• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Three

not sure that's a parking sensor looks like it's access to something, its more detail to render so I don't think It's been put there for the sake of it. Maybe its a revision like I said or ones a European version and the other is for the American market, different regs etc

The parking sensor I've seen are usually next to the back light.
feedfa86cf2ea904fb576e8106336974--la-ferrari-ferrari-laferrari.jpg

The only other thing it could be is the tow hook access hole but that is usually behind the registration plate but missing there.

Ferrari-LaFerrari-crash-Budapest-Hungari-5-e1446499534640.jpg

I'm starting to think maybe somebody stuck a texture on upside down somewhere and it's propagated from game to game. In any case it would be cool to find out what that hole is and why it doesn't match any Laferrari I've seen.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I don't know what it is, but Driveclub has it too on the same location. So it must be on some models, can't be just luck that 2 different studio's put a hole in the same place.
video-games-driveclub-ferrari-599xx-laferrari-racing-1.jpg

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I don't know what it is, but Driveclub has it too on the same location. So it must be on some models, can't be just luck that 2 different studio's put a hole in the same place.
video-games-driveclub-ferrari-599xx-laferrari-racing-1.jpg
hard for me to see as I'm still on phone but isn't that the same grill mesh as F7 model ?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question. Is there a modern equivalent to Midnight Club 3?

Three

So maybe the the mesh is correct after all, just a revision/different version
They may use the same supplied model. I've only ever seen it in games. GTA4 mod has it too. If you look at the official video you see that thier 3D render has it but the actual car they produced in the same unvieling video doesn't:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjhf5ZvoykE&ved=0ahUKEwiehYTjmMjbAhXPFsAKHTZnBm0QwqsBCFcwCw&usg=AOvVaw2Nq9CGHOXU17RsEayl5VF0

So I'm going to guess that they revised the design before producing any actual cars but that model still exists virtualy.

Weird question. Is there a modern equivalent to Midnight Club 3?
Not really. GTA5 races has some resemblance simply because it's rockstar but there isn't one I would call equivalent to MIdnight Club 3.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
sounds pl
They may use the same supplied model. I've only ever seen it in games. GTA4 mod has it too. If you look at the official video you see that thier 3D render has it but the actual car they produced in the same unvieling video doesn't:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjhf5ZvoykE&ved=0ahUKEwiehYTjmMjbAhXPFsAKHTZnBm0QwqsBCFcwCw&usg=AOvVaw2Nq9CGHOXU17RsEayl5VF0

So I'm going to guess that they revised the design before producing any actual cars but that model still exists virtualy.

Not really. GTA5 races has some resemblance simply because it's rockstar but there isn't one I would call equivalent to MIdnight Club 3.
sounds plausible

Gingen

Banned
Stop lying, i have never compared PC with a standard PS4. I don't even have a standard PS4, only the Pro. You did compare the standard Xbox with the Pro. Also not all reflection are 60fps in GTS, not even on the Pro. Interior relfections are like 15fps~ in GTS, Forza on my PC has 60+fps reflections in all views. And you call the relfections in Forza on the standard Xbox One low resolution like the standard PS4. Thats completely untrue, even on the standard console the reflections looks better than the reflections in GTS on the Pro. Also what happend to the, bu bu but Pro is better than 2000$ PC.

PS4 PRO screeshots in 1080p mode = screenshots from PS4 standard..... one of your tricks to make the game look worse

now continue your campaign against GTS ignoring the two ingame videos I've posted where GTS clearly looks better

LostDonkey

I knew it wasn't a parking sensor they are usually flush to the surface and not a recess.

Probably be the artists signature I'd think.

Turk1993

PS4 PRO screeshots in 1080p mode = screenshots from PS4 standard..... one of your tricks to make the game look worse

now continue your campaign against GTS ignoring the two ingame videos I've posted where GTS clearly looks better
So Forza 7 on pc looks identical to Xbox One S since they both run 1080p right? lol. 1080P vs 1800CB will not make the car model better. Infact the 1080P looks better than the 1800CB mode because it enables motion blur and backfire. Also my last shots where in 1800Cb so stop crying. The only campaign i have is against blind fanboys like you. You post standard Xbox One footage and try to compare it with the Pro and with no shame you call me for cherry picking.

two differents studios? no the cars models are made by the same Vietnamese studio for both games
immagineocomz.jpg

http://www.glassegg.com/portfolio/
It doesn't mean its the same model, they have modeld for The Crew 2 too but its a different model. The Laferrari was sinds 2013 in Forza, Driveclub had the Lafferrari sinds 2015.

Turk1993

Well there you go,I could swear I read a few pages back that Driveclub has the best models.
Driveclub ingame car model is really high quality probably the second best, because its using a slightly lower lod wich is really hard to notice. But some of the interior shaders are really starting to look a bit dated compared to Forza and GTS. But still amazing in game car quality.

thelastword

Banned

Graphics and sound, DC and GTS takes it, but these are all nice racing games......I think Need for Speed Payback looks better than Horizon and the Rain Spray off tyres in The Crew2 is very nice, the effect looks much better than in Forza 7.....

I think Onrush is in trouble, it looks nice, but I don't think the appeal will be there for most people. I just wish Sony would have kept EVO, I mean a Motorstorm Reboot or A DC2 could have been huge for them as PS5 launch games....I just hope everything does not go sour for them/(EVO) over at Codemasters.....Or I hope onrush does better than I think it's going to do......

LostDonkey

You think need for speed payback looks better than Horizon...

Now I know you're just a complete and utter troll and you're going on my block list.

Last edited:

sigrad

Graphics and sound, DC and GTS takes it, but these are all nice racing games......I think Need for Speed Payback looks better than Horizon and the Rain Spray off tyres in The Crew2 is very nice, the effect looks much better than in Forza 7.....
Holy shit. This comment takes the cake.

Last edited:

Gingen

Banned
So Forza 7 on pc looks identical to Xbox One S since they both run 1080p right? lol. 1080P vs 1800CB will not make the car model better. Infact the 1080P looks better than the 1800CB mode because it enables motion blur and backfire.

In 1800p the IQ is a lot better... stop lying

Also my last shots where in 1800Cb so stop crying. The only campaign i have is against blind fanboys like you. You post standard Xbox One footage and try to compare it with the Pro and with no shame you call me for cherry picking.

motogamestv videos of FM7 are from oneX

rhtrthtrhgosng.jpg

stop lying - combo x2

Last edited by a moderator:

Turk1993

In 1800p the IQ is a lot better... stop lying

motogamestv videos of FM7 are from oneX

rhtrthtrhgosng.jpg

stop lying - combo x2
Yeah hide the second video and the other shit you posted
42668245962_9eb18fe26c_o.png

FM7 real livery resolution on a standard xbox one.....

af9eac44-7b4f-43e3-a8wzqs1.png
the point is that on machines with the same amount of ram (8 GB for both ONE S and PS4/PS4 PRO) GTS has better livery textures than FM7.... FM7 has better livery textures only on machines with much more ram than a PS4/PS4 PRO
Look how stupid you look with all this shit you post, grown the fuck up.

Turk1993

Fh3 was the best looking racing game this gen, now they took it even further. the seasons, the landscape and that lighting gaddamn. It wil be fun to compare with all the other games here.

psn

Fh3 was the best looking racing game this gen, now they took it even further. the seasons, the landscape and that lighting gaddamn. It wil be fun to compare with all the other games here.
It was a good looking game but had way too many flaws imo. Even downsampled it doesnt stand out tbh.

Great game though, love the customization etc, even the DLCs were good. But graphically it was nothing special.

As soon as someone starts talking about DC taking the crown in the graphics department, you know they can't be taken seriously.

Aside from the bad IQ it looks stunning. Still not sure what game really looks better in motion than driveclub... I hope they release a similar graphics engine on pc, now that many of them work for codemasters.

Last edited:

Turk1993

It was a good looking game but had way too many flaws imo. Even downsampled it doesnt stand out tbh.

Great game though, love the customization etc, even the DLCs were good. But graphically it was nothing special.

