• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Conduit

Banned
Forza Motorsport 6 uses physically based materials and sub-surface scattering on Xbox One.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...tting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

Forza 6 probably does material lighting better then another other racer.

I mixed PBR and PBM.

Does it physically hurt you to admit that Forza 6 does things better then others?

Did you noticed that i wrote PBR? No, i'm not. I'm just curious which materials. For example, i didn't found that metal materials in F6 are better than in GTS.

FordGTGuy

Banned
getphoto.ashx1mzqu.jpg

4lbxj0.jpg

I love the material rendering.

Forza Motorsport 6 uses physically based materials and sub-surface scattering on Xbox One.

This looks like pretty bad PBR (materials are useless if they are not rendered well):

Or even here:

The image is super flat on the first picture, nothing looks metallic whatsoever, everything looks like the same material with a different diffuse. The metals on the second are also pretty meh, looking like shiny plastic mostly.

T.O.P

Banned

driver116

Again, i'm not talking about the ridiculous car movements alone but mostly about the fact that the car doesn't affect the track or anything else at all

You seriously believe they will be missing in the final release? Even though basic tire markings, dust, debris et al. are all present in 5/6? You sound silly.

T.O.P

Banned
You seriously believe they will be missing in the final release? Even though basic tire markings, dust, debris are all present in 5/6? You sound silly.

You are judging the game from what you got on video, the same it works for me

Weather it will be in the final build or not (i only played 5 i don't even know how many years ago so i can't remember) it's another thing, until then i can only discuss what they release

FordGTGuy

Banned
This looks like pretty bad PBR (materials are useless if they are not rendered well):

Or even here:

The image is super flat on the first picture, nothing looks metallic whatsoever, everything looks like the same material with a different diffuse. The metals on the second are also pretty meh, looking like shiny plastic mostly.

If that's what you think plastic looks like then you need to get your eyes checked.

Doesn't look realistic.

Uh... yeah... yeah it does... The top is wood material and the bottom is gold in a dark room with spotlights.

Again, i'm not talking about the ridiculous car movements alone but mostly about the fact that the car doesn't affect the track or anything else at all

The ring looked good in the latest build but this is just awful

Could be due to it being an online race bug (something thats in every game) or unfinished build (this was already said).

We have had players specifically say that such a thing never happened when they were playing on the pods.

You're grasping.

Weather it will be in the final build or not (i only played 5 i don't even know how many years ago so i can't remember) it's another thing, until then i can only discuss what they release

Sure, but context is important.

If that's what you think plastic looks like then you need to get your eyes checked.

Uh... yeah... yeah it does... The top is wood material and the bottom is gold in a dark room with spotlights.

the wood looks fairly accurate by modern standards but the gold is pretty off.

M52B28

Banned
Note to people who are positing strange comments.
Woods, and wood surfaces can be dyed, glazed, and have different colour hues and tones. Cherry, oak, maple, etc... all are of different darkness and texture.
Even waxing wood will give it shine like the Forza photo.

dumb
(Today, 05:34 PM)

They are definitely not irrelevant. Especially if you categorically deny them without any sort of explanation.

thelastword

Banned
I made some comparisons between FM6, GTS and GT6. they're not 100% accurate, but better than nothing.
I think GTS is the most realistic one.

qgd3oG.jpg

ExkE15.jpg

iIHF2l.jpg

9YFxbJ.jpg

59YK75.jpg
There's no doubt that GTS is the most detailed and best looking 60fps racer right now, even in it's unfinished state, so I think that bodes extremely well for the final product.

In any case, these compressed video captures won't show just how impressive it is in motion. I think we would need an HD video comparing all recent racers like the youtuber did when he compared DC to F6 to PC (project cars) etc..

driver116

Cherry-picking is fun I guess.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/walkingdead/images/7/75/500px-S1e1_Mabel_grossed_out_by_gnome_picture.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140824143325[IMG]

Dear lord.

Also, what the hell is going on with the physics at 2:15?!?
[URL="https://youtu.be/vP13KgHjSIU?t=135"]https://youtu.be/vP13KgHjSIU?t=135[/URL][/QUOTE]

Understeering? It's breaking while turning, usually understeer happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP13KgHjSIU

i cant believe this is actually a ps4 game from a high budget sony studio

Well the game is far from complete, I have no idea why they decided it was a good idea to show it like that. There's no skid marks, no smoke, there's obvious LOD and shadows issues going on, tearing, etc. Also, it was confirmed that the event had multiple builds running (every 8 hours they were updated), there's a scene in the official trailer where you can easily see a ridiculous 2D trees wall alongside the road, but during actual gameplay it was replaced with much better 3D models for example.

