• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

GHG

Gold Member
I said any frame rate dip or tear is unacceptable in a sim. Any. I still think that. No one should accept any dips or tearing in a sim. It's the first most crucial point.

I'm tired of this. Back to work, and then Forza after work.

You don't speak for everyone.

If the overall experience is good enough then people can look past things like frame drops here and there. We've seen that countless times across the history of video games. This thread is about graphics, not which game you prefer from a gameplay perspective nor whether a games physics engine is running at 360fps (which is PR shit talk BTW) or not.

cakely

On the original Xbox when 60fps wasn't even a thing because of TV's. Really?

It's the prettiest 60fps racer for sure. Considering it actually stays there.

This thread is ridiculous. I'm done for today.

Hahaha. That wonderful statement followed by a "good day, sir!".

Oh they've made it better half a year after launch so it doesn't do it as much any more. While still being a awful handling sim anyway with a lackluster online implementation and career with poor environments.

I think you've got the jist that I don't like PCars. As a sim, it's poor compared to Forza. The only fully locked 60fps racing title on any console, while still being the prettiest.

As a sim? Forza isn't in the same ball park as PC when it comes to being one. I also prefer Forza over PC but it isn't a better sim.

timlot

Banned
Like, none of the above is true. I even provided you with video evidence to the contrary lol. And you accused me of moving goalposts....sheesh...

Digital Foundry's last frame rate test of Project Cars on PS4 was patch 1.04 3 months ago and although there was improvement that frame rate was still all over the place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn9UDcVpndk

I haven't seen any up to date test of the latest patch 3.0 and the just released patch 4.0 on consoles, but here's a frame rate comparision video of the PC version running on 4.2GHz i7, 16GB ram, and 2 GTX 970s. Frame rate still swings wildly even down to the low 40s in the rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH3H5vwZWkA

If you check the PS4 section on the Project Cars forums the latest patch 4.0 released this week seem to have a few issues too.

heyf00L

Didn't see this on the last page. Thank you. I genuinely didn't know this.

SD TVs for NTSC were 60 fps interlaced and for PAL were 50 fps interlaced. And most 2d games ran at 60/50 fps. It wasn't until 3d gaming that games made fps sacrifices.

Digital Foundry's last frame rate test of Project Cars on PS4 was patch 1.04 3 months ago and although there was improvement that frame rate was still all over the place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn9UDcVpndk

I haven't seen any up to date test of the latest patch 3.0 and the just released patch 4.0 on consoles, but here's a frame rate comparision video of the PC version running on 4.2GHz i7, 16GB ram, and 2 GTX 970s. Frame rate still swings wildly even down to the low 40s in the rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH3H5vwZWkA

If you check the PS4 section on the Project Cars forums the latest patch 4.0 released this week seem to have a few issues too.

Regarding that 2x970 benchmark. There is a distinct lack of transparency regarding the CPU scaling in SLI in it. Everything we know about PCars on PC points to it being heavily CPU limited when on Ultra in wet conditions (it is doing multiple render ports all over the place) and SLI incurrs a larger CPU overhead than an equally fast single card.

What about when reflections are not on their highest settings? Or when it is using a larger non-SLI'd GPU.

You don't speak for everyone.

If the overall experience is good enough then people can look past things like frame drops here and there. We've seen that countless times across the history of video games. This thread is about graphics, not which game you prefer from a gameplay perspective nor whether a games physics engine is running at 360fps (which is PR shit talk BTW) or not.

Sorry for staying off topic but what is the benefit of running the physics engine at 360 (supposedly) times a second instead of say, 240/120/60 times a second? Has T10 explained why it is like that? This is just me being armchair developer, why run the engine at 360Hz if it doesn't add any benefit compared to lower "speeds"? It surely can't be free in terms of performance.

dr guildo

Yes DC is more (not might be) accurate with the details. Look at the edges.

False, depending on the angle and lighting, carbon fiber can look very obvious and not so obvious and can be woven in different fibre direction and size.

Exactly, and I'll add this to your assertion :

Pagani employ seamstresses to accurately match up the symmetrical carbon weave on the cars bodywork, and even add the ‘Pagani’ name to their small screw heads. These nuances are accurately reproduced in-game.

and that :

Anisotropic lighting is used to simulate the effect of each individual thread in carbon fibre weave. The pattern of the carbon alters realistically with the lighting angle and surface curvature.

Source : http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

Synth

Sorry for staying off topic but what is the benefit of running the physics engine at 360 (supposedly) times a second instead of say, 240/120/60 times a second? Has T10 explained why it is like that? This is just me being armchair developer, why run the engine at 360Hz if it doesn't add any benefit compared to lower "speeds"? It surely can't be free in terms of performance.

Stuff that should affect the car would occur in between the 60 frames that are drawn to you screen. Calculating the physics more frequently allows these moments to be accounted for, and then you just see the result once every six updates.