Aside from the bad IQ it looks stunning. Still not sure what game really looks better in motion than driveclub... I hope they release a similar graphics engine on pc, now that many of them work for codemasters.
Its flaws where road reflection and no headlight shadows, outside that it has everything best in game car model, best shadows, highest draw distance, highly detailed environment, one of the best lighting, incredible sky, high quality textures, texture filtering, high quality reflections, high quality shaders, full 100+ 3d crowd, high quality particles, dynamic TOD and weather and top that its open world. There is no game close to this with the overal package. Every game does one or 2 things good, but this game does almost everything good outside the 2 things i mentioned. Now in FH4 they added headlight shadows and higher quality road reflections.
42734123141_cf88ea803b_o.png

42016731994_ef91cd780b_o.png

28860667528_29c61f6c2b_o.png

28860665758_156f0b43cb_o.png

42734097681_55dcbc4492_o.png

40923758720_65bec34548_o.png

42734086431_d4479e95b1_o.png

42734119871_335d2bc2a6_o.png

Last edited:

psn

Don't get me wrong, it is a good looking game. But the shaders are nowhere close to Driveclub, same for the lighting. Weather effects are good, but Driveclub is better in that regard as well. Of course there had to be made some sacrifices, but the lighting and shaders alone are so impressive that I couldnt care less about iq problems in a screenshot. And this is where it gets subjective. The first thing I do in games is turning off the AA, because I prefer a sharp picture and most games get that smeary look when you enable it (even msaa). Downsampling is a bit better but still - it doesn't bother me much.

Forza Horizon 3 will always have that gamey look. If you would show Driveclub and Forza Horizon 3 to my grandparents, they would be more impressed by Driveclub because it can look so real at times. You can instantly tell that FH3 is a game within the blink of an eye. If you want to make a listwar - go on. It doesn't matter. You can have the most detailed ingame car model but it won't make up the worse shaders and lighting in my opinion. Every game has it's shortcuts. It depends where the devs have their focus and what the playerbase prefers. If you prefer a higher detailed ingame car model for example - totally fine for me.

Driveclub also has the limitation of processing power - it could be even more impressive on pc. FH3 doesn't have that limitation, it won't get any better with a 2080ti.

I still love playing FH3, currently playing the shit out of it with my friends. I don't want to go and cherrypick some screenshots to underline the arguments I have made. I am just looking forward to FH4, trailer looked really good.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Of course Horizon will do 4k 60fps.......on PC with any mid range card.......Horizon always had good IQ, but it's tech was never that great. The first Horizon was impressive on 360 though, but since then it's just not that great on a technical level with the sequels.

Turk1993

Don't get me wrong, it is a good looking game. But the shaders are nowhere close to Driveclub, same for the lighting. Weather effects are good, but Driveclub is better in that regard as well. Of course there had to be made some sacrifices, but the lighting and shaders alone are so impressive that I couldnt care less about iq problems in a screenshot. And this is where it gets subjective. The first thing I do in games is turning off the AA, because I prefer a sharp picture and most games get that smeary look when you enable it (even msaa). Downsampling is a bit better but still - it doesn't bother me much.

Forza Horizon 3 will always have that gamey look. If you would show Driveclub and Forza Horizon 3 to my grandparents, they would be more impressed by Driveclub because it can look so real at times. You can instantly tell that FH3 is a game within the blink of an eye. If you want to make a listwar - go on. It doesn't matter. You can have the most detailed ingame car model but it won't make up the worse shaders and lighting in my opinion. Every game has it's shortcuts. It depends where the devs have their focus and what the playerbase prefers. If you prefer a higher detailed ingame car model for example - totally fine for me.

Driveclub also has the limitation of processing power - it could be even more impressive on pc. FH3 doesn't have that limitation, it won't get any better with a 2080ti.

