• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Yep, it seems for some reason GTS blurs your HUD like in 1080p mode, but the rest look the same.

49461446638_9645b02677_o.png
Really weird a bug maybe, but whatever. Next time i will hide the hud, if the image itself is sharp and clear the hud doesn't bother me.

I still think Driveclub looks the best. The lighting is so realistic

Gc58Srt.gif
Driveclub lighting looks good most of the time but it doesn't have the dynamic range that GTS and Forza has. It looks like its taken with a old cellphone camera from 2011. Like in your gif, the cockpits are too dark in daylight and the detail gets lost in the shadows. But in motion with rain and dusky weather, its a looker thats for sure.

Oh man, you can clearly see its aged pretty badly, especially during the bright sunny days, it's barely held together by all that motion blur.
I7wZtBq.jpg

It all falls apart once you stop moving.
R7Uyanh.jpg
Again, all static shots with cherrypicked flat lighting... videos show how real gameplay is and feels in motion.

Going cherrypicking, even Forza Horizon 4 can look like ass, and it is not a 2014 base PS4 game...

This is PC Ultra 4K 8xMSAA:

b5X2A9o.jpg
I mean you both right and wrong. Driveclub has its moments where it looks amazing, but the detail and draw distance in gameplay puts it soo far behind Forza. If it got a decent pro patch it would had a chance, but in its current state its a bit lacking in core graphics. And your Forza shots doesn't look as bad as his DC shot, wich is to be expected of course from the difference in hardware and release date of the games. And that light bounce from the tree on the house looks nice in your picture. Even cherrypicked pictures the game shows its graphical power.

Still has the best sense of speed of all games. The more i see Driveclub, the more angry i get at Sony for not letting them make Driveclub 2. The improvements they could make in the second installment would make this game soo much better.
but it is representative or graphics on the game though so it aint a lie, at moments the game looks amazing and other it looks awful
True, Forza still looks good in flat lighting conditions. You can see alot details all the time. Its the most consistent of them all and the best looking.

FukuDaruma

I think all you've proven is that Forza's ass looks better than Driveclub's ass.

PC maxed with a 2080 is more powerful than a base PS4? what a shocker.

For all its faults like bad aliasing, some muddy textures, etc. Driveclub has the "excuse" of being a 2014 BASE PS4 title.

What's Forza Horizon 4's excuse to look like this in 2018 on a top PC with a top GPU that costs double than a PS4?

pixel shadows:
A4AIX1G.png

muddy low res flat materials/textures:
09wYc73.png

Bad/flat trees/branches:
a5yfPPw.png

Eyehurting Chromatic Aberration, flat textures without displacement:
MofjmO7.png

And this is not even the worst case scenario, this is one of the first "homes" with light and shadows, not just flat out heavy sun from behind to make it look horribly flat.

There's been plenty of FH4 screenshots here that make it look horrible:

42837242220_99997ce83klksc.png

iverdenai_forzahorizo64khy.png

iverdenai_forzahorizolajza.png

nurfle_forzahorizon4d51kd1.png

raven3280_forzahorizooyj5u.png

And I am not shitting on FH4, it is a great game that looks great too:

LD5TJnJ.jpg

What I am saying is that Cherrypicking/staging good or bad shots is easy. You can't "cherrypick" a full video of a full track representing real race gameplay. And Driveclub, a 2014 base PS4 game, still looks/feels pretty great at that:

Last edited:

Turk1993

For all its faults like bad aliasing, some muddy textures, etc. Driveclub has the "excuse" of being a 2014 BASE PS4 title.

What's Forza Horizon 4's excuse to look like this in 2018 in a top PC with a top tier GPU that cost double than a PS4?

pixel shadows:
A4AIX1G.png

09wYc73.png

Bad/flat trees/branches:
a5yfPPw.png

MofjmO7.png

And this is not even the worst case scenario, this is one of the first "homes" with light and shadows, not just flat out heavy sun from behind to make it look horribly flat.

Cherrypicking/staging good or bad shots is easy. You can't "cherrypick" a full video of a full track representing real race gameplay. And Driveclub, a base 2014 game, still looks/feels pretty great at that:

Mate those picture are from base xbox and pc on low quality and photomode edited, it was posted by soemone who is famous here for editing and using low end consoles (whe all now who he is). And you can disable the CA in Forza Horizon 4 and your shot looks like AF disabled. And those blocky shadows are coming from the trees far back, the shadows are actually not low quality its the tree lod wich is in the distance. And its no excuse that DC is running one base PS4, its not our fault you know. Its like me saying wel Forza horizon 1 looks better than all of them if it was running on Xbox Series X or if GT5 was running on PS5 it would looked better this and that. You can post all those base console shots and edited photomode pics, it still doesnt change the fact that Forza Horizon 4 is the better looking game. Even in your video you can see its shortcomings. Sure DC has some nice things like weather and sky boxes with good quality cars and decent scenery, but pure from graphical standpoint it doesn't come close to FH4.

JLB

Banned

What's Forza Horizon 4's excuse to look like this in 2018 on a top PC with a top GPU that costs double than a PS4?

pixel shadows:
A4AIX1G.png

09wYc73.png

Bad/flat trees/branches:
a5yfPPw.png

MofjmO7.png

And I am not shitting on FH4, it is a great game that looks great too:

LD5TJnJ.jpg

What I am saying is that Cherrypicking/staging good or bad shots is easy. You can't "cherrypick" a full video of a full track representing real race gameplay. And Driveclub, a 2014 base PS4 game, still looks/feels pretty great at that:

are you comparing a corridor game against a full free of movement arcade?
Forza Horizon 4 looks incredibly well, period. It has details that can be improved (like GTS has poor reflections, or track details are poor on PCars 2) but if you compare it to Driveclub... is just like comparing a PS1 game against a PS4 one.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Really weird a bug maybe, but whatever. Next time i will hide the hud, if the image itself is sharp and clear the hud doesn't bother me.

Driveclub lighting looks good most of the time but it doesn't have the dynamic range that GTS and Forza has. It looks like its taken with a old cellphone camera from 2011. Like in your gif, the cockpits are too dark in daylight and the detail gets lost in the shadows. But in motion with rain and dusky weather, its a looker thats for sure.

I mean you both right and wrong. Driveclub has its moments where it looks amazing, but the detail and draw distance in gameplay puts it soo far behind Forza. If it got a decent pro patch it would had a chance, but in its current state its a bit lacking in core graphics. And your Forza shots doesn't look as bad as his DC shot, wich is to be expected of course from the difference in hardware and release date of the games. And that light bounce from the tree on the house looks nice in your picture. Even cherrypicked pictures the game shows its graphical power.

Still has the best sense of speed of all games. The more i see Driveclub, the more angry i get at Sony for not letting them make Driveclub 2. The improvements they could make in the second installment would make this game soo much better.

True, Forza still looks good in flat lighting conditions. You can see alot details all the time. Its the most consistent of them all and the best looking.
I gotta disagree. Driveclub as an overall package graphically is the best IMO

Last edited:

carsar

On FH4 the reflections in cockpit view are only a series of sequential images printed on the bodywork, they do not even seem to be related to the surrounding environment

Way worse than gts reflections ,embarracing for a 30fps game

No, you're mixing things up. FH4 has realtime environment cubemaps, which render car reflections for each position on map. Reflections include most of objects(beside crowds or cars) in lower resolution and simplier geometry, which is stiil great result for open world racing. That shame GTS has even lower quality reflections of predictable environments and car positions.
Batrvo3.jpg

It has even reflections of a drone Yes, it is low res, but moving object.
AA6aVqK.jpg

And the worst things begin while you choose the hood view. Reflections resolution is lower then you can imagine,
U88j2YO.jpg

rFGnWmf.jpg

FH4 has high quality realtime reflections for all objects(include cars)
xdpsDiU.jpg

Butz

Banned
Again, all static shots with cherrypicked flat lighting... videos show how real gameplay is and feels in motion.

