• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ethomaz

Banned
Is that for VR to succeed in this area they need to make the full game playable rather than a Demo as you say
VR already succeed... they have good sales and good games.
GTS was not created to be a VR game.
Most of games doesn't have VR.
PD did a demo/bonus with that non-planned mode.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
VR already succeed... they have good sales and good games.
GTS was not created to be a VR game.
Most of games doesn't have VR.
PD did a demo/bonus with that non-planned mode.
Not great sales of VR considering the install base of PS4. Anyway back on topic, I enjoy Gran Turismo VR but it could of been better. Here’s hoping for next gen

JMarcell

Flight Simulator 2020 PC at Max Settings give us an idea of how good looking the nextgen (PS5 and XSX) will be. And it will be released for Xbox eventually.

SLB1904

Banned
You are not crazy, Forza Horizon 4 is the best looking racing game this gen.
Forza horizon has terrible car models. I play on xtreme settings on pc. And you can see the polygons. The grass pop in is distracting as hell.

GtS you have to play on a 4k tv with hdr.
Evrytime i connect to my 1440p monitor playstation goes nuts and looks kinda bad tbh. Jaggies everywhere even tho it says downsample activated.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Forza horizon has terrible car models. I play on xtreme settings on pc. And you can see the polygons. The grass pop in is distracting as hell.

GtS you have to play on a 4k tv with hdr.
Evrytime i connect to my 1440p monitor playstation goes nuts and looks kinda bad tbh. Jaggies everywhere even tho it says downsample activated.
Lol man not sure if you are serious. You can see the polygons in Forza Horizon 4 wich has the highest quality car model in game right now, but can't see the polygons in GTS wich has the lowest quality lod in game. And you find grass poppin distracting while in GTS the trees and foliage are popping left and right. Atleast Forza is a open world game so its normal that there is poppin in a game where you can go anywhere, but GTS is a closed circuit racers that has more poppin and constantly switches lod for buildings and such from close distance. And i played both games on a 4k HDR tv.

SLB1904

Banned
Lol man not sure if you are serious. You can see the polygons in Forza Horizon 4 wich has the highest quality car model in game right now, but can't see the polygons in GTS wich has the lowest quality lod in game. And you find grass poppin distracting while in GTS the trees and foliage are popping left and right. Atleast Forza is a open world game so its normal that there is poppin in a game where you can go anywhere, but GTS is a closed circuit racers that has more poppin and constantly switches lod for buildings and such from close distance. And i played both games on a 4k HDR tv.
You full of shit and a lier.
Watch digital foundry forza 7 vs gts.
And the fact fh4 is open world should be obvious that wouldnt have the same quality models. You pulling shit out of ass

Go sleep bro

Every single car was modelled for this generation.
Forza is re using assets.

Last edited:

l2ounD

ZgTqnqM.png

lfGuTOS.jpg

Magik85

You full of shit and a lier(...)
Every single car was modelled for this generation.

Theres no need for insults.
And Turk1993 is right. Car models in GTS are often lacking in polycount and textures. Not onlly compared to Forza but also some other third party games like Project Cars 2.
Which is a bit weird because i remember GT Prologue (PS3) having high LOD, round models.
And now, on newer console i often see polygon edges.
Heres good example of it.

granturismosport_2018dks59.png

projectcars2_20180319zjs53.png

granturismosport_2018x7snn.png

projectcars2_201803195rs65.png

granturismosport_2018h9s25.png

projectcars2_20180319ngsua.png

ShapeGSX

Theres no need for insults.
And Turk1993 is right. Car models in GTS are often lacking in polycount and textures. Not onlly compared to Forza but also some other third party games like Project Cars 2.
Which is a bit weird because i remember GT Prologue (PS3) having high LOD, round models.
And now, on newer console i often see polygon edges.
Heres good example of it.

granturismosport_2018dks59.png

granturismosport_2018x7snn.png

I'm concerned about the bead of that tire sealing properly against that jagged rim. Better have TPMS.

l2ounD

Z55ZWQo.png

GTS has higher lod models available for their cars that they can build off of for next gen. I'm curious if Forza has any higher quality lods to work with. Since they have plenty of more older modeled cars from previous games that they have not updated and are looking pretty rough for current gen.

ERY6s5z.png

Will they still use these type of models for next gen?

Last edited:

Magik85

Most of, if not every racing game developer has higher LOD model to work with.
When car model is built, they usually start from super detailed and later they reduce details to fit it in their polycount budget.
Sometimes they get CAD models (made of as much as 1 milion polys) from car manufactures.

l2ounD

Most of, if not every racing game developer has higher LOD model to work with.
When car model is built, they usually start from super detailed and later they reduce details to fit it in their polycount budget.
Sometimes they get CAD models (made of as much as 1 milion polys) from car manufactures.

