• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
ethomaz ethomaz .......You said this is a base PS4 pic below?

DLvoLkEXkAEohgo

Who's pic is this? I wish it had a hud and everything like GT does...…...

48974879938_8cf062893d_o.png
one pic is a fully lit day time shot with lots of overhead cables to make look like jaggies the other is dimly lit and nothing to compare the overhead cables to which is what is being pointed out

FukuDaruma

It is 60fps in cockpit view and performance mode on Pro.

I meant this gifs. That they were captured at 30fps.

No, the reality is this. People won't stop talking about Driveclub and comparing it to better looking games, and it's easy to put in its place and by modern standards it's really ugly in a lot of ways. There's other console racers available regardless of power tier that look better, it's shocking how that happens over time.

I don't understand your schtick, you're always complaining that people are presenting better looking games against inferior looking ones and then whining about "$500 console this" or "PC that"... Like isn't that the point here? Who is at fault for Driveclub not getting Pro support? That game will always be 1080p, we can't change that. So if someone is going to use it in an argument you can expect people to use effective methods to combat it.

We are talking about different things. When we talk about how good Driveclub looks, its not because its platform is bruteforcing the features to the max. You could say then that rFactor on PC at 8K120 is "better" because it has higher res and framerate, better AA, sharper shadows... but it's not. Despite the platform bruteforcing those features, it doesn't look "better". Same with Forzas, You take out the hardware advantages and they don't look any better, and even with the hardware advantages they don't look better a lot of the time in a lot of aspects.

Yes, Driveclub, a game from 2014, is 1080p30 and has bad AA. Forzas, 3-4 years newer games on higher hardware, have bad AA too even on the X in 4K, just plain horrible AA on the vanilla and S, and very noticeable shadows shimmering.
But we can look beyond resolutions and AA. Driveclub's engine lighting model, same as GT Sport's and despite having a tonemapping a bit too strong, is able to hit more realistic heights than Forzas.

Agree with you on all that, I think that driveclub comes up a lot is because it does do rain realy well, other than that it’s a bit meh. It’s funny how all drive club videos are featuring weather and not just a standard sunny day
Exactly. Game looks avg without rain and reflections.

"Meh" "avg" my ass. Rain looks specially good, but it is far from the only thing that looks good in the game. I just posted several HQ videos with very sunny weather conditions that evolve over time. But you prefer to ignore them and keep parroting the same "it only looks good in the dark and with rain" and "people don't post videos without rain" mantras.

Also, considering this game is a closed circuit game at 30 fps and a delayed gimped online, it's not even an apples to apples comparison vs. an open world game like Forza Horizon with MP and AI at 60 fps.

As stated earlier, Forza Horizon is only 60 in one of the X modes with limited graphics options, in all the rest is 30fps too... 4 years later.

I'm really sorry guys, but there's nothing else quite like Forza Horizon 3 on the market. 4 can be impressive too, but 3 still has the crown.

Photo mode pics covered in motion blur and DoF? come on... Forza Horizon 3 gameplay has the same aliasing and shimmering shadows problem.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

We are talking about different things. When we talk about how good Driveclub looks, its not because its platform is bruteforcing the features to the max. You could say then that rFactor on PC at 8K120 is "better" because it has higher res and framerate, better AA, sharper shadows... but it's not. Despite the platform bruteforcing those features, it doesn't look "better". Same with Forzas, You take out the hardware advantages and they don't look any better, and even with the hardware advantages they don't look better a lot of the time in a lot of aspects.

Yes, Driveclub, a game from 2014, is 1080p30 and has bad AA. Forzas, 3-4 years newer games on higher hardware, have bad AA too even on the X in 4K, just plain horrible AA on the vanilla and S, and very noticeable shadows shimmering.
But we can look beyond resolutions and AA. Driveclub's engine lighting model, same as GT Sport's and despite having a tonemapping a bit too strong, is able to hit more realistic heights than Forzas.

"Meh" "avg" my ass. Rain looks specially good, but it is far from the only thing that looks good in the game. I just posted several HQ videos with very sunny weather conditions that evolve over time. But you prefer to ignore them and keep parroting the same "it only looks good in the dark and with rain" and "people don't post videos without rain" mantras.

