• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan30gr

Don't worry we just went through a tunnel 😁
qA7SUuV.jpg

One ticket for the poor please

They tend to render at least 50% of the new frame - not a small part.

From PS4 ... https://blog.playstation.com/2018/09/06/insomniac-interview-the-tech-behind-marvels-spider-man/amp/
nope

here's an example so you understand better:
spiderman 4k at its highest resolution case during gameplay has a resolution of ~1580p
1580p is ~4.4 million pixels, 2160p (4k) is ~8.2 million pixels, so already almost half (~53%)

Now from those 1580p (or less), half of them are previous frame data (temporal injection)

So, as you see, its 50% (temp. inj) of 53% of native 4k, so very much less than half.
Overall, in spiderman's case with temporal injection only 27% or less of the 4k resolution pixels are rendered per frame

Last edited:

roops67

I mean 4K@60FPS is really hard to pull of depending on the type of game your producing, the levels of fidelity, detail, visual effects and ray-tracing. All this depends on the power and capabilities of the hardware you're working with. As powerful as the next gen consoles are, I would be skeptical of both of them hitting 4K at 60 FPS whilst also retaining a lot of the details which I mentioned.

Now I am curious how the Sony first party studios hit 4K at 60 FPS, what was sacrificed? ray-tracing? maybe they used dynamic resolutions. Maybe they went through a different route and decided to use a checkerboard or DLSSS like rendering technique to hit the 4K at 60 FPS target and this would also make us speculate on the support for these kind of features on the next gen consoles.
Hey Dan
I'm suspecting all they need is knock down the resolution for 60fps, no need to turn off ray-tracing. The fact it will be lower res means it will be projecting less rays accordingly, remember the GPU is at 2.23ghz it will still manage to get the bounces back in 16.6ms (ok I'm guessing) I'm sure it's been single bounce in R&C?... this is where the XSX MAY struggle doing something similar tho going by the specs

No need to reduce other settings like particle effects, there is still fare amount of grunt left in the hardware to do everything in less time... tho some may prefer to reduce it cos it's crazy as it is! But I love it, the more the merrier 🥳 :messenger_beaming:

So performance mode is most likely just that, higher framerate at the cost of resolution and nothing else sacrificed (if coded well!)

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
its coming, i am sure they will find some box without a reflection on it.
Nah he's too busy writing how Haven XsX (gosh this name sounds like a typical gamertag from a kid only playing cod) version finally shows next gen better than anything we've seen so far.And that it puts in light (he loves light) how sony's games are a disapointement because they lack ray tracing(even the titles that have them).
And how if they had they should better show it because if an expert like him can find them how come a simple man with basic eyes and no analysing tools can (even though most did found the raytracing).
Then someone will call him out on his bullshit so he'll block him on twitter and ban him on era because "harassment", then justice will be served.
We will all live in a better world with the lightbringer and vessel of truth beyond facts Alex Battlebias.

sircaw

Banned
Nah he's too busy writing how Haven XsX (gosh this name sounds like a typical gamertag from a kid only playing cod) version finally shows next gen better than anything we've seen so far.And that it puts in light (he loves light) how sony's games are a disapointement because they lack ray tracing(even the titles that have them).
And how if they had they should better show it because if an expert like him can find them how come a simple man with basic eyes and no analysing tools can (even though most did found the raytracing).
Then someone will call him out on his bullshit so he'll block him on twitter and ban him on era because "harassment", then justice will be served.
We will all live in a better world with the lightbringer and vessel of truth beyond facts Alex Battlebias.

I am gonna so laugh if your right hah

splattered

These might get PS5 ready tag sometime later.
DDPFnd8.png

Ypw4Oou.png

I hate that SSD expansion for both PS5 and XSX are going to be insanely expensive and limited next gen.... this gen i've enjoyed using 8TB external drives (x2) for my games collection.

Has to happen if we want to push SSD forward though i guess...

Gonna be funny, yet sad if it's just another commercial without date or price that got uploaded into their playlist.

I still think September 9th is the date Sony plans to move on. I'm curious how late either one can go without showing the official date and price.

Assuming the rumors, by the time the consoles have it confirmed, it'll be almost 2 months until launch, possibly less if they continue the chicken game.

splattered

Maybe they're both waiting this late to announce price because they both want to try and one up each other with a "$399 available... NOW!" moment?

Redlight

You know it's all in your imagination don't you? If the bias is so persistent and obvious then post some clear objective evidence of it. It should be easy enough to find if DF is as biased as you claim. In fact you're so certain of it that I'm sure you'll be able to reel off several stunning examples straight off the top of your head.

