• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation's Hardware Year in Review

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Biaised article or not? You decide:

PSP
The big news for Sony this year on the hardware front (at least tangibly) was the introduction of the PSP in the US on March 24. Despite shipping 1 million units on day one and selling more than a half million units in the first two days on sale ($150m), the typical hardware shortages and eBay mark-ups happened anyway. On a positive note, the unit came in at a more consumer friendly price than many analysts expected just six to nine months earlier, where talk of $400 was common among pundits. By June, most of the immediate short-term demand had been met and the system settled into more typical availability and sales for the remainder of the year (November and December sales numbers are not available as this is being written).

By mid-October, the PSP's user base had crossed the 10 million mark worldwide, with 4.5 million of those being in North America. Its pace of adoption to this point has exceeded even the PS2's. Roughly 20 million pieces of software have been sold worldwide also by mid-October giving a tie ratio of roughly 2:1 (which is solid for portables, but weak as compared to static console ratios).

A somewhat surprising bright spot with the PSP's release has been the uptake of the UMD movie format by studios and consumers alike. By mid-October, 15 million UMD movies were sold, which is nearly as many games that have sold.

Nintendo DS
When Satoru Iwata gave the keynote speech at GDC in March 2005, he touched on several market factors that lead to the direction chosen for the Nintendo DS (and in many respects also the Revolution). The need to innovate and attract new players to the market was cited as the key motivators in both the design of the system's interfaces and the types of games Nintendo is developing for it. At E3, Iwata presented Japanese sales data for Nintendogs and Brain Training that backed his assertions that Nintendo was broadening the market and attracting new customers with DS. At next year's E3, we hope there will be US data that will bear out similar mechanics for this market.

By the close of March 2005, one year after the launch of the system in Japan (five months after the US's, and only a couple weeks into the European launch) the DS had shipped more than six million systems worldwide. At E3, Nintendo VP of sales and marketing Reggie Fils-Aime's numbers indicated that DS was outselling the PSP worldwide. He quickly countered the obvious counterpunch to his numbers ,that was the PSP wasn't yet released in Europe, by rightly pointing out "that's not my problem".

Many believed the DS wouldn't be able to sustain the onslaught of marketing from Sony's handheld and the versatility the PSP provided, despite Nintendo's historical dominance of the portable category. In reality, a very competitive price point and some innovative titles making use of the system's unique interfaces (Nintendogs, in particular) have kept the DS very competitive in the US.

But all is not rosy with the DS. Third parties are complaining that, as with the Gamecube, their titles are not selling terribly well, with few exceptions. The DS sales charts are dominated by Nintendo titles so there's some question as to whether the wide range of third party support will continue (especially from Western publishers who typically don't benefit from the system's sizable base in Japan).

Revolution
As with the PS3, there are still a lot of questions to be answered. When is the system coming? And at what price point (hinted to be attractive as compared to Xbox 360 and PS3, but how much more attractive) and of course, how will the games actually play. Technical demos showing the controller interface are one thing, but building entire game experience from this interface is quite another. Also, with more limited technical prowess, even with the traditional controller 'sleeve' interface being available, will Revolution conversions of PS3 and Xbox 360 titles remain compelling or will the Revolution titles have to stand on their own as far as financial viability goes? 2006 will hold the answers.

AFAIC, I expected more professionalism from Next-Generation.biz. What a flawed/biased article :-/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Next-Gen is so bad... I swear no one checks their articles for factual errors... everything I read from them is FULL of rediculous shit like what elostyle quoted.

Jewbacca

Banned
As we close out 2005, we've still not yet seen an actually playable PS3 title; we know nothing about launch dates or pricing other than vague hints and innuendo. Rumors that it won't be available in 2006 (and several analysts have expressed serious doubt for Europe to get it in 06 under the best of circumstances) have done the rounds but this is nothing new.