Septimus

Pagani in DC looks way higher poly than PCars too. Just look at the windshield where it meets the bottom and the seam on the door. Better lighting shaders too.

Fredrik

On the original Xbox when 60fps wasn't even a thing because of TV's. Really?
Huh? Launch game Rallisport Challenge was 60fps dead locked on the original Xbox, gameplay and replays. DOA3 was obviously 60fps too. Ninja Gaiden too of course. Rallisport 2 was 60fps in gameplay and 30fps in replays. Outrun 2 was 60fps. Etc. 60fps was such a thing during that generation that I eventually started boycotting 30fps games and still had no trouble finding games to play. I'd say that Xbox, GC, DC, PS2 all had more 60fps games than Xbox360 and PS3. Basically all arcade racers were 60fps too, 30fps suddenly became "okay" when PGR3 came around but Bizarre decided to censor the phrase "60fps" to "Badgers" on their official board because they got annoyed at all the requests and complaints about their choice to go with 30fps.
So yeah don't try to fool people to think that 60fps was not a thing back then.

Edit: sorry, apparently already talked about

Synth

Huh? Launch game Rallisport Challenge was 60fps dead locked on the original Xbox, gameplay and replays. DOA3 was obviously 60fps too. Ninja Gaiden too of course. Rallisport 2 was 60fps in gameplay and 30fps in replays. Outrun 2 was 60fps. Etc. 60fps was such a thing during that generation that I eventually started boycotting 30fps games and still had no trouble finding games to play. I'd say that Xbox, GC, DC, PS2 all had more 60fps games than Xbox360 and PS3. Basically all arcade racers were 60fps too, it suddenly became "okay" when PGR3 came around but Bizarre decided to censor the phrase "60fps" to "Badgers" on their official board because they got annoyed at all the requests and complaints about their choice to go with 30fps.
So yeah don't try to fool people to think that 60fps was not a thing back then.

PGR2 was 30fps too on OG Xbox.

Was still a far better game than PGR1 though, and is generally my go to example for 30fps not automatically making a game inferior (though for racers, that's usually the case).

BigLee74

BigLee74 should probably indicate when they are photographing an AI car and haven't refocused.

BigLee74 would like to confirm that the silver car was an AI car & he was driving the burgandy one, and yes, he probably didn't hit X to focus on it (which he now believes will load the best possible model of the car being pointed to, correct?).

This is because he is a noob :)

Edit: The silver car photo (BigLee74 is no car nut) does not suffer from black crush - he was dicking around with exposures and vignettes and stuff to get something that he thought looked quite cool.

Three

It's mostly PR bull. The same thing goes for PCars 600 times a second calculations. Some aspect may run at that frequency but it usually means very little especially graphically.

It's mostly PR bull. The same thing goes for PCars 600 times a second calculations. Some aspect may run at that frequency but it usually means very little especially graphically.

I've heard of controllers being polled at a higher frequency than the display too, could explain why some 30fps games feel 'heavy' to control and others don't due to input lag.

leeh

This is the best thread on GAF
I was wrong. I apologised and learnt something. Only one guy actually gave me an explanation, then a full page of LOLzoLOl.

A reply of many from me, initiated from someone reading between the lines. Doesn't take anything from any of the points I was saying.

Seen a Forza 5 video posted, I've put many, many hours into that game and never once noticed any frame drops.

leeh

No its not. A perfect example is that when your on Sebring, the controller vibrates faster due to the cracks in the road than it's actually refreshing onscreen.

No its not. A perfect example is that when your on Sebring, the controller vibrates faster due to the cracks in the road than it's actually refreshing onscreen.

How could you possibly know that? You can sense that the controller vibrations are going quicker than 60hz?!

_machine

It's not really, though it doesn't necessarily translate into "feel" either. in pCARS and Forza, the physics refersh rate means the rate at which the tire and suspension physics update. For example if the car is travelling at high speed over a bump in the road and the physics refresh rate is not fast enough, that bump simply won't be calculated. Sawtooth kerbs for example are something that can't be calculated properly unless you have a really high refresh rate, and the effect has to be canned ("faked" into the physics when the car is within a kerb collision are for example). But as I said, it doesn't necessarily translate into a better feel as you also have less time for calculation during each tick, though the ticks themselves don't have to differ in feel compared to slower refresh rate.

Input polling is another thing, but that was never the argument and most of these games poll the controller at a high refresh rate.

GHG

Gold Member

What in the world are you even talking about?

I was wrong. I apologised and learnt something. Only one guy actually gave me an explanation, then a full page of LOLzoLOl.

A reply of many from me, initiated from someone reading between the lines. Doesn't take anything from any of the points I was saying.

Seen a Forza 5 video posted, I've put many, many hours into that game and never once noticed any frame drops.
As it's been said many times before, just because you don't notice something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That isn't how controllers work. It will be set up to output the information in unison with the visual, if you are feeling vibration before a visual then it might be worth checking if your tv isn't causing any delay or could even be that the timing of the code is slightly off if you don't feel it anywhere else. The aim is to get what you feel and what you see as close as possible and faster calculations should make this more in unison not out of sync.

cakely

You can't possibly know the exact frequency that your controller vibrates above 30hz. Please stop.