Maybe for a car or two that can be true and maybe for the newer cars its more likely. But I'd say a majority gets built without.
GTS can get it wrong though they do update a few of them through their patches. But especially with Forza since they move alot of older models through their games. Some proportions that are funky still get used repeatedly.

Last edited:

Magik85

But especially with Forza since they move alot of older models through their games. Some proportions that are funky still get used repeatedly.
Yes i agree. And ironicly thats because of what i wrote in first half of my post.
They allready have those models on higher LODs than needed.
So they dont build new ones. Just update some shaders/textures and they are next gen ready.
If they dont have to rebuild it from scratch, the same flaws will be repeated.

ShapeGSX

I'd totally play a cycling game if it had ragdoll physics for crashes.
Unfortunately, the only crash is your blood sugar. You need to ride a real bike to use Zwift. :)

They have group racing and training events and training Plans. Or you can just ride in seven or eight different worlds. They even have Central Park in NYC. London. You can find anywhere up to 8000 people online at once riding in Zwift.

it makes riding indoors somewhat bearable.

Last edited:
Not even the same dash or trim level.

😂😂😂

Here the other version...On forza materials shaders are inexistent and are missing a ton of details.

real

dsc01177.jpg

Forza 🤣
z91h6tk4wbf41.png

I know it'hard to accept it but you have to,on forza most of the cars are innacurate or just recycled versions of old forza games.

The only thing that is keeping Forza afloat in this thread are the maxed out screenshots of forza fanboys ...

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Unfortunately, the only crash is your blood sugar. You need to ride a real bike to use Zwift. :)

They have group racing and training events and training Plans. Or you can just ride in seven or eight different worlds. They even have Central Park in NYC. London. You can find anywhere up to 8000 people online at once riding in Zwift.

it makes riding indoors somewhat bearable.

Riding a bicycle for hours leads to crushed testies, mingled testies leads to bad mood, bad mood means bad temper, bad temper leads to world war 3. No good.

Swimming is far better and stupidly cheaper, and testies get streamlined and not twisted*.

^^

LostDonkey

Here the other version...On forza materials shaders are inexistent and are missing a ton of details.

real

dsc01177.jpg

Forza 🤣
z91h6tk4wbf41.png

I know it'hard to accept it but you have to,on forza most of the cars are innacurate or just recycled versions of old forza games.

The only thing that is keeping Forza afloat in this thread are the maxed out screenshots of forza fanboys ...

Right, right.... And absolutely nothing to do with the fact that GTSport had the exclusive rights to Toyota production cars.

😂 😂 😂

Forza 7 launched with no AE86 model at all so if it is even in the game now(i havent checked, but I dont recall ever seeing it) its probably an older model for the reason GTSport had exclusivity.

Last edited:
Right, right.... And absolutely nothing to do with the fact that GTSport had the exclusive rights to Toyota production cars.

😂 😂 😂

Forza 7 launched with no AE86 model at all so if it is even in the game now(i havent checked, but I dont recall ever seeing it) its probably an older model for the reason GTSport had exclusivity.
Exactly had...by the way nothing stops turn 10 or playground to pick up an AE86 and scan it,so yeah it has nothing to do with that...try and invent another excuse to cover the shitshow on forza games.And it's not only the AE86 in this pitiful state but many other cars that aren't toyotas

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned

real

dsc01177.jpg

Forza 🤣
z91h6tk4wbf41.png

Maybe I'm crazy, but this looks close enough to the real deal for me. I don't think you can look down far enough while ingame to even see that missing floor carpet texture detail. Just look out of the front window and enjoy the scenery :p

LostDonkey

Exactly had... by the way nothing stops turn 10 or playground to pick up an AE86 and scan it ,so yeah it has nothing to do with that...try and invent another excuse to cover the shitshow on forza games.And it's not only the AE86 in this pitiful state but many other cars that aren't toyotas

Oh except the fact GTSport had the exclusive license to model Toyota cars for the past however many years.

😂😂😂

Another idiot going on ignore.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Z55ZWQo.png

GTS has higher lod models available for their cars that they can build off of for next gen. I'm curious if Forza has any higher quality lods to work with. Since they have plenty of more older modeled cars from previous games that they have not updated and are looking pretty rough for current gen.