BOOM, this is what fucking bothers me so much about Sony. Its 4-5 Months from the Japanese Launch and still, NO Final Controller, No playable games, No final design, no fucking interface pictures. I see an UNPLAYABLE MGS4, the same fucking concept picture from E3, no more news on Killzone and thats about it. Im annoyed.

jarrod

Banned
malek4980 said:
That's because most DS third party games are terrible, with few exceptions.
JP 3rd party sales are okay, faring much better than PSP. In Japan, PSP software is doing worse than GameCube even.... I wonder how long until the JP support starts to shrivel? It took GC about 2 years....

stewy

I don't see what's wrong with it. Sounds like the DS is a typical Nintendo system. Handful of great games made by Nintendo, third-party support that's lacking by comparison, and will eventually dwindle to almost nothing.

Happened on the N64. Happened on the GameCube. Happening on the DS. I won't be surprised to see it happen on the Revolution.

Now if they were editorializing a bit more, I'd expect to hear about how the games that have come out on the PSP have been largely disappointing, but that's really not the focus of the article it seems.

marc^o^

"By the close of March 2005, one year after the launch of the system in Japan..."
Rrrrright. Okkkay.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
hmm.. I wonder why King Kong and Burnout Legends are not selling.. hmmm

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
heh.. the whole sales thing brings up an interesting point. Nintendo games sell on nintnedo consoles and third parties ahve a hard time selling on nintendo consoles. yet NO ONE ever looks at WHY this is. are nintendo fanboys really that rabid that they are only interested in Nintendo products? Or is it because nintendo products are simply SO much better than typically what is available on their system?

Nintendo going third party would be an interesting experiment. would other third parties then complain that gamers are only buying Nintendo games for sony's system and not buying any of their games (if that were the case)?

jarrod

Banned
stewy said:
I don't see what's wrong with it. Sounds like the DS is a typical Nintendo system. Handful of great games made by Nintendo, third-party support that's lacking by comparison, and will eventually dwindle to almost nothing.

Happened on the N64. Happened on the GameCube. Happening on the DS. I won't be surprised to see it happen on the Revolution.
You don't think DS has just a little bit more in common with say... Game Boy?

jarrod

Banned
borghe said:
heh.. the whole sales thing brings up an interesting point. Nintendo games sell on nintnedo consoles and third parties ahve a hard time selling on nintendo consoles. yet NO ONE ever looks at WHY this is. are nintendo fanboys really that rabid that they are only interested in Nintendo products? Or is it because nintendo products are simply SO much better than typically what is available on their system?
It's always been that way, even on platforms with the majority of 3rd party support (NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DS) Nintendo's games far outsold the competition.

bill0527

Since this is mostly a Sony/Nintendo board, most of you probably didn't make it to page 3, so here are a couple more errors.

there were no significant hardware price changes, no pack-ins, no interesting movements or promotions to shift more hardware and attract new customers.

Forza bundle anyone?

With eBay president and CEO, Meg Whitman claiming that 40,000 Xbox 360s were sold or resold on his auction site (at highly inflated prices), the staggering disparity between supply and demand reaches silly proportions.

Meg Whitman is a SHE. At least it looked like a SHE when I saw her on a 60 minutes feature about ebay last summer.

Microsoft has promised that weekly shipments are going out to retailers, which may well be true, but they aren't getting from retail distribution centers to store shelves on a weekly basis based upon numerous retail surveys. Gamestop/EB are the only retailer that really has the capability to handle quick turnarounds as far as distribution to a store level but those chains are still just dealing with their bulging pre-order lists. Best Buy is close as far as quick fulfillment goes, but its next shipments allegedly wont' be in until December 18 (nearly a month after launch) if you believe multiple store managers at various locations punching numbers into their computers. So somewhere, there has been a disconnect.

Yeah, the disconnect is that Best Buy is sitting on top of their systems in the back of the store until the 18th. Most have been receiving shipments but they've been sitting on them. You also have retail stores like Gamestop offering expensive online bundles regularly while their pre-order customers who wanted just a system are still waiting. Lets also not forget those stories we're hearing about retailers taking their shipments to ebay to double their money. I've also read a ton of stories on other forums from retail employees snagging systems first to put on ebay and even one Target store manager that I know bought 3 premium systems - 1 for his kids, and 2 for ebay.

The disconnect is that Microsoft is shipping to retail regularly, but retail is screwing the regular customer out of the opportunity to purchase.

Xrenity

malek4980 said:
That's because most DS third party games are terrible, with few exceptions.
Indeed, they're crap. Great games like Castlevania do better than expected.

Burnout/NFS is a no-go.

And the PSP's userbase isn't that large.

Teddman

marc^o^ said:
At E3, Nintendo VP of sales and marketing Reggie Fils-Aime's numbers indicated that DS was outselling the PSP worldwide. He quickly countered the obvious counterpunch to his numbers ,that was the PSP wasn't yet released in Europe, by rightly pointing out "that's not my problem"
The actual quote was, "Some people will say that's a flawed comparison because Sony hasn't launched the PSP in Europe yet. You know what, we got to the market when we said we would... If Sony can't deliver on time, that's their problem--Not my issue!" :lol

Unison

Isn't the whole point of developing for DS that the dev. costs are lower and sales don't need to be as high to make money?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jewbacca said:
BOOM, this is what fucking bothers me so much about Sony. Its 4-5 Months from the Japanese Launch and still, NO Final Controller, No playable games, No final design, no fucking interface pictures. I see an UNPLAYABLE MGS4, the same fucking concept picture from E3, no more news on Killzone and thats about it. Im annoyed.

So I guess Nintendo REALLY REALLY bothers you then right?

impirius

Teddman said:
The actual quote was, "Some people will say that's a flawed comparison because Sony hasn't launched the PSP in Europe yet. You know what, we got to the market when we said we would... If Sony can't deliver on time, that's their problem--Not my issue!" :lol
Seriously!

I'd like to see Next-Gen's take on some of the other great quotes...

Patrick Henry: "I want liberty"

Ben Franklin: "You should go to bed early"

George W. Bush: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

stewy

jarrod said:
You don't think DS has just a little bit more in common with say... Game Boy?

I dunno. I mean, the GB and the DS have something in common in that they're both a lot cheaper to develop for. But to be a standout title on the DS you need to be able to come up with some sort of unique application for the hardware (Trauma Center, Feel the Magic) or be an established franchise like Castlevania.

I'm sure the third party support on DS will last longer because, as with the game boy, publishers don't need to sell as much product to turn a profit on the system, but I mean...it'll end up being the same thing as before. Handful of great Nintendo games that sell well, good third party support from a select group of publishers (Capcom, Konami, etc) and loads of shovelware that no one gives two shits about.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the DS. Heck, I've been playing it more than any other system lately. It's doing far better that I would have believed possible even six months ago. But it is a typical Nintendo system.

littlewig

Banned
wow, Stewy has no clue what he's talking about...

Sorry, but you have some lame stereotypical view on Nintendo and are applying it to Nintendo DS when all FACTS (somehting this article lacks) suggest otherwise.

Third patty support for the DS shriviling? Sorry, but it has more support than Sony and it gaining more and more as it continues to stomp the competition in sales.

jarrod

Banned
stewy said:
I dunno. I mean, the GB and the DS have something in common in that they're both a lot cheaper to develop for. But to be a standout title on the DS you need to be able to come up with some sort of unique application for the hardware (Trauma Center, Feel the Magic) or be an established franchise like Castlevania.
Isn't that really true of all platforms though? It's easy to try a differentiate DS because it's capabilities overtly extend beyond the usual chipset upgrade, but generally the same rule applies to every Game Boy, PlayStation or Xbox out there.

stewy said:
I'm sure the third party support on DS will last longer because, as with the game boy, publishers don't need to sell as much product to turn a profit on the system, but I mean...it'll end up being the same thing as before. Handful of great Nintendo games that sell well, good third party support from a select group of publishers (Capcom, Konami, etc) and loads of shovelware that no one gives two shits about.
This is more an issue with east versus west though, in regards to how they view the handheld market and give priority to it. In Japan, major effort is put into their handheld titles and as a result, those games tend to be the AAA releases the world over, while western publishers are content to port shovelware around and rely more on cash-in licenses. Western developers tend to favor high end technology too, focusing on consoles and computers, treating handhelds as secondary, disposable markets at best.

On a sidenote, I really think this is the biggest threat to PSP's future... the platform runs the risk of losing AAA Japanese software with it's home market performance and it hasn't really convinced the western development community to shift their priorities en mass when they can simply port over console projects on the cheap. Things are decent out the gates it's first year, but PSP might find itself in serious trouble down the line if current trends continue. When we move into 3rd/4th generation software that's greenlighted based on platform performance rather than platform predictions, we'll be better able to gauge PSP's future.

stewy said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the DS. Heck, I've been playing it more than any other system lately. It's doing far better that I would have believed possible even six months ago. But it is a typical Nintendo system.
I'd disagree, to me DS seems a dramatic sign of shifting priorities for Nintendo, but whatever.

bud

By mid-October, the PSP's user base had crossed the 10 million mark worldwide, with 4.5 million of those being in North America.

By the close of March 2005, one year after the launch of the system in Japan (five months after the US's, and only a couple weeks into the European launch) the DS had shipped more than six million systems worldwide.

:lol :lol :lol

cvxfreak

bill0527 said:
Meg Whitman is a SHE. At least it looked like a SHE when I saw her on a 60 minutes feature about ebay last summer.

:lol :lol

megwhitman.jpg

stewy

littlewig said:
wow, Stewy has no clue what he's talking about...

Sorry, but you have some lame stereotypical view on Nintendo and are applying it to Nintendo DS when all FACTS (somehting this article lacks) suggest otherwise.

Third patty support for the DS shriviling? Sorry, but it has more support than Sony and it gaining more and more as it continues to stomp the competition in sales.

Hey, I'm just going off what happened with the last couple Nintendo consoles. And to some degree with the Game Boy Advance. Are you trying to tell me that there's some great flood of quality third party software on that system, too?

Look back at any Nintendo system post SNES and look at the honestly worthwhile titles, and the ratio of Nintendo games to anything else is staggering. The article is stating all signs point to something similar happening on the DS, and I agree with that. Just looking at the current crop of titles it's easy to see it already happening. Sure, the support is there, but the quality is sorely lacking. For every Trauma Center or Phoenix Wright you have two Pac N Rolls or Burnouts.

This isn't a shot against Nintendo. This isn't to say Sony or Microsoft systems don't suffer a severe glut of shit. This is just to say that, on Nintendo systems, you tend to have an inordinate amount of the GOOD games coming from one source. On the other systems, it tends to be a bit more spread out, with more room for a third party game to become a bonafide hit. That makes those markets more attractive to third party publishers, hence dwindling support for Nintendo platforms.

I could be completely wrong about this. I hope I am, because despite how unimpressed I was with the hardware originally, the DS has really come into its own. But you can't deny that this is the trend when it comes to Nintendo systems post SNES.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bud said:
:lol :lol :lol

Exactly! Why the hell are people still taking next-gen seriously? Their articles have been like this since their "rebirth." It's actually NONE of the same people... just next-gen in name only.

I don't just rag on them because they're a competitor to my publication. I mean, I read gi.biz, and like them. I rag on them because they're shit.

jarrod

Banned
stewy said:
I could be completely wrong about this. I hope I am, because despite how unimpressed I was with the hardware originally, the DS has really come into its own. But you can't deny that this is the trend when it comes to Nintendo systems post SNES.
As I mentioned earlier, it was the same with Nintendo systems pre N64 too. Nintendo games were by a wide margin the best sellers, and shovelware/crap 3rd party games also outnumbered good 3rd party games over 2 to 1. Same for Xbox and PlayStation actually, minus the Nintendo games selling best part.

stewy

jarrod said:
As I mentioned earlier, it was the same with Nintendo systems pre N64 too. Nintendo games were by a wide margin the best sellers, and shovelware/crap 3rd party games also outnumbered good 3rd party games over 2 to 1. Same for Xbox and PlayStation actually, minus the Nintendo games selling best part.

I dunno much about exactly how things sold pre N64, so I'll take your word for that.

And you're right. The PlayStation and Xbox have loads of shit on them as well. But the difference is the top 10% of sales aren't dominated by one company. I think that has something to do with the fall off of third party support on Nintendo systems.

That and ever since the N64, Nintendo's gone a bit haywire with the hardware. Cart-based N64, weird controller setup on the GC, totally unique hardware with the DS, and the TV remote for the revolution. Evolutionary, sure. But not exactly the most friendly environment for third party publishers that want to make sure their product can be played across all platforms.

jarrod

Banned
stewy said:
And you're right. The PlayStation and Xbox have loads of shit on them as well. But the difference is the top 10% of sales aren't dominated by one company. I think that has something to do with the fall off of third party support on Nintendo systems.
Possibly. 3rd parties did appreciate the chance to shine on PlayStation (unlike Nintendo and SEGA platforms, where 2nd best was the ceiling). It likely factored into it, though SEGA and (especially) Nintendo's restrictive, unfair practices likely had more to do with the shift.

stewy said:
That and ever since the N64, Nintendo's gone a bit haywire with the hardware. Cart-based N64, weird controller setup on the GC, totally unique hardware with the DS, and the TV remote for the revolution. Evolutionary, sure. But not exactly the most friendly environment for third party publishers that want to make sure their product can be played across all platforms.
But you're overlooking the fact that, unlike N64/GC, DS has had an overwhelming commitment by 3rd parties. This isn't a N64-style shift here, it's a SNES/GBA-style continuation.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hahaha. That stupid article has so many mistakes it's not even funny. Well, okay maybe a little. :lol :lol

KINGMOKU

Tim the Wiz said:
I thought that as of October, the DS sold six million, while the PSP only sold 4.26 million. Didn't Next Gen get the memo?
Yeah they did, unfortantly, it came from thier ass. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
But all is not rosy with the DS. Third parties are complaining that, as with the Gamecube, their titles are not selling terribly well, with few exceptions. The DS sales charts are dominated by Nintendo titles so there's some question as to whether the wide range of third party support will continue (especially from Western publishers who typically don't benefit from the system's sizable base in Japan).
Oh dear.

Yes... and 3rd party games are really selling SO much better on the PSP.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mashing said:
Did I wake up an an alternate timeline where the PSP has sold 5+ million overnight?

They gave "shipped" to the wrong company. :lol

And actually, the DS is over 8 million since November isn't it? I mean, that's what Reggie said.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Oblivion said:
They gave "shipped" to the wrong company. :lol

And actually, the DS is over 8 million since November isn't it? I mean, that's what Reggie said.

Well they should reach 4 million sold in Japan alone, by this week, if they haven't already reached that number. So 8 million sounds like a good number.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jewbacca said:

WTF are you talking about???

Guess what?....in early May 2005, 6 months before launch, you didn't even have any official pictures of an Xbox 360, let alone games, controllers or whatever....

FURTHERMORE!!!!

With the PS3 showing at E3 2005, this is the the *earliest* look we have had of a PlayStation console EVER

The PSOne had its first japanese public showing at a special PlayStation show in July of 1994....the console launched in Japan Dec 3rd, 1994, just FIVE months later...

The PS2?

The casing and games were first shown at TGS in September 1999 and launched in March 2000 just Six months later....

And what about *other* consoles??

Xbox 360

Unveiled May 2005 at E3 and launched in November 2005-SIX MONTHS

Dreamcast

Unveiled May 1998 at E3 and launched in November 1998-SIX MONTHS

Xbox

Unveiled January 2001 at CES and launched in November 2001-TEN MONTHS

Gamecube

Unveiled Aug 2000 at Spaceworld and launched in November 2000-TWELVE
MONTHS

PLAYSTATION 3

Unveiled May 2005 at E3 and said to launch Spring 2006 which is between April and June-BETWEEN ELEVEN AND THIRTEEN MONTHS

Revolution

Unveiled May 2005 at E3 and said to launch thanksgiving 2006 -EIGHTEEN MONTHS

With the exception of the Nintendo Revolution, the PS3 unveiling is the longest ever preview of a console in recent memory....so again, WTF are you talking about???

impirius said:
Seriously!

I'd like to see Next-Gen's take on some of the other great quotes...

Patrick Henry: "I want liberty"

Ben Franklin: "You should go to bed early"

George W. Bush: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

:lol

Great! I got it, even though it looks like I may be the only one.

And my God, what a horrible article. If it were just a little more inaccurate and slanted, I would've thought it was a deliberate joke.

marc^o^

It makes me wonder how they expect to be taken seriously by the insiders they are trying to reach... Shouldn't we help them a little? :lol

marc^o^

Our daily dose of Next-Generation.biz fun:

Europe's Year in Review
DS and PSP Launch

Of consoles which launched properly, the DS shattered expectations on its European debut. 87,000 consoles was a record-breaker in March, illustrating the fact that, actually, we quite like working ourselves up into a fevered state of excitement watching other people play with things that we can’t have. So much so that on the day of release, we’ll happily queue for ages to buy a machine which ironically can entertain us queuing.

Then the PSP showed how we love wide screens better than dual: 180k, week one – an astonishing achievement, particularly given the negative press about the machine prior to release. Remember the concerns? Battery life of two seconds, UMDs flying out all over the place, pre-release kits boasting screens which weren’t real – or even if they were, they’d scratch if you dared even think about them, let alone look at them.

Of course, all of the above was speculation from cynical Internet journalists, though European consumers would never have been able to tell, because our PSPs were better than anyone else’s in the world.

jarrod

Banned
DSN2K said:
how are game sales on PSP going anyone know ?
In Japan, worse than GameCube. In America/Europe, pretty decent.

Could PSP be the handheld Xbox? Will JP support dry up soon?

ziran

borghe said:

Nintendo going third party would be an interesting experiment. would other third parties then complain that gamers are only buying Nintendo games for sony's system and not buying any of their games (if that were the case)?
obviously the bolded statement is true, proved by the ds.

a large amount of the ds's success has been because of new franchises, especially in japan. nintendogs, brain training, gentle brain excercises, daredemo asobi taisen and jss (although based on existing characters) are all new. it's not like consumers go, 'oh, a nintendo game, must buy', because not every nintendo published ds game sells well, fact.

nintendo deserves every credit and praise for its ds line-up. they've put their money where their mouth is and thrown significant resources at ds and shown they're the most talented developer in the world when it comes to understanding what people want to play.

good job nintendo! :)

ziran

DSN2K said:
how are game sales on PSP going anyone know ?
pretty good in europe and NA, but terrible in japan.

For 2005 ds software looks like it will outsell psp software by a factor of 7:1! yet ds hardware will only have a 2:1 advantage (or probably less).

3rd party software has sold pretty well on ds. there have been many titles over 100k. low dev costs help and i imagine profitability could be acheived by selling 50k for many games.

bitwise

Banned
marc^o^ said:
AFAIC, I expected more professionalism from Next-Generation.biz. What a flawed/biased article :-/

after seeing their articles as of late, I certainly didn't. I don't really consider them very professional at all.

Top Bottom