• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

thelastword

Banned
Real visuals in motion, the way we play......

Now that's how you do a sunset, perfect composition here...

Tokyo expressway, as realisitic as you going to see a racer in motion this generation (cars, atd, lighting).....Headlights in tunnels et al, great PBR pipeline..

And it's crazy that going back a couple of pages, somebody said I only post Shirrako's vids because of MB. I don't even like MB all that much in 60fps games and you can see me say that several times in a million tech threads. I like Shirrako's vids because they are crisper and have much less compression artifacts than any other GT vids on youtube, besides, he is a great driver with high quality content, so if his vids are the best, we should use it. I even suggested it would be even more ideal to get his vids up on gamersyde. Yet, I can see why some people would be against that seeing how they try to put GTS and even DC in the worse light possible with the crappiest screens and most compressed JPG screens they can find, whilst using Photomode Forza shots and the like......

And to clarify even further, Shirrako, does not use 1080p mode because it has MB, he uses it because replays are also at 60fps for his encodes, so 60fps in gameplay and replay.....which is so obvious since all his vids are first half gameplay, second half replay. It's really absurd the lengths people will go to set a disingenuous and false narrative.....

One thing is sustained though, you can take a game and run it at 4k, 8k,16k it will not make it a better looking game over a game rendered at 1080p with a higher quality rendering pipeline for cars, lighting, shadows, reflections, foliage, crowds etc....much higher ATD and expansive tracks. You will see all the weaknesses of the less ambitious racer in terms of graphical quality in motion. In stills you can render at 32k, against a more ambitious (higher poly racer) at 1080p, the higher poly models with proper occlusion in GTS will still come out on top ......This is not rocket science, this is just common sense, which have been proven a million times across many GTS threads. Resolution does not add detail or assets; better lighting, pit crews, better foliage or crowds, it does not add more expansive tracks, better cars, higher DD, realtime shadows....and SINCE it does not, it can only mean that such a game can never look better in motion over this more ambitious 1080p or 1800CB racer.

The proof is in motion.......Engines revving......

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Tokyo expressway, as realisitic as you going to see a racer in motion this generation (cars, atd, lighting).....Headlights in tunnels et al, great PBR pipeline..

And it's crazy that going back a couple of pages, somebody said I only post Shirrako's vids because of MB. I don't even like MB all that much in 60fps games and you can see me say that several times in a million tech threads. I like Shirrako's vids because they are crisper and have much less compression artifacts than any other GT vids on youtube, besides, he is a great driver with high quality content, so if his vids are the best, we should use it. I even suggested it would be even more ideal to get his vids up on gamersyde. Yet, I can see why some people would be against that seeing how they try to put GTS and even DC in the worse light possible with the crappiest screens and most compressed JPG screens they can find, whilst using Photomode Forza shots and the like......

And to clarify even further, Shirrako, does not use 1080p mode because it has MB, he uses it because replays are also at 60fps for his encodes, so 60fps in gameplay and replay.....which is so obvious since all his vids are first half gameplay, second half replay. It's really absurd the lengths people will go to set a disingenuous and false narrative.....

One thing is sustained though, you can take a game and run it at 4k, 8k,16k it will not make it a better looking game over a game rendered at 1080p with a higher quality rendering pipeline for cars, lighting, shadows, reflections, foliage, crowds etc....much higher ATD and expansive tracks. You will see all the weaknesses of the less ambitious racer in terms of graphical quality in motion. In stills you can render at 32k, against a more ambitious (higher poly racer) at 1080p, the higher poly models with proper occlusion in GTS will still come out on top ......This is not rocket science, this is just common sense, which have been proven a million times across many GTS threads. Resolution does not add detail or assets; better lighting, pit crews, better foliage or crowds, it does not add more expansive tracks, better cars, higher DD, realtime shadows....and SINCE it does not, it can only mean that such a game can never look better in motion over this more ambitious 1080p or 1800CB racer.