Mahavastu

Great video 😋 Really underlines that 8k right now is a marketing gimmick. Christ knows how large screens will have to be for the difference to be visible to the naked eye.
I do not know...
My screen is around 150" (beamer), but despite it being "only" full HD it looks perfectly fine if you are 2-3m (6-9feet?) away. Believe me, you do not really want to be closer. I usually sit 5m away.
I think 4k could bring more details, but I doubt 8K would be much of a difference to 4k...

Sw0pDiller

How much longer must we wait man. We know the consoles won't be cheap, we have accepted that. JUST FUCKING GIVE US A DATE AND PRICE!
Imagine having to wait this out while only owning an Xbox one and principally refuse buying a ps4. Nothing to play to get this of your mind... Now I understand the likes of timdog and Eastwood. I feel sorry for them.

Wait, I can’t use an external HDD on the PS5? Can someone explain to me why? I’m not the best at computer part specs.
You can, for storing games. But you can't run games off the HDD directly. You had to transfer it into the internal SSD to run the game. The PS5 hardware is designed for SSD speeds only.

Basically, HDD is too slow to run PS5 games.

Maybe they're both waiting this late to announce price because they both want to try and one up each other with a "$399 available... NOW!" moment?

To me, a one-up isn't in the cards anymore for several reasons. Series S isn't going to shake it up enough, because digital isn't quite fully mainstream enough. I still think even the Series S will be $299-$349 or so.

When I look deeper at the technology powering these systems, I don't see any way they go below $499. I also don't see, economically, they can go above that price without serious consequences. That price seems set.

Maybe $399-$449 for the digital PS5 in the best case situation.

If Sony has been blowing money left and right for exclusives, that hurts chances of them taking a big loss and going $399 for the PS5. They've said it's a premium console, HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has said it's a new generation.

You're going to pay a price for it on both sides. The difference will be what is available at launch and Microsoft doesn't have much, but it'll still sell out.

Sony could launch with the ol' Ridge Racer and Tekken and it'd sell out.

kyliethicc

Wait, I can’t use an external HDD on the PS5? Can someone explain to me why? I’m not the best at computer part specs.

You can, for storing games. But you can't run games off the HDD directly. You had to transfer it into the internal SSD to run the game. The PS5 hardware is designed for SSD speeds only.

Basically, HDD is too slow to run PS5 games.

You can use to store and play PS4 BC titles and ONLY store PS5 titles.

We still don't even know if we can put PS5 games on external HDDs. Sony never said anything about that. They only said we can use HDDs for PS4 games.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Good day sir. Question, based on all the information you have heard where would you rate your hype for the PS5 out of 10? Not only for launch but the first year.

My personal hype for this console launch is at an all time low.

I may get more excited once the PR machine really ramps up but as of right now I have not seen a single thing that screams I must have this.

Knowing I am buying a 3090 and plan on playing all multiplats on PC this year and might only buy the PS5 for the few exclusives I will play really has me down on the new consoles.

My hype level right now 3/10 but start showing me stuff and I am sure that will rise.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You know it's all in your imagination don't you? If the bias is so persistent and obvious then post some clear objective evidence of it. It should be easy enough to find if DF is as biased as you claim. In fact you're so certain of it that I'm sure you'll be able to reel off several stunning examples straight off the top of your head.
You want examples ? Really? Here we go:
- that halo video titled are halo graphism really flat where he states that it is because of shadows that the game look like this and how to fix it easily.ecause that's exatly what the titlesaid it would be excuses and justifications.
-him not being able to spot raytracing in spiderman when it was already confirmed
-Him interrupting John on their next gen analysis about 60fps when except halo nothing has been confirmed at 60 with xbox exclusives and John correcting him multiple times
-him saying that ps5 has no hardware raytracing when it was already confirmed
-Him being part of a discord which gave birth to fake insider like tommy fischer said group being like a rallying point for Xbox extremists fanboys
-him saying that the SSD won't halp games beside load times
-the countless times he's been proven wrong even by kingthrash whom I don't like (especially that Gears 5 analysis)
-Zomming 300% on ps5 video to pinpoint lower resolution raytracing but not doing the same for the opposition.
-Banning people on ERA when they show prooves of his errors

EDIT: he's also on twitter that the last Ratchet and clank presentation saying that there wasn't a lot to say and that it has and I quote "loading times.Not understanding that games are basically always loading something because that's how games works.Do you call that a professionnal analysis or the simple opinion of a warrior.Even worse I've had more technically accurate chat with Xbox fans than he is capable of in his Twitter.

Do you really need more ?
See I think John leans a bit more toward Xbox, yet it doesn't prevent him from getting way more objective in his analysis.That's why I have no problem with either John and Richard simply because they don't act a warrior and do their job as professionally as possible.

Last edited:
My personal hype for this console launch is at an all time low.

I may get more excited once the PR machine really ramps up but as of right now I have not seen a single thing that screams I must have this.