ERY6s5z.png

Will they still use these type of models for next gen?

real

dsc01177.jpg

Forza 🤣
z91h6tk4wbf41.png

You find the worst model in Forza wich is stil high quality and features a interior and high quality exterior view. And you show the scape model there in GTS wich is 2 lods higher than whats been showing in gamepaly. In GTS there are still cars with no interiors. And you guys said the same thing when GT5 and 6 launched, that the cars where future proof, look what happend. They still use low quality lods in gameplay. The gameplay model is 2 lods lower than the one that they use in scape mode. And even with that interior the overal car model in game is still higher quality in Forza compared to GTS ( and this is with the lowest quality car that there is in the game)
49540881866_ae8d99ec2e_o.png

49540885251_e24b534a13_o.png

and if whe start comparing newer models like lambo's, Ferrari's, Benz's,.. then Forza just beats it completely interior inc. And there are still cars in GTS with no interior wich is the same as standard cars in GT6 wich where mostly PS2 cars as you said about Forza's model funny enough (even in GT6 they had cockpit even if they where just black). The amount of cars that in GTS doesn't have a cockpit is almost the same amount of cars that are a bit inaccurate in Forza. And thats with a car list with roughly 670~ vs 330~. And still they are higher quality in game in Forza because they use the photomode model wich GTS's in game model can't come close.

l2ounD

You find the worst model in Forza wich is stil high quality and features a interior and high quality exterior view. And you show the scape model there in GTS wich is 2 lods higher than whats been showing in gamepaly. In GTS there are still cars with no interiors. And you guys said the same thing when GT5 and 6 launched, that the cars where future proof, look what happend. They still use low quality lods in gameplay. The gameplay model is 2 lods lower than the one that they use in scape mode. And even with that interior the overal car model in game is still higher quality in Forza compared to GTS ( and this is with the lowest quality car that there is in the game)

and if whe start comparing newer models like lambo's, Ferrari's, Benz's,.. then Forza just beats it completely interior inc. And there are still cars in GTS with no interior wich is the same as standard cars in GT6 wich where mostly PS2 cars as you said about Forza's model funny enough (even in GT6 they had cockpit even if they where just black). The amount of cars that in GTS doesn't have a cockpit is almost the same amount of cars that are a bit inaccurate in Forza. And thats with a car list with roughly 670~ vs 330~. And still they are higher quality in game in Forza because they use the photomode model wich GTS's in game model can't come close.

Which model are you talking about? The miata or ae86? There are plenty of different car model I can pick. I just happen to love the miata since I have one and can see the quality difference quite clearly. And all I was showing was GTS has higher level lod models which you seem to agree with. And I dont think Forza has cause I've seen the same old models game after game. I would love for the Miata or others to be more fully modeled than GTs
And what GTS car thats not a vgt one off doesnt have an interior? I honestly dont know I dont have that many cars but I did see a vgt one without one. But a real car?
Are we talking about the same thing though, you think Forza interiors of the miata or 86 are better than these?

Or these, I mean when direct light hits the red of the interior you can see it play off the dash. You can even see the driver suit in the interior reflections.

Maybe I'm crazy, but this looks close enough to the real deal for me. I don't think you can look down far enough while ingame to even see that missing floor carpet texture detail. Just look out of the front window and enjoy the scenery :p

I think so, but I'm probably crazier. I dont think its enough, I'd like more detail everywhere. I would like to see as close of a replica as we can get. In photo mode / race mode whatever, let me see how far we can get in videogame graphics :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Turk1993

Which model are you talking about? The miata or ae86? There are plenty of different car model I can pick. I just happen to love the miata since I have one and can see the quality difference quite clearly. And all I was showing was GTS has higher level lod models which you seem to agree with. And I dont think Forza has cause I've seen the same old models game after game. I would love for the Miata or others to be more fully modeled than GTs
And what GTS car thats not a vgt one off doesnt have an interior? I honestly dont know I dont have that many cars but I did see a vgt one without one. But a real car?
Are we talking about the same thing though, you think Forza interiors of the miata or 86 are better than these?

Or these, I mean when direct light hits the red of the interior you can see it play off the dash. You can even see the driver suit in the interior reflections.

