• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Sorry dude but this is just wrong.
- Forza does not even properly simulate driving model. In forza 7 "simulation" setting causes each car to behave like you drive on slicks so when you lose grip you will ALWAYS spin regardless how good your wheel work is. People who want even shred of actual simulation need to switch it to "normal" because then you can actually catch slides but on other hand it creates complete buffer between you and car which even more annihilates any feeling you have with wheel.
- Complete lack of detail on steering. Because there is no data. Road surfaces are completely flat. You don't feel anything in your wheel other than counter steer force which is numb as fuck and bumps. There is no any track detail on wheel because forza7 does not simulate it.

In other words F7 simulation is fucked. It is simcade.

GTSport model isn't the best in business (that is Iracing and AssettoCorsa) but it right after them. You can take F40 and compare it to Assetto Corsa F40 and you would hardly find difference. Take F7 F40 and you would feel like you drive bathtub.

F7 is good game. Just not good racing sim.
The fuck is this? 😅😅😅

I have not a single problem catching slides with sim steering.

detail in the steering? what?!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never actually driven a real car in your life 😅

Which is better?
42222370511_1f277ca91b_o.jpg

26113894627_5b869bee59_o.jpg

42222369821_3343cc748b_o.jpg

26113894907_fe1216618a_o.jpg
In those specific pics? Yes. The top 2 pics are the best. But I trust nothing being posted in this thread as TheLastWord set a precedence long ago of posting disingenuous screenshots and videos. What I do know is the best shots of FH4 verses the best shots of GTS isn't even a contest. FH4 smashes the competition.

But I trust nothing being posted in this thread as TheLastWord set a precedence long ago of posting disingenuous screenshots and videos. What I do know is the best shots of FH4 verses the best shots of GTS isn't even a contest. FH4 smashes the competition.

Yes, of course not. You trust MisterXMedia, that's for sure.

Yes, of course not. You trust MisterXMedia, that's for sure.
Don't be petty and hyperbolic. I abandoned that loony bin years ago. Bringing up such nonsense only shows your own insecurities and lack of intellectual ability to respond coherently. Nice try at a personal attack to attempt to marginalize my posts, though. ROTFL.

Gingen

Banned
GTS
vs
PC2 (standard PS4, without photomode)

granturismosport_2018wesk6.png

projectcars2_20180319knsq8.png

Other cherry picking guys are growing....

congratulations to you for having found the ugliest area of the whole track in GTS ... but unfortunately for you PC2 looks uglier

granturismosport_20189sd9a.png

Last edited by a moderator:

congratulations to you for having found the ugliest corner of the whole track in GTS ... but unfortunately for you PC2 looks even uglier

Trust me it takes talent and major skills to find what you just mentioned...so congrats is very much appreciated.

Don't be petty and hyperbolic. I abandoned that loony bin years ago. Bringing up such nonsense only shows your own insecurities and lack of intellectual ability to respond coherently. Nice try at a personal attack to attempt to marginalize my posts, though. ROTFL.

Who cares. You were there, you're marked. You also kept that mentality from that site. Never changed, Luv.

Last edited:

Hage Kamo

congratulations to you for having found the ugliest corner of the whole track in GTS ... but unfortunately for you PC2 looks even uglier

PC2 ,AC,forza7 have weather change, but not in GTS.
GTS is a flawed racing game just enough to be pleased by video commentators who emphasized "only the look of dry conditions"

Yamauchi also professs to abandon as it introduces rain as the quality down.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
The fuck is this? 😅😅😅

I have not a single problem catching slides with sim steering.

detail in the steering? what?!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never actually driven a real car in your life 😅

Of course you don't know what i am talking about because you never had wheel in hand with forza.
Especially about track detail is telling because it is EMPIRICAL fact confirmed many times on forza boards.

And mind you FM7 is first game where they even cared about proper wheel support and tried to even properly simulate experience for wheel users. When there released FM7 demo wheel support was even more broken than already is with simulation setting.