Knowing I am buying a 3090 and plan on playing all multiplats on PC this year and might only buy the PS5 for the few exclusives I will play really has me down on the new consoles.

My hype level right now 3/10 but start showing me stuff and I am sure that will rise.

Would you think both systems would've benefitted by being delayed out of this year?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would you think both systems would've benefitted by being delayed out of this year?

I think they would do better out of the gate if they waited until next year yes.

Do I want them to be delayed or even think they will be? No but it also wouldn't shock me if they were.

Right now I am more looking forward to day zero patches for Ghost of Tsushima and a couple of others and will replay those on the 5.

We are getting close though....

I think they would do better out of the gate if they waited until next year yes.

Do I want them to be delayed or even think they will be? No but it also wouldn't shock me if they were.

Right now I am more looking forward to day zero patches for Ghost of Tsushima and a couple of others and will replay those on the 5.

We are getting close though....

Excluding the noise from insiders I definitely believe Sony is going to do something soon since they started their marketing for the PS5. These ads that they keep posting and their head of marketing telling us the system is still in track are signs that we will get PS5 related news soon.

On the other hand with Microsoft we only have insiders talking about them but nothing official from Microsoft yet. They haven't ramped up their marketing like Sony has nor have they told us that the system is still on track. Maybe it doesn't mean anything in the end but they have been quiet lately.

FranXico

Digital Foundry doesn't want to do a video about the new Rachet&Clank build.
I hope that the same people who started this thread:
...and proceeded to accuse NXGamer NXGamer of fanboyism for not analysing FS2020 yet do the same to DF then.
But I'm not holding my breath for that.

NEbeast

You made it sound like it they were going to suddenly improve a field that has been studied since 1980s. That makes no sense and implies that somehow they are better than all the scientists that have looked at that problem before.

For me the key point of that text is that they are working to improve the performance on their hardware, that's why I quoted that part.
I really don't understand your argument here. Technology is always advancing, it's very naive to say something cannot be furthered because it has been researched for decades. Actually, its plain stupid

thelastword

Banned
Imagine having to wait this out while only owning an Xbox one and principally refuse buying a ps4. Nothing to play to get this of your mind... Now I understand the likes of timdog and Eastwood. I feel sorry for them.
It's no wonder, it's the same people talking about "Hurry Sony, reveal something, tell us something, show us something already, give us the price"......I'm not sure they have a PS4 because they would have plenty great games to play even now, to occupy their minds. I suspect this is mainly coming from persons who did not have much to play these last 7 years and are trying "the world is ending, what is the price already schtick, Sony is not being transparent here"...

The console will launch in November, Sony has boosted production of the console in an attempt to meet demand. It will sell out whether Sony releases the price today or in October or even November.......Sony can set pre-orders on November the 1st and there will be plenty of time to get a pre-order in....

sircaw

Banned
Seems fishy, weren't you watching twilight a couple of days ago?And talking about standards now ?
More seriously yeah always keep your pm as secret even when they appear innocent because you can't know how the other person feel about sharing what you discussed.

I have watched four of them now, thank god for the fast forward button.

I can honestly say, i am happy to of watched them as a reference point but holy moly, they fucking sucked balls.

onesvenus

I really don't understand your argument here. Technology is always advancing, it's very naive to say something cannot be furthered because it has been researched for decades. Actually, its plain stupid
Can you point me where I said it cannot be advanced?

I'm saying, and I thought I was clear about it, that people that expect that raytracing state of art, something that has been studied and researched for the last 40 years, will suddenly improve quickly now that Sony engineers are working on it are not being realistic. Thinking that is plain stupid.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I have watched four of them now, thank god for the fast forward button.

I can honestly say, i am happy to of watched them as a reference point but holy moly, they fucking sucked balls.
Here's a fish of commitment, of sheer fucking will.
But a lot of stupidity too (having watched 4 twilight movie) or .... Maybe you are a masochist?You like pain (and that's telling when a french tell you that (for those that know a few words in french)) that's the only explanation.

Visualift

Microsoft is the one who needs to be aggressive this generation. The longer Sony waits the more pressure on Microsoft to risk low-stock in stores due to purchasing. Just because Sony came in with the $399 surprise last time doesn't mean that's their intent this time around. The demand for Sony Product is already higher so they'll have an easier job filling shelves.
Still think Microsoft announces first.

Fans don't need to know when it launches or for how much... they'll still get it.

Great Hair

Banned
It's mostly the editing. There was applause, but only after some hesitation.

Timestamped:

That shit is fake, as fake as XSX footage. They told IGN to replace the "booing" with applause or outright did themselves? Even Gamespot replaced it. Check the comment section here.

this is live. he got booed of the stage, like the two dudes during EVO show.

edit: thanks to some live blogs, sponsered once by Microsoft "lol"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom