• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

le-seb

Those are a great touch, especially being customisable, but I meant the actual lighting on the cars. It's way more natural this time around, probably the best I've seen in a game yet.
Better than FH2, no doubt, but you need to watch other games more closely.
DC still does manage the lighting way better.

GTS

9CkyD30.gif

QdUFRBm.gif

Better than FH2, no doubt, but you need to watch other games more closely.
DC still does manage the lighting way better.

I'm aware of how Driveclub looks. It looks great during rain or sunrise/sunset but middle of the day is pretty unflattering, whereas FH3 looks great at every time we've seen.

le-seb

I'm aware of how Driveclub looks. It looks great during rain or sunrise/sunset but middle of the day is pretty unflattering, whereas FH3 looks great at every time we've seen.
But the actual lighting on the car is better on DC, whatever the conditions.
And GT has always excelled at this too.

Watching your FH3 video I can spot plenty inconsistencies in the way the cars are lit.
Doesn't look as badly-photoshopped-out-of-nowhere as FH2, but still looks off.

Jamesways

Another summer, another Milestone MotoGP game!
Now Milestone hasn't been typically known for their graphics, but they're definitely getting there...
As usual the rider and bike models are great.

27114720754_44692659eb_o.jpg

27727037645_def1948b3f_o.jpg

27727037905_d85bec8c8d_o.jpg>

27114721374_25beee6048_o.jpg

27114721454_641f12d8d2_o.jpg

27727038315_0e3c1f01cc_o.jpg

27116513383_c1213d8e3e_o.jpg

27114721224_070afeb600_o.jpg

27727037765_7f01e1d9bd_o.jpg

27114721894_0b55ae0552_o.jpg

27727037555_47ff7301c0_o.jpg

And two DC bike on boards pics just 'cause.
27116513483_ab8845afac_o.jpg

27116513533_d0dcf3e3da_o.jpg

shandy706

fh206pljop.png

giphy.gif

Edit* I think you're helping his argument Conduit. The lighting and LOD in that second gif is rough. The trees in the background are a bit hilarious. Also, based on the shadows in those gifs...umm, none of them are "middle of the day".

Saw that in the others threads Shandy, Jesus, that GIF...
Wow.

The new game is going to knock some socks off! I can't wait for the pics and gifs that'll show up in here.

Haha, thanks. What's crazy is that is exactly what the game looks like in motion...no tricks or changes there.

Jamesways

Saw that in the others threads Shandy, Jesus, that GIF...
Wow.

The new game is going to knock some socks off! I can't wait for the pics and gifs that'll show up in here.

Nope! Big NO!

Some old gifs :

2532697-5757596279-qqlcy.gif

ilX7INB54QSsI.gif

2674808-0168812831-sdgva.gif

Unfalttering in the middle of the day! How could you. LOL!

It isn't. Period!

Defensive much?

Neither of those are the middle of the day lol. The first gif the sun is almost behind the mountain and is very low, the second gif has very long shadows.

And yeah "how could I" have an opinion right?

I swear the regular posters in this thread must have dementia. Same damn discussions about the same games over and over again, the arguments haven't even changed.

Jamesways

I swear the regular posters in this thread must have dementia. Same damn discussions about the same games over and over again, the arguments haven't even changed.

"No, GT is better."
"No, DC is better."
"No, FH is better."

Jamesways- "look at MotoGP!"

Everyone- "Get the **** out of here with that!"

Conduit

Banned
Defensive much?

Neither of those are the middle of the day lol. The first gif the sun is almost behind the mountain and is very low, the second gif has very long shadows.

And yeah "how could I" have an opinion right?

Wait? What? You nevew saw a sun behind the mountain in the middle of the day when you drive close to the mountain? WTF is that stupid argument. OMG!

You called me that i am defensive, but you argument is damn wrong that Driveclub is unflattering in the middle of the day. How nice. Hey, you didn't mentioned 3rd gif. According to shadows it's middle of the day or 1 or 2 hours later. It looks unflattering? Right?