HTupolev

If you googled it, then every piece of information you find says PAL is 25fps while NTSC is 30fps. I'm not making this up.
To give a more complete explanation...

NTSC is 480i at 59.97Hz. The "i" stands for interlaced. What this means is that video is actually sent in 240-line "fields", where each field draws into the even lines of the TV or the odd lines of the TV.

In the days when consoles produced 240-line visuals, it was common for them to fudge the NTSC signals, to trick the TV into displaying all of the fields as even or all of the fields as odd. This gave a true 240p image at 59.97 frames per second. Since the separation between scanned lines of video is twice as large as normal, this has the interesting quirk of leaving a sort of darker area between lines, the classic "scanlines" effect.

On the sixth-gen consoles, a different approach was more common for 60fps games: alternate between creating frames as even-lined fields and odd-lined fields, and output the video without doing anything weird to the NTSC signals. This allows the games to take advantage of the 480-line vertical resolution of the TV, while still basically having a 60fps smoothness and responsiveness.

A car travelling at 300kmh moves 83 metres every second, that's 1.4 metres every sixtieth of a second.

For that reason - before we get into suspension movement and anything else - it makes perfect sense for physics engines to be running at faster than the refresh rate.

Too much can happen, or be missed, in the time it takes for drawing one frame. At 300kmh 60fps is pretty slow.

EGOMON

GT7 will clean house come next year
GT5 photomode
nnky7pk2ufwh.jpg

Jamesways

I think you've got the jist that I don't like PCars. As a sim, it's poor compared to Forza.
And yet I find Forza to be poor at simulating motorsports... Guess it just depends on what you're looking for in a racing game.

Anyway, back on topic, ps4 pics of this rubbish, shit game with terrible physics and environments that leeh doesn't like and no one else should either. :p
20257230895_a4dc1f3a4e_o.jpg

20129898590_34564f03b7_o.jpg

21303882400_65c6ceed5f_o.jpg

20354604159_25445779b4_o.jpg

20712918375_63ee3c09aa_o.jpg

21305019339_b10cb11fa6_o.jpg

20532441452_e82727d6b7_o.jpg

20263106051_e6a4950a2b_o.jpg

I dunno, man - this is by and large a tech thread and you've demonstrated you don't even have a solid knowledge of the basics. Does seem to call into question all the stuff you've contributed, to say nothing of this recent controller vibration wizard perception you're capable of.

*continues to enjoy the thread as a bystander*

Anyway, back on topic, ps4 pics of this rubbish, shit game with terrible physics and environments that leeh doesn't like and no one else should either. :p

Lovely. pCARS is flawed, but I'm really enjoying it.

I agree with that, especially with the real pic nib posted. pCARS matches it closer, with the carbon not always being extremely obvious, only when in direct light. The one in DC looks more like a stripey car, definitely looks off compared to the real one.

i agree too as a whole, close up shots of cars is the one thing pcars does well. certain parts of the car look better in driveclub tho, such as the rims. the material shader used on the rims in pcars doesnt look right

etta

my hard graphic balls
Precision and accuracy? Especially needed for a car game, since the pretty much all of the variables change as when the vehicle changes position. It just acts like a refresh rate, more frames = better picture, but in this case the physics are more precise.

Precision and accuracy? Especially needed for a car game, since the pretty much all of the variables change as when the vehicle changes position. It just acts like a refresh rate, more frames = better picture, but in this case the physics are more precise.

Yes as I posted earlier a car moving at 300kph moves over a metre every 1/60th of a second. So a 60fps refresh rate for the physics is just not fast enough to catch everything that can happen to a car and its suspension in that time.

Fredrik

Wow I need to pick up Project Cars on PC. Some claims that it falls short compared to the rest in some areas but I'm definitely not seeing that in the comparisons shown recently. It looks insanely good! Keep the pics coming! :)

Since we're posting a lot of pCARS now, I was inspired to do some myself.

Running at 3840x2160 with 2x downsampling applied to *that* (which is technically 7.6K res being rendered unless the 2xDS doesn't work that way), then downsampled the screenshot to 1080p. Pretty much perfect IQ, the main letdown for me was the jaggies in the normal game. Unfortunately it's not playable like this, it runs at around 25FPS for me.

XePsXQ.png

EDIT: I also love the fact that I can see every single little chainlink on that fence.

viHuGi

Banned
You're both right in your responses, but there are actually many more layers to how we achieve the sensation of speed. The majority are camera based effects that we spent a long time developing/tuning to help with the sensation of speed as it was really important to me that DRIVECLUB felt fast, much like it does in a real car!

i love your game, please make a sequel or new MS <3

Top Bottom