Going cherrypicking, even Forza Horizon 4 can look like ass, and it is not a 2014 base PS4 game...

b5X2A9o.jpg
The lighting in that shot looks way better than the ones in the Driveclub pics I posted.
You can't say the game looks phenomenal or is the best ever when it only looks good in certain lighting conditions aka dusk/sunset or when it's heavily raining.

Butz

Banned
I still think Driveclub looks the best overall. It might not be sharper than the others but it's the closest to real life
I gotta disagree. Driveclub as an overall package graphically is the best IMO

Sure is amazing, the game is trying all sorts of tricks to cover up those mediocre environmental assets. No shame in admitting it's starting to show its age.
847c3b12da26d1e5fd43c07c64c7af7a.jpg

Last edited:

rashbeep

Banned

b5X2A9o.jpg

lol that still looks pretty good considering any other racing game you would try that with would fall apart

ethomaz

Banned
It's YouTube compression it looks even better on my TV
Yeap I watched others videos and the quality is way better.

I'm referring to the nuke that just exploded in the distance, or is that supposed to look good?
7bad40b81a8ea48a19ea5f2f1fffc019.jpg
I don't know maybe it is to simulate the sun getting directly in your eyes.
But I just asked because the picture looks really bad in terms of IQ like the video has low bitrate.
I played DriveClub in 2014/2015 so I did not remember very well.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned

But I just asked because the picture looks really bad in terms of IQ like the video has low bitrate.
I played DriveClub in 2014/2015 so I did not remember very well.
It's just an overly exaggerated BLOOM effect.
rUCzSAf.jpg

Hobbygaming

Yeah this one is much better but I'm sure it has been posted already

FukuDaruma

Mate those picture are from base xbox and pc on low quality and photomode edited, it was posted by soemone who is famous here for editing and using low end consoles (whe all now who he is)

Really? don't know about that...

Even if they are from a base xbox, it would be a more fair comparision to a base PS4 game than to a top PC one. Aaaand... we're back to the hardware discussion. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Which then can be resumed in "Forza is the best because it's on PC, but when it's not on PC it's not the best..."

your shot looks like AF disabled.

Well, of course not man. Here you can see another shot (the right window view) from the exact same spot the same day:

49465267687_e3ebc57544_o.png

Some textures just look like that, and some look better.

And those blocky shadows are coming from the trees far back,

Yes, of course. Not saying all the shadows are that bad all the time everywhere. It is just sometimes in the game you just encounter this shit and have to swallow it for what it is. There's no way around it even with the most powerfull PC.

the fact that Forza Horizon 4 is the better looking game.

That's your opinion, a fact would be its PC version has higher resolution, LOD, framerate, ... whatever. But any other person could be appreciating lighting/weather/... above all that, and FACTOR IN the hardware differences.

I like Forzas, but I can't help falling more in love for DC and GTS lighting and materials. Not a fact either, just personal opinion. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Really? don't know about that...

Even if they are from a base xbox, it would be a more fair comparision to a base PS4 game than to a top PC one. Aaaand... we're back to the hardware discussion. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Which then can be resumed in "Forza is the best because it's on PC, but when it's not on PC it's not the best..."

Well, of course not man. Here you can see another shot (the right window view) from the exact same spot the same day:

49465267687_e3ebc57544_o.png

Some textures just look like that, and some look better.

Yes, of course. Not saying all the shadows are that bad all the time everywhere. It is just sometimes in the game you just encounter this shit and have to swallow it for what it is. There's no way around it even with the most powerfull PC.

That's your opinion, a fact would be its PC version has higher resolution, LOD, framerate, ... whatever. But any other person could be appreciating lighting/weather/... above all that, and FACTOR IN the hardware differences.