Wait? What? You nevew saw a sun behind the mountain in the middle of the day when you drive close to the mountain? WTF is that stupid argument. OMG!

You called me that i am defensive, but you argument is damn wrong that Driveclub is unflattering in the middle of the day. How nice. Hey, you didn't mentioned 3rd gif. According to shadows it's middle of the day or 1 or 2 hours later. It looks unflattering? Right?

So you basically responded back with another post saying his opinion is wrong. Ok

Also yeah..you should really calm down. Driveclub looks great but there is no need to rush to try to prove someone's opinion wrong with such fervor.

"No, GT is better."
"No, DC is better."
"No, FH is better."

Jamesways- "look at MotoGP!"

Everyone- "Get the **** out of here with that!"

I know you're joking but MotoGP does actually look really good, some very natural lighting and DOF blur going on in the pictures you posted.

So when the sun is almost on the horizon that's still the middle of the day to you? What I also didn't mention is that your gifs handily eliminate a large flaw of the game during the day, the jagged edges. Bright light accentuates the fact that the AA just isn't very good which is a major part of the unflattering look.

I never noticed the third gif but it definitely isn't the middle of the day either. The entire last 3-5 seconds the car is entirely driving in the shadow of something.

But it's obvious you aren't going to listen to any of these arguments so I'm not sure what the point is.

By the way, posts like this are why I'm calling you so defensive. You can tell me Horizon 3 looks like total shit, I'll disagree completely, but I won't act like you're an idiot for being against it. Maybe I should...

Conduit

Banned
You can tell me Horizon 3 looks like total shit, I'll disagree completely, but I won't act like you're an idiot for being against it. Maybe I should...

I won't said that cuz FH3 doesn't look like shit. But said that DC3 is unflattering in the middle of the day ( with AA or not ) it's bullshit.

I won't said that cuz FH3 doesn't look like shit. But said that DC3 is unflattering in the middle of the day ( with AA or not ) it's bullshit.

I've played the game to 100% tour completion with all of the DLC. I know how it looks on a screen in front of me versus some tiny gifs, I know what I've seen and I know what my own opinion is. It looks fantastic during the rain, overcast, and everything between sunset and sunrise, but I don't like how it looks during the day.

Their AA solution is shit to me. Maybe the nigh-perfection that is 4xMSAA has spoiled me but that's just the way it is.

Conduit

Banned
I've played the game to 100% tour completion with all of the DLC. I know how it looks on a screen in front of me versus some tiny gifs, I know what I've seen and I know what my own opinion is. It looks fantastic during the rain, overcast, and everything between sunset and sunrise, but I don't like how it looks during the day.

Doesn't mean if YOU don't like it during the middle of the day it is unflattering. I played it to 100% completion too.

So when the sun is almost on the horizon that's still the middle of the day to you?

It must be precise 12 hours just to be a middle of the day, right? And no more than 5 seconds before and after? So what if i posted gifs where is 9 or 10 am.

Jamesways

I know you're joking but MotoGP does actually look really good, some very natural lighting and DOF blur going on in the pictures you posted.

Yeah, they've really stepped up the graphics this year. Overcast lighting looks really good this time. They've almost been a gen behind on the looks department on each of their games. Unfortunately, the rally car and drift car modes do not look nearly as good.

Regarding DC, I don't play it often, but I really do like fiddling with filters during gameplay. There's a ton of them and the ability to change effects by percentage is fantastic. That's another feature that I think more games could adapt. You can really alter the look of the whole thing. Think of being able to alter filters on say a Codemasters game...

Edit-
It looks fantastic during the rain, overcast, and everything between sunset and sunrise, but I don't like how it looks during the day.

Doesn't mean if YOU don't like it during the middle of the day it is unflattering. I played it to 100% completion too.
I think it depends on the track too. I LOVE the look of the Chile race tracks by the beach mid-day. That's a go-to track for me when I pop the game in. See bike pics above. And this one-
16368821173_ba2c4aa01b_o.jpg

l
You do realise I've already said it's an opinion right? Am I not allowed to have a negative opinion of a game?

