance between components could affect latency at such a small scale.
That's why GDDRx chips are placed around the GPU die, having them on top would make for more efficient use of available bandwidth
Yeah I don't see that happening
Im cautiously optimistic not sure GDDR6 can be stacked
O onQ123 SonGoku SonGoku Chicken or the egg question; so does PS5 achieve its high clock rate because of this, or will this enhance the benefits of its clock rate further?
Both, though they could have achieved same clock with a bigger design perhaps?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I already removed the factory thermal paste once before when my console's fans started kicking into high gear. When i first picked up my console there were no noise issues for months. Then the noise gradually increased.

A couple months ago i bought new high end thermal paste (Arctic something paste from Amazon, cant recall the exact name) and new thermal pads. I opened my console and replaced the thermal pate and pads. Immediately after doing this my console went almost dead quiet even playing games like Division 2 which before the change used to make my Pro really loud.

Fast forward from then till now and the problem is back. Fans in high gear playing Division 2. Even worse when playing Modern Warfare. I deleted that game because i'm not risking my console with the way the fans are operating. So yeah, i'm not going to spend money on getting an updated latest PS4 Pro. I will rather wait for PS5 and retire my Pro completely.

Maybe mine was the updated version, because I remember I kept an eye on the news for that matter. Bought it in 16-Nov-2016.

whoever81

It appears that the two-tone themed color scheme Sony is going for in the PlayStation 5 era may have been in front of our faces for a long time with these limited UK cases of PlayStation exclusives, released last year?:
hqdefault.jpg

EWUfJAcX0AIZ5z9

EDyBXkVW4AM4TyG.jpg
49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

If the PS5 console design, the PS5 first-party game cases feature the two-tone design like those cases and the dual sense, I will be a very happy man
Meh...Not a deal breaker of course but I would prefer the option for good ol' one tone design. Namely pitch black with sporadic blue lights. (and/or full white)

Last edited:
Maybe mine was the updated version, because I remember I kept an eye on the news for that matter. Bought it in 16-Nov-2016.
My best mate has the updated version and his console sounds infinitely quieter than mine during operation, playing the same games.

The difference between our PS4 Pro's is the power cable's. I have the big 3 point like the image below:
s-l300.jpg

And my mate with the updated PS4 Pro has the below power cable:
images

Also apparently the new updated PS4 Pro have different system fans. Not sure of any other changes but there is a clear difference in terms of how much quieter the newer Pro's are.

Still though i enjoy playing my games on my Pro but with headphones.

Ascend

This is a meme only funny to those that don't understand hardware or have a strong bias against Microsoft or for Sony. It's littered with implications of ignorance.

Firstly, "favoring" is fanboy talk. Hardware is there to achieve a certain goal. You give priorities where you think is most important. "Favoring" is preference based on emotional attachment.

Left button: You want enough TF to achieve your needs. If Lockhart is for 1080p, 4TF of RDNA is MORE than enough. It will be at least as powerful as the Xbox One X, which currently runs 4K games. If you do very rough math, 4K has 4 times the pixels, so you need 4 times less TF to run the same thing at 1080 P. So 12/4 = 3TF. They're going with 4TF.

Right button: If you want to avoid the slower console (in this case Lockhart) from forever limiting the more powerful one, you have to include an SSD. Running on an HDD is simply not going to cut it. The SSD in the PS5 being faster does not somehow make the SSD in the XSX or XSS irrelevant, any more than the 12TF of the XSX makes the 10TF of the PS5 irrelevant.

Last edited:

RespawnX

2400 MB/s read performance sounds like the hardware base for Xbox Series X SSD. Temperatures also seem fine to stack these chips in smaller form factor like the expansion card. 120 bucks also sounds like we could get XsX expansion cards for around 150.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My best mate has the updated version and his console sounds infinitely quieter than mine during operation, playing the same games.

The difference between our PS4 Pro's is the power cable's. I have the big 3 point like the image below:
s-l300.jpg

images

Also apparently the new updated PS4 Pro have different system fans. Not sure of any other changes but there is a clear difference in terms of how much quieter the newer Pro's are.