I still love playing FH3, currently playing the shit out of it with my friends. I don't want to go and cherrypick some screenshots to underline the arguments I have made. I am just looking forward to FH4, trailer looked really good.
I know what you tryna say, but in Driveclub everything gets hiden by the motion blur and camera shake. Thats not a bad thing cuz it gives a amazing sense of speed and makes it look real. But when you compare the 2 side by side, Forza is the better looking game. The technical short comings of Driveclub is really too much to overlook when you compare it with Forza. Its still has the best weather system to date. But other than that Forza really looks better, like for the shaders i don't agree. Driveclub interior shaders look really outdated for the most part. The one's with a carbon interior can look nice because of the self reflection, but materials like leather, alcantra and wood and such don't look better than Forza. Lighting looks good but is too dark most of the time, its like filming with a non hdr phone camera. In both games you have time of day and lighting scenarios that make them look real. Also there are some serious problems with pop ins and draw distance, alot of things pop up like 10m from you. In FH pop up is not that much better but its a open world game where you see alot further then Driveclub and you can go anywhere. But like you said, if Driveclub was on PC with full support. Gaddamn that would melt eyes, like 4K 60fps with 16xAF, better textures, better draw distance, higher quality shadows and higher quality particles. But still you can't call Driveclub ugly, just not the best looking racing game anymore.
40934823310_522d74306d_o.png

42028184834_9a8703d283_o.png

42028207324_62c6a74463_o.png

42745774401_63cc86522a_o.png

MilkyJoe

I know what you tryna say, but in Driveclub everything gets hiden by the motion blur and camera shake. Thats not a bad thing cuz it gives a amazing sense of speed and makes it look real. But when you compare the 2 side by side, Forza is the better looking game. The technical short comings of Driveclub is really too much to overlook when you compare it with Forza. Its still has the best weather system to date. But other than that Forza really looks better, like for the shaders i don't agree. Driveclub interior shaders look really outdated for the most part. The one's with a carbon interior can look nice because of the self reflection, but materials like leather, alcantra and wood and such don't look better than Forza. Lighting looks good but is too dark most of the time, its like filming with a non hdr phone camera. In both games you have time of day and lighting scenarios that make them look real. Also there are some serious problems with pop ins and draw distance, alot of things pop up like 10m from you. In FH pop up is not that much better but its a open world game where you see alot further then Driveclub and you can go anywhere. But like you said, if Driveclub was on PC with full support. Gaddamn that would melt eyes, like 4K 60fps with 16xAF, better textures, better draw distance, higher quality shadows and higher quality particles. But still you can't call Driveclub ugly, just not the best looking racing game anymore.
40934823310_522d74306d_o.png

42028184834_9a8703d283_o.png

42028207324_62c6a74463_o.png

42745774401_63cc86522a_o.png

Aye it looks like turd, we're 5 years down the line, people need to let it go

There won't be anything to compare with, FH4 ballin league of it's own, plus, a big ass plus, it's on Scorpio.

Sure other racing titles on Y consoles will duke it out to no end, but FH4...You know the drill.

Last edited:
But haven't you seen the low-res GIFs that are clearly indicative of how the game looks on a 55" TV?
I still play it on my projector, and despite being obviously surpassed by other games in resolution or framerate (or both), it still manages to look absolutely stunning.

No other game on the market get scenery right like DC does.

Now if only Sony would do something to get it to run at 60 fps or with better resolution on the pro...

Turk1993

I still play it on my projector, and despite being obviously surpassed by other games in resolution or framerate (or both), it still manages to look absolutely stunning.

No other game on the market get scenery right like DC does.

Now if only Sony would do something to get it to run at 60 fps or with better resolution on the pro...
It can look good, but when you stop or when you look around alot of the thing are low res. The motion blur hides alot, plus the lighting system is really dark. Even in mid sunny clear day the game has some really dark spots in the interior. Its like the constrast of the black levels are upped 2 or 3 levels. But still it has its moments in motion plus with rain its still looks good. Wish they support the Pro with 1800P CB, 16xAF, better shadows and draw distance or 60fps.

dcll

Banned
As I am watching that video and seeing the first section with all the fall colors of the leaves and it being open world,I would like to see an open world rpg in that engine

Last edited:
As I am watching that video and seeing the first section with all the fall colors of the leaves and it being open world,I would like to see an open world rpg in that engine
Phil Spencer said something about Playground using their open-world "expertise" on other projects soon. We'll see.

psn

Aye it looks like turd, we're 5 years down the line, people need to let it go
But haven't you seen the low-res GIFs that are clearly indicative of how the game looks on a 55" TV?

Great contribution to the thread.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_driveclub_japan_race_2-33907_en.html

Clearly this is low-res and still looks shit, right? The game is just phenomenal in motion, still has the highest highs but also some of the lowest lows (low AF, some low res textures etc).

Shaders are not even comparable in FH3. I mean the polygons are there and the models look good, but a high polygoncount alone doesn't make a great looking car.

They look good though, but with the the lighting and the shaders from Driveclub it would look twice as good.

The tail lights often give it away in FH3. Please keep in mind, that I picked those pictures on purpose. There are cars where it isn't such a problem, the P1 for example looks great. The Alpha is also not bad.
You have the huge power advantage here, I mean I have an 8700k @5,2GHz and a 1080, but you can't bruteforce better shaders and lighting.

Settings are all Ultra, Motion Blur off and MSAA 4x.

Y0QLxJY.jpg

ND3btgC.jpg

W18PRiy.jpg

a5xxFAj.jpg

Last edited:

Apex

About the GTS vs FM7 in the last pages, if someone want a fair battle and show the real strong and low points of each game, start comparing screen captures taken directly from the gameplay or from HQ recorded videos with more than one car on track and avoid at all cost the use of photomodes or screen captures taken by the console or with the game paused (also from saved replays). There are many variables and tricks or bugs to make one game look better than other depending of the mode and the car pointed, but what matters and during the gameplay at the mid of a race things graphically can be very different: car models, reflections, texture resolution, detail, effects, AI cars LOD, lighting, filters, etc.

Forza used to have a great list of graphical tricks that can turn some comparisons misleading. From what I can remember in previous games the player's car in time trials (with no more cars on track) used to have the menu highest LOD, but with a grid of cars the player's car detail dropped considerable. At the start of the race the rotating camera did use an higher LOD with better textures than in-race. During a race, entering to photomode the player's car automatically swapped to an higher LOD. The rest of AI cars in the grid had no real time reflections and were noticeable less detailed than the player's car, also had less effects and worse lighting. On the hood view the game use a screen capture mapped onto the hood to fake a real-time reflection, that's the reason of the higher resolution exclusive only to that view, very different to other cameras and replays. In the cockpit view no real-time reflections were used. Reflections were running at half or less than the game framerate, also in the mirrors. And so on, this time with the PC version being used maxed to forgive Forza's flaws in console.

That was in the past but I'm sure that most of that tricks are still being used in FM7 plus new ones, as I noticed in some comparisons here.

So... anyone with a good HDMI video capture, with no bias, with both consoles/games and with some time? would be fun for sure to see raw real-time screen comparisons without adultered or staged images for one time. There are some good Youtube vids but are too compressed for this.

MilkyJoe

Great contribution to the thread.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_driveclub_japan_race_2-33907_en.html

Clearly this is low-res and still looks shit, right? The game is just phenomenal in motion, still has the highest highs but also some of the lowest lows (low AF, some low res textures etc).

Shaders are not even comparable in FH3. I mean the polygons are there and the models look good, but a high polygoncount alone doesn't make a great looking car.

They look good though, but with the the lighting and the shaders from Driveclub it would look twice as good.

The tail lights often give it away in FH3. Please keep in mind, that I picked those pictures on purpose. There are cars where it isn't such a problem, the P1 for example looks great. The Alpha is also not bad.
You have the huge power advantage here, I mean I have an 8700k @5,2GHz and a 1080, but you can't bruteforce better shaders and lighting.

Settings are all Ultra, Motion Blur off and MSAA 4x.

Y0QLxJY.jpg

ND3btgC.jpg

W18PRiy.jpg

a5xxFAj.jpg

Take away the wall of water and motion blur and you have a comparitively low IQ image, as you would expect from a start of gen game

driveclub_20151108151c6pat.png

driveclub_201511080143iy8j.png

driveclubj5qcm.png

Top Bottom