Of course there's no objective measure of "flattery", it's entirely down to what the person thinks. If someone says "I don't like it it wasn't good" do you take it as an objective statement that the game wasn't good? I hope not.

Seriously just chill, it's only a game. It doesn't need defending.

nOoblet16

You guys do realise that the sun position throughout the day depends on the geographical location as well as the season..don't you?

A location that's in the upper part of northern hemisphere like Scandinavia, UK etc (and similarly the lower part of southern hemisphere) will have the sun around the horizons even if it's the "middle of the day", especially in winters.

You guys do realise that the sun position throughout the day depends on the geographical location as well as the season..don't you?

A location that's in the upper part of northern hemisphere like Scandinavia, UK etc (and similarly the lower part of southern hemisphere) will have the sun around the horizons even if it's the "middle of the day", especially in winters.

Yes, but "middle of the day" in Driveclub still typically generates short shadows that people are used to seeing when the sun is high. Like many people have said it's hardest to get a boring sunny day with flat lighting to look well, that's what I'm discussing.

I think it depends on the track too. I LOVE the look of the Chile race tracks by the beach mid-day. That's a go-to track for me when I pop the game in. See bike pics above. And this one-
16368821173_ba2c4aa01b_o.jpg

Chile and India are the main offenders IMO. I think it's something about their hot climates or the terrain that makes things brighter and makes the less good parts pop out more, or it could be the barren-ness itself. My equivalent of Chile to you (the one I always go back to) is Canada. Cayoosh Point is one of the few tracks that manages to look good at any time, I think mainly because of the lush environments and heavy tree cover.

Jamesways

The thing about Driveclub is you'll never get skies like this-
pCARS
22149938681_93b72380fb_o.jpg

25421260296_370d6ce069_o.jpg

Not sure exactly why.

Seeing the reveal of FH3, the most striking thing for me was the clouds at sunset with in the BMW clip. Absolutely stunning. I've read about how they're creating the dynamic skyboxes with all the Aussie sky scanning tech etc, it's just unbelievable how good it looks.

I'm a huge sucker for great looking skies/skyboxes in racing games.

nOoblet16

Yes, but "middle of the day" in Driveclub still typically generates short shadows that people are used to seeing when the sun is high. Like many people have said it's hardest to get a boring sunny day with flat lighting to look well, that's what I'm discussing.

Again different locations will have different kind of sun position, India will obviously have shorter shadows than Norway for the same time, and I don't think the game keeps the same sun orientation for both these locations for same time of day.
I mean these guys made sure you saw the correct constellations depending on the geographical locations, surely they would make sure the sun positions accurately match the locations too..if that matches then so should the shadows since they are both tied to each other.

Edit: It's the the climate and lighting, if you compare a real life picture taken in South India and a real life picture taken in northern Europe (or even far north India), you'll see differences. One gets you cooler colour composition the other gets you warmer ones.

Of course it is allowed and opinions can be wrong too.
You still don't get it. Opinions on subjective matters absolutely can't be wrong because they're subjective. A burger might be reviewed as the best tasting food ever created by 99% of the population but there will still be people who don't like it.

I'm not sure what the point of this conversation is anymore, at first it was a disagreement about DC, I wasn't expecting to have to explain what an opinion is.

@Jamesways: that's what excited me about Horizon as well. The clouds and cloud shadowing look amazing compared to last time around. It just worries me that if the skyboxes are captured we might see repeats ingame, but I'm sure it's probably totally dynamic and it'll blend captures to ensure that doesn't happen.

Conduit

Banned
pCARS

DC's skybox :

driveclub_2015060419299jky.jpg

Seeing the reveal of FH3, the most striking thing for me was the clouds at sunset with in the BMW clip. Absolutely stunning. I've read about how they're creating the dynamic skyboxes with all the Aussie sky scanning tech etc, it's just unbelievable how good it looks.

I'm a huge sucker for great looking skies/skyboxes in racing games.[

FH3 skybox is limited. Clouds aren't volumetric in FH 3 and also in PCARS clouds aren't volumetric.

pCARS
22149938681_93b72380fb_o.jpg

25421260296_370d6ce069_o.jpg

Not sure exactly why.

I'm a huge sucker for great looking skies/skyboxes in racing games.
Its because Driveclub uses volumetric clouds while other games use traditional skyboxes. Volumetric clouds are expensive, and might not look as pretty as often, but it helps make the lighting look more natural.

Shall we just rename this thread to "anything you can do Driveclub can do better" or "Conduit's soapbox" or something?

Being fair, graphically that's probably true.... The thing is pushing so many things, it's a shame that Sony have pretty much left it to die. Driveclub with a 60FPS Neo update would have been amazing.

Wait for the influx of GT people later this year

Gonna be fun

/s
I'll probably just chuckle at the lack of gameplay shots. GT has always had a huge gulf between gameplay and replay/photo mode quality and it looks to be the same this time. I won't mind seeing the footage though because I'm not buying GTS any time soon for reasons more important than graphics, so having the graphics thread dedicated to it for a while is fine.

rashbeep

Banned
Its because Driveclub uses volumetric clouds while other games use traditional skyboxes. Volumetric clouds are expensive, and might not look as pretty as often, but it helps make the lighting look more natural.

To be fair neither of them look that good. The clouds lack so much definition.

SaganIsGOAT

These threads will always devolve into the same arguments for a few simple reasons.

Speaking about console specifically:
You have 30fps closed circuit racers
You have 60fps closed circuit racers
You have 30fps open world racers

Each of these games has to be built around its framerate and the scale of closed circuit vs open world. This is inherently always going to force devs to do certain things better or worse because of their restrictions or lack thereof. Personally, I think GT Sport as a 60fps closed circuit racers looks fantastic. I think Driveclub as a 30fps closed circuit racers looks fantastic. I think Horizon 3 as an open world 30 fps racer looks fantastic. I guess for me I'm able to mentally accept the underlying goal of the tech before I start tearing apart the graphics.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so you're saying Driveclub - a racing game where you drive around at 100mph+ - only looks good when you're driving around at 100mph+?

I'm sure they will too. But I don't think they'll look that bad.
They will. You can cherry pick some shitty looking Uncharted 4 shots despite it being one of the best looking games of all time.

Also, here's a blast from the past comparison

lJc_dt.gif

We all know that Forza 6 doesn't actually look that bad 99% of the time.

Gestault

I'm sure people will be able to cherry pick terrible looking Horizon shots when it releases a well.

If you've played even the first tour or so of Driveclub, you see those really bad instances in the pre-race flyovers and even just driving on the track in a lot of areas. It's always there. I know how people can be overly negative/picky about some stuff, but I've gotta say, this isn't a hidden-behind-the-barn sort of thing.

Driveclub can look legitimately stunning, but it has some rough spots even after the post-launch improvements.

drotahorror

You ever actually stopped and looked at Driveclub??

Garbage compared to Forza Horizon 3.

You ever looked at console screenshot threads? Driveclub can look good in pictures. But even better in motion. It's the best looking racer imo in motion. Nothing can top it, not sure anything will this generation.

psn

You ever actually stopped and looked at Driveclub??

RPMRaFJ.jpg

XATtoQD.jpg

Garbage compared to Forza Horizon 3.
Here we go again... compare the worst screenshots of a game to the best screenshots of another game to prove a point.
However, the IQ in DC is not that good in stills, looks much better in motion.

Not a sucker for IQ though, I prefer playing a game with 144 fps vs 60fps with heavy AA.

I don't know why my opinion is bothering some of you guys so much.

The screens I posted are legitimate. I don't care for the clay-like look that Driveclubs environments have. Don't care for the instanced trees that are 2d and follow you as the camera moves.

FH3 looks better and way more impressive to me.

Top Bottom