I was expecting to be really impressed by those videos, there ok but not amazing. Forza 7 demo with the thunderstorms on a base Xb1 is more impressive.
1080p mode looks better on a Pro for lods and draw distance, check the interior mirror for instance, in 1800p cb its awful.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Yes resolution can't add detail that isn't there, but it some cases can make detail that is there more clear, for instance Halo 5 when used on a XBX you can see details people never knew where there on a standard Xbox. But there is also the other side where it can make things look worse, imagine GTS lods, draw distance, flickering graphics and shadows at 4k, yep the blurred graphics hide a lot of GTS's sins to the masses.

BigLee74

Headlights in tunnels et al.

better lighting, pit crews, better foliage or crowds, (resolution) it does not add more expansive tracks, better cars, higher DD, realtime shadows....and SINCE it does not, it can only mean that such a game can never look better in motion over this more ambitious 1080p or 1800CB racer.

Hey, crusader. I've cut the shit out of your 1,000,000th bloated post on how PS racers are better than XBOX racers. Just stick to the above lines that you repeat endlessly, and give us all some of our lives back (you writing, us having to read).

Appreciated.

So im saying F7 looks better on 1.3tf XB1, id even say F5 is with its 1.2 tf available because of Kinect is better looking than 1.8 tf ps4 4.2tf Pro

So, GTS on weaker platform (Pro) looks better than FM7 on much stronger PC with several times stronger GPU, but FM7 on weakest platform looks the best = LOGIC

Last edited:
For Antigravity racers, Wipeout is the visual King. Antigraviator is #2, and Redout is #3.

For Pure speed, Redout is first. Wipeout is sadly the slowest game.

For the best combination of visuals, speed, and gameplay, I prefer Antigraviator.

Last edited:

Gingen

Banned
That's a huge difference.

real time
04p4s03.png

photo
0542sy9.png

real time
06alsz4.png

photo
07x8sfi.png

a huge difference... LOL

really don't you realize that every single GTS image posted by the two FM fans in this topic is manipulated to misrepresenting the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at 4k.

Pretty sad how Driveclub doesn't even have a Pro upgrade to 4K which is running at 30fps and GT Sport doesn't have native 4K even on the Pro. Both of which are also linear racing titles. Forza Horizon will be able to host 72 players online in an open world game and as mentioned also an option on the Xbox One X to be doing all of this at 60fps.

It's also worth noting when GT Sport is in motion it really doesn't look all that impressive visually.

GT Sport Gameplay

Last edited:

LostDonkey

For Antigravity racers, Wipeout is the visual King. Antigraviator is #2, and Redout is #3.

For the best combination of visuals, speed, and gameplay, I prefer Antigraviator.
Remember Xtreme G racing?

I used to love that game and it was a visual treat too. Wish they would bring it back.
real time
04p4s03.png

photo
0542sy9.png

real time
06alsz4.png

photo
07x8sfi.png

a huge difference... LOL

really don't you realize that every single GTS image posted by the two FM fans in this topic is manipulated to misrepresenting the game?

I don't understand. Your pictures show the exact same difference. The photo mode shots are a lot cleaner with no jagged edges visible anywhere. Probably SS?

Pretty sad how Driveclub doesn't even have a Pro upgrade to 4K which is running at 30fps and GT Sport doesn't have native 4K even on the Pro. Both of which are also linear racing titles. Forza Horizon will be able to host 72 players online in an open world game and as mentioned also an option on the Xbox One X to be doing all of this at 60fps.

It's also worth noting when GT Sport is in motion it really doesn't look all that impressive visually.

GT Sport Gameplay

It's pretty sad that Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 6 didn't get X support. Really, really sad. MS are such dicks.
Why you mentioned DC, i don't know. But FH4 won't be 4k/60. If GT doesn't look good to you visually, then FM7 looks worse than GTS.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Not at 4k.
Some people believe it's going to be 4k 60fps? My word....

In zone mode? Anyways, wipeout looks amazing for a 4k 60fps racer, perhaps the best looking 4k 60fps racer this gen. I could only imagine how much better it would look if it was a ground up game, but they did amazing work with this remaster with the facelift that it got.......Thanks to VR though, a new wipeout with cockpits on PS5 and insane next gen visuals is now looking likely, make it happen Sony.....

real time
04p4s03.png

photo
0542sy9.png

real time
06alsz4.png

photo
07x8sfi.png

a huge difference... LOL

Over and over, with your pics and writeups you have proven the consistency of GTS's visuals across the different modes. There was a time it was said that replays have better detail, that was squashed like the bug it was, then they moved on to Forza has more car detail, that bug was squahed too with zoom ins showing higher poly parts, better pbr work and occlusion on GTS's cars and the list goes on. Yet, such was not proven only in this thread mind you, but in several GT and Forza threads on GAF. Proper pic comparisons have been done, it's actually nauseating with how many there were.....So at this point, I just focus on the game in motion, which is how we play......I mean, none of the Forza fans are posting F7 vids at 32k for us to dissect, because unlike sprite, resolution is everything ;) innit?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
real time
04p4s03.png

photo
0542sy9.png

real time
06alsz4.png

photo
07x8sfi.png

a huge difference... LOL

Yeah keep posting 4 photomode images, cuz that how the game looks in game right. They are both in photomode. The only thing that the render does is supersampling, with the end result being native 4K image thats being supersampled from something higher. The car model, shadows and draw distance is not the same as in game. Then calls me out for misrepresenting the game lol.

It's pretty sad that Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 6 didn't get X support. Really, really sad. MS are such dicks.
Why you mentioned DC, i don't know. But FH4 won't be 4k/60. If GT doesn't look good to you visually, then FM7 looks worse than GTS.
It will be 4K 60fps on pc lol, and it wil be the new king. And no GTS doesn't look better than Forza 7.

We have Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 and now Forza Horizon 4 for Xbox One X replacements. Are you suggesting Driveclub 2 is coming out or are you accepting defeat by admitting you're stuck with what you've got? At least with Forza Horizon 4 on the Xbox One X you have that option, 4K or 60fps. On PC you can have both. Pretty impressive for an open world racing title, one that will also allow 72 player servers online. Now you can go back to hating on Microsoft because it somehow makes you feel better than allowing yourself to enjoy Forza Horizon 4.

Last edited:

Three

And this is what a fanboy looks like when runs out of arguments after showing him all the possible evidence in a specific discussion that he doesn't know about.

Pure joy. :LOL:

But, but, but... Digital Foundry confirmed that GTS looks better than FM7, of course they do! Take this you unlettered prick!

You heard me, pal? I can't establish a debate from one to one with my own evidence as you do, but it doesn't matter, I cling to others' half truths and make them an absolute truth because me!

What argument? What evidence do you need. The issue is the evidence I provide is brushed off with a misconstrued strawman argument so why should I waste my time posting further "evidence"? And by evidence I assume you mean the selective images some people are providing you here. Those are the only "half truths" you're going to find that they've been mod warned about already. People trying to make their fanboy favorite game look good and competitors bad. I dont want to waste my time doing the same thanks I need all the evidence I need to know what's being presented here isn't even a half truth because I play these games. There is little to no constructive arguments actually being made outside of 'lol look at this pic I took' without discussion. At least the other is an actual technical analysis, an actual technical discussion. If you want me to provide evidence of something that has been posted then tell me what specific discussion you are referring to and I'll gladly provide videos/screens when I get back from work.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So, GTS on weaker platform (Pro) looks better than FM7 on much stronger PC with several times stronger GPU, but FM7 on weakest platform looks the best = LOGIC
What are you on about. Is that your opinion or you saying i said that because i didn't say that. And btw it's been a while since i've seen that video but the Pc used i know didn't use a 29.4 tf GPU.

Last edited:
Console wars are bad, mmmkay?
It will be 4K 60fps on pc lol, and it wil be the new king. And no GTS doesn't look better than Forza 7.

I'd never talked about PC version for FH4. FM7 doesn't look better than GTS. Maybe FM7 looks better than GTS in your room. Anyway, DF proved to the public that GTS looks better. I know it hurts.

We have Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 and now Forza Horizon 4 for Xbox One X replacements. Are you suggesting Driveclub 2 is coming out or are you accepting defeat by admitting you're stuck with what you've got? At least with Forza Horizon 4 on the Xbox One X you have that option, 4K or 60fps. On PC you can have both. Pretty impressive for an open world racing title, one that will also allow 72 player servers online. Now you can go back to hating on Microsoft because it somehow makes you feel better than allowing yourself to enjoy Forza Horizon 4.

What defeat? LOL. There is no competition cuz GTS graphically shits over FM7 like... [REDACTED]

Last edited by a moderator:

psn

Forza Horizon 3 VS The Crew 2

The Crew 2 looks good. But not enough cars imo :/ And the auction house in FH3 is a gift from heaven. However, I think the models have a higher polycount in FH3, but the lighting seems to be a bit better in The Crew 2. Just judging the video though. Alcantara shader doesn't look bad in The Crew 2 as well.

Last edited:

Turk1993

I'd never talked about PC version for FH4. FM7 doesn't look better than GTS. Maybe FM7 looks better than GTS in your room. Anyway, DF proved to the public that GTS looks better. I know it hurts.

What defeat? LOL. There is no competition cuz GTS graphically shits over FM7 like PS4 shits over Xbone.
Maybe GTS looks better in your room because you don't own Forza and never played it on a PC. And your last sentence shows clearly that you are a fanboy who can't accept that anything other than a sony game looks better than GTS.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The Crew 2 looks good. But not enough cars imo :/ And the auction house in FH3 is a gift from heaven. However, I think the models have a higher polycount in FH3, but the lighting seems to be a bit better in The Crew 2. Just judging the video though. Alcantara shader doesn't look bad in The Crew 2 as well.
What's happening with the mirrors tho in the Crew 2

You're right, why bother? It's clear you don't care what anyone shows you if it's not on the PS4 and Forza is just collateral damage to your agenda of not liking Microsoft/Xbox One.

Why bother.

So, your logic can be applied to Digital Foundry. They don't like Forza also. Really. I'm really sorry for you, Forza fans, that they showed and said publicly that GTS looks better on weaker platform than Forza 7 on much stronger PC.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I think Crew 2 is more impressive, it has a "much much much" larger open world, several vehicle types, so the point of going off course actually makes sense here, because you can go by boat or air etc.....There is much more traffic and persons on the streets, much more geometry, better lighting and shadows. Sound is obviously better, engine sounds especially, even the vehicles that randomly pass you in FH3 has the same sound loops when you're stationary....

One observation is how the baked reflections are overdone in FH3, it's just too much....I can observe the blurriness in TC2's mirrors as something that needs addressing, but it still reflects the environment at a higher clip than FH3, though it's blurred.....I personally never noticed before how trees just literally disappear from the backgrounds through the mirror in FH3. You watch the mirrors in the bmw vid towards the end of that video, that is very distracting. Same thing happens in Crew2 if you observe, but certainly not as pronounced, but maybe it's not as pronounced due to the blur...Hopefully the blur on mirrors is a bug from the beta and can be ironed out.....I think Crew 2 wins here in terms of scale, lighting and shadows....Should look even better if you can improve shadows resolution and effects resolution up a notch on PC from the console versions.....

BigLee74

So, your logic can be applied to Digital Foundry. They don't like Forza also. Really. I'm really sorry for you, Forza fans, that they showed and said publicly that GTS looks better on weaker platform than Forza 7 on much stronger PC.

DF don't like Forza? Prove it you dullard. Please don't link the face off video where it is quite clear that they like both games, and state nobody will be disappointed. Idiots like you should be banned outright from this and any forum.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think Crew 2 is more impressive, it has a "much much much" larger open world, several vehicle types, so the point of going off course actually makes sense here, because you can go by boat or air etc.....There is much more traffic and persons on the streets, much more geometry, better lighting and shadows. Sound is obviously better, engine sounds especially, even the vehicles that randomly pass you in FH3 has the same sound loops when you're stationary....

One observation is how the baked reflections are overdone in FH3, it's just too much....I can observe the blurriness in TC2's mirrors as something that needs addressing, but it still reflects the environment at a higher clip than FH3, though it's blurred.....I personally never noticed before how trees just literally disappear from the backgrounds through the mirror in FH3. You watch the mirrors in the bmw vid towards the end of that video, that is very distracting. Same thing happens in Crew2 if you observe, but certainly not as pronounced, but maybe it's not as pronounced due to the blur...Hopefully the blur on mirrors is a bug from the beta and can be ironed out.....I think Crew 2 wins here in terms of scale, lighting and shadows....Should look even better if you can improve shadows resolution and effects resolution up a notch on PC from the console versions.....
Funny you never noticed in GTS has it's terrible.

I'd like to apologize to everybody for me for stooping this low for name calling, but i just can't help myself. Thelastword You really are a prick.

LostDonkey

Funny you never noticed in GTS has it's terrible.

I'd like to apologize to everybody for me for stooping this low for name calling, but i just can't help myself. Thelastword You really are a prick.

His opinion is worthless anyway. He bases all his comparisons and knowledge of games that aren't on PlayStation on videos and pictures because his deluded fanboyism will not allow him to buy an Xbox or play a Game on PC and experience it for himself.

I mean imagine being a gamer and limiting yourself to one platform only just so you can only experience a small slither of what is actually available. What a pathetic way to spend a hobby.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-forza-horizon-4-e3-demo-hands-on

And with that came some trepidation. Forza Horizon 3 was a brilliant game and a massive step forward for the series, but could the developers deliver the same level of technical brilliant and innovations once more? After the astonishing reveal and 20 minutes of hands-on time, the signs are all looking good.

Yep, they hated it. Anything else you want to say here because it sure looks like you're done. Forza Horizon 3 was already a huge hit with reviewers and Forza Horizon 4 looks to be even better but thanks for your input, it's been very informative.

Calibos

You obviously know this because you own Forza horizon 3 right?

The Crew 2 is cool and all, but come on man. Obvious troll is obvious once again or obvious rampant fanboy console warrior is obvious once again...

Hook me up with your gamer tag and PSN ID so I can verify that you actually are a gamer because you smell like a fraud most of the time...a pretentious know it all fraud too.

Turk1993

The Crew 2 is cool and all, but come on man. Obvious troll is obvious once again or obvious rampant fanboy console warrior is obvious once again...

Hook me up with your gamer tag and PSN ID so I can verify that you actually are a gamer because you smell like a fraud most of the time...a pretentious know it all fraud too.
Im 100% sure he doesn't even play these games or own them. He took it to the next level when he compared the mirrors in The Crew 2 with Forza. And if he doesn't find anything new, he just copy past the same shit he wrote before.

DF don't like Forza? Prove it you dullard. Please don't link the face off video where it is quite clear that they like both games, and state nobody will be disappointed. Idiots like you should be banned outright from this and any forum.

Buahaha. I said according to his logic, DF don't like Forza because they clearly favorized GTS graphically. I also said that GTS looks better numerous times, well, i don't like Forza like DF too. If i am an idiot, what are you then?

Last edited:
So I know everything thelastword posts is bullshit, but this one is especially laughable and deserves highlighting just in case someone might accidentally believe him.

I think Crew 2 wins here in terms of scale, lighting and shadows

This one. This is proof you've either barely played TC2 or are ignoring its glaringly jittery shadows. Seriously, spend 5 minutes in one of the homespaces while the sun is out and you'll see dancing shadows everywhere as the sun moves. Forza's shadows do have some jitter to them, but it's absolutely nowhere near as pronounced.

This is TC2 on PC at max settings:
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DearestShinyGalapagossealion

Last edited:

Guaranteed you won't get a real PSN ID. It's a parody account to get others to fall victim to. It's best to just ignore him because you will never get a straight answer and he will never answer fully. I think we can all agree each racing game has its merits, when you see someone who never has anything good to say and its always the same platform related they are just suckering you in for attention.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
So I know everything thelastword posts is bullshit, but this one is especially laughable and deserves highlighting just in case someone might accidentally believe him.

