• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Sorry guys, I love DC, but the gameplay doesn't look like in the Photomode. It doesn't look so different though, when things are in movement. But the photomode adds a much better IQ and LOD increase. But it's still the best looking racing game out there until today, so...

The LOD increase is barely noticable in direct comparisons of close up screenshots.
Nobody will be able to notice that during gameplay.

The image quality is the only notable difference and its really not as bad as it looks in some screenshots imo.
Game looks just as phenomenal in motion as it looks in photo mode shots.
There are racers with better IQ and higher framerate, but other than that Driveclub wins in every regard.

c0de

A game running on 2007 hardware with 512mb of RAM competes with games running on 2013 hardware with 8Gb of RAM, how is that not an accomplishment?

It certainly is but I also think that Forza is special when comparing as they seem to intentionally not make the game(s) look as close to real life as they could. They use different colors, different shaders for things and in general a different approach to racing graphics.
This doesn't mean that what PD achieved on PS3 isn't amazing but this also applies to Forza 3 and 4 on 360.

ShamePain

Banned
It certainly is but I also think that Forza is special when comparing as they seem to intentionally not make the game(s) look as close to real life as they could. They use different colors, different shaders for things and in general a different approach to racing graphics.
This doesn't mean that what PD achieved on PS3 isn't amazing but this also applies to Forza 3 and 4 on 360.

Well, I've heard multiple times from Dan Greenawalt, John Wendl and other guys from T10 in numerous interview that they're striving for realism just the same.
Also pure technical merits have nothing to do with chosen artstyle, dynamic lighting is more demanding/impressive than pre-baked lighting even if you game is toy story.

c0de

Well, I've heard multiple times from Dan Greenawalt, John Wendl and other guys from T10 in numerous interview that they're striving for realism just the same.

But certainly not in what they are rendering. I mean last gen we could've argued that 360 isn't capable of realistic shaders as GT is doing it. But Xbox One is easily capable of doing so and Project Cars shows that it is possible (as games on 360 showed that with the right shaders also could look more realistic). This looks more like a design decision than anything else. Not that it looks worse, in my opinion, just, well, different.

Also pure technical merits have nothing to do with chosen artstyle, dynamic lighting is more demanding/impressive than pre-baked lighting even if you game is toy story.

surely real time dynamic lighting is more demanding.

ShamePain

Banned
Destroying? How so? Explain.

GT4 - 1080i/60fps on a ps2 with fantastic graphics for the era.
GT6 - sub1080p/60fps on a ps3 with the best graphics in racers on lastgen and even competing with currentgen projects that run on much more powerful hardware.
Out of all currentgen racers only Driveclub shows a noticeable leap over lastgen, but even then it's essentially a launch title so I don't believe for a second that it's pushing PS4 to the max. I say we shall wait and see, but I'd be surprised if GT7 isn't head and shoulders above everything else out there.

A game running on 2007 hardware with 512mb of RAM competes with games running on 2013 hardware with 8Gb of RAM, how is that not an accomplishment?

Rose tinted glasses? Great looking game at the time but come on...

50207364028631344303972gran-turismo-5-prologue-20080229024822785.jpg

MouldyK

Geez, all these pics are awesome. O_O

And i'm just here playing Euro Truck Simulation 2's 1.17 Update and Scandanavia Expansion:

00000000000EDFEB.jpg

00000000000E9BE6.jpg

They've improved the Daylight Cycle Visuals enough for me to enjoy the relaxing drives even more.

I'm gonna be spoilt when I go back to Forza after playing this haha.

ShamePain

Banned
Heres some actual 1080p/60fps footage of Forza 5. Since they are games and not photos. Looks exactly like GT5 right?

http://youtu.be/yHdAmNwU-Ps

http://youtu.be/v_rjM5BrdNc

Yay, compressed youtube video that hides the fact that FM5 has no antialiasing and suffers from horrible jaggies.
Let's not forget that GT6 runs at a close resolution(in fact higher than most X1 games), same amount of cars on tracks, generally better in game lods, lighting system that is literally a generation ahead of FM5(which is practically the same as FM1-4), better smoke, comparable track detail, and so on. FM5 is a pretty tame upgrade from FM4, but I hope FM6 is the right one.

strata8

Yeah, PCars looks significantly better than FM5, overall it's remarkable because it has realtime lighting/weather, AA, AF while FM5 has none of these, also PC has3 times the amount of cars on tracks and better overall lighting, overall looking closer to GT, even if PD still outclasses everyone else in lighting realism.