As stated earlier, Forza Horizon is only 60 in one of the X modes with limited graphics options, in all the rest is 30fps too... 4 years later.

Photo mode pics covered in motion blur and DoF? come on... Forza Horizon 3 gameplay has the same aliasing and shimmering shadows problem.

You are the one thats ignoring everything, Forza Horizon 4 runs 4K 60fps on my pc. And you are still talking about FH3 wich shows exactly why you are ignoring FH4. Also the video's you post are nothing special, the sunny condions looks more gamey than FH4, it only start to look good when its raining. And the trees don't even load the proper lod look how bad it looks without rain, directly captured from your video in 4K
bFtUA7Z.png

V6J65qa.png

gJFJDjD.png

XMIhYqu.png

zjqiAQa.png

scalman

am i alone here that looks just to nice visuals in screens and i dont care for that game because gameplay was not good enough. so all pretty good looking stuff just dont work for me at all. no matter how good Driveclub looked i never liked it .

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 Amateur.
Patch 1.34.
Take from PS4 in PNG, send via message and opened JPEG in PC web Message App.
In motion.
I don't have the first pic anymore in my PS4 (I do have it on twitter) so I tried to chose the same race (but got the wrong layout) and I have too many cars and fast looking I could not find the car in the first pic... I will look more late... I got the right TOD.

bIdwRYS.jpg

PS. My wife is with my USB pendrive... tonight I will post PNG with it.... The level of aliasing is the same as my first pic here but maybe you will say it is the compression again lol

Last edited:

We're saying Driveclub looks worse because it looks worse, bar the weather (in some regards) and lighting. The textures are worse, the AF is worse, the AA is worse, the resolution is worse, the geometry is worse, the level of surface detail is worse.

We don't have it out for this game, it's just not all it's cracked up to be and under scrutiny has a lot of glaring flaws. It doesn't hold up incredibly well in 2019, Forza Horizon 2 which released in the same timeframe doesn't either.

The only Forza games which have "bad" AA are in the Motorsport series because it runs at 60 FPS. They use a variant of AA known as EQAA which is AMD's brand specific 'take' on MSAA, it's serviceable. AA is a very GPU costly post rendering feature so 60 FPS titles not having something better isn't shocking. The Horizon series has class leading AA, it's running 4x MSAA which very, very few games on consoles have because it's extremely demanding but also incredible effective. In terms of cleanliness the Horizon games have the cleanest IQ of any racing games basically period.

Where Forza 7 gets a break that other games don't and doesn't need such aggressive AA is in relation to its resolution, being native 4K goes a long way to clean up stair-stepping and aliasing. Does it have aliasing? Yes, does it have aliasing attune to Gran Turismo Sport or Driveclub? No, they're not even in the same area code in terms of what aliasing is worse and where.

Think of this like a graph of the level of aliasing in these games.

Forza Horizon 3/4

[\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\]

Forza Motorsport 7

Gran Turismo Sport

Driveclub

• Forza Horizon games have excellent AA coupled with high resolution so aliasing is extremely minimal.
  • Forza Motorsport 7 has an 'ok' AA implementation but is largely saved by having such a high rendering resolution, it still has aliasing but it's quite minimal relatively speaking.
  • Gran Turismo Sport has some form of TAA but it doesn't work great, couple that with checkerboard rendering which amounts to basically 2/3 native resolution after the fact and you end up with a pronounced amount of scene aliasing.
  • Driveclub has a pitiful AA solution if any at all, FXAA at the very most, couple this with a fixed resolution of 1080p and you end up with aggressive and large form stair-stepping everywhere.

PS4 Amateur.
Patch 1.34.
In motion.
I don't have the first pic anymore in my PS4 (I do have it on twitter) so I tried to chose the same race (but got the wrong layout) and I have too many cars and fast looking I could not find the car in the first pic... I will look more late.

bIdwRYS.jpg

PS. My wife is with my USB pendrive... tonight I will post PNG with it.... The level of aliasing is the same as my first pic here but maybe you will say it is the compression again lol
POST IMAGES WITH PROPER SCENE LIGHTING SO WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
POST IMAGES WITH PROPER SCENE LIGHTING SO WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE
You are unbelievable with your lies lol

I can spot all aliasing in the pic I posted and it is way lower than the pics you posted.

And you bar graph is so fake... GTS has less aliasing than Forza 7.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And most of the scene is shrouded in darkness, post something in the middle of the day or I will.
That makes no difference for aliasing lol
But hey I will do to show your lies again.
You asked in motion I give you in motion lol now you want looking to the sun let't do it.

Last edited:

Gingen

Banned
Here straight out of my Pro in 4K
45749316922_22b634795a_o.png

Remember that the GT haters like the one above use a disonest trick to disable the anti-aliasing in GTS to produce bad screenshots purposely. Essentially when the car is stopped the game disable the AA, in motion (the normal condition in a racing game) the AA is active.

Do you remember this pic?

123o2jcz.png

Above - Car at 0 km/h
Below - Car in motion (the normal condition when you play)

Try to talk whit this kind of GT haters is only a waste of time

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
Here you go.

PS4 Amateur.
Patch 1.34.
In motion.
10am sun.

zztwWff.jpg

mc6AThL.jpg

66Bx56b.jpg

Dnow3SA.jpg

PS. Most funny part is that the AA is the same in all the pics I posted lol better aliasing than the Forza 7 pics posted.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

You are the one thats ignoring everything, Forza Horizon 4 runs 4K 60fps on my pc. And you are still talking about FH3 wich shows exactly why you are ignoring FH4.

Same here with a 2080s, but even at 4K and with the "long" motion blur option, aliasing (specially in trees) and shimmering (specially in shadows) are very noticeable and annoying. And so is LoD pop-in. But the thing with Forzas is, despite them looking very good most of the time, they never hit those "wow, this looks photorealistic" moments Driveclub and GT Sport do.

Regarding FH3, I was answering the guy that was saying FH3 is the best one, I've been referring to FH4 plenty on this thread, pal.

Also the video's you post are nothing special, the sunny condions looks more gamey than FH4, it only start to look good when its raining. And the trees don't even load the proper lod look how bad it looks without rain, directly captured from your video in 4K

That's exactly the thing I was talking about earlier, cherry-picking static shots to fit your narrative. Here's your great FH4 then...

iverdenai_forzahorizo64khy.png

iverdenai_forzahorizolajza.png

Same shit then, and these are not captured from Youtube. Difference is I am not trying to dishonestly misrepresent FH4 just cherry-picking the worst possible shots. I know FH4 doesn't look this bad most of the time.

High quality gameplay videos are not this misrepresenting.

So... on the same hardware Forzas look worse than GT Sport and Driveclub. On vastly superior hardware, they look better... but that's a merit of the game and not the hardware? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Here you go.

PS4 Amateur.
Patch 1.34.
In motion.
10am sun.

zztwWff.jpg

mc6AThL.jpg

66Bx56b.jpg

Dnow3SA.jpg

PS. Most funny part is that the AA is the same in all the pics I posted lol
There's plenty of aliasing in all of these pictures, what's actually worse though is that TAA is so overbearing the whole image is blurry.

ethomaz

Banned
There's plenty of aliasing in all of these pictures, what's actually worse though is that TAA is so overbearing the whole image is blurry.
There is way less aliasing than you Forza 7 pics ;)
I just proved you are wrong, wrong and wrong again with actual gameplay pics.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Of course its a merit of the game. Do you think T10/Playground travelled round taking the highest fidelity shots of skyboxes and photogrammetry to only have their work hampered by the lowly capability of the Xbox. They knew the games were coming to PC so they shot for the stars and then scaled down for console users.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Here, look at the difference, in GTS you can't even see the rails at the back
41546324454_e896c2bebe_o.png

27397051327_3344c32079_o.png

Same here with a 2080s, but even at 4K and with the "long" motion blur option, aliasing and shimmering are very noticeable and annoying. And so is LoD pop-in. But the thing with Forzas is, despite them looking very good most of the time, they never hit those "wow, this looks photorealistic" moments Driveclub and GT Sport do.

