• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

nib95

Banned
Not seeing any "generational difference" at all. I see one going for more "realistic" lighting while the other is more saturated.
One looking life like or realistic versus one that looks more traditionally video game like, is sort of telling of that sort of difference in the first place. And the differences go well, well beyond just lighting saturation. It's not like the Horizon team aren't going for realism either, their tech and engine just isn't there yet. My guess is it won't be till FH3 or 4 that it starts getting closer to DriveClub's level of graphical fidelity.

p3tran

Banned
One looking life like or realistic versus one that looks more traditionally video game like, is sort of telling of that sort of difference in the first place. And the differences go well, well beyond just lighting saturation. It's not like the Horizon team aren't going for realism either, their tech and engine just isn't there yet. My guess is it won't be till FH3 or 4 that it starts getting closer to DriveClub's level of graphical fidelity.

this is a bit funny to read, considering what each game does and doesnt do, one would easily say that its horizon the game with the more advanced engine and tech. (streaming open world, practically no barriers, full customization (visual included), damage to environment, damage to car, much "wilder" physics etc etc)

so if you think that it will take a couple of forza horizons to reach the driveclub shaders, how many driveclubs you think it'll take to reach horizon 2 in ...everything else?

Gestault

One of those games is attempting more than the other, I agree with that.

IcyEyes

I played both games and in my opinion DC feels a bit more sim over FH2.
I love both games and can't wait to play them!

Btw, 'simcade' is the right "label" for these 2 games. Mario Kart is an arcade game.

Game4life

Banned
I dont know how anyone with a straight face can say FH2 looks better than Driveclub but then again console allegiances seem to influence opinion more than objectivity.

God damn, with the overcast lighting this genuinely looks like a real photo.
mclarenf1_wm_carreveal_week5_forzahorizon2.jpg

So hyped.

pr0cs

this thread is exciting and depressing at the same time.
All these great looking games and then the thought of having to play them with a fucking controller instead of a racing wheel :(

Gestault

this thread is exciting and depressing at the same time.
All these great looking games and then the thought of having to play them with a fucking controller instead of a racing wheel :(

It kills me that all the major console platforms dropped the ball on legacy support for mid-range wheels.

Sigh.

Let's not pretend this will ever be a sensible comparison. I mean one game starts a countdown timer if you even get close to the sides of the road, the other allows you freedom to drive almost anywhere...

Not only that, you're comparing two images from what I can only assume is a YT stream.

WHY? Why would you do such an injustice to two great games?

I dunno, I think if PG are going for a realistic looking game they could learn something from that comparison even if DC's lighting can't be matched.

FH has been said to have a 'correct' atmosphere but the cars don't seem to be bound by the same rules as the scenery going by things like the fogging.

All games look really good.

I own MK8 and it looks amazing in motion and it is a lot of fun. Not much of a racing fan now, last gen only bought Gran Turismo 5.

To compliment MK8 I will grab PC or DC on PS4. Will check out the free version of DC and reviews for both games. I am a fan of 60fps so PC has the edge there.

In terms of visuals:

Drive Club > Project Cars > Horizon 2

Regardless, even the worst looking game is still very visual pleasing and it's open world.

Be happy that the biggest player in the racing genre (Gran Turismo) is absent, yet we've still come to the point where we have three high production valued racing games that are likely to be great games. Racing fans should be happy. All over you guys' faces.

Korezo

I wish there was a wheel that worked for ps4/one/PC.... Because these racing games look amazing that now I want to play them all.

pr0cs

I wish there was a wheel that worked for ps4/one/PC.... Because these racing games look amazing that now I want to play them all.

well even if they were backward compatible with last gen, it's bad enough our software libraries are orphaned but now the peripherals are too.

it's making it very difficult to want to buy any of these racing games when I know I won't get to use my existing wheels.

nib95

Banned
this is a bit funny to read, considering what each game does and doesnt do, one would easily say that its horizon the game with the more advanced engine and tech. (streaming open world, practically no barriers, full customization (visual included), damage to environment, damage to car, much "wilder" physics etc etc)

so if you think that it will take a couple of forza horizons to reach the driveclub shaders, how many driveclubs you think it'll take to reach horizon 2 in ...everything else?

Even taking in to considerations FH2's open world design, DC is still considerably more technically accomplished. We will have open world racers that are as good looking if not better looking than FH2 in the next few years, in-fact in many ways Need for Speed Rivals, a launch title, already is comparable graphically. But it's going to be a while before arcade racers match Driveclub's tech and visuals. Personally, whilst GT7 may look more realistic in areas, I doubt it's overall tech will be able to match Driveclub's (especially in terms of dynamic GI, fully volumetric clouds, the immense geometric complexity and density of environments etc etc).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Yeah, by FH3 or 4 they'll have updated the Xbone's firmware to unlock the DGPU, which will give Playground the same amount of hardware grunt as Evolution.

Gestault

Even taking in to considerations FH2's open world design, DC is still considerably more technically accomplished. We will have open world racers that are as good looking if not better looking than FH2 in the next few years, in-fact in many ways Need for Speed Rivals, a launch title, already is comparable graphically. But it's going to be a while before arcade racers match Driveclub's tech and visuals. Personally, whilst GT7 may look more realistic in areas, I doubt it's overall tech will be able to match Driveclub's (especially in terms of dynamic GI, fully volumetric clouds, the immense geometric complexity and density of environments etc etc).

As much as I think you may overstate (or overly presume) your points, the fact that we can say anything close to this when the title had to be retooled so recently is a sign of the talent behind Driveclub. From that recent Yoshida interview:

[Yoshida]: Last year we were hoping to get it done, but there was a huge technical issue. So the team had to go back and re-engineer some parts of the game. That's the reason it took so long. It's almost a whole year, because the team went back to the drawing board in some of the key aspects of the game.

And the game looks as far along as it does compared to almost everything else on the market? That's incredible work.

That looks better than project cars. How?

And how good is Gran Turismo 8 gonna look 5-6 years from now?

30 fps on a hd7850 is going to look pretty good

project cars for its amazing car models and dynamic clouds and good textures is still designed to run on wii u in the end, the tracks (polycount/density) are never going to look much better than last gen shit.

Top Bottom