I think you guys really need to consider this one "BIG ASS FEATURE" GT Sport is also built from the ground up with VR in mind. With that said I think it looks amazing considering well beyond my expectations. Considering the PS4 power constraints.

I think you guys really need to consider this one "BIG ASS FEATURE" GT Sport is also built from the ground up with VR in mind. With that said I think it looks amazing considering well beyond my expectations. Considering the PS4 power constraints.

I already pre-ordered PSVR and I am a huge GT fan, but I won't accept a "well, it's supposed to be a VR game" if the final (!!!) product is as messed up as the reveal trailer.

That said, after seeing the new footage I am not as worried about GTS as I was after that messed up reveail trailer from Friday.

We've already see newer builds (later that day even) that look better than that reveal trailer lol

I don't know what PD were smoking when they put that out.

isnt this the same as just being a 60 fps title? i thought the reprojection to 120fps wasnt adding any load to the ps4 gpu/cpu? as a 60 fps title theres no excuse for the game to look this poor

Probably gonna be a controversial thing to say here, but after being in a car in a downpour IRL recently and playing Forza Apex on PC, I have to admit the windshield rain looks more realistic in that than Driveclub.

As fantastic as DC's rain physics are, I was never really keen on the way raindrops pooled together like jelly when they collided, I had never noticed any effects like that in real life and it just generally looked a bit wrong. While Forza's droplets have the disadvantage of not leaving streaks on the window, they way they take each other out and clear the window, and even leave condensation on the window is the most realistic I've ever seen.

Driveclub still takes the cake overall with its more natural lighting thanks to GI and dynamic time of day, but the rain in Forza is just godly. I'd say Apex definitely beats it but Motorsport 6 itself doesn't quite, because on the console version it's more sparse and only 30fps, although the effects are still there.

Just so it doesn't sound like a crazed rant, have a .gif I made of a crash that shows exactly what I'm talking about with the rain. It's still very noticeable despite the res that Imgur dropped it to, mainly keep your eyes on the bottom left of the windshield (where the wipers can't quite reach) as I reverse:

plN6JtO.gif

Conduit

Banned
Probably gonna be a controversial thing to say here, but after being in a car in a downpour IRL recently and playing Forza Apex on PC, I have to admit the windshield rain looks more realistic in that than Driveclub.

I was never really keen on the way raindrops pooled together like jelly when they collided, I had never noticed any effects like that in real life and it just generally looked a bit wrong.

It's not wrong. Try to drive a car during heavy rain and don't wipe the rain from windshileld for a moment. Then turn on the wipers. You will see a "jelly" effect on your windshield.

As fantastic as DC's rain physics are, I was never really keen on the way raindrops pooled together like jelly when they collided, I had never noticed any effects like that in real life and it just generally looked a bit wrong. While Forza's droplets have the disadvantage of not leaving streaks on the window, they way they take each other out and clear the window, and even leave condensation on the window is the most realistic I've ever seen.

Driveclub still takes the cake overall with its more natural lighting thanks to GI and dynamic time of day, but the rain in Forza is just godly. I'd say Apex definitely beats it but Motorsport 6 itself doesn't quite, because on the console version it's more sparse and only 30fps, although the effects are still there.

Just so it doesn't sound like a crazed rant, have a .gif I made of a crash that shows exactly what I'm talking about with the rain. It's still very noticeable despite the res that Imgur dropped it to, mainly keep your eyes on the bottom left of the windshield (where the wipers can't quite reach) as I reverse:

plN6JtO.gif

cant agree at all having driven quite a lot in various levels of rain

Odorono

Banned
I feel like Apex still does it better. Driveclub looks like someone is drive through a spillage of clear mercury. It does look pretty though.

Dat Apex though: (Non-Photomode)

Looks really nice except the wheels which lack detail and the side mirror reflection..Is it reflecting the curbs on the other side of the car? Weird.

M52B28

Banned
Looks really nice except the wheels which lack detail and the side mirror reflection..Is it reflecting the curbs on the other side of the car? Weird.
Forza has always had fucked up mirrors.

And the rain in both games look rather unrealistic if looked from heavy weather conditions.

In heavy rainstorms, water doesn't bead up, it splats and spreads, especially at high speeds.

Viewing the mirrors from external cameras isn't accurate, they're only cubemaps which means they're a bit inaccurate to begin with, but they also can't reflect the car, meaning you see what's behind it.

Top Bottom