Regarding FH3, I was answering the guy that was saying FH3 is the best one, I've been referring to FH4 plenty on this thread, pal.

That's exactly the thing I was talking about earlier, cherry-picking static shots to fit your narrative. Here's your great FH4 then...

iverdenai_forzahorizo64khy.png

iverdenai_forzahorizolajza.png

Same shit then, and these are not captured from Youtube. Difference is I am not trying to dishonestly misrepresent FH4 just cherry-picking the worst possible shots. I know FH4 doesn't look this bad most of the time.

High quality gameplay videos are not this misrepresenting.

So... on the same hardware Forzas look worse than GT Sport and Driveclub. On vastly superior hardware, they look better... but that's a merit of the game and not the hardware? :pie_thinking:
Again you posted the same pictures of that troll wich are low pc setting shots with some edit and ultra zoomed in photomode on low settings. If you played FH4 on your "2080s" rig at ultra quality you will now that it doesn't look like that lol. You are just chatting shit really with that on the same hardware it looks worse bullshit. PS4 is 40% stronger than the base xbox how the fuck is that the same hardware? You make no sense, you come in to comparison thread of the latest and the greatest and you want to use the weakest console and older game for that. Its like picking a VW Beetle in a race with hyper cars.

ethomaz

Banned
Here, look at the difference, in GTS you can't even see the rails at the back
41546324454_e896c2bebe_o.png

27397051327_3344c32079_o.png
I just left the game right now there is a lot of things wrong with your pic... it is not like that... it is not even close to that.

Why did you not post actual gameplay pics like I did? You just need to play and hit Share on controller any time.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

Very nice videos, even with compressed youtube videos and the full screen shots of your youtube video by the XBOX poster posted above.....You can clearly see the realistic looking cars, no toy car look here, the foliage quality, the detail quality, the lighting quality and the effects quality...….They try to post screens of your youtube video whilst MB is on and speak of LOD issues......

Watch these videos in the default youtube screen, not full screen and you will appreciate how Driveclub looks in motion, you barely see any aliasing in motion like in Forza, because the PPAA takes effect, no one is saying that DC has perfect AA, but it is a 1080p game......I'm sure it will have even less jaggies than Forza 7 if it was at 4k....Forza has a huge issue with Specular......The horizon games have more effective AA, but they have other issues.....Forza Motor-Sport 5-7 is still using a deferred renderer whilst Horizon uses a Forward+renderer......

Remember that the GT haters like the one above use a disonest trick to disable the anti-aliasing in GTS to produce bad screenshots purposely. Essentially when the car is stopped the game disable the AA, in motion (the normal condition in a racing game) the AA is active.

Do you remember this pic?

123o2jcz.png

Above - Car at 0 km/h
Below - Car in motion (the normal condition when you play)

Try to talk whit this kind of GT haters is only a waste of time
Yes, that's is why they hate on anyone who posts videos, because it becomes clear...…..Even in DF's videos and Nick 930's you can clearly see the dithering and aliasing on fences and all the specular aliasing in Forza all over the place, on the grills of the cars, electrical lines, any thin objects and lines basically......…..Apparently we play screens and not the game in motion...…….There's a reason a set of folk only want to post screens...….I've mostly posted videos in this thread, it's because we play these games in motion, where effects, PPAA all comes together....

Turk1993

I just left the game right now there is a lot of things wrong with your pic... it is not like that... it is not even close to that.
Foh with that bulshit, pick the same car at the same track and location with the same tod and then show me. Go on then do it, at the same place, prove me that its fake and edited. you guys need to look in the mirror before accusing me with that shit. All my pictures are straight out my pro without touching it.

ethomaz

Banned
Foh with that bulshit, pick the same car at the same track and location with the same tod and then show me. Go on then do it, at the same place, prove me that its fake and edited. you guys need to look in the mirror before accusing me with that shit. All my pictures are straight out my pro without touching it.
Right just say what track, TOD and car you choose (I want to make sure I won't be accused to choose a too dark tod that mask the aliasing)...
I will be happy to serve you.

PS. Yeap you Pro looks worst than my Amatuer... I know I choose the Master Race :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Forza's guys will be out of the thread now that they can't post more bullshot about GTS... you guys can post bullshot pics from Forza yet because I won't check ;)

Last edited:

LostDonkey

You are the one thats ignoring everything, Forza Horizon 4 runs 4K 60fps on my pc. And you are still talking about FH3 wich shows exactly why you are ignoring FH4. Also the video's you post are nothing special, the sunny condions looks more gamey than FH4, it only start to look good when its raining. And the trees don't even load the proper lod look how bad it looks without rain, directly captured from your video in 4K
bFtUA7Z.png

V6J65qa.png

gJFJDjD.png

XMIhYqu.png

zjqiAQa.png

Christ almighty these look terrible, Especially that last pic. Damn

There is way less aliasing than you Forza 7 pics ;)
There is less (on the base console) but there's a reason for it, and there's a caveat to it, a big negative one. A garbage method of AA (TAA) which makes the whole image unclear like a blur filter has been applied to the whole screen.

Since everyone likes to cry lets cover all of our rendering bases. Not the same tracks but both in Japan with the same ToD (mid-afternoon)

1080p Performance Mode

48975830378_fd0a13cb58_o.png

1080p Quality Mode

48975830293_1d25e1b675_o.png

"4K" Mode

48976565362_b7282ff665_o.png

Forza 7

48976595572_1b6af86f5f_o.png

Turk1993

Right just say what track, TOD and car you choose (I want to make sure I won't be accused to choose a too dark tod that mask the aliasing)...
I will be happy to serve you.

PS. Yeap you Pro looks worst than my Amatuer... I know I choose the Master Race :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Forza's guys will be out of the thread now that they can't post more bullshot about GTS... you guys can post bullshot pics from Forza yet because I won't check ;)
Nurnburg GP 12:00 right after the turn where you see the mercedes stadium on the edge of the ribbons close to the pyramide, you can use my pics as guide. And my Forza shots are from gameplay btw ;)

Birdo

Banned
There is less (on the base console) but there's a reason for it, and there's a caveat to it, a big negative one. A garbage method of AA (TAA) which makes the whole image unclear like a blur filter has been applied to the whole screen.

Since everyone likes to cry lets cover all of our rendering bases. Not the same tracks but both in Japan with the same ToD (mid-afternoon)

1080p Performance Mode

48975830378_fd0a13cb58_o.png

1080p Quality Mode

48975830293_1d25e1b675_o.png

"4K" Mode

48976565362_b7282ff665_o.png

Forza 7

48976595572_1b6af86f5f_o.png

Image fidelity aside, the lighting in GTS is so much more natural in those shots.

Forza 7 looks like Daytona USA.

Gingen

Banned
Why did you not post actual gameplay pics like I did? You just need to play and hit Share on controller any time.

Because all his pics are designed specifically to make the game look uglier using all the possible tricks: 12 o'clock time of day to disable the shadows, car immoble trick to disable the AA filter, using time trial where crowd and many other elements off track disappears, etc. etc. etc.

That guy is only a huge troll

thelastword

Banned
When posting Forza 7 pics, please state what system it's coming from, what quality settings etc, so other posters can mimic those screens if need be......From the time you post GTS and can post 4k, quality and 1080p mode, we know you are posting from a PRO....

Gingen

Banned
Nurnburg GP 12:00 right after the turn where you see the mercedes stadium on the edge of the ribbons close to the pyramide, you can use my pics as guide. And my Forza shots are from gameplay btw ;)

Is an old trick

Do you realize that you've bought a PS4 and a copy of GTS only to produce bad pics of the game that you hate? how desperate can be a man to make something like this?

Last edited:

Turk1993

And here is the image quality in FH4 with lots of straight lines and edges to make it even more difficult. Even then it doesn't struggle and looks super clean
5bBaJuA.png

rashbeep

Banned
Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but Driveclub doesn’t hold up. Many muddy textures, some very poor track modeling at spots, and overall poor image quality as compared to later racers in this generation (e.g. GTS, Forza horizon and motorsport, F1). I’m really surprised people are still holding that up. Sure, photo mode shots, low res gifs, and cherry picked shots will make it look awesome. Great fodder for forum debate. But actually play it and compare to the games I mentioned, no contest IMO.