Okay, but I mean...

900p/30-40 fps

vs,

1080p/60 fps

So I find it hard to be impressed with Project Cars on the XB1.

EGOMON

GT7 will for sure beat all current gen racers form technical to graphical aspects, it keeps happening every time a new GT comes out, people need just to remove the hate glasses and approach it rationally

Yay, compressed youtube video that hides the fact that FM5 has no antialiasing and suffers from horrible jaggies.
Let's not forget that GT6 runs at a close resolution(in fact higher than most X1 games), same amount of cars on tracks, generally better in game lods, lighting system that is literally a generation ahead of FM5(which is practically the same as FM1-4), better smoke, comparable track detail, and so on. FM5 is a pretty tame upgrade from FM4, but I hope FM6 is the right one.
I looked for the highest quality video. If you can find uncompressed footage go for it. I have my steering wheel right up on the TV and don't really notice jaggies.

The only way to play GT6 is 720p/60fps unless you are one of those graphics>framerate guys,

You can run super mario bros at 120k/500fps, does it mean it's more impressive?
Yes comparing a 30 year old game is totally rational when they were talking about 2 games on the same console.

strata8

You can run super mario bros at 120k/500fps, does it mean it's more impressive?

I didn't say Forza 5 was more impressive. It's just difficult for me to find Project Cars remarkable in comparison when it has to significantly compromise on framerate and resolution in order to realise its biggest advantages.

Forza Horizon 2 on the other hand? Far more impressive to me at a locked 1080p/30fps with amazing IQ than the 900p, horribly aliased, 60fps-but-not-really mess that is PCars XB1.

ShamePain

Banned
I dont think thats a valid reference.
Evolution put much more effort into graphocs for DC.

No evidence to support that claim, most of the people on the team involved in MS were also involved in DC. They pushed the graphics on ps3 very well, MS looked better than most multi platform racers, but PD is just beyond everyone else in terms of rendering tech. I don't see how it would change this generation all of sudden.

ShamePain

Banned
I didn't say Forza 5 was more impressive. It's just difficult for me to find Project Cars remarkable in comparison when it has to significantly compromise on framerate and resolution in order to realise its biggest advantages.

Forza Horizon 2 on the other hand? Far more impressive to me at a locked 1080p/30fps with amazing IQ than the 900p, horribly aliased, 60fps-but-not-really mess that is PCars XB1.

My point is that the performance observed can be explained, but perhaps SMS could've made some adjustments to improve framerate res. All I'm saying is there are things people forget when they say "Oh, Forza 5 ran at 1080p/60fps, why can't every other racer do the same". The graphics tech in Forza 5 is very primitive compared to DC/PC/GT/whatever, so it running at 1080p/60fps shouldn't be a surprise but an expectation based on the visuals present. If Forza 6 pushes night/weather at that res with locked 60 fps, then we can start throwing shit at other devs.

Stillmatic

I looked for the highest quality video. If you can find uncompressed footage go for it. I have my steering wheel right up on the TV and don't really notice jaggies.

The only way to play GT6 is 720p/60fps unless you are one of those graphics>framerate guys,

Yes comparing a 30 year old game is totally rational when they were talking about 2 games on the same console.

You can't notice jaggies in F5 which has no AA, but were dissapointed with DC because of jaggies, which has AA?

Drackhorn

It isn't even that bad, i could of got an image with the PS2 era cars, which were actually 80% of the cars in the game.
Gran_Turismo_5_h_ssliche_Standard_Autos__5_.jpg

It's a great looking game in parts but just like GT6 it's incredibly inconsistent.

It's true GT6 was very inconsistent. Where it shines it really shines though but it was held back by aging hardware.
Can't wait what they bring on current hardware though. I'm totally hooked with the GT courses like Deep Forest (my favourite), Grand Valley Speedway and Trial Mountain Circuit. They really have a divine flow.

c0de

My point is that the performance observed can be explained, but perhaps SMS could've made some adjustments to improve framerate res. All I'm saying is there are things people forget when they say "Oh, Forza 5 ran at 1080p/60fps, why can't every other racer do the same". The graphics tech in Forza 5 is very primitive compared to DC/PC/GT/whatever, so it running at 1080p/60fps shouldn't be a surprise but an expectation based on the visuals present. If Forza 6 pushes night/weather at that res with locked 60 fps, then we can start throwing shit at other devs.

There is no point in starting to throw shits at devs but be pleased with what they are giving us. None of us could do a better job than these guys so I hope nobody is going to do what you are implying.
I think we can be sure that every game mentioned in the last posts is made by devs who are pushing hardware really hard and do their best jobs to achieve what they want to achieve. And I think observing a game and inferring what is going on and how much time part x of the rendering pipeline costs is fun but we should consider devs are not idiots (mostly).

ShamePain

Banned
There is no point in starting to throw shits at devs but be pleased with what they are giving us. None of us could do a better job than these guys so I hope nobody is going to do what you are implying.
I think we can be sure that every game mentioned in the last posts is made by devs who are pushing hardware really hard and do their best jobs to achieve what they want to achieve. And I think observing a game and inferring what is going on and how much time part x of the rendering pipeline costs is fun but we should consider devs are not idiots (mostly).

Yeah, I'm not trying to diminish their efforts. None of them are perfect. GT has excellent graphics, but horrible sounds, ps2 cars/tracks, shitty career structure and other small things that annoy me. Forza has not so good graphics, but great sounds and the best car list which is why I love it, but I wish they've had night/weather by now because they improve replayability a ton. PCars has a lot of racing aspects nailed down, but doesn't quite scratch my itch for car variety, but on the other hand it plain embarrasses GT/FM with it's massive track list and all tracks having night/weather.
So at the end the best you can do is enjoy the best bits of all of them and pray that one day there will be a game that's perfect all around(which is probably never gonna happen).

Jamesways

Just another proof that GT7 will annihilate every other racer out there when it comes out.

Well, for a 2018 release, it certainly should look better than these racers now...

ZING!

As good as GT5 looked, I still think parts were inconsistent. I really don't get the talk that it's better looking than all the games on new hardware now. I don't agree with that at all. The shadows and AA alone are much better this gen.

Still saying if Forza 6 does not have Night-Time, then i'll be annoyed at that Boxart they showed, which kinda teases it.

Isn't the boxart just a Ford GT on a black background?

As good as GT5 looked, I still think parts were inconsistent. I really don't get the talk that it's better looking than all the games on new hardware now. I don't agree with that at all. The shadows and AA alone are much better this gen.

It definitely has elements that stand up well to other racers. Like its lighting engine and car modeling.

You can't notice jaggies in F5 which has no AA, but were dissapointed with DC because of jaggies, which has AA?

Well I got Forza 5 at launch, I picked up a PS4 not long ago and was expecting god tier graphics after the Driveclub threads on Neogaf. Looks great but was overall disappointed.

I guess it being 30fps also negatively impacted me. I can let alot slide at 60fps

Yeah, I'm not trying to diminish their efforts. None of them are perfect. GT has excellent graphics, but horrible sounds, ps2 cars/tracks, shitty career structure and other small things that annoy me. Forza has not so good graphics, but great sounds and the best car list which is why I love it, but I wish they've had night/weather by now because they improve replayability a ton. PCars has a lot of racing aspects nailed down, but doesn't quite scratch my itch for car variety, but on the other hand it plain embarrasses GT/FM with it's massive track list and all tracks having night/weather.
So at the end the best you can do is enjoy the best bits of all of them and pray that one day there will be a game that's perfect all around(which is probably never gonna happen).

I still think Polyphony nailed the career mode in the first GT. Getting licenses and slowly working your way up the classes. "Sim" racers are really lacking these days in terms of a career.

ShamePain

Banned
Yes, but the fuck you gonna include Black background and headlights if you ain't gonna put nighttime in. Everyone assumed from the Boxart they would.

Oh god, a black room
Forza-3-Box-Art.jpg

Boom, headlights
forza-motorsport-4-box-art-small.jpg

Guess night was included long ago, these box arts clearly say so.

Top Bottom