I like Forzas, but I can't help falling more in love for DC and GTS lighting and materials. Not a fact either, just personal opinion. :messenger_winking_tongue:
The lighting on those trees is just so much better than anything in GTS or DC.
GTS is another example of a game that only looks good during certain time of days, that's why people prefer to use the photomode which uses RL images.
LmJhYJj.jpg

scalman

outside track details ... plz , who can see those when you racing at high speed and you in cockpit... tell me who will stop and look and trees outside track? stupid idea that doesnt matter for racing game at all... like zero meaning. for AC game or GTA sure thats matter or for open world racing like Horizon. its amazing detailed all world, not just one track .

Butz

Banned
Keep it up.

HaJcmkV.png
Hey man, you're the one who went off the tracks to look at a part of the map you're unlikely to ever drive through, while I'm simply posting pictures of the tracks themselves, not some hidden detail you'd have to actually look for. It's exactly what you see when you play the game.
And that's also the funny thing, you only have those tracks in GTS and DC yet you're still able to see how bad they look when the time of day and weather effects aren't optimal ;) meanwhile FH is an open world game.

And showing the games when they aren't at their best is not cherrypicking, showing only the best parts is cherrypicking.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Hey man, you're the one who went off the tracks to look at a part of the map you're unlikely to ever drive through,

So unlikely that it's your fucking home in the game, so you see it every time until you buy and make default a different one.

while I'm simply posting pictures of the tracks themselves, not some hidden detail you'd have to actually look for. It's exactly what you see when you play the game.
And that's also the funny thing, you only have those tracks in GTS and DC yet you're still able to see how bad they look when the time of day and weather effects aren't optimal ;) meanwhile FH is an open world game.

So the "excuse" for FH4 is being "an open world game"... but no problem comparing its fucking top PC version (FH4 on XB1X is 30fps or 1080p) to a 2014 base PS4 game...

And showing the games when they aren't at their best is not cherrypicking, showing only the best parts is cherrypicking.

BOTH are cherrypicking, that's the point. NONE of them are really representative of the gameplay experience, they can be easily staged to misrepresent the game according to your intentions.

But I guess it's better to not acknowledge any videos of real gameplay and keep cherrypicking static shots. Or do screenshots of the videos and then picking them apart, or whatever instead of acknowledging the real in motion representation of the gameplay.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
So unlikely that it's your fucking home in the game, so you see it every time until you make default a new one.

So the "excuse" for FH4 is being "an open world game"... but no problem comparing its fucking top PC version (FH4 on XB1X is 4K30fps) to a 2014 base PS4 game...

BOTH are cherrypicking, that's the point. NONE of them are really representative of the gameplay experience, they can be easily staged to misrepresent the game according to your intentions.

But I guess it's better to not acknowledge any videos of real gameplay and keep cherrypicking at static shots. Or do screenshots of the videos and then picking them apart, or whatever instead of acknowledging the real in motion representation of the gameplay.

[/QUOTE]

That overcast doesn't even look better than FM7s overcast at this point.

Literally all DC still has are the fancy raindrop particles, for the price of 30fps less.

Butz

Banned
3 years later, FM7 on much better hardware still looked a lot more flat and with worse effects...

I am aware of FM7s limitations, but you are completely ignoring that this is a game that runs at 60FPS on the fucking base Xbox One which is already weaker than the PS4.
Plus, I'm talking about the overcast weather conditions and overall lighting during said overcast. which, in the video I posted, looks much better than the one in your DC video.

You are literally delusional if you think DC still looks impressive in any way and it's showing in the screenshots where the screen isn't covered up in an excessive amount of motion blur.
But keep posting your 4k60 videos of a 1080p30 game, you aren't fooling anyone but the other guys with their Sonybias here.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I am aware of FM7s limitations, but you are completely ignoring that this is a game that runs at 60FPS on the fucking base Xbox One which is already weaker than the PS4.
Plus, I'm talking about the overcast weather conditions and overall lighting during said overcast. which, in the video I posted, looks much better than the one in your DC video.