Last edited:
Why don't you tell everbody that FM applies anti-aliasing and other photomode filters at the moment you stop to move the camera? (before to take the picture), while GTS applies them only after you take the picture? So all your images that show the photomode HUD in both games to make it look a fair comparison actually are your umpteenth fake comparison
GTS also ramps up the tessellation as soon as it pauses or goes into photo mode whereas Forza doesn’t, so it’s not like it’s biased in either game’s favour anyway.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
?
GT sports cars have the same car models in photomode as in gameplay. Perhaps you mean other cars off in the distance?

The car model exteriors are superior to Forza 7 car models, and the cars have over 200k polygons, iirc.

GT sport car models are ps5 level car models.
I have showed more than 50 times that thats not true, go back a few pages and you will see. There is a massive difference between the in game model and photo mode and scape model, GTS uses lower lod models for gameplay. The in game car model in Forza 7 and FH4 on pc are much better than anything in GTS, its the same as the photomode model without any changes unlike GTS. Let alone PS5 quality the in game car model is not even top 5 right now, Forza 7, FH4, ACC, Driveclub and PC2 have much better in game car model than GTS. Yes the interiors look amazing but the car model is not interior only( and even there the lod is lower than Scape mode).

And i find it really funny that these trolls jumped back to Forza 7 because they couldn't handle FH4. They keep posting the same bullshit over and over again. When we compare something with same lighting, car and place they say its fake but they keep posting dark shadowles pictures to hide every low detail in GTS and without any shame they post low setting pc screens or base Xbox footage to prove that GTS looks better. Like how low can you guys go sometimes i wonder.
Of course you don't know what i am talking about because you never had wheel in hand with forza.
Especially about track detail is telling because it is EMPIRICAL fact confirmed many times on forza boards.

And mind you FM7 is first game where they even cared about proper wheel support and tried to even properly simulate experience for wheel users. When there released FM7 demo wheel support was even more broken than already is with simulation setting.
I played both with the same wheel G29 and G920 and they both suck to be honest. Compare them to AC or even PC2 with the right setting and you see how far behind those 2 are.
I have to premit that in order to replicate his images I have to capture the worst angles of the GT tracks that he have found and whitout using photomode (meanwhile he catch every single FM7 picture from the best angles possible and with photomode)...

granturismosport_2018fmiyf.png

notice the differences: amount of grass, crowd, texture detail, shadows... etc

granturismosport_2018jccve.png

notice the "GT sport" and "apex" flags on the left, I am in the same place of his picture but he is using some sort of super zoom to give the illusion that the hills/mountains in the background are very close to the track

compare his cherry picking trees to the normal trees that you can find in the game

granturismosport_2018bpe46.png

granturismosport_2018ktflf.png

It's clear that that guy is only a big troll
Yep keep posting photomode shots, that how GTS looks in game right?... Even then it looks as bad as his shots and compared to FH4 its not even a match.

Which is better?

Why not on the same place with the same lighting? Why not with the outside view? Why are you still posting low setting shots for Forza 7?

Dontero

Banned
I played both with the same wheel G29 and G920 and they both suck to be honest. Compare them to AC or even PC2 with the right setting and you see how far behind those 2 are.

As i said GTS is a level below but it is still sim. Take F40 from AC and GTS and you will hardly find any difference.

F7 is even level below GTS.

I have showed more than 50 times that thats not true, go back a few pages and you will see. There is a massive difference between the in game model and photo mode and scape model, GTS uses lower lod models for gameplay. The in game car model in Forza 7 and FH4 on pc are much better than anything in GTS, its the same as the photomode model without any changes unlike GTS. Let alone PS5 quality the in game car model is not even top 5 right now, Forza 7, FH4, ACC, Driveclub and PC2 have much better in game car model than GTS. Yes the interiors look amazing but the car model is not interior only( and even there the lod is lower than Scape mode).
Maybe I misheard but it seemed digitalfoundry, which is probably more skilled, said same models are used. If you see the digital foundry comparison, I bet you ACC, Driveclub PC2 and FH4 wouldn't fare that much better versus GT S in car comparisons than F7 did, GT S coming out on top

Importantly from what we can tell car and track detail in photomode is identical to what you can see during gameplay-digitalfoundry
SOURCE

Again if you've found some bug, or perhaps LOD change when cars clump up that is something different.

Last edited:

Gingen

Banned
PC2 ,AC,forza7 have weather change, but not in GTS.
GTS is a flawed racing game just enough to be pleased by video commentators who emphasized "only the look of dry conditions"

Yamauchi also professs to abandon as it introduces rain as the quality down.

AC weather change? where?
PC2 weather change? yes, but with disastrous framerate and a lot of tearing
Forza7 weather change? yes, scripted and only aesthetic. The proof is that the game doesn't provide the existence of rain tires... Donald Duck's car physic strikes back :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Turk1993

Maybe I misheard but it seemed digitalfoundry, which is probably more skilled, said same models are used. If you see the digital foundry comparison, I bet you ACC, Driveclub PC2 and FH4 wouldn't fare that much better versus GT S in car comparisons than F7 did, GT S coming out on top

SOURCE

Again if you've found some bug, or perhaps LOD change when cars clump up that is something different.

Its not a bug, its on every car i have shown 10+ cars and every car that i played had lower lod, the interiors are not even fully rendered, the wheels are lower quality and the body has a much lower polycount. Even the car that DF compared has a lower lod wich they didn't state. They just said that its the same as gameplay and compared the photomode model while in reality its not the same model. DF can make mistakes too, they are not always 100% accurate. I had a 10 page discussion about this, i have shown proof that its not just a bug on some cars but all cars have some sort of low lod change during gameplay even in time trial with 1 car on the track.

As i said GTS is a level below but it is still sim. Take F40 from AC and GTS and you will hardly find any difference.

That changes from car to car, muscle cars and slower road cars are much better in Forza while race cars suck. In GTS its the opposite race cars feel good, but cars like the La Ferrari and Shelby are too hard to control even with soft racing tires. They both equel sims to me, non stick out more than the other. One does 1 thing better the other does other thing better in physics and simulation. So lets get back to graphics comparison :).

Its not a bug, its on every car i have shown 10+ cars and every car that i played had lower lod, the interiors are not even fully rendered, the wheels are lower quality and the body has a much lower polycount. Even the car that DF compared has a lower lod wich they didn't state. They just said that its the same as gameplay and compared the photomode model while in reality its not the same model. DF can make mistakes too, they are not always 100% accurate. I had a 10 page discussion about this, i have shown proof that its not just a bug on some cars but all cars have some sort of low lod change during gameplay even in time trial with 1 car on the track.
It does appear you're right and some cars have downgraded ingame LOD. But it is claimed not all cars suffer this LOD change

I noticed that the in-game car models are graphically downgraded from what you see in garage, many details are far less refined, and the polygons count is considerably lower (wheel arches are not round, intake holes are rough, car's bodywork is less precise, and so on) ; not all cars suffer this downgrade though-slvrkt source

Some claim not all cars suffer from ingame LOD downgrade change. Why some do is a good question. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be that noticeable?

Last edited:

LostDonkey

AC weather change? where?
PC2 weather change? yes, but with disastrous framerate and a lot of tearing
Forza7 weather change? yes, scripted and only aesthetic. The proof is that the game doesn't provide the existence of rain tires... Donald Duck's car physic strikes back :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not on PC it doesnt with a decent setup.

Why use the lowest possible example as a comparison. PC is a part of this thread too. This isnt the Next Gen Console comparison thread.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Why use the lowest poasible example as a comparison. PC is a part of this thread too. This isnt the Next Gen Console comparison thread.
Because he thinks only 8gb ram consoles should be compared because other wise its not fair :messenger_tears_of_joy:, thats why he likes to compare base Xbox with the Pro. Really he is a joke at this point

Gingen

Banned

Why use the lowest poasible example as a comparison. PC is a part of this thread too. This isnt the Next Gen Console comparison thread.

On PC you can run any game at 8K and 240fps, the only limit are the money that you want to spend. Compare console games with PC games is pure nonsense.

LostDonkey

On PC you can run any game at 8K and 240fps, the only limit are the money that you want to spend. Compare console games with PC games is pure nonsense.

No it isnt. This the Next Gen graphics thread. If the game is available on PC (not emulated obviously) then its totally fair and acceptable. Games should be shown on the strongest platform they are available on. If you cant handle that then thats the only nonsense.

We have to see if DLSSx2 lives up to the hype. Because that is said to give 64xSS IQ, superior to 8k, basically perfect IQ. Future consoles will probably be able to implement similar techniques, if it does work, and then there will no longer be any IQ difference. Then it will be the best programmers and artists who will shine the most.

Stuart360

Man if the next gen Xbox ends up being more powerful than PS5, i really worry for the sanity of some of the users on here. Although if that ends up meaning a troll cull of the forum, bring it on!.

Man if the next gen Xbox ends up being more powerful than PS5, i really worry for the sanity of some of the users on here. Although if that ends up meaning a troll cull of the forum, bring it on!.

This more than likely to happen..MS I think will be on fire out of the gates..and NOT 2013 wreckfest.

LostDonkey

I'm not excluding PC. I'm interested in PC gaming too. But the PC vs console comparisons are simply stupid

Why?

If a game, say FH is available on PC why should we only compare the console version. Why should we omit effects that the artists intended, but the console had to cut because it simply doesnt have the power to display.

Thats absolute stupidity.

We should be celebrating the pinnacle of game design no matter what platform it is on, not showing a pared back version just because someone might get their feelings hurt.

Last edited:

Turk1993

It does appear you're right and some cars have downgraded ingame LOD. But it is claimed not all cars suffer this LOD change

Some claim not all cars suffer from ingame LOD downgrade change. Why some do is a good question. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be that noticeable?
It is on all cars but on some cars its harder to notice because they are not as detailed as lets say La Ferrari or 650S. Just like a Fiat 500 wich is a simple car with not much detail because the car looks like that in real life, like they can't add a wing with 10k polygons or bumper with crazy round flaps.

Last edited:

Bliman

Banned

Ok no problem. You have set the level what you consider a sim a lot lower.
But that's ok.
It's hard to judge what is a sim and what not. It's a fluid thing.
I don't consider GT a sim.
And it's an insult especially if you see what calculations for example PC2 is running under the hood.
And again I never said that I consider Forza a sim. Both GT and Forza are simcade at best.

Bliman

Banned
Which is better?

GTS wins this. I find the lighting of GT very good and this is much better in GT then in Forza.
I hate that Forza still hasn't done anything about this.
It's also one of the things I like about horizon. It's so atmospheric. In my mind it has much better lighting then Forza.
Why do you guys fight so much?
Are you all working for Sony or Microsoft?
Some comments are so childish.

It is on all cars but on some cars its harder to notice because they are not as detailed as lets say La Ferrari or 650S. Just like a Fiat 500 wich is a simple car with not much detail because the car looks like that in real life, like they can't add a wing with 10k polygons or bumper with crazy round flaps.
No it seems to not only be differences in innate detail. But different cars appear to have drastic variation for example in whether simple details such as the round area around the wheel looks smooth or blocky and polygonal.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Hey folks,

Let me start by saying that I love the passion in this thread, like legitimately.

That said...you guys get a little bit too passionate about attacking each other.

Please...please, keep your commentary about the games and not how shitty you think each other and each other’s opinions are.

You can bash arguments, but stop bashing each other.

I genuinely have no interest in being hard on people in here as I enjoy this thread as much as you guys do...but we really can’t be at each other’s throats cause someone had an opinion you didn’t like. Consider this a gentle warning to the community in here.

Also...the wipers in the last screencap of this post don’t actually wipe any water and therefore it’s trash. 😝

Also...the wipers in the last screencap of this post don’t actually wipe any water and therefore it’s trash. 😝

I get that this comment was in jest, but just in case anyone tries to pick up on it...

I checked the video running in slow mo and frame by frame, the wipers do wipe the water but extra drops appear immediately and some slide up from the bottom of the window after the wipe since the car is still splashing.

Darkdeus

Some FH 4 screenshots. Game is super arcadey but a ton of fun. They really nailed the lighting and vegetation.

Here's a few photo mode shots but they're taken in real time. I just used FRAPs instead of the photomode button so there's no extra processing or watermark.

44030618314_ceea168211_k.jpg

42939617460_2f9c3d5a58_k.jpg

30878766778_3c30a2919d_k.jpg

44030623454_97b3ee2ba2_k.jpg

30878767978_74a1d489f6_k.jpg

Here's a few drone shots. The landscape has a surprising amount of details.
29812627447_86f822865e_k.jpg

30878755118_9dcc44a5cf_k.jpg

29812628647_fddc61092e_k.jpg

44030612624_bd6e2229a2_k.jpg

44030610194_6b414ced03_k.jpg

A few shots straight from gameplay
30878752088_ba6ed46ddb_k.jpg

29812621457_a2a2099c98_k.jpg

44030617314_5c7c532e8c_k.jpg

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
You're the one claiming it's impossible to catch a slide 😅😅😅

I am talking about how "simulation mode" makes EVERY TIRE compout similar to slicks in way that you can't catch slip because HOW HARD GRIP IS and when it slips your wheel movement doesn't matter because you lost huge amount of grip. There are some cars where you can catch it but we are talking here even normal tyres.

CARS DON'T BEHAVE LIKE THAT.
And it is not an opinion. It is FACT which is confirmed by shitload of people in racing sim community.

You have set the level what you consider a sim a lot lower.

No you just don't want to aknowledge that GTS is pretty high (thogh like i said not at the top). It is fine. We still have people claiming rFactor 1 sim model is better than some games.
Saying it is simcade is just wrong unless you go for things like damage model or something or lack of weather.

TBiddy

Some FH 4 screenshots. Game is super arcadey but a ton of fun. They really nailed the lighting and vegetation.

Here's a few photo mode shots but they're taken in real time. I just used FRAPs instead of the photomode button so there's no extra processing or watermark.

This is fucking impressive. Pardon my language.

Last edited:

Are you fn kiddin me???!!! This is @#$% unreal..pics look insane. 😍😲💪💯

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I am talking about how "simulation mode" makes EVERY TIRE compout similar to slicks in way that you can't catch slip because HOW HARD GRIP IS and when it slips your wheel movement doesn't matter because you lost huge amount of grip. There are some cars where you can catch it but we are talking here even normal tyres.

CARS DON'T BEHAVE LIKE THAT.
And it is not an opinion. It is FACT which is confirmed by shitload of people in racing sim community.

Fun fact, sim, normal and assisted steering have absolutely zero effect on the tyre simulation.

And again with this can't catch slip bullshit 😅😅😅

Try again.

I'm starting to realise you've never actually played Forza.

Last edited:

Magik85

congratulations to you for having found the ugliest area of the whole track in GTS ... but unfortunately for you PC2 looks uglier

Unlike many before here i was posting only gameplay pics. And no...its not ugliest area of the track. Majority of trees arround Brands Hatch are like that (reminds first rFactor). Its just that lighting during midday clearly shows poor assets. In your shot there are the same trees, just hidden in shade.
And its not like i compare worst moment in GTS with the best in PC2. The conditions are very similar (weather/TOD).
GTS has its moments. It was nice highs (thanks to lighting and shaders) and very poor lows. The quality of assets is not very good and i think it should be much better in game with everything static. The other game has real time time of day and weather changes, more cars on track, seasons, and much more advanced physics. Yet it still have better grass, textures or trees. And before you say that racing game isnt about trees...well in racing circuits most of the surroundings is foliage ;)

LostDonkey

Absolutely stunning screens. The lighting, textures, fidelity, detail, all far in advance of what we have seen so far. Its clear that this is a big step up now. Playground are the premier racing game developer for my money. Consistently hitting it out of the park from day one.

Its such a joy that it plays so well too. The best arcade racer available its a shame its exclusive to MS really. Everybody should get to play.

ShapeGSX

That's a "by the gods" post, if I've ever seen one. This game is unmatched, visually!

I didn't notice that different license plates were available (as in types of plates). That STI license plate looks like it is from the US.

Fun fact, sim, normal and assisted steering have absolutely zero effect on the tyre simulation.

And again with this can't catch slip bullshit 😅😅😅

Try again.

I'm starting to realise you've never actually played Forza.

"Nor I driven any type of vehicle in real life...like ever"..yours truly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom