• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I think thats a glitch somehow, can you provide another example?

Is it similar to this?
vUmEpfj.gif

please tell us the title you think has more accurate looking weather so we can all have a good chuckle

Come on man. He just said it isn't accurate to real life according to anecdotal evidence. Don't force him to choose a side.

Slightly OT, but since we are already talking about physics... Which game do you guys think has the best force feedback/wheel support? I have access to Project Cars and Assetto Corsa with a G27. AC completely blows Pc out of the water in that regard. The car talks to you through the wheel and it feels absolutely amazing. Pc used to be really bad without tweaking, but the new default setting is at least ok.

I also heard good things from a friend who bought a wheel for Dc, but I will boycott the shitty PS4 wheel situation. Also I don't know about 30fps with a wheel.

dr guildo

Is it similar to this?
vUmEpfj.gif

Come on man. He just said it isn't accurate to real life according to anecdotal evidence. Don't force him to choose a side.

Damn, that gif, you have to see it ingame to believe it.
If I was told during gen7 that next gen racing game could look like to that gif, probably I wouldn't have believed it.

Tripolygon

Banned
Damn, that gif, you have to see it ingame to believe it.
If I was told during gen7 that next gen racing game could look like to that gif, probably I wouldn't have believed it.
I remember when DC was revealed and the game director then was talking about how they were obsessive about the little details, looking back now he wasn't kidding.

ps3ud0

Is there anymore footage of NFS? Ive only seen the E3 stuff and didn't think enough of it to be impressed as others regards NFS - have EA released much?

ps3ud0 8)

If not for the license plate I'd have thought it was Driveclub. NFS I assume (and know since I quoted you now). Sepia filter is kind of wack and hides details.

It's definitely not a sepia filter. Plenty of places become very brown at night due to heavy light pollution. With NFS being set in a large city, it looks like Ghost/DICE are simply emulating a heavily light-polluted area, which they've absolutely nailed.

o9DMlp1.jpg

nib95

Banned
If not for the license plate I'd have thought it was Driveclub. NFS I assume (and know since I quoted you now). Sepia filter is kind of wack and hides details.

The size and use of depth of field also helps. Case in point, Driveclub photo mode.

DRIVECLUBtrade_2015small1.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_2015small2.jpg~original

Not to take anything away from the NFS shot mind. Looks insanely impressive, as do the graphics from the game(play) itself.

What was the framerate on PC? Or better question, did they cap tge framerate at 30 again?

Had no idea on framerate, nor anyone available to ask, sorry. I think they probably had beefy PC's though, as there were two sections... One lot running off PC in the EA booth, the other in the PS section running on PS4 (and the units were plainly visible)

Here's a nice car EA brought along though.
sAR7Jx.jpeg

nib95

Banned
This bloke really needs to work on his delivery - most of the meaning gets lost with his odd pauses and inappropriate inflection. Makes his videos pretty much unwatchable for me.

I really don't agree. His delivery seems pretty clear and fairly personable, about as much as can be when the content is techno babble.

Arondight

I haven't tried F6 but out of all the other racing games, from my experiences DC has all the other ones pretty beat comfortably including PC on PC outside of IQ where DC is slightly lacking. I actually don't like racing in the weather as much as others do and find the daylight settings just as beautiful.

Don't have my PS4 connected so can't get any shots on it but have PC.

It looks alright but I find the lighting to look a little flatter/less realistic in a way, environmental details are much more lacking where DC feels insanely more dense with details, something I notice a lot especially racing DC and PC back to back. AA looks a little better in the game than in the screenshot.

And my god, for a thread about racing graphics, people are posting the most BS photos and gifs. Compressed as hell youtube videos on top of compressed as hell gifs. Graphics aren't going to look good if people put it that way and the games sure don't look like that going to the F6 threads.

Mascot

I really don't agree. His delivery seems pretty clear and fairly personable, about as much as can be when the content is techno babble.

You have to be joking - the very first sentence is delivered flatly and without inflexion, as if he's reading a stream of random words for the very first time with no understanding of the meaning behind them and no punctuation to help him.

jaypah

Had no idea on framerate, nor anyone available to ask, sorry. I think they probably had beefy PC's though, as there were two sections... One lot running off PC in the EA booth, the other in the PS section running on PS4 (and the units were plainly visible)

Here's a nice car EA brought along though.
sAR7Jx.jpeg

I see. Thanks for the response!

bj00rn_

Banned
This bloke really needs to work on his delivery - most of the meaning gets lost with his odd pauses and inappropriate inflection. Makes his videos pretty much unwatchable for me.

