• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation's Hardware Year in Review

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Our daily dose of Next-Generation.biz fun:
Analysis: Game Company Market Values

On a more immediate note, we have spent the holiday season visiting all the major retail chains to evaluate stocking, shelf space, displays and other merchandising issues.
[...]
The biggest disappointment we have found so far is what we would consider to be very weak merchandising for the Sony PSP. Many stores have displays for the Nintendo portable systems, but not the PSP. What is worse is the tendency for stores to have a larger selection of UMD movies than PSP games. Furthermore, the movies are often mixed right in with the games. The portable battle is likely to get very interesting over the next two years.

Is it the case in the US? Because in Europe it is by far the opposite. PSP shelf space is huge.

Striek

I'll comment on Australia, (in my experience) shelfspace for PSP is generally the same size as DS, but PSP is in "prime" position. I don't really stand around watching people shop, but people do seem to pick up the PSP box alot(to check it out).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
marc^o^ said:
Our daily dose of Next-Generation.biz fun:
Analysis: Game Company Market Values

Is it the case in the US? Because in Europe it is by far the opposite. PSP shelf space is huge.

I read in a post here I believe that Gamestop/EB sent out memos to start giving the DS more prominant positioning because of recent increase in sales. But here in town it varies from one store to the next. Even the two Wal-marts are different. One has a big endcap glass case display of PSP games, and a small section of the GBA section set for DS games. And the other has the PSP and DS sharing a case with the DS getting more of it. Both have UMD movies with the movie section.

Is Next Gen sponsored by Sony? Dispite all their errors, they seem to be campaigning for the PSP (at least with what's being shown in this thread).

Top Bottom