This one. This is proof you've either barely played TC2 or are ignoring its glaringly jittery shadows. Seriously, spend 5 minutes in one of the homespaces while the sun is out and you'll see dancing shadows everywhere as the sun moves. Forza's shadows do have some jitter to them, but it's absolutely nowhere near as pronounced.

Wow really, I'm seeing more shadows being rendered in TC2, besides doesn't Crew 2 have soft shadows, so what are you on about....

Wow really, I'm seeing more shadows being rendered in TC2, besides doesn't Crew 2 have soft shadows, so what are you on about....

What does soft shadows have to do with any of this, and what does "more shadows being rendered" have to do with this? Every object in both TC2 and FH3 cast a shadow from the sun's light source. In TC2 the sun's movement is made extremely obvious by the constantly jittering shadows, and in FH3 this is nowhere near as much the case. That's it.

thelastword

Banned
What does soft shadows have to do with any of this, and what does "more shadows being rendered" have to do with this? Every object in both TC2 and FH3 cast a shadow from the sun's light source. In TC2 the sun's movement is made extremely obvious by the constantly jittering shadows, and in FH3 this is nowhere near as much the case. That's it.
I posted a vid showing the game at max settings on PC, where I just said shadows and effects resolution would be better on PC. Show me all these jittery shadows in the footage I showed? The shadow quality is of higher quality in TC2, obviously it was dialed down on consoles.....and no, you definitely don't want to be talking about shadow quality in the Forza series.

Last edited:
I posted a vid showing the game at max settings on PC, where I just said shadows and effects resolution would be better on PC. Show me all these jittery shadows in the footage I showed?
My video is also from max settings on PC. Is it somehow not good enough?

EDIT: I'd love to just try this just out of pure curiosity... when you see this edit, please list for me five things you like about Horizon 3's graphics without twisting them into negatives or comparing them to other games.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
The Admiester you are a riot, I even forgot that you were.....You posted a gif, with no specs, no settings shown and you're hell bent on saying one thing... shadows are awful on max settings PC. I post a vid, with PC build detailed, graphical settings shown at the top end of the video and you're saying I should believe you over a way superior video with over ten minutes of gameplay. I simply asked you to show me these jittery shadows in the video I posted and prove your point...because you don't want me showing how shadows behave in Horizon 3 or shadow draw distance in motion at high speeds in that game...

EDIT: I'd love to just try this just out of pure curiosity... when you see this edit, please list for me five things you like about Horizon 3's graphics without twisting them into negatives or comparing them to other games.

Told you that you're wasting your time. It's one big circle, round and round and see how he ignores other posts like the one from Calibos?

Three

I don't own and never played TC2 but those shadows look pretty good to me outside of the aliasing simply because they seem to update in realtime/higher rate. I've got FH3 though and this is how the shadows updated
Much lower time resolution and if you speed it up you get the same dancing edges to the shadows as TC2

The shadows in FH3 aren't higher resolution which is the effect you are seeing there.
Now this may be different on PC max settings because I didn't own that game on PC.

Last edited:
Told you that you're wasting your time. It's one big circle, round and round and see how he ignores other posts like the one from Calibos?
I've got the time to waste and in a depraved way it's entertaining, I really don't mind. It's fun to see the mental gymnastics involved with ignoring people's points so often and so thoroughly.

The Admiester you are a riot, I even forgot that you were.....You posted a gif, with no specs, no settings shown and you're hell bent on saying one thing... shadows are awful on max settings PC. I post a vid, with PC build detailed, graphical settings shown at the top end of the video and you're saying I should believe you over a way superior video with over ten minutes of gameplay. I simply asked you to show me these jittery shadows in the video I posted and prove your point...because you don't want me showing how shadows behave in Horizon 3 or shadow draw distance in motion at high speeds in that game...
Actually, I DO want you showing how shadows behave in FH3, because I damn well know how they behave and would love to see you try to prove your point. I'm also still waiting on you to at least try and list some positive things about the game which you've conveniently ignored again.

And here, here's clear footage The Crew 2 showing my graphics settings before unpausing back into showing the shadow movement. What's your excuse going to be this time?

Last edited:
Top Bottom