Yeah, the weirdly placed pauses and accent tones that doesn't quite match the sentence structure is distracting. It kind of sounds like he's reading straight from a text as well. His badly hidden agenda doesn't exactly help either, but no doubt that's a calculated strategy to gain popularity from a certain group of people.

Saw NFS today... Looked good on PC, console... not so much. It's not bad by any means, just not jaw dropping like I had hoped.

Is it true that the game is at night only?

VanWinkle

Yeah, the weirdly placed pauses and accent tones that doesn't quite match the sentence structure is distracting. It kind of sounds like he's reading straight from a text as well. His badly hidden agenda doesn't exactly help either, but no doubt that's a calculated strategy to gain popularity from a certain group of people.

Oh geez lol

bj00rn_

Banned
Thank you! I was starting to think I was imagining things.

English isn't even my first language, which makes me suspicious about some of the people in here who claim they don't notice the weirdness. But this is off topic..

Anyway, I really like how Driveclub looks. I do admire the dev's attention to detail. I wish it was both a simulator and had native 90fps so that I could properly race it in VR.

Oh, and that reminds me: You PS4 guys should be happy that Assetto Corsa is coming to your platform, it does at times deliver a fantastic driving experience (with a proper wheel of course..), and especially in VR where it almost brought tears to my eyes - even with a DK2. Wait, isn't it coming to Xbox One as well?

Is it true that the game is at night only?

From what I saw, it seemed to be at night only, or I gathered the game takes place in a dusk to dawn setting only, but again, I couldn't find anyone with authority on the matter to ask i.e. a dev. Maybe someone who's there in tomorrow at EGX on Sunday might have more success?

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
English isn't even my first language, which makes me suspicious about some of the people in here who claim they don't notice the weirdness. But this is off topic..

It sounds weird because that how some people sound when they're reading.

Wait this is the new NFS?

holy fuck, saw it on mobile and thought it was irl

Makes me even more unhappy about the delay :(((

It's mixed in with other screenshots that are (more obviously) from NFS, so either it's from the game or it's the one real photo on the site.

T.O.P

Banned
It's mixed in with other screenshots that are (more obviously) from NFS, so either it's from the game or it's the one real photo on the site.

Ye was just watching those new images

s2wsidm_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

IF the game actually ends up looking like this on pc...60fps might not even be doable on my rig lol

I love this effect in FM6:
9vpgmXV.gif

The drop movement is obviously exaggerated but looks amazing. There should be more weight in the drops resulting in a lot less movement. But what I like (DC does this too) is how the water from the previous right wipe travels across leaving streaks to the left side of the screen and is then caught by the left wiper (this is looking at the top half of the middle part of the screen). But it looks better here in FM6 due to the fogging of the window, something DC lacks.

Here's more on the point of weight: FM6 left, DC right:
ZIuf9qL.gif
FgHMvse.gif

Both cars are idle, water from the wipers in FM6 are treated with no weight/surface tension, it travels off to the side at a constant rate. In DC the drops are effected by gravity/surface tension and slide downward.

I think the variation in drop sizes is a lot more realistic in FM6, but they look like flat textures. DC is the opposite, large drops mostly but have depth:

At times the weather effects in FM6 can look a bit odd/disjointed, but when it all comes together correctly the weather effects can look fantastic:
qhozFwV.gif

Amazing analysis dude

I need to play more FM6 in cockpit mode, i only ever saw the fogging effect once and it blew me away

Also, just grabbed today the DC pass, wanted to get back into the game a bit and the price drop came at the perfect time

Got Driveclub along with the season pass deal for PS+ users with my new Ps4. Looks really good, probably the best console racer graphics out right now. The weather effects are just insanely good!

Have an Xbox One with Forza 6 as well. While obviously not quite as good as Driveclub (though noticeably smoother, thanks to 60fps I imagine), it is nowhere close to some of the comparisons in this thread. If I was to rate on a scale of 1-10 on graphics, and Driveclub was a 10 (which it really is), then Forza 6 would be somewhere around an 8. All the franchise needs now is a better lighting engine and dynamic weather/time of day.

EDIT: I'm very happy that the Driveclub gifs of rainy weather is entirely the truth when it comes to actually playing the game. Such a sublime experience racing around through a rain storm.

Top Bottom