• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Photomode are different from Replay.
You said replay vs gameplay.

Photomode has additional camera filters, supersampling, lower LOD level, etc.

If the camera angle made it different for you in Replay vs Gameplay it is on you… technically they are the similar with FOV and motion blur.

I will post pics tomorrow if you wish but I remember you posting bullshots F7/FH4 from PC saying it was Xbox One X lol
Whatever he's posted before is irrelevant. You're a well known Playstation shill, but that doesn't mean your opinion is immediately moot.

Your claim about GTS being the best looking race game last gen is your personal opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just disagree personally for the same reasons that turk1993 posted images of. None of which are bullshots or cherry picked.

GT has bar none the best lighting, as well as the best replays. There isn't a racing game out there that can touch it in those specific features. But to pretend as if that excellence carries over to gameplay, environment, track detail, etc... is pretty daft.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Show me 1 in game screenshot of GT7 or GTS in 3d person view that looks more photorealistic than the screens above and can fool people that its real life. In photomode or drone mode i can also make it look photorealistic and no one will notice it that its from a game. Only time GT looked straight out photorealistic was in replay mode and scape mode. And how is FH5 cartoony looking when the devs literally captured the real sky and used photogrammetry and color scanning in different seasons to achieve the most true the life version of Mexico they experienced. They said that they handpicked the most amazing moments and crazy weather patterns that they captured. People really think that there are no colors in real life or that everything is lifeless.
Have you ever seen how colorfull a country like Mexico really is?
Look how much more colorfull real life can look in a country like Mexico
forza-horizon-5-vs-reality-comparison.jpg

fh5comparison.jpg

4YwVDPs.jpg

RevKZS4.jpg

m0WQAz3.jpg

9VDZbLi.jpg

And yes GT7 lighting is also super impressive and realistic looking, they nailed it as always. But that doesn't mean that the lighting in Forza is not realistic or cartoony looking.
Thats also not the best comparison, the FH5 shots look really low res there.

Catphish

Looking forward to GT7 as much as the next guy. I own pretty much every racing game in this space, be it full sim, simcade, even arcade. I have an annual iRacing subscription and full sim rig.

Having spent a lot of time in each game, no experience comes close to Assetto Corsa with mods. CSP and Sol alone change the game completely, and those mods are each made by one person. Freeroam tracks like Shutoko Revival Project, LA Canyons, etc. (there are lots) combined with traffic and online lobbies turn it into a completely different game. I've spent over 100 hours just cruising those tracks with people, not even racing. No need to talk about the actual racing, the physics and FFB are fantastic and there are many sites/leagues that have their own rating and ranking systems.

I have no doubt GT7 will be an incredible experience, but I'm not sure anything is going to come to close to what Assetto Corsa can provide. There's endless content available for it thanks to its supportive community.
I play a bit of ACC, and have always wanted to try a modded AC, which I also own (but never played), but feel overwhelmed because there’s so much content, and I’m a bit late to the party.

Can you make some suggestions for a first-timer to AC? I have a late-model PC, most (if not all) of the DLC, also have a sim rig, and use VR. If you could point me towards the best mods and how to install them, or a resource that does, I’d be very grateful.

FukuDaruma

I play a bit of ACC, and have always wanted to try a modded AC, which I also own (but never played), but feel overwhelmed because there’s so much content, and I’m a bit late to the party.

Can you make some suggestions for a first-timer to AC? I have a late-model PC, most (if not all) of the DLC, also have a sim rig, and use VR. If you could point me towards the best mods and how to install them, or a resource that does, I’d be very grateful.

This is a good compilation of mods with good installation instructions and a lot of links for cars and tracks: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ac-2020.30924/

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Photomode are different from Replay.
You said replay vs gameplay.

Photomode has additional camera filters, supersampling, lower LOD level, etc.

If the camera angle made it different for you in Replay vs Gameplay it is on you… technically they are the similar with FOV and motion blur.

I will post pics tomorrow if you wish but I remember you posting bullshots F7/FH4 from PC saying it was Xbox One X lol
Stop lying bruh, you are a grown man. I never said replay, i was literally comparing photomode vs gameplay as stated multiple times in my posts. I even time stamped the part where John was saying that photomode vs gameplay is the same. You pull that one out you're ass about the replays. And i never posted bullshots and claimed they where from Xbox One X, fuck off with that bullshit. I don't even own a xbox, always compared with PC, PS4 Pro or PS5. Its the same shit when you claimed that your GTS on base PS4 (1080p) looked better than my GTS on PS4 Pro (1800CB), you are just trippin again. And now you start the bullshit with replay camera angles if anybody uses gameplay camera's in replays. The standard replay camera's that everybody praise and use do enhance the graphics.
49503678258_35831b6ba8_o.png

49504187856_ccf427ae3b_o.png

Whatever he's posted before is irrelevant. You're a well known Playstation shill, but that doesn't mean your opinion is immediately moot.

Your claim about GTS being the best looking race game last gen is your personal opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just disagree personally for the same reasons that turk1993 posted images of. None of which are bullshots or cherry picked.

GT has bar none the best lighting, as well as the best replays. There isn't a racing game out there that can touch it in those specific features. But to pretend as if that excellence carries over to gameplay, environment, track detail, etc... is pretty daft.
He is lying as always and flip flopping that i was comparing replays lol. You can see my post that i was literally comparing photomode as John was stating in his video in the part where i time stamped it. I even put on every screenshot photomode or gameplay.

Utherellus

There is no excuse at all… GTS was the best looking racing game on consoles last gen… GT7 will probably be the best looking one this generation.

Except Forza Motorsport Reboot will be current-gen (while GT7 core design was held back by PS4), setting the new bar for physics complexity and raw graphical fidelity in racing sims, even on hardcore PC market, considering how outdated game engines they use.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

But then again, if the game never happened, what would they actually be able to mod. Would they actually be able to do a game like that on their very own?

In some cases like Ilja, yep. The first Assetto Corsa was largely programmed — “85 to 90 percent” — just by Stefano Castillo:

benzy

In some cases like Ilja, yep. The first Assetto Corsa was largely programmed — “85 to 90 percent” — just by Stefano Castillo:

Interesting they will build their own engine again for AC2 instead of using UE5.

Sebmugi

I guess in Gran Turismo 7 the camera options are still EXACTLY the same as GT Sport and there isn't still any proper dashboard camera or any options at all to remove virtual driver's hands and virtual wheel for players using a steering wheel...
I think not, even if it won't be a technical problem to be able to do it... it's a creator's choice I imagine.. :messenger_winking:

Sega Orphan

Banned
The difference is 9 years between this GT and the last one vs 3 years between FH4 & 5.

Forza is open world and is still one of the most beautiful games made, it has over a hundred more cars on launch. I’d personally say I value Forzas take on car culture over the monotone circuit racing of GT.

The fact that an open world game made in 3 years can be so closely compared to a game made over 9 years with less cars says a lot though and can’t be ignored.

That said, the next Motorsport will have had 4-5 years development time so I fully expect that to blow GT right out of the water.
Playground are the premier car studio at this time. What they have managed to do with Forza Horizon, which was just meant to be a fun side kick to Forza MS is outstanding. What they also manage to do in the space of time they do is even more astounding. As you said, 9 years between games of GT, vs 3 years on FH and on top of that there is more cars, more variation in environments and its as fun as shit to boot.
PD are good at the intricacies of the cars. They tend to have higher levels of detail in their cars and more life like shaders. Not by a big margin, but they do.
Let's see when Forza Motorsport comes out. I think Turn 10 have gone all out with this new engine, and it's going to take the graphics crown well and truly. Of course there will be the excuses that PD had to work on a last gen engine and their next gen only game will be better. Maybe so, but we will most likely have to wait for the PS6 to see it.

Playground are the premier car studio at this time. What they have managed to do with Forza Horizon, which was just meant to be a fun side kick to Forza MS is outstanding. What they also manage to do in the space of time they do is even more astounding. As you said, 9 years between games of GT, vs 3 years on FH and on top of that there is more cars, more variation in environments and its as fun as shit to boot.
PD are good at the intricacies of the cars. They tend to have higher levels of detail in their cars and more life like shaders. Not by a big margin, but they do.
Let's see when Forza Motorsport comes out. I think Turn 10 have gone all out with this new engine, and it's going to take the graphics crown well and truly. Of course there will be the excuses that PD had to work on a last gen engine and their next gen only game will be better. Maybe so, but we will most likely have to wait for the PS6 to see it.
If the next forza will look like in these few fotograms on Laguna Seca i don't think it will take any crown, the lighting looks horrible and so cartoony in that trailer

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How the heck do they have time to match all these real world locations? Is it 3D scanned or something?
I dont know if playground use photogrammetry, but it is certainly a possibility, but however they do ot they have some of the best artists in the industry.

Turk1993

I will do lots of comparisons between GT7/GTS/FM7/FH5/AC/ACC/PC2 in the coming days.
But meanwhile here are some GT7 gameplay shots from my PS5
All gameplay
Gran-Turismo-7-20220305233431.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220307172539.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220309005638.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220309005554.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305154118.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305154333.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220309014632.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220309005658.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305154422.png

There are some solid improvements overal like higher quality trees and foliage, higher quality lod car models (still not photomode lod), higher quality shadows, improved draw distance, high quality motion blur, improved reflections and some tracks got some of the ugly super low rez textures fixed (still can be found on some tracks). Its a solid upgrade overall compared to GTS, hard to notice on youtube video's but really easy to notice while playing. The lighting and car shaders look incredible and are easliy one of the best if not the best. I haven't played ACC on console so i cannot comment on that one yet but this is easliy the best looking racing sim on console! And the dynamic tod and weather look really good and add lots of variation.

Neo_game

Yes Grid Legends looks really good to me. I would like to know what resolution it is running on consoles. This is the way to go I think. It has good art style too not realistic but not too bad either. Though I would say GT7 replays and some PC sims replay are more impressive.

Turk1993

It looks really good and better than GTS, but there is clearly a difference between gameplay and photo mode.
Yeah overall really good looking and yes photomode looks much much better with all the effects and enhancements. The difference is even bigger than it was in GTS, the added RT reflections, added foliage, enhanced lighting, added self shadowing, better grass shaders, higher quality car models, better draw distance, better shadows and better image quality makes it really look better in every way. But gameplay still looks pretty solid and that 4K60 HDR is really nice.
Here some examples
Gameplay vs photomode
Gran-Turismo-7-20220305154118.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305155152.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305154312.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305155535.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305154422.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220305155757.png

you know you are in a technical thread right?
this isnt an opinion.

this is how rain looks in real life

That is about realism and GT7 is a way realer driving game than Grid but in terms of pure graphics Grid is more pleasing to the eye we talking graphics here not about how real sim it is ok

Top Bottom