I think so, but I'm probably crazier. I dont think its enough, I'd like more detail everywhere. I would like to see as close of a replica as we can get. In photo mode / race mode whatever, let me see how far we can get in videogame graphics :messenger_beaming:

The miati or the 86 has better interior details in GTS than in Forza, but thats not always the case compared to other cars. But what im tryna say is that even if the interior is litlle more detailed in GTS, the overal car model in gameplay is still higher quality in Forza due the the lod difference and overal polygons. And i don't have any problems with the interiors in GTS, they are one of the best. I said the same thing a few pages ago about GTS interiors, and that it has the best shaders/ material work of all racing games. But a car model is not only about the interior, you need to see it as a whole. And yes the scape models are fantastic, infact one of the best. Its a good start for next gen but the same thing was said about GT6 models, and look how that panned out. But they have less work to do thats for sure, just need small adjustments and more detail in the brakes and it will be good. But the same goes for Forza, yes there are here in there small modeling errors, but man Forza 7 has over 800 and FH4 has over 670 cars. Thats more than GTS, PC2 and AC combined. ANd all of them are highly detailed outside a few (18 cars last time i checked on Forzacentral or Forzawiki) that where not 100% of the standards compared to other cars. Even then they where high quality and had interiors. And yes i was talking about the VGT (11 cars) cars that didn't have a interior, but the actual real life model do have a interior. And even if it didn't have a interior in real life, don't put the car in the game then with no interior. But i also hope that Turn 10 updates those cars, they started with 5 and each game till 7 updated some cars like the Subaru 22B wich got a update in Forza 6. And there are other ones also but can't remember them all. And those lighting effects are 👌:messenger_relieved:

49540881866_ae8d99ec2e_o.png

49540885251_e24b534a13_o.png

"the worst model in Forza wich is stil high quality"

To me that AE86 on fh4 seems like a ps2 model...probably we have different interpretations of high quality.

The only cars without an interior are some VGT cars,the rest are simply the best car models on the market.
As for lod,it's a trick that everyone uses in order to mantain the framerate stability on weaker hardware..yes on og xbox one also turn 10 uses it even for such a simple graphical game like forza 7 with shitty lighting,inexistent shaders,shitty trees,shitty crowd,shitty pysics,30fps reflections,baked shadows etc...

HqlrrVN.png

And the lod of cars on GT it is different depending on the camera view,for example in cocpit view lod is the same as photomode.

granturismosport_2018gyi0e.png

granturismosport_201828en4.png

As i said before forza on this thread is survivng only thanks to your maxed out pc shots otherwise this thread would have been closed after a few pages.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're crazy,but for sure you're a big forza fanboy...My god how can you say that this is close enought to the real thing :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:
Bunta, you come across as the biggest child on this forum. And by child I really mean wank. Non stop trashing of Forza, and anyone who likes it. Now you are seriously comparing FH4 models to PS2? Please exit the forum as quickly as you bumbled into it. You've just polluted this thread with drivel and shite.
Put me on ignore if you can't stand criticism on your favourite game...but since you're a little kid you have the urge to insult those that aren't of your same opinion.
If you haven't anything to say about the game instead of doing member war get your heels up and leave,thank's

Patrick S.

Banned
Put me on ignore if you can't stand criticism on your favourite game...but since you're a little kid you have the urge to insult those that aren't of your same opinion.
If you haven't anything to say about the game insteadd of doing member war get your heels up and leave,thank's

You feel insulted by someone calling you childish, but will gladly insult me, calling me a fanboy, for saying I'm ok with the detail level of a car model. That's rich.

Also, I have bought every Gran Turismo game day one. I've bought the official PlayStation analog controller day one to play GranTurismo. I've bought the OG DualShock controller day one to play Gran Turismo. In fact, I bought a PS3 to play Gran Turismo. Combined, the Gran Turismo franchise easily accounts for the most time and money I've ever spent playing on consoles. So, kindly take your Forza Fanboy accusations and shove them where the light don't shine.

Last edited:

Magik85

To me that AE86 on fh4 seems like a ps2 model...probably we have different interpretations of high quality.

Well since you brought it up and provided your own photo, lets compare them.
Apart of obvious IQ advantage, it looks like FH4s car is way more complex with fully modelled interior, in contrast to GTS having just a very low quality texture.
So if FH4 model looks like PS2 model....the one in GTS has to be about PS1 level ;)
screenshot174idknu.png

turkwvkl7.png

Well since you brought it up and provided your own photo, lets compare them.
Apart of obvious IQ advantage, it looks like FH4s car is way more complex with fully modelled interior, in contrast to GTS having just a very low quality texture.
So if FH4 model looks like PS2 model....the one in GTS has to be about PS1 level ;)
screenshot174idknu.png

turkwvkl7.png
Yeah sure....

GTS:
granturismosport_20208bke1.png

fh4:
z91h6tk4wbf41.png

As for external view,on one side you have a game that is running on 4 tf machine at 1800p 60fps ,it's obvious that some compromises have to be made to mantain stable framerates

Top Bottom