Mine is actually even different, the one you plug into the PS4 Pro looks like this one on the right with two holes:

Ac-4-ps4.jpg

And the other end like the one on the right, fused:

item_XL_59778_144424.jpg

We use 220v here, is that the same around you? Interesting.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is a meme only funny to those that don't understand hardware or have a strong bias against Microsoft or for Sony. It's littered with implications of ignorance.

Firstly, "favoring" is fanboy talk. Hardware is there to achieve a certain goal. You give priorities where you think is most important. "Favoring" is preference based on emotional attachment.

Left button: You want enough TF to achieve your needs. If Lockhart is for 1080p, 4TF of RDNA is MORE than enough. It will be at least as powerful as the Xbox One X, which currently runs 4K games. If you do very rough math, 4K has 4 times the pixels, so you need 4 times less TF to run the same thing at 1080 P. So 12/4 = 3TF. They're going with 4TF.

Right button: If you want to avoid the slower console (in this case Lockhart) from forever limiting the more powerful one, you have to include an SSD. Running on an HDD is simply not going to cut it. The SSD in the PS5 being faster does not somehow make the SSD in the XSX or XSS irrelevant, any more than the 12TF of the XSX makes the 10TF of the PS5 irrelevant.

You're too stiff there man, relax. We need to see pricing for all 3 and with some exclusive games and multiplats comparisons then everything will be clear. :lollipop_raising_hand:

Games Dean

Team Green don't think Schreier is a legitimate source for consoles, he soiled his reputation to them when he chose to describe PS5 in few-choice words...
Funny thing about the xbox fans calling Jason biased after the Road to PS5 reveal was that ONE WEEK EARLIER he took Playstation's golden goose (Naughty Dog) to task for their labor practices.

Wondering why people in here are saying things like "its OK Sony will just have to lower the resolution to compete"

Do you people not remember the slight resolution difference in 2013 making some games on XBO blurry in comparison?

FPS games were especially frustrating to play because while you were getting pretty stable frame rates it was harder to see enemies in the distance etc.

You don't want Sony to drop resolution AT ALL to compete. You would probsbly be better off with scaled back RT or particle effects or something but highest resolution possible.

......are you comparing the difference between 720p and 1080p to checkerboarded 4k vs native 4k?

Out of curiosity, I did some algebra to calculate what resolution would PS5 multiplats run on assuming the resolution difference is 1-to-1 to the teraflops difference.

10.3/12.1 x (3840 x 2160) = 7060522.314
7060522.314 = xy
x/y = 9/16

x = 9y/16
7060522.314 = (9y/16) x y
7060522.314 = (9y^2)/16
112968357.0246 = 9y^2
12552039.669 = y^2

y=3542.88
x=1992.87

Meaning if the XSX version of multiplat game X runs at native 4K, the PS5 version will run at about 1992p resolution. How close is that? It's more than close enough for RIS to make a 1992p image look as good as native 4K.

Below, running Metro Exodus at 1800p (70% of native 4K) with RIS almost looks as good as 4K. On Battlefield V, running at 1900p (78% of native 4K) with RIS actually looks sharper than 4K.

SonGoku

If you don't mind me asking why didn't you reapply thermal paste? with the practice you have it should be a walk in the park.

PaintTinJr

My friend had similar issues and it was mainly the HDD that was the issue - although I did modify a vacuum head with tape and a straw to vacuum the tiny vents.
If you can spare the time and hassle. Backup your profile/s saves to cloud, remove the drive from the Pro, place it in a caddy, attach to PC and use the windows disk manager to remove all partitions (I might have needed an elevated command prompt using diskpart for that), then create a fresh NTFS partition, and do the big format (you probably won't have a spare +24hrs to let it complete, so cancel after the first 100GB), then restore the hdd in the Pro, download the full firmware to a usb stick from playstation.com(folder names have follow the Ps instructions), and restore the firmware to the Pro, then profiles/data and games. It should be a bit better after that.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking why didn't you reapply thermal paste? with the practice you have it should be a walk in the park.
No i don't mind you asking at all.

Yes i can re-apply the thermal paste and i'm contemplating doing it this weekend because we have a long weekend coming up. Don't know if it will fix the issue since the console is clean on the inside (no dust at all)

BUT...

As i'm now typing this i have moved my console to a vertical position and i just fired up Red Dead 2. My console is now much MUCH quieter than when i sat it down flat on the tv stand.

