• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

N30RYU

Gold Member
Project cars models look better, Forza 6 runs smoother... but the overall impresion is that DC is showcasing with it's light and rain effects.

I don't know if that DC effects levels can be achieved at 60fps... but I hope some day they can be achieved.... (poliphony?)

Also on the other hand maybe fps and racing games should all come up with an option like the first Bioshock to turn off some effects or AA to achieve 60 fps.

Since DC and Forza6 are exclusives there's no real "war" in here 'cause each side has his amazing driving game.

viHuGi

Banned
Project cars models look better, Forza 6 runs smoother... but the overall impresion is that DC is showcasing with it's light and rain effects.

I don't know if that DC effects levels can be achieved at 60fps... but I hope some day they can be achieved.... (poliphony?)

Also on the other hand maybe fps and racing games should all come up with an option like the first Bioshock to turn off some effects or AA to achieve 60 fps.

Since DC and Forza6 are exclusives there's no real "war" in here 'cause each side has his amazing driving game.

If someone can do it, its PD... Those guys are wizards, GTs on Ps3 look insane for the hardware they were running on...

I know GT7 will look amazing visually and control amazingly, but I really, really hope they get sounds right. Admittedly, I was someone who never had a problem with the vehicle sounds in GT, but after seeing hearing the light in Driveclub, PC, and other racing games, I can't go back to something so inaccurate again, especially since I now turn off all music during races/driving. The roar of the cars and the environmental sounds are the only music I need these days.

t_wilson01

Engine sounds for cars added to GT6 after release (such as the VGT and Senna cars) are much improved from all others that were included in the game. They no longer sound like a cheap vacuum cleaner.

Sebmugi

Hello everyone I have been a Driveclub player and a big fan of the photo mode in racing games since GT5, I have watched this forum for a while now and I share the general opinion about DC which is absolutely fabulous visually and technically speaking, even though it is not perfect..^^

Niks

At times the weather effects in FM6 can look a bit odd/disjointed, but when it all comes together correctly the weather effects can look fantastic:
qhozFwV.gif

That looks great.
I'll be happy if GT7 can pull of something similar.

texore

I don't know if this video has been posted in here before but Driveclub really is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YychQn49DHc

Do the other racing games have this?
GT has had that since PS1. Well obviously it didn't look as good as that, but paint gets dirty/dull over time.

Edit:
Actually the more thought I put into it, GT might not be comparable because it probably did not occur during the race and the level of "dirt" on your car might have been dependent on the number of times you have driven the car.

I don't know if this video has been posted in here before but Driveclub really is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YychQn49DHc

Do the other racing games have this?

Even the original GT games the cars lost their shine and you took them to the car wash. Also I believe Forza has been doing it, although not fully dynamically, it's a tiled texture which can become annoyingly apparent. I've not noticed any tiling in the dirt within Driveclub but I could be wrong.

What game exactly? Just curious.

Many games did this, especially rally games like Colin McRae (not sure about the first two tho, it's been a while). I'm also not sure in which GTA they implemented this 3 or later.
GT1 (or two?) had this to a degree but it was more that the carpaint became less glossy.

HTupolev

What game?
What game exactly? Just curious.
It's historically occasionally featured in games with substantial amounts of road surfaces that are snowy or unpaved.

Not sure about the entire oXbox library, but the RalliSport Challenge games both have your car collect dirt on the body and tires as you drive on surfaces that aren't clean pavement.

Since DriveClub has dirty roadsides and a lot of focus on what happens with them, it makes some sense for it to have car dirtying.

Why are you saying it like this?
Because I'm a smug asshole who would rather make people feel uninformed than provide valuable insight to a discussion.

Alternately, I wanted to make a weird silly quip for the sake of weird silly quips.

And/or I'm crazy and I've had a few too many fireball and cokes.

Take your pick.

(Really, they're probably all true.)

nib95

Banned
IBecause I'm a smug asshole who would rather make people feel uninformed than provide valuable insight to a discussion.

Alternately, I wanted to make a weird silly quip for the sake of weird silly quips.

And/or I'm crazy and I've had a few too many fireball and cokes.

Take your pick.

(Really, they're probably all true.)

This is a surprisingly candid post :p

The lighting looks really weird and cartoony.

He's added some of the in-game photomode dramatic filters.

granturismo6_61tob0p.png

driveclub_2015092916014ban.jpg

GT Sport standard cars really are going to look better than any other game's cars from an external viewpoint with dat PS4 shine applied. There's no doubt in my mind.

Sebmugi

In Driveclub, the 12 cars seem to have the same 3d model contrary to Forza 6 of which the other models seem to be clearly downgraded.
just out of curiosity, for those who have forza 6, what do you think of the modelling of the other 23 racing cars on the track? How many do you think there are polygons? If you could make some pictures of the inside of the cars, it would be great! ^^

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
In Driveclub, the 12 cars seem to have the same 3d model contrary to Forza 6 of which the other models seem to be clearly downgraded.
just out of curiosity, for those who have forza 6, what do you think of the modelling of the other 23 racing cars on the track? How many do you think there are polygons? If you could make some pictures of the inside of the cars, it would be great! ^^

Rarely take any notice of it to be honest.

When you do look though, it is clear they have much lower poly counts.

The sacrifices made to have a perfectly locked 60fps with 24 cars in wet weather and night racing.

Noobcraft

DC doesn't use identical models in time trials (1 car on track) and races with 12 cars. DC just hides the LOD changes better. As seen here:
https://youtu.be/pOG1lzbzjCg

ShamePain

Banned
Having half the number of opponents and half the framerate probably helps to push more polygons on screen. Having twice the fill rate to work with is no joke.

Sequiel

Banned
How do you guys feel about the graphics in Dirt Rally?

Great game in realism and locations. It can look pretty good sometimes, specially using reshade:

Dirt%20Rally.png

DiRT_Rally_03.png

04.28.2015-05.10.png

DiRT_Rally_02.png

But it is no Driveclub. I miss the old Dirt 2 years, when Codemasters was truly innovative and at the top of their game, at least on the visual part. I remember reading somewhere that most of that team went off to do the first Forza Horizon, a really great game in my opinion that even had a pretty decent Rally DLC.

Sebmugi

DC doesn't use identical models in time trials (1 car on track) and races with 12 cars. DC just hides the LOD changes better. As seen here:
https://youtu.be/pOG1lzbzjCg

I'm pretty sure dumb wanted to say 'in race', and I believe he's right.
The LOD change you're showing here is for photo mode.

Yep I'm talking about others' interiors when we just pause and when the free camera is connected to one's own car. I'll make some pictures of it.

starcitizen_2015_10_0psu9f.png

starcitizen_2015_10_0u3ulc.png

starcitizen_2015_10_0ypuf5.png

starcitizen_2015_10_021ufa.png

What is this? It looks amazing. Some kind of flight racer?

Edit: Never mind. I looked at the URL. Star Citizen looks amazing.

I think I like the micro detail in the game the most. It is pretty to cool to see all the screws, rivets, etc on top of the panelling. Their ship pipeline uses POM and I believe PADM for in surface micro detail.

Top Bottom