You are literally delusional if you think DC still looks impressive in any way and it's showing in the screenshots where the screen isn't covered up in an excessive amount of motion blur.
But keep posting your 4k60 videos of a 1080p30 game, you aren't fooling anyone but the other guys with their Sonybias here.
Did you see this one? It's the best looking racing game this generation. Jump to 1:19 in the video

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Then post that version instead of the XB1 X one, which is hardware more powerful than even a PS4 Pro, let alone a base one.

GY4YPwS.png

But I guess Forzas are not that great when not running on better hardware than the competition...

Of course not. That video has great resolution and reflections, but lighting, ambient, effects... definitely not. All cars and the track look a lot more flat and less realistic than Driveclub's overall.

Youtube 4K doesn't improve the source making the original material magically that resolution, it just allows bigger bitrate so it looks more like the real game.
Driveclub still looks impressive a lot of the time, when you are playing it instead of cherrypicking its worst possible conditions on static shots with the intention of shitting on it.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
It doesn't especially not in motion
Yes it does.
There's a lot of WTF moments in that video...

U0sxFzv.png
Especially those ground textures..

Then post that version instead of the XB1 X one, which is hardware more powerful than even a PS4 Pro, let alone a base one.

GY4YPwS.png

But I guess Forzas are not that great when not running on better hardware than the competition...

Of course not. That video has great resolution and reflections, but lighting, ambient, effects... definitely not. All cars and the track look a lot more flat and less realistic than Driveclub's overall.

Youtube 4K doesn't improve the source making the original material magically that resolution, it just allows bigger bitrate so it looks more like the real game.
Driveclub still looks impressive a lot of the time, when you are playing it instead of cherrypicking its worst possible conditions on static shots with the intention of shitting on it.

You are so incredibly tech illiterate and have no idea what "flat" means, the lighting in that FM7 is a lot more realistic and dark, as it should since it's overcast weather, rainy and foggy.
The reason why it might appear less impressive is because it's an actual race track with not a lot of vegetation going on unlike those fantasy tracks from DC.

FukuDaruma

I don't understand. Why wouldn't you want to present the best that a game can present?

You would if you read:

It's not his fault that Sony hates you and left you high and dry without a PS4 Pro port of Driveclub.

What would forza Fanboys do then? keep posting $2000 PC cherrypicked shots from a 4 newer game trying to compete? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
You would if you read:

What would forza Fanboys do then? keep posting $2000 PC cherrypicked shots from a 4 older game trying to compete? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There's no trying, DC has been surpassed and since DC is all you have (lol) you cling to that no matter what.
It looked good 5 years ago, now you see its age in a lot of places.

Hobbygaming

Yes it does.

Especially those ground textures..

You are so incredibly tech illiterate and have no idea what "flat" means, the lighting in that FM7 is a lot more realistic and dark, as it should since it's overcast weather, rainy and foggy.
The reason why it might appear less impressive is because it's an actual race track with not a lot of vegetation going on unlike those fantasy tracks from DC.
Driveclub definitely has the better lighting. Banderas approves too lol

Q8Tisrm.gif

Last edited:

Turk1993

You would if you read:

What would forza Fanboys do then? keep posting $2000 PC cherrypicked shots from a 4 older game trying to compete? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You are ok to compare 1.3tf vs 1.8tf console but when Forza runs on stronger hardware it suddenly becomes a problem. Also this is a thread about the best version of the game not the most inferior one. Its like me saying PGR4 is the best looking game ever because its running on a 354gflop console vs Driveclub on a 1.8tf console. It doesn't make sense, whe didn't stop sony for porting it on pro or whe didn't stop sony on releasing it on pc. They limitated them self, and they choose those effect over the other thing they sacrificed.