I have no idea whats going on. I have this game running for almost 10 minutes now and will continue to run it and see if the fans slowly ramp up or keep to the current interval of going at around 50% fan speed then throttling down almost completely for a few minutes, then ramping up slowly to about 50% again. Seriously this is doing my head in but its noticeably quieter now.

EDIT: Yeah still going to change the thermal paste this weekend.

Last edited:

s-l300.jpg

images

SonGoku

No i don't mind you asking at all.

Yes i can re-apply the thermal paste and i'm contemplating doing it this weekend because we have a long weekend coming up. Don't know if it will fix the issue since the console is clean on the inside (no dust at all)

BUT...

As i'm now typing this i have moved my console to a vertical position and i just fired up Red Dead 2. My console is now much MUCH quieter than when i sat it down flat on the tv stand.

I have no idea whats going on. I have this game running for almost 10 minutes now and will continue to run it and see if the fans slowly ramp up or keep to the current interval of going at around 50% fan speed then throttling down almost completely for a few minutes, then ramping up slowly to about 50% again. Seriously this is doing my head in but its noticeably quieter now.
Try modern warfare which you said was the worse offender, remember not all games have same power consumption

PaintTinJr

He's 100% correct, it's not a secret how damn demanding RT is, that's why Hollywood movies use thousands of CPUs for their CGI effects, that's just how damn demanding FULL ray tracing is. What you are talking about is hybrid rendering, where SOME of the effects are ray traced, like shadows, reflection etc., while the rest of the scene is still rendered via rasterization, and that's what next-gen consoles will offer.
That isn't the distinction of Full RT, because the level of what 'Full RT' looks like on film increases and changes every since the beginning of RT. My profile pic is intentionally from the first ever film to do RT to represent something real, and the entire power of the Cray computer they used back then would have been a fraction of the performance of a PS3. They fully Ray traced and didn't even use BVH at a fine enough level (if at all) and had to inspect every frame for popping polygons (as memory would have been sparse and zbuffering didn't come until latter IIRC).

Full RT just means that you don't use rasterization, and the reason you don't want to, is because RT doesn't bias the result for performance. Despite the virtually identical screenshots from AMD and nvidia cards rendering the same frame(of something), the actual means of mapping world space primitives to the screen space grid isn't identical and each aliases differently and may exclude partially visible things differently - unlike a software reference driver that has a fixed technique which would have repeatable results independent of the hardware.

Games Dean

hqdefault.jpg

EWUfJAcX0AIZ5z9

EDyBXkVW4AM4TyG.jpg

I still got beef with Sony for not bringing those alternate game cases to the United States. Hope we see more box art like that in the future.

Tetragrammaton_Knight

perm reply ban warning for FUD in nextGen
Most expensive game ever created
Perfect Dark
AAAA
#LOL

Halo 6, just a AAA game
$500millions

Fake!

BOM
XSX $500
PS5 $500
XSS $350 to 400 with repurposed xsx soc ...

$900 to combat the PS5 $500 ...

Stop inventing lies. XSS leaked target price is 250 USD. If this console actually gets released, the price could be adjusted given the situation, but not by much.

Raytracing on a 500 $ console? I mean it's hard for graphic cards that cost $1500 alone

If you really expect Ray Tracing to be a big thing on this consoles, you are in for failure.....

But sure full raytracing at 4K resolution seems right on the money on Xbox Series X...

LOL
I think at some point you’re just putting words in my mouth. But yes I expect Ray-tracing to be there. Both Sony and Microsoft are boasting that they have it. Not to mention even lower end cards are capable of it such as the RTX2060. Let’s not forget, the XSX is 12TF and the RTX 2080 is around 14TF so with that in mind, I expect RT to be there for sure. If I recall correctly, the messaging around NeoGAF claims that 2TF don’t make a bit of difference, so we shall see if the XSX can compete with that $1200 GPU you speak of.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

To be fair he was talking about the bill of materials. And as for what's a lie or not that's impossible to tell at this point since it's all just rumors at the moment.

A "repurposed XSX soc" sounds ridiculous given the performance delta. I guess we'll find out the specifics eventually, I would suspect a much smaller piece of silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom