• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Floating 2D trees.

Its called shadow off set bias and imposter LODS, things which only manifest about a kilometer away from camera origin. Unlike other games though, the trees actually turn into 3D geometry as they LOD in instead of staying sprites.
starcitizen_2015_09_1ijz1b.png

Pre-GT6 those SC ship models probably would've impressed me.
Clearly a reasonable opinion.

I think I like the micro detail in the game the most. It is pretty to cool to see all the screws, rivets, etc on top of the panelling. Their ship pipeline uses POM and I believe PADM for in surface micro detail.

super high levels of geometry and very high res in general, but boy is the art bad

whatever it's called, but to be honest, it still looks ugly

IwS879D.png

Tress that are 1KM away tend to look like that in every game. It is in fact a bad performance and art decision to have them be 3d at that distance because subpixel geometry adds extra inordinate shading costs as well as intense aliasing (flickering). But I will agree, like anything, things could look better.
super high levels of geometry and very high res in general, but boy is the art bad
I would respectfully disagree. Especially concerning the ship art.
Dat adaptive tesselation tho
Well almost all tessellation is adaptive unless it is pre tessellated or if the designers have no idea what they are doing. BUt yeah, tessellation in GT6 is rather cool. Does it work in gameplay?

Assetto Corsa 1.3 will have graphics updates too:

Graphics
2D/3D models, textures and shaders have been updated and improved, in order to keep the standards reached with the latest content. Now windscreens receive shadows, and a new camera facing feature improves the rendering of 2D/3D objects on track. A first basic support for dynamic objects on tracks has been added as well, and it will be improved in future updates, with the aim to get a more immersive environment.

Physics
64-bit natively supported and car physics calculated on multi-thread. The physics engine has been reworked to become completely multithreaded: as a result, the driving precision is augmented, the accuracy further improved and the physics solver has enough horsepower to completely resolve any difficult calculations any speed, achieving butter smooth Force Feedback and complete elimination of signal noise and vibrations. We'll be back with more details on physics updates when the new build will be released next week.

nib95

Banned
Assetto Corsa 1.3 will have graphics updates too:

Graphics
2D/3D models, textures and shaders have been updated and improved, in order to keep the standards reached with the latest content. Now windscreens receive shadows, and a new camera facing feature improves the rendering of 2D/3D objects on track. A first basic support for dynamic objects on tracks has been added as well, and it will be improved in future updates, with the aim to get a more immersive environment.

Physics
64-bit natively supported and car physics calculated on multi-thread. The physics engine has been reworked to become completely multithreaded: as a result, the driving precision is augmented, the accuracy further improved and the physics solver has enough horsepower to completely resolve any difficult calculations any speed, achieving butter smooth Force Feedback and complete elimination of signal noise and vibrations. We'll be back with more details on physics updates when the new build will be released next week.

I already feel like AC has better physics than GT, Forza and PCars, so this is great news.

benzy

Well almost all tessellation is adaptive unless it is pre tessellated or if the designers have no idea what they are doing. BUt yeah, tessellation in GT6 is rather cool. Does it work in gameplay?

Hard to tell in actual races since it happens so quick and the camera is very limited and far away from the car, but it's definitely noticeable by pausing replays.

cmxymnwlpv.png

vhpdqexidw.png

Managed to catch it happen slowly once by quickly switching between the interior camera views.

amswwemavl.gif

Jamesways

Those Dirt Rally shots look great. I sure hope that does make it's way to console.
WRC 5 is out digitally in NA next Friday, I'll post a bunch of pics of that in here too.

Star Citizen looks crazy.

I am loving everything about this genre right now.
Ditto.
Put some racing aside a while to tear through Bloodborne, and going back to DC and pCARS last night, still wowed by the look of both.

Racing games look so good now.

Those Dirt Rally shots look great. I sure hope that does make it's way to console.
WRC 5 is out digitally in NA next Friday, I'll post a bunch of pics of that in here too.
Nothing i've seen from the previews has me brimming confidence.

What is the better alternative for the PS4, DC or pCARS?

Jamesways

I am loving everything about this genre right now.

Nothing i've seen from the previews has me brimming confidence.

What is the better alternative for the PS4, DC or pCARS?

I thought it might be really bad, but Alan from VVV is pretty positive about it. He posted several videos and impressions on it-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102448&highlight=wrc+5

I'm guessing it won't be worse than Milestone's efforts, and the last few of those I found to be really fun. Not really much of a rally option on console right now so WRC5 and SL Rally it'll have to be for a while.

And DC or pCARS? Depends on what you're looking for. DC is more arcade racing on fictional country settings and the pCARS is a racing sim on real world tracks.

I prefer pCARS myself, but DC is fun to pop in every now and again.

Not much other than that for the PS4, if you like bikes, there's Ride
21491944155_ec6ce3c2bc_o.jpg

And MotoGP 14 and 15
19918635794_beb84a2fb2_o.jpg

drotahorror

Pretty much _Everything_ what he said. And I only have a GTX 770 2Gb from a summer 2013. But like I said.. NeoGAFFERS seem to have opinions of their own. And it is not always correct. They are like lost sheep of gaming. They need guidance
Driveclub is the best looking car racing game though. It's pretty much a fact. And Codemasters were churning out great looking games when the DiRT series was coming out. DiRT Rally looks good but it's not a graphical powerhouse.

You sound like a PC fanboy and a gaf hater.

Shaneus

From what I've heard, WRC5 is arse. And apparently Milestone are thinking of applying for the license to make the next one. Maybe we should see how Loeb Rally Evo turns out before judging whether that's a good thing or not.

Mobius 1

From what I've heard, WRC5 is arse. And apparently Milestone are thinking of applying for the license to make the next one. Maybe we should see how Loeb Rally Evo turns out before judging whether that's a good thing or not.

:( I was hoping Milestone had learned a thing or two.

Sebmugi

thank you it's interesting to see all facets of the game,not only the good sides .. ^^
but I have not seen what I want ..

small comparison between the different 3D models ingame (12 cars) I don't see the difference..

I wonder if Evolution might add Adaptive Tessellation in the upcoming update?
DC looks so good, but closeups like the ones posted show some necessarily low poly objects. Adaptive Tessellation seems like the kind of thing that could be added for photomode, that wouldn't impact performance in actual gameplay.

Sebmugi

Yep it's a good idea when we see what happens on GT6 ;)

turn 10 announced 600,000 or even 800,000 polygons for ingame cars ..
but I have the impression that this is only for the player's car and again ..

Yep it's a good idea when we see what happens on GT6 ;)

turn 10 announced 600,000 or even 800,000 polygons for ingame cars ..
but I have the impression that this is only for the player's car and again ..
That's the case for all of these games, there's no way they can push that many polygons and remain playable. I know for a fact that it happened in GT5, they claimed that cars were around 250,000 polygons, but even the player's car didn't look that good in plenty of cases.

I imagine GT6 is doing the same, but it's harder to notice since it seems to use its tessellation instead of LODs, which seemingly has smoother transitions.

Sebmugi

yes I know but in forza 6 the difference is just "wtf" especially on the inside or on the open engines..
and I see no screens on the subject

The shots of the on track racing look like gt6 with nicer car shaders and a colour filter that might just be a effect added when editing the trailer.

Need to see more. That trailer wasn't that great in showing the game. Great we finally have it out in the open though

Of course it's way too early to really say anything, but at least we got something:

This @locked 60 pls? Can it be done?

To be honest that just looks like GT6 being run on a good rendering rig to get rid of bad shadows, IQ, etc. I don't see a great deal of difference outside of the IQ and the trees on the left of the hairpin gif.

But regardless, I can guarantee 99% that it won't run at a solid 60fps even if it looks nowhere near as good as that. For everything PD does well, stability really isn't one of those things anymore.

ShamePain

Banned
To be honest that just looks like GT6 being run on a good rendering rig to get rid of bad shadows, IQ, etc. I don't see a great deal of difference outside of the IQ and the trees on the left of the hairpin gif.

But regardless, I can guarantee 99% that it won't run at a solid 60fps even if it looks nowhere near as good as that. For everything PD does well, stability really isn't one of those things anymore.

Or the shitty PS3 hardware couldn't handle it... just a thought.

benzy

It's a massive improvement over 6, even photomode GT6. Environment lighting and atmosphere is much more convincing.

4f5kts.png

qG8b.jpg

It's a massive improvement over 6, even photomode GT6. Environment lighting and atmosphere is much more convincing.

[ig]http://abload.de/img/4f5kts.png[/img]

[ig]http://i.picpar.com/qG8b.jpg[/img]

Yep, as always new game reveals show that people have remember past games/consoles visuals in a much more positive way than reality.

Xenus

From those shots, at the very least, we can see trees and grass looks waaaay better than GT6 (as it should).

The grass to the right in the GTSport image is honestly the only real thing that sticks out on a quick glance to tell you it's a game

c0de

The grass to the right in the GTSport image is honestly the only real thing that sticks out on a quick glance to tell you it's a game

I think that you can also spot single polygons still. Well, we will see how it will look in-game, I am eager to see the lighting.

Sakujou

Banned
i already see it happening, PP will shit in our faces again. the god damn slow menu weird navigation will be all over again in gt7.

oh and i wonder why they start to call this game .... different.

W
H
Y
?

i hate this trend of calling a continueing series different.
if they start doing this, companies are hoping for new people to join, but for me as a fan, that is the first move when the game starts to take a hit in terms of quality.

Top Bottom