Vtecomega

Banned
There's no game on the planet that looks as good as Forza Horizon 4. Its absolutely staggering how insane it looks on my x. Not to say its perfect but its still a generation ahead of pretty much everything out there in terms of lighting, textures, environments.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You are ok to compare 1.3tf vs 1.8tf console but when Forza runs on stronger hardware it suddenly becomes a problem. Also this is a thread about the best version of the game not the most inferior one. Its like me saying PGR4 is the best looking game ever because its running on a 354gflop console vs Driveclub on a 1.8tf console. It doesn't make sense, whe didn't stop sony for porting it on pro or whe didn't stop sony on releasing it on pc. They limitated them self, and they choose those effect over the other thing they sacrificed.
And don't forget the rule of you can't count pictures of GTS moving cause it makes it look blurry and Driveclub has to be moving else the blur doesn't kick in to hide how awful it looks.

FukuDaruma

There's no trying, DC has been surpassed and since DC is all you have (lol) you cling to that no matter what.

For some people, there's more than just "defend what you have". You would know if you had been reading this thread:

I've been posting captures and videos from many different games in this thread, but there is still that pretentious "you don't have the top hard and you are missing out" non argument coming back...

As I stated many times already, yes, I did/do play 4K60 games all the time. Just GT Sport on PS4 Pro, a LOT more on PC.

Here is Forza Horizon 4 in 4K60 maxed out, even with forced Transparency Supersampling:

49374314398_47acde261c_o.png

Here is 4K60 maxed out Forza Motorsport 7. Not even "missing out" stereoscopic 3D. Aren't you?

49017090587_2be96929ce_o.png

49016368618_12f6bdc2a5_o.png

I use an Epson 4K HDR 3D projector with a 106" screen and a Playseat with a mounted Fanatec wheel since many years ago. Been playing Pcars 1 and 2, AC, Dirt Rally 1 and 2 and even more arcade games like NFS, old Dirts, Race Driver GRID,GRID 2, GRID Autosport, GRID... so no, I don't think I am "missing out" anything.

In fact, I think most people are missing out how amazing these games play in 3D with a proper setup.

"lol"

But whatever, mate. You like Forzas better, that's ok. For me, both Driveclub and GTS have moments in motion where they look totally photorealistic. Forzas can look "amazing", but besides some good selected shots (like the ones you just posted) they never have been able to look totally photorealistic to me during gameplay.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Here's a good comparison of the difference in lighting that FukuDaruma pointed out. Driveclub looks more true to life

FM7 has an actual racetrack while DC is a random forest or whatever.
FM7 also runs at twice the framerate and is going for visibility unlike DC where the raindrops are covering almost the entire screen as you can even see in the thumbnail.

Hobbygaming

For some people, there's more than just "defend what you have". You would know if you had been reading this thread:

"lol"

But whatever, mate. You like Forzas better, that's ok. For me, both Driveclub and GTS have moments in motion where they look totally photorealistic. Forzas can look "amazing", but besides some good selected shots (like the ones you just posted) they never have been able to look totally photorealistic to me during gameplay.
This is exactly how I view the visuals of the games. Forza can look realistic at times but not as consistent as the others we're comparing

Hobbygaming

FM7 has an actual racetrack while DC is a random forest or whatever.
FM7 also runs at twice the framerate and is going for visibility unlike DC where the raindrops are covering almost the entire screen as you can even see in the thumbnail.
That rain effect adds to the immersion it honestly looks like you're really driving in the rain

Turk1993

And don't forget the rule of you can't count pictures of GTS moving cause it makes it look blurry and Driveclub has to be moving else the blur doesn't kick in to hide how awful it looks.
Yeah whe always have to do something to make those games look better, meanwhile i just snap what i see in Forza standing moving doesn't mather. Also just look at this if you wahnt video's, there is no game that can come close to this. It has everything, from 4 seasons to affroad to city to night day foggy sea beach forrest everything. It covers everything, and they are all high quality.

Top Bottom