• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

pop_tarts

I can't go on gaming sites while at work...don't ask me why they haven't block neogaf...I guess just like E3 o.o its not a real gaming site XD

Qassim

If GTAV had cockpit view it'd be the most fully featured open world racer out there.

But since it doesn't, Forza Horizon 2 will have to do ;p

GTAV PS4/XBO/PC looks like it may have - they made a point of showing the modeled cockpit and speedometer in the teaser trailer.

Afrikan

images

No I don't include Mainstream FH because that's by Turn10 so Forza 5 and Forza 4 are Turn10's babies. Now yes you could argue since Evo had one year if you don't add RC which was a Vita and PS3 game...but you can't because never the less its a game that was developed by them so They both had the same amount of time. I'm all for proving points, but when you exclude things just because you feel its necessary to win the argument that's when I don't believe its far.

I sincerely doubt that the whole of Evolution worked on RC for any significant length of time, but sure, I can't really prove that.

It is true that Playground profited from having Forza 5's engine available, even if it had to be modified in a number of areas. On the other hand, as it has already been pointed out, their engineering teams were helping on FM5 in the first place, and there's also something to be said for having an engine custom made for your game alone versus using a more generic solution.

All car models and other assets also had to be modified, and a number of them are completely new to the franchise. As there are roughly four times as many as in Driveclub, that's a moot point. Besides, tech and assets are usually not made by the same people.

The main point I was trying to make was that Driveclub would be a significantly different game had it released according to its original schedule. Even if we ignore Evolution's embellished claims about the game being 10 years in development, it surely had a normal development period even before the delay.

amar212

With Sony you never know, who really expected them to close WipeOut devs? DC is there to close the niche because GT will take a few more years, it's a wise business decision by Sony but once GT7 drops DC will be history.

So, opinion presented as a fact.

Man, you shod travel back in time in the original GTvsFM thread and groom your presentation skills there.

Wipeout didn't had any chance from other reasons. Sales were in decline with every new game and focus groups and researches among consumers showcased serious dissinterest for such concept of racers. It was simply not commercially interesting except for hardcore fans.

How many Wipeout games have you bought in past 7 years? Same question to everyone.

You are simply talking crazy stuff, first that subjective insanity with "generational ahead" yesterday and today this.

Why are you doing that?

A friend rated the visuals of the big hitters. (He's as big as graphics whore as you'll ever meet.)

DriveClub >>>>>>>>>> Horizon 2 >> Project Cars.

In terms of impressiveness (beyond just visuals, taking scale/scope into account)

Horizon 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DC >>>>>>>>>>>>> PC

In terms of impressive environments (this was mostly a wash but he gave H2 the edge thanks to the city/town environments, but he was blown away by how well realised the environments where in DC)

Horizon 2 > DC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PC

Overall he gave the edge to DC as he couldn't get over visually stunning it looked, but he felt Horizon 2 was perhaps more impressive in terms of what it was doing and the fact that they managed to hit 1080p with a stable frame-rate.

Any reports of frame rate drops in either game?

Both H2 and DC were relatively stable from what I've heard. Then again, this is just one person's feedback and I don't believe he's as sensitive to frame rate drops as others like dark, etc.

PC is probably the same, I didn't really bother to ask too much about this as I'm not a big sim racer fan.

Sayad

Both H2 and DC were relatively stable from what I've heard. Then again, this is just one person's feedback and I don't believe he's as sensitive to frame rate drops as others like dark, etc.

PC is probably the same, I didn't really bother to ask too much about this as I'm not a big sim racer fan.
In GC2014 show floor impressions thread, dark10x said PC's framerate was bad... Or at least it was not a stable 60fps.

shandy706

Ok, so the talk of PGR4 earlier made me nostalgic.

Found my copy deep in the collection and fired it up.

How in the world did they pull this off? Not only so early in the 360's life, but period?

It was like the perfect group of racing game makers came together. Here are some large gifs from my own game.

Gif overload, but it's just amazing even after all these years.

ufvbhm.gif

oshubl.gif

zfskkh.gif

xenerp.gif

pbiftn.gif

It benefits either case, in terms of looking more realistic. I was referring specifically to this image:

ibnaEcz7viI6MU.gif

Which apparently looked enough better than the direct-feed shots and gifs everywhere that people at the studio chose it to re-tweet to promote the game.

I can't tell what game this is - since all these racing games are gorgeous.

But whatever it is - it's gorgeous. But more importantly, the sense of speed is fucking terrifying. I don't even want to play it since it would seem too scary and stressful. But I know racing fans are loving it so good on it =)

T.O.P

Banned
I still remember that i had a video of PG3 first reveal on my phone and i used to show it to everyone because it looked fuckin unbelievable

Anyoway, racing games are coming in full force this fall, i couldn't be happier really :D

Used to run PGR 3 on my old CRT, looked incredible and the sub HD resolution meant nothing. The lighting just looked so right. Trees were a bit shit though.

Although they upped the resolution for 4 I felt they really lost something in the lighting.

How in the world did they pull this off? Not only so early in the 360's life, but period?

It was like the perfect group of racing game makers came together. Here are some large gifs from my own game.

Me and my friends re-visited Bulldog mode couple of years ago, after years of me not touching it, and I just couldn't believe how well the visuals held up. Riding in first-person on the GSXR1000 was just exhilarating, especially in the rain, with all the water droplets streaking up the windshield.

To this day it's the best racing game I've ever played.

Caayn

Gif overload, but it's just amazing even after all these years.
Posts like these make me regret that I skipped out on PGR4 :(

You have to wonder how a new PGR would look like on Xbox One...
Bizzare Creations was the best racing game developer out there IMO.

Weather effects in PGR 4 STILL hasn't been topped to this day. That is saying something.
MS should have bought this developer when they had the chance.

Forza Horizon is nice but PGR is GOAT.

nib95

Banned
You have to wonder how a new PGR would look like on Xbox One...
Bizzare Creations was the best racing game developer out there.

Weather effects in PGR 4 STILL hasn't topped to this day. That is saying something.
MS should have bought this developer when they had the chance.

Forza Horizon is nice but PGR is GOAT.

Well some of the ex PGR guys are working at Playground Games, Evolution and Lucid Games now. I believe Project Gotham Racing's lead designer, Ged Talbot, joined Evolution Studios in 2011.

abadguy

Banned
Well some of the ex PGR guys are working at Playground Games, Evolution and Lucid Games now. I believe Project Gotham Racing's lead designer, Ged Talbot, joined Evolution Studios in 2011.

Seems like FH and DC will be the closest we'll ever get to a PGR game. PGR4 was amazing in nearly every way, one of the best racers i've ever played and graphically still holds up well.

Well a some of the ex PGR guys are working at Playground Games, Evolution and Lucid Games now. I believe Project Gotham Racing's lead designer, Ged Talbot, joined Evolution Studios in 2011.

I know. Those talented guys are still working on racing games, luckily, but I just want a new PGR.

I had so much fun with this franchise, will never forget how PGR 3 blew my mind at the launch of the 360.

Playing this game on little HD "ready" TV at that time was a true next-gen experience to me.

Long before the launch of PS3. Just saying.

A friend rated the visuals of the big hitters. (He's as big as graphics whore as you'll ever meet.)

DriveClub >>>>>>>>>> Horizon 2 >> Project Cars.

In terms of impressiveness (beyond just visuals, taking scale/scope into account)

Horizon 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DC >>>>>>>>>>>>> PC

In terms of impressive environments (this was mostly a wash but he gave H2 the edge thanks to the city/town environments, but he was blown away by how well realised the environments where in DC)

Horizon 2 > DC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PC

Overall he gave the edge to DC as he couldn't get over visually stunning it looked, but he felt Horizon 2 was perhaps more impressive in terms of what it was doing and the fact that they managed to hit 1080p with a stable frame-rate.

? Pardon my french, but why should we care about your friend's assessment? Was he a Gamescom visitor?

Once Metro Redux comes out I think I'll do a comparison between that and Wolfenstein on PS4. Should be pretty conparable since they're 1080/60 and similar games.
They are 2 fps games but that's as far as similarities go. Just wondering what's the point of a comparison between those 2 specific games. DIfferent artstyles and such.

Generational difference.

The main difference here for me is FH's cars maintaining saturation and contrast in comparison to the scenery, DC's look perfectly planted in the scene, seeing them side by side makes it all the more noticeable.

Forza 5 does this too on overcast tracks like Silverstone and the Top Gear track.

I can't really explain the contrast, that just might be nitpicking but imo Forza's paintwork is often over saturated, seeing some of these supercars under changing conditions a couple of weeks ago made it all the more obvious.

I think they like the pop of colour even if it's not always right.

How many maps are there in DriveClub? I am afraid that I will get bored of playing on the same maps all the time. Also how many game modes are there?

Lets not overrate PGR3/4 now. I've probably put 1000 hours into both of those games and the visuals range from mediocre to great depending on the track. PGR3 was a jaggie mess and only had 5 locations, PGR4 looked better but the texture work wasn't the best and the car models were shit.

Playing GT5s city tracks like London really put PGR to shame in actual person, especially with the 60 vs 30 fps. When you compare the race circuits like Nur, its a much bigger gap.

Graphics aside PGR lost its way after the brilliant PGR2 and they were never able to match its brilliance. PGR2 is a top 3 racing game ever, the sequels not so much although I liked the addition of bikes in 4 and Macau and Quebec were really solid.

nOoblet16

Used to run PGR 3 on my old CRT, looked incredible and the sub HD resolution meant nothing. The lighting just looked so right. Trees were a bit shit though.

Although they upped the resolution for 4 I felt they really lost something in the lighting.

They scrapped away the HDR in PGR4, only photomode got you HDR in PGR4.
Also almost everytime someone posts a gif of PGR it's an offscreen one which makes it look much better than it did.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Horizon 2, DriveClub and maybe The Crew?

I wouldn't say they are dead, if anything, AAA arcade-y racers are having a renaissance.

i find it funny that the racing genre has two subgenres, sim and arcade. if the game isnt trying to smulate real driving/racing its labled in the catchall "arcade racer" category. lumping forza horizon, driveclub, pgr in the same category as daytona, ridge racer, and hell mario kart in the same subgenre is just strange.

i find it funny that the racing genre has two subgenres, sim and arcade. if the game isnt trying to smulate real driving/racing its labled in the catchall "arcade racer" category. lumping forza horizon, driveclub, pgr in the same category as daytona, ridge racer, and hell mario kart in the same subgenre is just strange.

I believe DC and FH2 are labelled as 'simcade'. I wouldn't call them arcade titles at all.

dual shockers has two off-screen videos up showing the damage on both

driveclub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eke6ebAaE5M

horizon 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34h6A5DE3g

ps
i think its unfortunate that on horizon video they omit to show us all the open world destruction shenanigans that led to the car's cosmetic damage. they just show the car. :/
also I think mechanical damage was not enabled in the gamescom demo.

I seriously never knew they'd implemented this in FH2. I know it can be toggled off, but that's pretty big in my view.

Top Bottom