Yep even the lighting only really holds up during dawn or dusk

FH4 and GTS blow it away during clear midday weather

Turk1993

Here.

PS4 Amateur.
Patch 1.34.
In motion.

PFpNK3C.jpg

mB5z3y0.jpg

H9eJILZ.jpg
None of them are at the same place and they still have the same problem as my shots, also my Forza shot still looks cleaner ;). You even tried your buddys trick to soften the image by driving lol.

Last edited:

Gingen

Banned
Germany is 3,600 miles from the Equator, you're a bit slow. Shadows at noon still cast at angles the further you are from the Equator...

Maybe in the real world, but in GTS (and in games in general) when you set the TOD at 12:00 o'clock the condition is the same of the sun at 12:00 at the Equator

this is the reason becaus all the trolls select that TOD... and this is only the first trick of a long list that they use

Turk1993

Is an old trick

Do you realize that you've buyed a PS4 and a copy of GTS only to produce bad pics of the game that you hate? how desperate can be a man to make something like this?
I actualy play the game and like it. I also give them credit for it, but you are a blind fanboy who can't face the reallity, you just hate one game because its not running on your plastic box while i appreciate all the racing games. If you even reallised i gave GTS and Drivelcub alot of props but trolls like you did nothing other than troll so i react in this way because thats the only way you understand. you can't accept facts, you can't even argue without trolling and posting fake shots wich you funny enough accuse me of. I exposed you 100 times, you was even banned from this thread because of shit like that and you still continue to do it.

ethomaz

Banned
None of them are at the same place and they still have the same problem as my shots, also my Forza shot still looks cleaner ;). You even tried your buddys trick to soften the image by driving lol.
Here.

1Ea8DnS.jpg

Your GTS pic looks bullshot...
Yes your pic Forza's pic looks sharper, have way better AA and a way bigger draw distance.... I never commented anything about your Forza's pic that I don't even know where you took it because it is way different from the others Forza 7's pics posted before... is it PC?

BTW my pic was took not in motion this time... it shows 4 km/h but it was already stopped when I took the pic... because you said I was using a trick lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because all his pics are designed specifically to make the game look uglier using all the possible tricks: 12 o'clock time of day to disable the shadows, car immoble trick to disable the AA filter, using time trial where crowd and many other elements off track disappears, etc. etc. etc.

That guy is only a huge troll
I see... I need to reache all these options to take the picture in low quality like him? I mean it is easier just to race and hit Share... I don't care about the TOD used but I like the near sunset races.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Here.

1Ea8DnS.jpg

Your GTS pic looks bullshot...
Yes your pic Forza's pic looks sharper, have way better AA and a way bigger draw distance.... I never commented anything about your Forza's pic that I don't even know where you took it because it is way different from the others Forza 7's pics posted before... is it PC?
Because it on PS4 Pro in 4K mode, while my Forza 7 picture is from my pc at ultra settings.
OMG the trick to drive in a racing game while you play it!!!!!!! this is a terrible trick!

LOL
Not a trick but even that clearly didn't help lol. Its the CB artifact that softens the image wich doesn't look 1800p anymore. If i posted that before you would be crying that im not standing still and that the image looks blurry lol.

Maybe in the real world, but in GTS (and in games in general) when you set the TOD at 12:00 o'clock the condition is the same of the sun at 12:00 at the Equator

this is the reason becaus all the trolls select that TOD... and this is only the first trick of a long list that they use
So what you're saying is Gran Turismo Sport has an inaccurate lighting model while Forza does not. Is that what you're saying?

Turk1993

I see... I need to reache all these options to take the picture in low quality like him? I mean it is easier just to race and hit Share... I don't care about the TOD used but I like the near sunset races.
Yeah yeah its easier lol that why you coulnd't stop at the same place because you tried to do your best to hide it wich failed. I can do the same in Forza in motion or at full stop my image will look the same no matter what. Even the images you posted didin't look better so why are you complaining?

Top Bottom